Totally confused on Retirement visa!

Have decided Chiang Mai is where I want to be and have been looking at retirement visa. Apologies if my questions have been answered elsewhere. Do I apply for retirement visa in the UK or wait to get to Thailand? Either way I don't understand how I can apply without a Thai bank account opened. I am 59 and have no issue with 800,000baht deposit and I intend to buy a condo. Visa process however seems a nightmare and even the Thai embassy web page in London makes little sense. I read that I need to get a long term visa first and then convert it to a retirement visa after arrival. Looking at long term visas it seems like I don't qualify for any as I don't want to work, study or volunteer. Then I read totally different information concerning health check and police certificates being required and not being required. I have no idea where to even begin now!!! Should I try here or wait to get to Chiang Mai? And if I wait to Chiang Mai what visa Do I enter on?? What documents are definitely needed and do they have to be notarized? Can they be notarized in Thailand at the UK embassy? Just spent two days online looking for definitive information without success! Hope somebody can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working

The above is the wording when you log onto the Thai embassy web page and look for the A-O visa the OP is looking for.

Not surprising people call it a visa when it clearly states on the embassy website that it is called a visa.

Anyhow the OP mentions on that form you need to give details of your work place. And as he said, he isn't working. I guess he would be far more pleased if someone was to reply to his query rather than let us know for the 3456543 time this year it isn't a visa.

I am in the same situation myself and was going to ask on here but couldn't be bothered with the 'is it, isn't it a visa' argument again

Of course an O-A visa is a visa.

Retirement EXTENSIONS obtained in Thailand are EXTENSIONS, not visas.

The OP didn't really know what he is looking for.

He wants to legalize retiring in Thailand.

Starting with an O-A is one way to start with that.

It is not a REQUIRED way to start with that.

Though an O visa of some kind is required to start.

Yes, it's confusing at first, but communicating with standard terminology is helpful here for clear communications.

Visas are only issued outside Thailand. Extensions of stay are only issued inside Thailand. In most people's minds the outcome is the same - they are allowed to stay in Thailand. Hence the confusion.

Visas are issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Extension of stay are issued by the Immigration Bureau. Both have similar but different rules. In most people's minds this is just seen as random bureaucracy. Hence the confusion.

Nope. Many people get a 90 day O visa in Thailand called a conversion (from tourist visa or 30 day stamp) as the first step before the first retirement extension also in Thailand.

That way no O-A ever needed nor is any O visa obtained outside Thailand. Very popular way to start.

Why not try and provide clarity rather than add to the confusion? If members focused on this rather than scoring points off each other this forum world be more useful.

It is fact that visas are only ISSUED outside Thailand.

You are saying that A CONVERSION of visa can be obtained inside Thailand. I am assuming this service is provided by the Bureau of Immigration?

Edited by mngmn
  • Like 1

One small thing the op may not be aware of. If the non o based on retirement is obtained in los by transferring from say a setv, you need to show (prove) the money in Thai bank came from outside of Thailand. If the non o is obtained at somewhere like Vientiane then that requirement is not necessary.

Not sure if I missed the suggestions?

I think somewhere you stated you were only 59?, you not plan to work etc.. in Thailand therefore I assume you are retired and getting a pension?

If your pension receive is over 800,000 baht per year, you do not need a bank account. You can provide a notorized document from the U.K. Embassy (at cost) each year when you apply. You can also do a combination to meet the requirement, for example, 400,000 in Bank and 400,000 in income.

I do not know about C.M. but here in Pattaya when I first applied 10 years ago at the Immigration and last year help a friend through the process, if you apply in Pattaya, you do not need a physical nor a police report. It is much easier doing it here than home, but you will need the extended tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy before applying.

You might also think about attending a Expat Club meeting, I believe there are a number of one's in C.M.

Good luck.

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1

There is no "retirement" visa --------------however--------

<snip>

Had a huge argument with a friend about this one. It's even stamped in his passport "Retirement Visa". LOL

I tried to explain the O-A visa, but it didn't work...

• Like 1

Basically:

(1) Get a Non-Immigrant O-A visa from the embassy. This is valid either for 3 months or for 1 year (usually the former).

(2) Once in Thailand, open the bank account and make the requisite deposit in the given timeframe, and apply for a visa extension based on retirement at the Immgiration office close to where you live. This will be valid for a year, but if you need to travel outside of Thailand and go back, you need to obtain a re-entry permit (some people like to do this at the same time as the extension). You can get the new retirement extensions every year, as long as you qualify.

O/A visas are always valid for one year and visas are never extended.

Please refrain from posting misleading nonsense.

If you do not know then do not post.

I will be a little more generous and say he meant to write 'Non-Imm O Visa'.

That would seem to be very apparent by what is stated in (2).

Other than that error the post is helpful to the OP.

