Pheu Thai and Ms Yingluck demand Wattana's immediate release

webfact

Pheu Thai and Ms Yingluck demand Wattana's immediate release

0302009-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her Pheu Thai party have demanded the immediate release of former commerce minister Wattana Muangsuk from military custody.

Mr Wattana was whisked by military personnel from his house at Sinklao housing estate on Srinakarind road at about 10 am on Wednesday to the 1st Infantry Regiment King’s Own Bodyguard for “attitude adjustment”.

In a message posted in her Facebook page, Ms Yingluck said she was shocked after having learned that military personnel went to Mr Wattana’s house and invited him out. She defended Mr Wattana’s comment in his Facebook page criticizing the military junta for using army men to shadow her.

The former prime minister called on the NCPO to free Mr Wattana claiming that the heavy-handed treatment would only worsen the conflict and tarnish the image of the country.

Meanwhile, the Pheu Thai party issued a statement criticizing the military’s overacting in the use of a large military force to lay siege to Mr Wattana’s house and whisk him away to an undisclosed destination.

The party said that the detention of the former commerce minister was illegal and constituted a gross violation of human rights. The party charged that the military personnel did not have a search warrant when they went into Mr Wattana’s house.

The party demanded immediate release of Mr Wattana and pleaded with the military junta to guarantee the public’s right to free expressions.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/153286

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-03

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I do not agree with the militaries actions in this. I do not believe Pheu Thai or YL have any authority to demand anything. Parties are supposed to have disbanded and YL is facing criminal charges. Her own brother did much worse than the army is doing now when he was the leader. YL and her party need to be put in their place as average citizens and get off their high horse.

Although I do not agree with the militaries actions in this. I do not believe Pheu Thai or YL have any authority to demand anything. Parties are supposed to have disbanded and YL is facing criminal charges. Her own brother did much worse than the army is doing now when he was the leader. YL and her party need to be put in their place as average citizens and get off their high horse.

When were parties "disbanded" as you state?

I don't think this happened. Instead, they have simply been warned not to organize political gatherings with 5 or more people. That still leaves room for small meetings and communications via electronic means.

"the Pheu Thai party issued a statement criticizing the military’s overacting in the use of a large military force to lay siege to Mr Wattana’s house and whisk him away to an undisclosed destination"

this is the Phew Thai's explanation of how the Junta provoked Mr Wattana on face book giving them no choice to arrest him, now Phew Thai and Yingy have lost face due to his arrest and crying like stuck pigs,Mr Wattana was just sitting there minding his own business that it was all the Juntas fault and over reaction with a large military force. booo hooo hooo!!sad.png

This from childish/immature people who have been controlling and manipulation political events since TS became a fugitive.

I say round up all of the Phew Thai and put them in a dungeon and throw away the key, then maybe some things may change in Thailand, not all but some.

"the Pheu Thai party issued a statement criticizing the militarys overacting in the use of a large military force to lay siege to Mr Wattanas house and whisk him away to an undisclosed destination"

this is the Phew Thai's explanation of how the Junta provoked Mr Wattana on face book giving them no choice to arrest him, now Phew Thai and Yingy have lost face due to his arrest and crying like stuck pigs,Mr Wattana was just sitting there minding his own business that it was all the Juntas fault and over reaction with a large military force. booo hooo hooo!!sad.png

This from childish/immature people who have been controlling and manipulation political events since TS became a fugitive.

I say round up all of the Phew Thai and put them in a dungeon and throw away the key, then maybe some things may change in Thailand, not all but some.

Always someone who will try to justify the unjustifiable.

"the Pheu Thai party issued a statement criticizing the military’s overacting in the use of a large military force to lay siege to Mr Wattana’s house and whisk him away to an undisclosed destination"

You may get your wish. It seems they will round up all people who question the regime (on Facebook or elsewhere) and lock them away. When they have all been locked up and dissent eliminated you will finally achieve the country you desire, and perhaps deserve.

When were parties "disbanded" as you state?

I don't think this happened. Instead, they have simply been warned not to organize political gatherings with 5 or more people. That still leaves room for small meetings and communications via electronic means.

When the gov took over and tore up the Constitution all parties were supposed to be disbanded. When a new constitution is approved they will have to apply to become a party again. At least, that was my interpretation of it when it was announced at that time.

the detention of the former commerce minister was illegal

Incorrect.

According to the esteemed and independent Constitutional Court, anything the Junta does is legal based on the court's acceptance of the NCPO's Interim Charter as the law of the land in another recent ruling. Article 44 of the interim charter provides for warrantless arrest, secret detention and trial of civilians by a military court with legal representation provided only by the military. Furthermore, all NCPO actions are prescribed by the charter to be constitutional. The NCPO can in fact overrule Constitutional Court rulings.

Herein is the deeper issue.

The Thai people need to carefully consider the behavior of the Constitutional Court that disrespects a constitution approved by a majority of Thai voters in favor of one imposed unilaterally on Thais by a minority that abolished Thai rights and liberties. The Court since its creation by a previous junta has given the impression that it has political favoritism and agenda.

Just because someone believes they have a right to absolute power does not mean everyone must absolutely adhere to it. But resistance comes with responsibility. wai2.gif

I believe you are correct with what you are saying:

Incorrect.

