Share your Pattaya/Jomtien breakfast wishlist here

thairookie

SOS, Sh - - on a shingle, chipped beef on toast and biscuits and gravy with sausage

Not sure if this is getting off the topic, but you may not be aware that the Moonshine Bar (soi 4) makes pretty good SOS (American style). Both the Moonshine Bar and Pastrami on Rye make biscuits and gravy w/ sausage.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My perfect Breakfast:

Fried egg - just one, fresh and cooked to perfection with firm whites, runny yokes - no crozzling!!

Scrambled eggs - two eggs, not too firm with a little diced onion and a light cheese coating.

Sausages - preferably a good pork breakfast sausage that isn't 95% breadcrumbs. Definitely not a Thai plastic sausage.

Bacon - preferably streaky that isn't full of water - three rashers thanks.

Hash browns - not the ones you buy at the supermarket or Mackers, but real home made ones.

Mushrooms - fresh (not canned), whole portabello and lightly sautéed in butter.

Beans - Heinz preferably.

Fried bread - cooked properly in dripping or lard. Yeah, 3 million calories a slice but uber tasty with the runny eggs.

Black pudding - just a little bit, and perhaps a little white pudding to boot.

Grilled tomatoes - fresh and not those disgusting canned abominations.

Lambs kidneys - grilled or fried.

Toast and Marmalade - I'll settle for Smuckers out here, it's not too bad.

And against my usual preference I'll finish with Tea rather than coffee. There's just something about the combined taste of tea and marmalade that brings back some fond childhood memories.

Try the George Pub in Jomtiem,very good breakfast and with most of the above homemade hash browns. They have a Facebook page,wish I was,there now.

Yep I've done the George, and before when it was Yorkies and then Coco's. However I have to say that the brekkie at The Caddy Shack on Thepprasit soi 8 is generally tastier and has the same menu.

To be fair the best brekkie in Jomtien is at my place when I can be arsed to get everything organised on a day I haven't got a hangover so I can cook it. My girl does a fair imitation but not as good as me.

Mind you, I taught her how to poach an egg properly and make hollandaise sauce and she's better at eggs benni than me now. The Bitch. coffee1.gif

She turns out poached eggs better than most chefs. Mind you, I taught her the secret. thumbsup.gif

Please tell me you didn't teach her to put vinegar in the water.

It is the most disgusting thing I've tasted first thing in the morning.

Breakfast is, perhaps, my most important meal. I miss chicken fried steak (hopefully, made with top quality ground round from the USA/Canada), w/ gravy, hashbrowns, eggs over-easy, and biscuits.......very healthy (not).

attachicon.gif7375.jpg

attachicon.gifhHYufmJ.jpg

I am willing to pay 220 bhat (no more). So, that pretty much means that I will not be seeing this anytime soon.

But why can't anyone make real hash browns (actually, the Continental does but they give it some Swiss name.....rosti?).

serious question ........ what is the whitish 'gravy'/sauce ?

It is "cream gravy," and here is how to make it: 1) 2 tblsp of "healthy" lard/bacon fat, 2) one tblsp of flour, 3) make a roux, 4) add milk (maybe 1.5-2 cups or so), 5) small amount of salt and good deal of pepper, 6) let it thicken (stirring the hell out of it). If too think, add more milk........etc.

http://www.unclejerryskitchen.com/recipes/southern-white-gravy-just-like-moms/

Great with SOS, biscuits, CF steak and ice cream.

So its a "basic" white sauce..............

Griits (and don't tell me that yellow Italian crap is the same thing), some good country sausage, a couple of runny eggs, and freshly brewed Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.. The 10-pack of frozen pork sausage at Makro is OK if you thaw it out, add some spices to the package, shake well, and then freeze it again in packs of 3. I also make country sausage which will be much improved when my brother-in-law finishes his smoker. Breakfast is by far the best meal of the day for me.

Please tell me you didn't teach her to put vinegar in the water.

It is the most disgusting thing I've tasted first thing in the morning.

+1 thumbsup.gif

Yes vinegar in water for Poached eggs.

very nasty taste to the eggs. bah.gif

I don't mind the vinegar, but has to be just a teaspoon of white vinegar. Maybe it's a British thing.

