Thaksin tells Al Jazeera 'we saw it coming'

webfact

Thaksin Tells Al Jazeera We Saw the 2014 Coup Coming

DUBAI – Former Prime Minister and Billionare, Thaksin Shinawatra claimed he had seen the coup against his sister’s government coming as soon as demonstrators hit the streets in 2014.

In the second interview with Al Jazeera this month, Thaksin talked to Wayne Hay on Monday about the challenges facing the country and what lies ahead, the Bangkok Post reports.

Thaksin said during the People’s Democratic Reform Committee demonstrations, soldiers had mingled with protesters.

“And in April, they started to put bunkers on the streets… Then I knew,” he said, ruling out the barriers were there to protect the demonstrators.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thaksin-tells-al-jazeera-we-saw-the-2014-coup-coming.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-03-01

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's back!

Well,sort of.

He never left, the only way to kill a snake is to cut its head off.

What democratic government in the world, where the PM is able to put his family and friends who have little or no political experience in key positions of government, even to be elected as PM?

What democratic government in the world, allows vote buying, via cash or intimidation.

Most would have to be elected in by elections and state elections first, would it be believable that all of TS friends and family were elected for these positions?

What democratic government in the world, would tell the people that they are going to take from the rich and give to the poor, then move the money that was promised to the poor to shelf companies and off shore accounts

What democratic government in the world, would have a militant group of thugs and violent offenders that will go out and disrupt the opposing governments, murder supporters the opposing governments including destruction of private property and burning down shopping centers.

Why didn't the al Jazeera interviewer ask him that?

He's back!

Well,sort of.

What democratic government in the world, where the PM is able to put his family and friends who have little or no political experience in key positions of government, even to be elected as PM?

What democratic government in the world, allows vote buying, via cash or intimidation.

Most would have to be elected in by elections and state elections first, would it be believable that all of TS friends and family were elected for these positions?

What democratic government in the world, would tell the people that they are going to take from the rich and give to the poor, then move the money that was promised to the poor to shelf companies and off shore accounts

What democratic government in the world, would have a militant group of thugs and violent offenders that will go out and disrupt the opposing governments, murder supporters the opposing governments including destruction of private property and burning down shopping centers.

The interview was most likely pre arranged in terms of what questions could be asked.

Simply put, in Thaksin and his sister times they were good for the economy as monies flowed like water everywhere

but it was bad for the country,

with the Payout government, it's bad for the economy but good for the country, ( in the long run )

now all that Thailand have to do is find a way to merge the two with out to spill more blood in the streets....

Simply put, in Thaksin and his sister times they were good for the economy as monies flowed like water everywhere

with the Payout government, it's bad for the economy but good for the country, ( in the long run )

now all that Thailand have to do is find a way to merge the two with out to spill more blood in the streets....

Is that merge so it is bad for the economy and county?

Seriously Thailand is a basket case that will not change until they can deal to the patronage system that they all partake in or accept, which is the main driver of the corruption levels in the country.

Old seeing hindsight, such a forward thinking man , yes i saw the loop holes in the rice system but The Dam Skype dropped out when i was just about to tell them how to fix it, when i saw the barriers i knew a coup was happening , Now i fear for my life, i can not return,

Sympathy give me sympathy !

I am but a parasite , who flourished and engaged my friends and family to engorge themselves on the people of Thailand,

If so ever a chance to do so again , by hook or crook i will endeavour to attach myself to that succulent life source once again.

He's back!

Well,sort of.

No doubt you are talking about the current government???

He's back!

Well,sort of.

I truly find it laughable but sad really that there are some people that STILL come out with statements like this in an effort to paint one man as the Boogieman, yet

if the very same questions or statements were applied to Mark or this current PM then well then silence or denial.

Question, Was Mark elected by the people? NO, did mark put his mates in positions of power in government YES, Did Mark give the green light to use violence and then live rounds on protesters? YES, Did Mark suppress people and information (censorship) YES.

Now how about this current PM?, Hmmm YES on all accounts as well,

So your point is? Are you trying to paint one as evil and the others as innocent?

In the interview Thaksin said he saw the coup coming, Well so did the rest of the world.