Not so sunny today Jim?

Edited by jacko45k

Non Imm O-A Visa or Non Imm O Visa?

Whatever suits you.

Non Imm O-A Visa requires money in UK bank plus police report and medical report.

Arrive with a Non Imm O Visa and extend by 12 months at Immigration in Thailand for a fee of 1,900 Baht.

No police or medical needed.

I know what I think is the easiest.wink.png

• Like 1

For some people the O-A Visa is worth the hassle, but you don't actually need it at all.

You could arrive on a normal single entry O visa (much easier to obtain, no police clearance required) and then extend your stay for the purpose of retirement every year starting 2 months after you arrive.

You could even arrive with a tourist visa and effectively do the same thing, it costs about 5000 more though as you need a change of Visa class for the first retirement extension.

Also, you don't need any money in a Thai bank at all if you have sufficient income.

Edited by technologybytes

Not sure if I missed the suggestions?

I think somewhere you stated you were only 59?, you not plan to work etc.. in Thailand therefore I assume you are retired and getting a pension?

If your pension receive is over 800,000 baht per year, you do not need a bank account. You can provide a notorized document from the U.K. Embassy (at cost) each year when you apply. You can also do a combination to meet the requirement, for example, 400,000 in Bank and 400,000 in income.

I do not know about C.M. but here in Pattaya when I first applied 10 years ago at the Immigration and last year help a friend through the process, if you apply in Pattaya, you do not need a physical nor a police report. It is much easier doing it here than home, but you will need the extended tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy before applying.

You might also think about attending a Expat Club meeting, I believe there are a number of one's in C.M.

Good luck.

Alternative to 800.000 bath: Generally, the requirements for "retirement" from the Thai authorities:

Have income of at least 65,000 baht / month.

Monthly income must be confirmed by the British embassy or consulate to whom you are filing your documents.

• Haha 1

Nope. Many people get a 90 day O visa in Thailand called a conversion (from tourist visa or 30 day stamp) as the first step before the first retirement extension also in Thailand.

That way no O-A ever needed nor is any O visa obtained outside Thailand. Very popular way to start.

Why not try and provide clarity rather than add to the confusion? If members focused on this rather than scoring points off each other this forum world be more useful.

It is fact that visas are only ISSUED outside Thailand.

You are saying that A CONVERSION of visa can be obtained inside Thailand. I am assuming this service is provided by the Bureau of Immigration?

The conversion simply changes your entry stamp or permission to stay to a non-imm O entry or permission so that you can later apply for the extension. It is not a usable visa that you can present to an immigrations officer at a border.

The so called 90 day visa you get upon conversion allows you 90 days in country, not 90 days to exit and enter the country.

The Thai Elite visa, as far as I know, is issued in Thailand and is usable for border crossings, but that's a whole different matter.

I was in a similar state of befuddlement and actually in Phuket on an extended holiday when I decided I wanted to stay. I made loads of enquiries and read loads of stuff on this forum and ended up phoning the Thai Embassy in London so that I could speak to a fluent English speaking Thai about how to get a retirement visa. They made it sound so much simpler so I combined the trip with other tasks and flew back.

If you go into the Thai Embassy and ask about the retirement visa, they will give you a sheaf of paper which tells you exactly how to get the police report (about £85), provides a form for you to take to your doctor to get signed (cost me £20), tells you how much income you need to prove and how to do it (I just got a letter from my stockbroker saying that they managed my funds and provided me with an income that fitted with their monthly requirements. I also took a bank statement, showing my monthly incomings and highlighted them). They also provide you with the application forms you need to complete (I think there were two of them and one had to be in triplicate). You also need some photos of course and a cheque for £125.

The doctors certificate, police certificate and financial proofs had to be taken to a solicitor to be notarised (try to find a notary out of central London because prices vary massively - I paid £40)

When you've got all this together, plus valid passport of course, you take it back to the embassy, they look it over to make sure you haven't forgotten anything and then tell you to return the next day at 11am to collect your passport. It was all so easy and efficient!

Good luck with your application.

There is no "retirement" visa --------------however--------

Being 59 you can apply for an O/A (long stay) visa from the London Thai Embassy.

You will need evidence of finance (money in a UK bank equal to 800,000 Bht) , a police clearance cert. and a focused medical report.

The visa a a one year multiple entry visa which provides an initial one year stay.

If Thailand is exited/re-entered immediately prior to the visas expiry date a second one year permission to stay will be provided.

If travel is undertaken during the second year of stay a re-entry permit must be obtained.

During the final 30 days of the second year of stay a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based on retirement can be applied for. However, prior to applying for the extension you must ensure 800,000 Bht has been in a Thai bank for at least two months (60 days) .

Extensions of stay are renewable each year if requirements (principally financial) are met.

Very useful and informative. Thanks!