Although it's not really necessary provided you strain off the excess raw white with a sieve before you immerse the egg from a soup ladle into simmering water with a rapidly spinning vortex.

Two crispy bacon sarnies,with HP sauce, a good strong cup of Tetleys.And then another good,strong cup of Tetleys.The sandwhich bread should preferably be from a crusty cob loaf,but I'm too far away from Lotus in the city.But the sliced bread in my local shop is pretty good.

SOS, Sh - - on a shingle, chipped beef on toast and biscuits and gravy with sausage

Not sure if this is getting off the topic, but you may not be aware that the Moonshine Bar (soi 4) makes pretty good SOS (American style). Both the Moonshine Bar and Pastrami on Rye make biscuits and gravy w/ sausage.

They use ground beef; that is not authentic. It's supposed to be CHIPPED beef.

When I was young, my girlfriend's father, who was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy,

used to knock up something called a cheesy-hammie-eggie, which I believe was a

popular dish in the RN.

I adopted this dish as my own, and used to make it as a breakfast dish for my family

when my children were growing up. Everyone loved it (and Dad was a bit of a hero)!

Is it to be found in any of the Pattaya/Jomtien eateries (probably run by ex-pat Brits)?

And the Pontiff has spoken ................... yet again ... so listen up

Breakfast is, perhaps, my most important meal. I miss chicken fried steak (hopefully, made with top quality ground round from the USA/Canada), w/ gravy, hashbrowns, eggs over-easy, and biscuits.......very healthy (not).

attachicon.gif7375.jpg

attachicon.gifhHYufmJ.jpg

I am willing to pay 220 bhat (no more). So, that pretty much means that I will not be seeing this anytime soon.

But why can't anyone make real hash browns (actually, the Continental does but they give it some Swiss name.....rosti?).

serious question ........ what is the whitish 'gravy'/sauce ?

It is "cream gravy," and here is how to make it: 1) 2 tblsp of "healthy" lard/bacon fat, 2) one tblsp of flour, 3) make a roux, 4) add milk (maybe 1.5-2 cups or so), 5) small amount of salt and good deal of pepper, 6) let it thicken (stirring the hell out of it). If too think, add more milk........etc.

http://www.unclejerryskitchen.com/recipes/southern-white-gravy-just-like-moms/

Great with SOS, biscuits, CF steak and ice cream.

So its a "basic" white sauce..............

Well, I guess it is a version of a basic white sauce........yes. In many southern states in the USA it has a considerable amount of pepper. Some people put ground beef in it......others put ground sausage in it.......some put no meat in it (only salt and pepper) and serve it over mashed potatoes, chicken friend steak, etc.

I will take your word about "authenticity," but in the southern states of the USA it is typically comprised of: oil, salt, pepper, flour (for the roux). Some people add ground beef to it, which is great. Others add ground sausage to it, which is also great. Some do not add anything to it (only salt and pepper) and serve it over mashed potatoes, chicken friend steak, biscuits, etc. I think I sort of just repeated myself. I have neither seen nor eaten the chipped beef version in the USA. That might be good for a change.

You're confusing issues.

I was talking about a specific classic American dish: CREAMED CHIPPED BEEF.

The word CHIPPED is in the name of the dish!

It wouldn't be the same dish without the beef being CHIPPED.

It's actually not popular in restaurants.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of it now consumed was from frozen food packets.

post-37101-0-38887200-1456655845_thumb.j

BTW, my Dad was a WW2 soldier and he told me the SOS they served which of course was no culinary delight did indeed include CHIPPED beef. So in my view, SOS and creamed chipped beef are the same thing, with chipped beef.

Edited by Jingthing

Tomatoe sandwiches! You use really good bread, not the Wonder bread kind, then butter, and slice tomatoes on it. Have to use good tomatoes, not the kind that are picked green and turned into red god knows how. Then cut some dill, salt and ground black pepper. Dill is super important and often overlooked.

I'd like a breakfast place that offers those, I eat usually 10.

Sounds great! Where to find the tomatoes? Thai tomatoes have no taste ... perhaps it's too hot here.

Friendship, imported tomatoes 75 baht per kilo . They taste like a normal tomato grown in the west. I buy 2 kilos every time.