I find it laughable and sad that you have to resort to "But, but, Mark". Never mind, everyone expected it.

He should have not asked amnesty almost everyone agrees that was the catalyst for the street protests. I am not saying the coup would not have happened, it might (no way to know for sure) as there as an other reason for the coup too. But I do know that support for the coup would be real low if not for the street protests and his amnesty. So he gave them the chance because he did not want to face the courts for all the other cases still pending against him far more serious as what he is convicted for. But hey.. just blame the military its easier.

Why why comment on the politics of Thailand when one does not have a clue what is going on??cheesy.gif Suthep has already on several occasions admitted he and the military did the coup together.....how more blunt can one be?

Edited by AlQaholic

He's back!

Well,sort of.

I truly find it laughable but sad really that there are some people that STILL come out with statements like this in an effort to paint one man as the Boogieman, yet

if the very same questions or statements were applied to Mark or this current PM then well then silence or denial.

Question, Was Mark elected by the people? NO, did mark put his mates in positions of power in government YES, Did Mark give the green light to use violence and then live rounds on protesters? YES, Did Mark suppress people and information (censorship) YES.

So your point is? Are you trying to paint one as evil and the others as innocent?

In the interview Thaksin said he saw the coup coming, Well so did the rest of the world.

Laughable.. Thaksin with his war on drugs and extrajudicial killings was responsible for far more deaths as Mark (if you can even hold him responsible). I bet you love to forget that .. the numbers were around 3000 innocent deaths.

He's back!

Well,sort of.

he still is the boogieman and has many boogiedependants that want to maintain the money flow, it's a pity his interview wasn't on the BBC with Stephen Sackur

They're all corrupt, dishonest, self-indulgent soi dogs but then aren't all politicians?

Personally speaking, I felt life was far better under Thaksin than it is now but I was new to the country then.

Until the natives accept that corruption is part of their culture and an essential part of the vehicle here they will forever be taking to the streets. Most get offended when accused of corrupt activities but the reality is that nearly every aspect of life from passing a test at school to mainline politics involves bending rules. The Thai public have to learn that they will probably never rid the country of it so look for the least corrupt party or the one whose party offers the best use of corruption to them.

Why why comment on the politics of Thailand when one does not have a clue what is going on??cheesy.gif Suthep has already on several occasions admitted he and the military did the coup together.....how more blunt can one be?

you commented, maybe in your world only you are allowed lol

Not trying to prevent anyone from commenting, I asked a simple question, why would any1 comment on something they know nothing about?

They're all corrupt, dishonest, self-indulgent soi dogs but then aren't all politicians?

Personally speaking, I felt life was far better under Thaksin than it is now but I was new to the country then.

Until the natives accept that corruption is part of their culture and an essential part of the vehicle here they will forever be taking to the streets. Most get offended when accused of corrupt activities but the reality is that nearly every aspect of life from passing a test at school to mainline politics involves bending rules. The Thai public have to learn that they will probably never rid the country of it so look for the least corrupt party or the one whose party offers the best use of corruption to them.

I can see a new party emerging TCP, they may as well be honest about it lol

So anyway, what you are saying is that stealing vast sums for the people is acceptable and they should just keep at it

I can feel a "hub" coming on

Not trying to prevent anyone from commenting, I asked a simple question, why would any1 comment on something they know nothing about?

and you do ? because in order to know that someone doesn't know "you" have to know

right ?

He's back!

Well,sort of.

- the US springs to mind with the Kennedy, Bush, Clinton dynasties.

- the US and UK are two obvious examples they call a lot of it lobbying

- cannot think of a single recent US president or UK prime minister that has not been a multi-millionaire after after a stint in a modestly paid job

He's back!

Well,sort of.

I find it laughable and sad that you have to resort to "But, but, Mark". Never mind, everyone expected it.

Err,, it's not a "but Mark" at all, It was an observation and pointing out the clear BIAS of the post I was responding to.

Even the most staunch supporters of Mark and the current PM that if the same statements were made regarding them that they would have no choice (if being honest) would have to agree that YES they are doing the same things they accuse Thaksin of, so trying to paint one as the Boogieman and not another is disingenuous to say the least...

