Cement Truck Brake Failure blamed for Central Pattaya road crash

webfact

Cement Truck Brake Failure blamed for Central Pattaya road crash

crash-3-1.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- On Wednesday afternoon four vehicles were involved in a road crash, thought to have been caused by a Cement Truck brake failure.

The crash occurred at the Pattaya Third Road and Central Pattaya Road intersection and resulted in damage sustained to the cement truck, a Mazda 2, a Toyota Altis and a Yamaha Spark Motorbike, whose driver was slightly injured.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221880/cement-truck-brake-failure-blamed-central-pattaya-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-03-03

Why is it that in other countries we nearly never hear about "break failure" - but in Thailand all the time?

Maybe it's because other countries teach their commercial fleet drivers to use the gears correctly when descending inclines?

I have seen older trucks having difficulties on steep down hills in the UK so it is not a problem unique to Thailand. Just appears to be far more common!

Why is it that in other countries we nearly never hear about "break failure" - but in Thailand all the time?

Maybe it's because other countries teach their commercial fleet drivers to use the gears correctly when descending inclines?

I have seen older trucks having difficulties on steep down hills in the UK so it is not a problem unique to Thailand. Just appears to be far more common!

No hills at Pattaya Klang & Third Road.

Most likely the company 'No hab budget' to maintain their trucks.

As far as I am aware, Pattaya Three Road does not have steep inclines. Instead, maybe other countries teach their drivers not to speed, or drivers in other countries have the common sense not to, and to drive carefully especially on busy roads. A bit much to ask for in Thailand, I know.

Any reports on a check of the brakes after the accident?

The driver could as well have been too busy with his "line" and reacted too late.

More likely he would say anything to escape blame/face.

Not much in the way of hills in Central Pattaya. I would put it down to a total and complete lack of maintainence.

Plus air brakes, so if pressure is low an alarm goes off.

Plus air brakes, so if pressure is low an alarm goes off.

Does no good to lock the brakes when the brake shoes and pads have been worn away to nothing.

=======================

Automobile drum brake

The brake shoe carries the brake lining, which is riveted or glued to the shoe. When the brake is applied, the shoe moves and presses the lining against the inside of the drum. The friction between lining and drum provides the braking effort. Energy is dissipated as heat.

Modern cars have disc brakes all round, or discs at the front and drums at the rear. An advantage of discs is that they can dissipate heat more quickly than drums so there is less risk of overheating.

The reason for retaining drums at the rear is that a drum is more effective than a disc as a parking brake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_shoe

Edited by jaywalker

I remember taking my Honda in for a service. After a while I was approached by one of the customer service staff who informed me the brake pads needed replacing and did I want to do it or not. I told him of course I want to do it no question. Maybe he wasn't sure what I said as he asked again which I confirmed that I wanted them replaced. Evidently a lot of people get the same question and tell them not to bother.

It just seems that proper maintenance is not something considered important here in Thailand

Edited by gandalf12

Wow...

I think I am getting numb from these daily blurbs of sensenseless and avoidable deaths.

At times I think it's a good thing to rid this country of these maggots.

However, then the reality of those innocents dying.

I see no future other than to protect my own...

God help me...my 2 1/2 year old daughter will be going to school soon.