Keto Lifestyle in Thailand: What do YOU eat?

EmptyHead

Hello Keto Diet Members,

I would like to know what exactly you eat here.

I am new to it and I am just eating what I normally would minus the carbs (rice, bread, noodles). And I don't scrimp with fat. Though I don't calculate exactly my exact intake levels.

So what does typical meal look like for you here?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually don't have breakfast, but have a brunch sometime between 10:00-12:00. Really depends, if I cook it and take to work it will be some meat (ground beef usually) stir fried in coconut oil with some cauliflower, broccoli, a little bit of squash, something like that. Or a salad with some protein on top. Keeping it simple. When I get home, a couple hours before I work out, I'll take a 'bag' of CP chicken broth, get it to a boil, and add a pat of butter to it, and an egg or two. Sounds kind of weird I suppose but hits the spot, is only a few hundred calories, and doesn't weigh me down for my workout a couple hours later.

Dinner is funny for me. I might cook or not. You can get the shiratake noodles at foodland or maxvalu and I was way into them but am kinda burned out on them now. I often will make a nice big green salad with some tomatoes, and have a steak or burger patty. I usually just make my own oil and vinegar dressing. I might have some pork rinds or some walnuts for a snack. I usually have a couple vodka sodas or some red wine.

If I eat out I get some chicken from the som tum stand, if it looks good. I know all the best places around my house and work :) I will order 'gao lao', noodleless soup, minus bean sprouts but with extra green leaf. I will go to curry places and get a couple fried or hard boiled eggs and some meat, and veggie if they have something good. I like the pumpkin if they have it. Takes a few times to get them trained on no rice, they get really really confused by that, even with my very clear Thai, but when they get used to you it's no big deal.

That's about it. I will order somtum once in a while for home, but get it with no sugar at all, and add a pack of equal to the bag and shake it up before eating, tastes fine. But still kinda high carbs because of the green papaya. Meat sticks are ok but some are marinated in thick syrupy sauce. I will try one first and if it is too sweet won't get more. Lately I have cut out all dairy except for butter. I like cheese too much. I go through zucchini quite a bit at home too. My diet is pretty simple though. Funny, I have a lot of vegetarian friends and I probably eat twice as much veggies as they do. they eat so much bread rice and soy stuff it is sick.

I suggest you check out http://perfecthealthdiet.com/ The author is a scientist and excellent researcher. His diet is inherently fairly keto: Mostly veggies, healthy fat, some meat, fish, egg, etc. But the difference is that he gives very good evidence that some amount of "safe" carbs are ok, and in fact very beneficial long term. He always backs up his advice with good reasons and evidence.

Coconut oil banana (1/2 banana) shake in the morning with a spoon full of coco powder 100% coco, and a coffee. Meat or eggs with lots of steamed greens for lunch swimming in butter and maybe a salsa. Whatever the wife cooks for dinner but instead of rice I mash up some steamed cauliflower. I snack on full fat yogurt, eggs a few brazil nuts a day, coconut meat, cheese and sometimes a carrot salad. You need lots of electrolites and fat. The wife cooks with olive oil.

I usually eat either a good sized ground pork burger w/cheese for breakfast [this can keep me full near all day]... heavy cream in my coffee... and then maybe a salad for late lunch...

I also make a stir fry, predominantly shredded cabbage, then add other veggies and cheese... sometimes I will put in chicken filet chunks and add seasoning to get a facsimile of whatever I crave.. a rare day I might add some tomato spaghetti sauce and parmesan or at other times a drizzle of oyster sauce - - the sauce is not great but helps me get some variety...

But these are my staples though I start heading toward mostly veggies eventually... this does seem to be the most effective way to lose weight for me.

Lots of salads with grated cheese and chicken breasts. (I bring my own salad dressing and grated Parmesan from the US)

Chicken, Pork, Sausage

Broccoli, Cauliflower, snow peas, green beans. (With lots of butter)

For snacking: either a chunk of cheese or some blue diamond smokehouse almonds (also brought from the US, perhaps some beef jerky on occasion (if I can find the kind without much added sugar...usually the peppered flavor)

Salads--lettuce, onions, tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, eggs, cabbage; Thai foods: som tam, yum pla foo, yum nua, yum het. Meats--chicken, fish, shell fish, pork, beef, lamb, eggs, all great added to salad; Thai foods: larb, name, kratium prik Thai (mu, nua, gai, etc.), mu tad, pla tad, hoi ying. Veggies--caulifower (excellent boiled and mashed with butter, almost like mashed potatoes), broccoli, cabbage, green beans, kale, spinach, carrots; Thai foods: pak bung quai dang, pad pak, pad het--almost any Thai dish minus the rice, noodles and sugar. Great soups, salads, and stir-frys using any and all of these--omelets with veggies, cheese and meat, especially bacon is great for breakfast. Sparingly use low sugar fruits such as mango,papaya, watermelon

Low carb is pretty easy even in Thailand if you eat at home.

Not so easy if you eat outside.

In fact I would say avoiding the oil and sugar in Thai street food is just as important as limiting carbs.

I recommend trying to buy organic produce where possible and getting grass fed beef and organic eggs.

I can get all those things in Pattaya and manage a pretty healthy diet.

Meat and salad and meat and veggies are the mainstay of my diet.

And I have one good serving of a high quality yogurt with cold pressed flaxssed oil , fruit and almonds daily.

Probably eat out twice a week and it is usually Fuji,Hippo or something similar.

I don't any stir frieds whatsoever.