Edited by aussieinthailand

He's back!

Well,sort of.

[/quote

What democratic government in the world?

Pretty much ALL of them. Just to single out Thaksin for the same crimes they all do, that's either naive or politically biased

He's back!

Well,sort of.

- the US springs to mind with the Kennedy, Bush, Clinton dynasties.

- the US and UK are two obvious examples they call a lot of it lobbying

- cannot think of a single recent US president or UK prime minister that has not been a multi-millionaire after after a stint in a modestly paid job

Cameron is rewarding his pals with a peerage (not that that has ever been done before whistling.gif ) for supporting his EU stance. I guess that is Thaksin's fault too.

Thanksin was in charge during one of the greatest economic expansions in history. Lately, it's been one of the worst economic times. Can't blame the pm for that. Though many things could be done by the pm to improve the economy.

He's back!

Well,sort of.

The interview was most likely pre arranged in terms of what questions could be asked.

Possibly, but so what? Approved questions are a certainty under the little general's rule.

He should have not asked amnesty almost everyone agrees that was the catalyst for the street protests. I am not saying the coup would not have happened, it might (no way to know for sure) as there as an other reason for the coup too. But I do know that support for the coup would be real low if not for the street protests and his amnesty. So he gave them the chance because he did not want to face the courts for all the other cases still pending against him far more serious as what he is convicted for. But hey.. just blame the military its easier.

you mean I misread the current "government" got amnesty too??? for all current deeds and future??? but you don't mention that but hey... just tell half the truth

I hate to even bring up the subject of Thaksin, and refrained from doing so on a recent thread about the candidacy of Donald Trump.

But now that the great man has graced us with his amazing insights again I would like to say that I see a lot of parallels between Thaksin and the current Republican frontrunner. They are both wealthy, obnoxious, narcissists who think they are god's gift to their respective countries. Let us hope the US escapes the fate Thailand suffered in 2001.

Whenever I see Donald Trump I can't help but thinking I've seen this movie before.

He's back!

Well,sort of.

There is a list of preappoved questions they get to ask, if they deviate from the script the interview is terminated and they end up with nothing

Standard operating procedure for the rich or powerful ...

He's back!

Well,sort of.

Laughable.. Thaksin with his war on drugs and extrajudicial killings was responsible for far more deaths as Mark (if you can even hold him responsible). I bet you love to forget that .. the numbers were around 3000 innocent deaths.

No'p I don't forget it and commented on that subject several times, the laughable thing is, after I put rebuttal to the accusation's of "extrajudicial killings" almost all who comes out with this same drivel go very very quiet because truth evidence and facts are a problem for them.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Question, Was Mark the PM at the time of the killing of protesters? YES, then he should be held responsible, unfortunately he and Suthep have been let off,

Now some could say that is a massive miscarriage of justice... Now if that court case went to the (ICJ), I wonder what the outcome would have been then???

Now back on topic,

Thaksin said he saw the coup coming, ok so did the rest of the world, but the current PM denied that there plans (B_____T) and it would not happen,whistling.gif

The fact remains that there is great interest in Thaksin and his opinions, so he is entitled to comment regardless if you like it or not...

Now to be fair and not a "BUT Mark" or the general,, why not hold all politicians and the current PM to the very same flame? plenty of posters here will not for what ever reason and that is what I was pointing out, BIAS.....

how was life better under Thaksin, he changed the bar closing time to 2am! Gave his government the power to revoke media liceneses in the 97 charter in order to control what critics have to say against him....and many more

I think we can safely define this as discerning the writing on the wall at the time, not remorse either then or now. 'nough said, particularly by him. I think he is must be getting desperate and hopes to capitalize on the current political climate to bring about his last chance of a return to LOS.

Lets hope he fails, if even for his own sake. There are a lot of folk who would personally try to wish or do him ill if they were given the chance.

Only in the North and North East is there any significant percentage of folk who see him as a Robin Hood. Most of the country just spell it a bit differently.

He is not likely to morph over into martyr status in most of the country anytime soon. The rice scheme and the amnesty bid are still quite freshly remembered by too many.