Damaged Passport/Transfer visa stamps

What's the situation regarding transferring a Tourist Visa Stamp from a damaged Passport into a new Passport? Can this be done at Immigration or would I have to leave and get them done at a border crossing or Airport?

If they can't be transferred at Immigration would I have to leave as soon as I got my new Passport? I have copy's of the visa stamp and Arrival card

I am not on Overstay BTW to make things clearer

Edited by darrendsd

It depends on the amount of damage. If the entry stamp can still be read in the old passport there is no need to do anything apart from present both passports to the IO on departure.

If the stamp is unreadable go to immigration and they will likely reinstate the stamp in the new passport.

A visa cannot be transferred. Immigration will only transfer your entry/permit to stay stamp to your new passport.

After you get you new passport you wait until you need to leave the country and show both passports. They will transfer your entry stamp to the new passport and stamp you out of the country in it.

Thanks Joe,

So I present both PP's to Immi (Hua Hin) and they will then transfer the entry stamp to the new Passport, this is correct?

Tourist Visas are eligible for 60 days, would I still be able to get the 30 day extension on the Tourist Visa on the new Passport?

Since you can still apply for a 30 day extesnion immigration will transfer your stamps and then do the extension.

If you were not eligible for the extension many immigration offices would turn you away and tell you do it when you leave the country.

It is a lengthy and involved process (at Hua Hin), took 3 hours, involving an incredible amount of photocopying, signing, verifying, computer work and report writing by the officer and a charge to me of 500b. plus all the photocopies.

Mine was to transfer a retirement visa to a new passport.

Edited by MUSTYJACK

It is a lengthy and involved process (at Hua Hin), took 3 hours, involving an incredible amount of photocopying, signing, verifying, computer work and report writing by the officer and a charge to me of 500b. plus all the photocopies.

Mine was to transfer a retirement visa to a new passport.

I transferred stamps to a new PP around 8 years ago at HH Immi and they charged me 500 then although the service should be free laugh.png

A visa cannot be transferred. Immigration will only transfer your entry/permit to stay stamp to your new passport.

After you get you new passport you wait until you need to leave the country and show both passports. They will transfer your entry stamp to the new passport and stamp you out of the country in it.

A damaged passport is not returned to the holder of the passport. Only an expired passport is returned.

He will need to get a letter from his embassy requesting that immigration transfer his current permission of stay into his new passport. The embassy will photocopy his entire passport and give him the photocopies along with the request to give to immigration.

At least that's what they done in my case at the Canadian embassy.

If may be different depending on the country of origin.

A damaged passport is not returned to the holder of the passport. Only an expired passport is returned.

He will need to get a letter from his embassy requesting that immigration transfer his current permission of stay into his new passport. The embassy will photocopy his entire passport and give him the photocopies along with the request to give to immigration.

There might be some embassies that would keep the damaged passport but I have never heard of one that did.

What embassy do you know of that does.

There might be some embassies that would keep the damaged passport but I have never heard of one that did.

What embassy do you know of that does.

The Canadian embassy.

That's what they did with my damaged passport 2 months ago