According to the esteemed and independent Constitutional Court, anything the Junta does is legal based on the court's acceptance of the NCPO's Interim Charter as the law of the land in another recent ruling. Article 44 of the interim charter provides for warrantless arrest, secret detention and trial of civilians by a military court with legal representation provided only by the military. Furthermore, all NCPO actions are prescribed by the charter to be constitutional. The NCPO can in fact overrule Constitutional Court rulings.

The Thai people need to carefully consider the behavior of the Constitutional Court that disrespects a constitution approved by a majority of Thai voters in favor of one imposed unilaterally on Thais by a minority that abolished Thai rights and liberties. The Court since its creation by a previous junta has given the impression that it has political favoritism and agenda.

Just because someone believes they have a right to absolute power does not mean everyone must absolutely adhere to it. But resistance comes with responsibility. wai2.gif

but the only problem I see is this statement: "The Thai people need to carefully consider..."

PT has not been disbanded or deregulated....and YL has not been convicted of anything...yes..she does have a pending case, but no outcome to date.

Madam getting very vocal all of a sudden.

Where did that come from? One guess.

Given his recent interviews which no doubt are trying to gain some international mileage against Thailand, IMHO the interviews had little impact and on many points less then truthful, IMHO he's not helping at all but maybe it shines his personal ego in some way and helps him to believe his often stated comment 'I have done nothing wrong'.

Next question, will he just make things more complicated for madam?

Hmm, someone makes a comment on FB and is taken away for AA.

There's something to think on,

And I'm sure the EU and USA will do so...

You're right - but sadly the EU and US will probably be thinking on how they can emulate it.

PT has not been disbanded or deregulated....and YL has not been convicted of anything...yes..she does have a pending case, but no outcome to date.

Actually YL was found guilty of abusing power and removed from the office of PM by a court.

Did you forget that little fact?

Edited by Baerboxer

Incorrect.

Unfortunately the vast majority of Thais have never had anyone or any political party who really represented their interests, democracy, justice, a fair society and who themselves obeyed the law except when it suited. Just various clans, gangs and alliances of the "upper strata privileged few" who run things for their benefit and vie for position and power among themselves.

Or are you still trying to pretend otherwise?

Madam getting very vocal all of a sudden.

Where did that come from? One guess.

Given his recent interviews which no doubt are trying to gain some international mileage against Thailand, IMHO the interviews had little impact and on many points less then truthful, IMHO he's not helping at all but maybe it shines his personal ego in some way and helps him to believe his often stated comment 'I have done nothing wrong'.

Next question, will he just make things more complicated for madam?

Given his statements are being made in safety, from overseas, and his 'sister' is being closely watched not just by the military, who else is to speak out in opposition? The New Democracy Movement et al appear to have been 'disappeared' from mainstream media. So, again, who? Or do you believe just one faction declaring itself the only one with any right to talk 'down' to those it is supposed to represent, should keep it's opposition's mouths shut by fair means or foul? Do you know what this is called? Something we have been told we cannot actually call it here.

Nationalism appears as the uncritical, and hence manipulable, identification with power. Its ideal end is national unity or the subordination of contested social differences. Patriotism is commonly thought of as love of one’s country and loyal obedience to its government. Since they know that they are likely to remain in power indefinitely, loyalty presents no problem. Theirs is a patriotism of winners. The left has trouble with patriotism not because it is the party of humanity but because it is, nationally and internationally, the party of losers. I would propose democracy: it is far less exclusionary, in principle and practice, that nationalism, patriotism or the ideology of capitalism. Democracy can be patriotic, but only on condition that the first loyalty is to it.

- Sheldon S. Wolin

Actually YL was found guilty of abusing power and removed from the office of PM by a court.

The fact is the court and the ruling was a complete sham! The whole country and world know this fact too. When a PM cannot transfer a police officer she has no confidence in, then what is the point of having an elected government. If some don't like it then put her up for a vote, oh wait she tried to do that too. Silly little facts.

Well I do not think Ms Yingluck has neither the rank nor the cajones to be demanding anything at this time from anyone in authority in the present government.

Silence can be golden under certain conditions, this may one of those times

The fact is the court and the ruling was a complete sham! The whole country and world know this fact too. When a PM cannot transfer a police officer she has no confidence in, then what is the point of having an elected government. If some don't like it then put her up for a vote, oh wait she tried to do that too. Silly little facts.

You are crazy to think it was a sham. She did abuse power by failing to leave as temporary PM after she exceeded the time frame allowed. That is abuse no matter how you look at it

"Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her Pheu Thai party have demanded the immediate release of former commerce minister Wattana Muangsuk from military custody."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Think the overly used word former is the most important here....

She has no power what-so-ever to demand anything, especially from the junta that want to lock her up.....

I demand that Yingluck should depart the country and stay with her brother.......

Well I do not think Ms Yingluck has neither the rank nor the cajones to be demanding anything at this time from anyone in authority in the present government.

Silence can be golden under certain conditions, this may one of those times

Being the last elected Prime Minister in a country governed by a junta who seized power in a coup (because they couldn't risk her being elected a second time) does give her a certain status wouldn't you say?

Well no, you probably don't think so actually, you're a bit of a fan of junta government as I recall.

You are crazy to think it was a sham. She did abuse power by failing to leave as temporary PM after she exceeded the time frame allowed. That is abuse no matter how you look at it

Actually you are the crazy one and just posted a flat out lie! She never exceeded any time limit. The vote was stopped by Suthep's mob blocking the polling locations.