If there is a meal you can easily prepare at home it is a decent breakfast. I can understand it if you're just visiting as a tourist , but if you live here I would save that money for breakfast and spend them on a real dinner instead.

If I want fried eggs, bacon , fried tomatoes , beans or whatever, and always a good cup of coffee in my home. 10 minutes in the kitchen is all you need really

You're confusing issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of it now consumed was from frozen food packets.

attachicon.gifccb.jpg

BTW, my Dad was a WW2 soldier and he told me the SOS they served which of course was no culinary delight did indeed include CHIPPED beef. So in my view, SOS and creamed chipped beef are the same thing, with chipped beef.

I take back what I said about creamed chipped beef. It really looks disgusting to me. My Dad served in WWII. He was the one who taught me how to make SOS. He never told me about "chipped beef." I assume that is the way it was made because the dried meat was preserved, which would make sense during WWII w/ no refrigerators around. My Dad always made SOS with ground round beef--same as hamburgers. I grew up assuming that was how it was supposed to be made. SOS (not creamed chipped beef) can be found now at the Moonshine Bar. Ned, the owner, also makes biscuits and sausage gravy (creamed gravy with sausage....maybe sometimes uses ground beef) and so does Pastrami on Rye. It is not health food, but it is good for a change.

If there is a meal you can easily prepare at home it is a decent breakfast. I can understand it if you're just visiting as a tourist , but if you live here I would save that money for breakfast and spend them on a real dinner instead.

If I want fried eggs, bacon , fried tomatoes , beans or whatever, and always a good cup of coffee in my home. 10 minutes in the kitchen is all you need really

Yes, if you need to save money, sure, but some of us get up very early in the morning and the last thing we want to do is cook something and then clean dishes, etc. I am usually half asleep at breakfast, but wake up before it is over. Also, breakfast is sometimes a type of "bulls%it" session w/ friends that can last two hours or more.

Somebody mentioned grits! Yes, that is on my wish list. Grits, eggs, bacon and coffee. Speaking of coffee, it would be nice if just one establishment in Thailand could actually make a decent cup of coffee. I am often forced to drink tea instead.

And one final comment about eggs: Why is it so hard for people to cook "eggs over easy?" Is that really that hard to do? Three do: Moonshine Bar, Pastrami on Rye and Rich Man Poor Man. I have never had a properly cooked egg at any Thai or British place.

You're confusing issues.

attachicon.gifccb.jpg

I take back what I said about creamed chipped beef. It really looks disgusting to me. My Dad served in WWII. He was the one who taught me how to make SOS. He never told me about "chipped beef." I assume that is the way it was made because the dried meat was preserved, which would make sense during WWII w/ no refrigerators around. My Dad always made SOS with ground round beef--same as hamburgers. I grew up assuming that was how it was supposed to be made. SOS (not creamed chipped beef) can be found now at the Moonshine Bar. Ned, the owner, also makes biscuits and sausage gravy (creamed gravy with sausage....maybe sometimes uses ground beef) and so does Pastrami on Rye. It is not health food, but it is good for a change.

It's not something most people really want every day. Chipped or not. I don't need it ever again.

I do believe that there are far more important matters pondered than life after breakfast ...

Is there life after BACON is a much more relevant problem !!

For without bacon* life ceases to have meaning ...

* Unsmoked dry cured back bacon, to be precise !!

You're confusing issues.

attachicon.gifccb.jpg

Armour would sell the chipped beef in a lil jar, they also make bacon, Armour Meatpacking company out of Chicago, I eat Stouffers if Lazy, Not Bad Edited by Ireland32

You're confusing issues.

attachicon.gifccb.jpg

In the British Military (Royal Navy at least) we had Shit on a Raft which was kidneys in gravy on toast, another great breakfast dish.

I would love to be able to walk into a restaurant/cafe and have Spam with Egg and Beans. I was brought up with spam in London, during and after the war. That was one of the few meats we could, get so I'm told

You sound like an addict to me. You need help. Have you tried Spamaholics Anonymous ?

I think your right I get withdrawals if I go without spam too long. I haven't tried spamaholics anonymous yet. Maybe I'll give it a try.