VDO: A young cop praised by netizens for his heroic exploit

rooster59

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How come I do my job everyday but no one calls me a hero?

Not fair .......

According to your logic, I guess the firemen and police officers killed in 9-11 weren't heroes because they "were only doing their job"

Police in other countries are called heroes for doing their job or the firemen, paramedics or the soldiers....oh...that's right they aren't Thai right? Yes, how could a Thai possibly be considered equal to their masters from say, oh I don't know, farangatopian anywhere! I'm so very sorry I forgot that to some here being a member of THAI visa requires you to show disdain towards anything THAI right?

I for applaud the actions of the young officer and the rest of his unit. If you watch the whole video back up was close behind and effective. Well done to RTP in this case..

Raspberries (and more) to detractors

Hi ho silver bloody idiot firing a gun from a moving motorbike at a moving car.

Passers by could have quite easily have been killed.

Would he have been hailed a hero then?

Thai cops shake down innocent farangs... haters gonna hate.

Thai cops do a good job on local punks... haters still gonna hate.

PS. Did you even look at the video and see all those lucky passers by?

Less dangerous than it sounds. They were moving quite slowly because of the heavy traffic.

Have you seen the video? They were driving at least 100km per hour. It was very brave that he shot the tires. US police would have point his gun to the driver...

First of all, why do so many comment or ask for the link to the video when all you have to do is click on the link in the OP? The full story and the video is there.

The officer is not riding a stepthrough. It looks more like a CBR150 or similar brand. Note the windscreen, gauges and low handlebars. He is not at high speed when he shoots. In fact he has to take his hand off the throttle to draw his gun and do so. His gun was also out of bullets when he came to a stop. Note the locked open slide.

Second; In the U.S, we are not allowed to shoot at a moving vehicle. It would have to be extreme circumstance where a life is in imminent danger. In fact, in most jurisdictions we are not even allowed to chase anymore. Again, except for some extreme exceptions. Yes, there are news stories of cases where the rules are broken by a 'rogue' officer, but it is the exception not the rule.

Under circumstances in the story and the video, in the U.S. state where I worked, neither the chase or the gunfire would have been justified. It would have been the Supervisor's responsibility to call this chase off shortly after it started...................... Under Thai rules, I say "Good Job". smile.png

Edited: Sorry, some clarification before I get flamed by those who watch to many TV shows. I don't know the specifics of Thai law. But I am replying to the above quote re; the U.S. You have two, possibly three laws broken. Failure to Obey the Directions of a Police Officer (not stopping at the checkpoint) and Reckless Driving. Both traffic offenses. Then, you have Fleeing and Eluding a police officer. Again, a traffic offense but considered a misdemeanor or in some states now a 2 year felony. None of these justify the use of Deadly Force.

Courts have ruled in multitudes of law suits where chases injure civilians, that if the police stop chasing, the perpetrator will stop fleeing, thus ending the danger to the public.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

He fired his gun at a moving vehicle while riding his bike? If that's true, that is <deleted> stupid.

Surely he fired when the vehicle was at rest?

There's always the sad miserable detractors...

You don't think firing at a moving vehicle is dangerous?

No I do it all the time.whistling.gif

The PIT maneuver you refer to is only done under very specific guidelines regarding other traffic and considerations of danger to all concerned. Even then only by those trained to do so.

I still feel that shooting at a moving vehicle carries a lot of danger but those who have seen the video say it was done in manner that was safer than it sounds. I'll accept this is the case as I have not seen the video, however it is still something I'd rather not have law enforcement [anywhere in the world] did.

Just too much that can go wrong.

I think any vehicle that breaks through a roadblock should be fired upon using assault rifles when it can be done in a reasonably safe manner.

In the video, the cop was 4 or 5 meters away without anybody else in the immediate vicinity, so I'd say it was reasonably safe to fire, although nobody is never 100% safe from an unfortunate ricochet, not even the shooter himself. But people also get struck by lightning...

Edited by manarak

Hi ho silver bloody idiot firing a gun from a moving motorbike at a moving car.

Passers by could have quite easily have been killed.

Would he have been hailed a hero then?

I wasn't there.

I don't know anything other than what was written and what was on a video.

I don' know what the RTP police policy is on shottng at moving vehicles, if there is one.

I was taught to "know your target and what's behind it".

I was taught not to shoot if there s a danger of hitting bystanders.

I was taught not to call other people names.

I prefer to let others say, do or think what they like.

I am not in control of the police in my host country or any other country.

My days of "being the expert" are over and I leave it to others to assume that title.

He fired his gun at a moving vehicle while riding his bike? If that's true, that is <deleted> stupid.

You don't think firing at a moving vehicle is dangerous?

Could be, but not in this instance IMO.

Very well done Mr. Cop.

This chase went on for quite some time, and at times under very difficult conditions for him as a pursuing lawman, but regardless of that, he clearly was absolutely determined to do his duty to the very best of his ability and with a very successful outcome. Well done young man, a very good example to your colleges and definitely worthy of praise.

Bluespunk, on 27 Feb 2016 - 05:04, said:

If you watch the video, you can clearly see that the cop was only a few feet from the car when he shot out the tire and he was not driving his motorbike...Also, there was no one else near by in case he missed..

Good looking maybe a bit naive young lad its obvious that he has not yet read the training manual about picking the low hanging fruit. If he shows proper initiative he may eventually be promoted where he will be the the "handmaiden" for one of the higher ups. From what I have seen to many good cops that could be doing serious work on the streets are men in waiting for officers of rank. I have seen this first hand. This part has always bugged me. What a waste of much needed manpower on the streets.

Bluespunk, on 27 Feb 2016 - 05:04, said:

If you watch the video, you can clearly see that the cop was only a few feet from the car when he shot out the tire and he was not driving his motorbike...Also, there was no one else near by in case he missed..

If you read the rest of this thread you'll notice I've acknowledged that.

People heaping praise on this cop, who bought his own gopro, just waiting for something like this to happen.Then posted to farcebook...

How long before other cops want the same praise heaped on them and try something similar.

Stupid accident waiting to happen.

People heaping praise on this cop, who bought his own gopro, just waiting for something like this to happen.Then posted to farcebook...

How long before other cops want the same praise heaped on them and try something similar.

Bet you hate anything that has a positive bent to it, especially things outside your sphere of existence.

Only in Thailand would a cop get praise for acting recklessly and firing a gun when there was no need, better than scamming the motorist for a made up offence maybe, but hardly worthy of praise. Probably young girls taken in by the blokes looks than anything else.

Bet you hate anything that has a positive bent to it, especially things outside your sphere of existence.
And I bet you think you know everything about everyone, just because you like to think you have something important to say..grow up

And I bet you think you know everything about everyone, just because you like to think you have something important to say..grow up

Seems you need to grow up, the cop was doing his job, or didn't you notice in your rush to criticise.

Seems you need to grow up, the cop was doing his job, or didn't you notice in your rush to criticise.
I choose to ignore idiots who say the cop should have shot the person to remove them from the gene pool.

Your parents must be so proud.

Rather interesting to see some of the comments here.I wonder if those negative bodies would be as happy if they had suffered at a criminals hands and the police employed the same tactics the young officer did to arrest their assailant.

Policing here is very different in many ways to that of many of the members home countries did to arrest the offender.

The driver of the car had no good intentions, he cut and ran he got caught.

The officer concerned displayed a very high level of devotion to duty.

Congratulations to him for his work.

I choose to ignore idiots who say the cop should have shot the person to remove them from the gene pool.

Your parents must be so proud.

If you want to start a pissing match that is up to you, but get permission from your parents first, if you know who they are.