Police can keep a motorbike or car if you do not have a license ?

I hope so. Why would you have a car or a bike if you have no licence ?

I would hope the car/bike will have been crushed well before you get the licence.

Please stop trolling.

There are a lot of reasons why someone would have a vehicle but not a license.

My boss doesn't drive. She doesn't have a driver's license but she does have a vehicle and a driver.

Oh, and yes, she was involved in a small collision while sitting in her vehicle and the driver was inside a market. The vehicle was parked, but the police were pretty sure she was driving. Fortunately, the vehicle was stopped and she didn't even have the keys. All sorted out when the driver returned.

Now, please stay on topic and respond to the OP.

Seize may not be the right word but they have no obligation to let someone continue driving if they are not legal to do so. The police in Pattaya have made people leave their bike to go get a helmet before being allowed to drive it away.

Same thing could happen if you didn't have a license. If you didn't bring a licensed driver to recover the car or bike they could have it picked up and taken to an impound lot.

DELETED

Because you want to get around? Why would you stay in Thailand if you dont accept the fact that the rules really dont matter? If this even is a rule...

Edited by Kaalle

^^ have you ever heard of that happening ever ,?

If you are referring to the post above you

Then yes it happens.

The cop will take your keys and park your bike up and give you a ticket.

You then have to go to soi 9 pay the fine return with your receipt before you get your keys back.

There is cop that when on duty at the junction of second road and pattaya klang

Has his ticket book hanging out of his back pocket.

I have seen him with 6 bikes parked up on the footpath waiting for their riders to come back.

Outside the police station on soi 9 beach road is also a hot spot for ticketing

There is times when they have to stop ticketing because the place is blocked up

With parked up bikes and people are queuing up to get in to pay fines.

one Post Discussing Moderation Removed

Forum Rule -

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Last year I was dropping a friend from my place to MRT rama 9. Since it was just a 10min ride go and back I did not take my wallet with my licence in it.

It was 6pm and I forgot that almost everyday there is a police check point there in front of fortune town.

Police asked me for my licence, I told them that it was in my room and I can go to take it back. Instead they locked my motorbike and asked me to go north of Mo chit station to pay a 1000 baht fine then come back to get my bike.

Took me an hour and half, 2 mrt tickets, and a 150 baht moto taxi ride to get my bike back.

So yes, they can get your bike. Also at the police station there were about 20 thais who told me were stopped in front of fortune town for various reason, licence, helmet, wrong line, etc.

1000 baht fine and your on your way. Most roadblocks you can pay directly but sometimes you will have to go police station to pay.

Ticket is valid for the whole day. So if you get stopped later that same day you can show you ticket and you are on your way again.

Same with helmets and road tax. (Except the road tax fine is valid for one month)

Edited by ikbenhet

My Thai Wife bought a new Car on my advise, although she does not have a license, there was no problem. The seller brought the car to our house and the next day was the police at the door and asked her where she got the money for it. that was all.....its Thailand and the envious neighborhood. Problems there would be at most when she drives without a license.

I have a car and 2 motorcycles and I have no license for any of them. I went to the license office in Sakon Nakhon to get a license and they told me I couldn't get one. Whenever I get stopped I show my old expired driver's license from my home country and they usually let me go...sometimes I get fined and let go but I've never had my car seized.

I hope this helps the OP and it also answers the question of why an ex-pat would drive in Thailand with no license.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

If the police catch you driving without a licence, they can certainly prevent you driving on which is effectively the same.

If you were not driving but a passenger it would depend what infractions the driver may or may not have made. Since you are the owner, you would know its insurance status, and hopefully that of the driver too. Beware of using say a taxi driver (car or bike) to get you home as he (or she) may have been drinking.

I expect your question would only be an issue on public roads.

Edited by jacko45k

Never seen a road block in front of fortune, do they block the 6 or 8 lanes ?

Last year I was dropping a friend from my place to MRT rama 9. Since it was just a 10min ride go and back I did not take my wallet with my licence in it.

It was 6pm and I forgot that almost everyday there is a police check point there in front of fortune town.

Police asked me for my licence, I told them that it was in my room and I can go to take it back. Instead they locked my motorbike and asked me to go north of Mo chit station to pay a 1000 baht fine then come back to get my bike.

Took me an hour and half, 2 mrt tickets, and a 150 baht moto taxi ride to get my bike back.

So yes, they can get your bike. Also at the police station there were about 20 thais who told me were stopped in front of fortune town for various reason, licence, helmet, wrong line, etc.

Do you think that they will let you go when you will have killed some kids in an accident or broken a 5 millions benz ?

Because of course you also have no insurance if you do not have a license.

I have a car and 2 motorcycles and I have no license for any of them. I went to the license office in Sakon Nakhon to get a license and they told me I couldn't get one. Whenever I get stopped I show my old expired driver's license from my home country and they usually let me go...sometimes I get fined and let go but I've never had my car seized.

I hope this helps the OP and it also answers the question of why an ex-pat would drive in Thailand with no license.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Doubt that they legally can but IMO they should be able to. In the case of an owner who does not have a license it is their responsibility to ensure their driver is properly licensed.

Generally no license = no insurance. Who wants uninsured drivers on the road? I certainly don't.

Do you think that they will let you go when you will have killed some kids in an accident or broken a 5 millions benz ?

Because of course you also have no insurance if you do not have a license.

That is the problem of not having a license.. when my ex-wife was in an accident the insurance asked to see the license before paying out.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Please stop trolling.

There are a lot of reasons why someone would have a vehicle but not a license.

My boss doesn't drive. She doesn't have a driver's license but she does have a vehicle and a driver.

Oh, and yes, she was involved in a small collision while sitting in her vehicle and the driver was inside a market. The vehicle was parked, but the police were pretty sure she was driving. Fortunately, the vehicle was stopped and she didn't even have the keys. All sorted out when the driver returned.

Now, please stay on topic and respond to the OP.

She has a driver, not the same thing at all. Please stay on topic

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post