I suggest you check out http://perfecthealthdiet.com/ The author is a scientist and excellent researcher. His diet is inherently fairly keto: Mostly veggies, healthy fat, some meat, fish, egg, etc. But the difference is that he gives very good evidence that some amount of "safe" carbs are ok, and in fact very beneficial long term. He always backs up his advice with good reasons and evidence.

I like to have some pumpkin or sweet potato once in a while. Other people have some oats sometimes.

Coconut oil banana (1/2 banana) shake in the morning with a spoon full of coco powder 100% coco, and a coffee. Meat or eggs with lots of steamed greens for lunch swimming in butter and maybe a salsa. Whatever the wife cooks for dinner but instead of rice I mash up some steamed cauliflower. I snack on full fat yogurt, eggs a few brazil nuts a day, coconut meat, cheese and sometimes a carrot salad. You need lots of electrolites and fat. The wife cooks with olive oil.

I like to steam cauliflower, and then add a little cream, a little butter, and then whip it with my blender wand. Better than mashed potatoes!

• 6 months later...

Has anyone found any V low carb sausages here?

most of the ones I've found in Tops / Max Value has bloody sugar in them.

I recommend Bamboo Lebanese restaurant on Suk Soi 3 for all low carbers.

they have a top selection of grilled meats and salads.

Its open 24 hours and I often have a breakfast of the mixed grill and Arabic salad. 10g Carbs Max

This might be a bit too much but I have seen pig's intestines in the frozen section in Makro and with those you could make your own all meat sausages without a problem. The frozen package is specifically for sausages.

The Thai video here is not about low carb sausages but the women's equipment and technique show the process. I like the funnel idea! Easy!  It's a nice video for TV people too. A little messy but you get what you want.

Besides the local farmer's markets, Makro is the best place for regular meats at cheaper prices in my opinion. You can find cheaper cheeses and dairy if you eat that. It also has a lot of precut meats like steaks and some odd things now and again. If you are out of the early months of lc/paleo/keto and more open to carbs, you can get flak/chia seeds for omega 3s at Villa's supermarket. The Robinson near me dropped them for some reason. I usually buy eggs when I am on the outskirts of BKK. The roadside sellers sell a tray of size 1 ( the big size)  for 110 baht.  I'm just starting this again but over the years I have gone on and off this way of eating. For me, only strict carb control seems to work. When I start adding saurkraut and dairy I usually eventually break on this. I definitely lost on this compared to other ways of eating. That's why I am at it again.

I just figured out black soybeans have 16 carbs per cup, 14 of which are fiber and 2 sugar.  So very low carb.  I've been experimenting with them and I don't leave ketosis (still have the keto buzz, you know what I'm talking about).  You can get them in the dry bean section, where the Thai beans and seeds are...I get mine from foodland.  Careful not to get other kinds of beans or non black soybeans, those have a  lot of carbs (non fiber carbs).

They cook quickly, just boil them for about 30 minutes and they are done.  Drain the water keep in the fridge for a couple days while you use them.  I made some chile con carne (just a couple servings worth) and added a half cup of the beans to it....fabulous.  Also I made some refried beans and they are pretty darn good.  They can stay a little crunchy, but if after you boil them you let them set overnight int he fridge they soften up more.  One person says to freeze them and when they thaw they will be creamy like regular beans.

Some people warn about soy, I won't be having these every day, but treat them like a cheat meal type thing, though I'm not cheating at all, it just feels like I am.  Villa has those low carb tortillas that have 4 net carbs each I think - they are big and are a little fibery in a slightly strange way but not bad.  I usually don't eat them, but freeze them and thaw one out when I want it. 

Try 'em out!  I bought two bags for about 75 Baht, That'll be enough for me for a long time.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the most challenging issues is bread/ bread alternative ( yet to find anything approaching low carb bread, most of it, even the more exotic European styles are so full of sugar that the taste alone is abominable to anyone on no sugar).

So I make my own, 'bread' and muffins, usually following ketoking and others on YouTube ( simple ingredients, all readily available, many microwaveable). 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2017 at 11:25 AM, Prbkk said:

One of the most challenging issues is bread/ bread alternative ( yet to find anything approaching low carb bread, most of it, even the more exotic European styles are so full of sugar that the taste alone is abominable to anyone on no sugar).

So I make my own, 'bread' and muffins, usually following ketoking and others on YouTube ( simple ingredients, all readily available, many microwaveable). 

So you can make special bread for keto diet ?

1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

So you can make special bread for keto diet ?

This one is quite tasty and easy to make. There are dozens, hundreds maybe, others on YouTube.

I would buy it if I could, but finding low carb bread is a challenge ( although Villa Market now stocks "high protein bread" in a couple of brands, expensive at 260 baht for a tiny packet.

• 4 months later...
On 9/17/2016 at 1:28 AM, Jajazazajaja said:

Its open 24 hours and I often have a breakfast of the mixed grill and Arabic salad. 10g Carbs Max

Still open ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 1:28 AM, Jajazazajaja said:

Paleo Robbie has no carb, free range sausages.

On 12/14/2017 at 2:57 PM, questionsreplies said:

Hello, keto diet seems the best choice for someone who cannot limit his carbs intake. How long have you done it ? Any tips to help beginners ? Thanks.

It's not a good choice for someone who cannot limit his carbs, because you have to limit your carbs! Drastically. A web search will tell you all about it and there are apps you can download which show the carb/protein/content of various foods.

First step is to go through your food at home and get rid of everything you are no longer going to eat (for us, that was a  lot). Then commit to the diet and track your consumption daily to make sure you are sticking to the limits. For the first two weeks (or so) you will feel terrible as you body adjusts to burning fat rather than carbs; but then one day you will wake up feeling great and have more energy than ever before!

Archived