Avoiding Songkran outside Bangkok. Options?

likeke

I am one of those who really wants to avoid the water celebraton near the Nana area. It can get a bit much as it lasts nearly 4 days here. I typically fly to my home country for most of April but not this year. Can anyone recommend somewhere within thailand where Songkran is not as "intense" or only last a day? Hua Hin? Chiang Rai? If not, I will visit a bordering country like Cambodia, Vietnam or Singapore.

Most places you can get soaked even if not an official day.

Up here in the Isaan village I live it means me staying home for a week.

The safest way.

Go out to the shops or something to eat and there will always be some moron ready to chuck a bucket of water over you.

Edited by Eclipse

Find a hotel with a suitable restaurant inside, and a 7-11 nearby. You can normally venture out as far as the 7-11 at 6:00 or 7:00 a.,m to buy any provisions you need, and to refill your wallet at the ATM.

Some might disagree but I find Udon pretty sedate. Though having said that I don't live right in town. I know they have 1 hectic day but it definitely doesn't last a week. Heaps of traffic with everyone coming back home though

I'm in a large village about 25k from Sakon Nakhon. Last year not a sign of any water at all. I was expecting to see at least a few kids playing with a bucket & barrel of water but nothing at all.

Mind you there's not much to offer in the village except peace & quiet.

As I spend songkran working in Bangkok I can safely say over the last 9 years Bangkok is probably the easiest place to avoid getting wet at Songkran in Thailand (depending where you live)

Avoid On Nut road -water bath from Srinakarin to Sukhumvit

Avoid soi cowboy, Patpong, Nana and Soi 22 for sure.

Ratchada - minor amounts

Depends how you travel around - but I don't think I've been hit with Songkran water in the last 4 years except by choice

Just get enough food and drink for five days and read those five books you have been meaning to read, or catch up on watching those DVD's you bought and have not watched yet. At the end of the five days you will feel calm, rested and ready to take on "normal" Thailand again.

koh phangan celebrates songkran for a day only if you are not in haadrin.

Same goes for Koh Samui, except perhaps Chawang.... usually only half a day in most areas.... in the afternoon (Saturday if I remember) .... really easy to avoid..... on most of the island!

koh phangan celebrates songkran for a day only if you are not in haadrin.

Same goes for Koh Samui, except perhaps Chawang.... usually only half a day in most areas.... in the afternoon (Saturday if I remember) .... really easy to avoid..... on most of the island!

I have been here on Koh Samui for 15 years and it is a one day event which is great. Done Bangkok and the villages and more than happy to stay down here and stay at home for that one day then continue with life as usual after that. Agree with Samuijimmy - Chaweng can get a bit silly but the rest of the island is relatively tame.

Definitely not Chiang Rai, the worst (or best, depending on your point of view) place I have experienced Songkran. Lots of ice in the water, making it unpleasant rather than refreshing.

Not within Thailand.

Every city,town and small village celebrate Songkran.

It's like trying to get away from the 4th of July in the U.S.A.

Maybe in a remote wilderness with no Thai people or tourist around?

Good luck!

Edited by willyumiii

Buy that book you always wanted to read, try cooking every day, catch up on all the latest Donald Trump news, clean the place you live in, get enough beer or whatever you like, buy a barbecue and lay back, enjoy and watch the world go past.

That's what I'm doing.

Go to Cambodia , water splashing is banned , but should you feel the need to get wet go to heart of darkness, they fill the club up with water smile.png

If you can find your way thru all the 'smoke'

hua hin -- one day of splashing

koh samui -- one day of splashing

you don't want to arrive at that "one day" however as traffic is horrific

I do think these communities want to get you back out shopping and eating and spending ASAP...it is intelligent

Forget Pattaya. The drunk moron Farangs are at it for close to two weeks and even after Songkran there are some that still try to get away with soaking you. Some of the bars on Beach road are the worst and it goes 24/7 in some areas.

Come to Muang Thong Thani. plenty places to stay, nice neighbourhood with plenty of restaurants. And most important... no farangs here, and no Songkrang celebrations. because most of the people went to their home town.

Edited by henry15

In southern Thailand it last only 1 day.The same is true, so I was told by locals,in Chantaburi.

Most of Cambodia is safe, but not near the Thai border, they celebrate all the way to Battambang.

Chantaburi might be your best bet, not so far from Bangkok, a quiet and pleasant town.

Hua Hin is the place to go, it only lasts for one day and then it's completely finished until the next year.

After the designated day the madness continues throughout Thailand but you would never know it in Hua Hin.

As I spend songkran working in Bangkok I can safely say over the last 9 years Bangkok is probably the easiest place to avoid getting wet at Songkran in Thailand (depending where you live)

Avoid On Nut road -water bath from Srinakarin to Sukhumvit

Avoid soi cowboy, Patpong, Nana and Soi 22 for sure.

Ratchada - minor amounts

Depends how you travel around - but I don't think I've been hit with Songkran water in the last 4 years except by choice

And the complete lack of traffic, except in locations you mentioned is wonderful.

Cannot believe the OP is going to leave Bangkok because of 200 meters on Soi 4. 50 meters from Soi 4 on sukhumvit is no problem. With the shortcut from the Landmark to the back door of Dynasty you can watch the action on Soi 4 without getting wet at all.

TH