Review : SETV – in Hong Kong

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I do not think he was intending to travel with his own wheelchair. Thus, your information is only useful if he can rent a wheelchair at the airport. Perhaps, he can by prior arrangement. Probably, though, taxis are a better solution if he can afford it.

I gather that he was using an airport wheelchair, since that's what he wrote.

And no, taxis are NOT necessarily a better solution. Sounds like you have not experienced the Hong Kong transportation system. It is HIGHLY ACCOMMODATING. Taxis, by contrast, ARE NOT. Airport, train, and MTR personnel are ALL -- in my numerous experiences -- EXTREMELY HELPFUL.

Taxis, by contrast, are hit-or-miss -- some are helpful, others are certainly NOT.

Again, this is not conjecture or speculation -- these comments are based on NUMEROUS PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. Don't talk about "probably" -- talk about actual, relevant Hong Kong experience.

41 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

I gather that he was using an airport wheelchair, since that's what he wrote.

And no, taxis are NOT necessarily a better solution. Sounds like you have not experienced the Hong Kong transportation system. It is HIGHLY ACCOMMODATING. Taxis, by contrast, ARE NOT. Airport, train, and MTR personnel are ALL -- in my numerous experiences -- EXTREMELY HELPFUL.

Taxis, by contrast, are hit-or-miss -- some are helpful, others are certainly NOT.

Again, this is not conjecture or speculation -- these comments are based on NUMEROUS PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. Don't talk about "probably" -- talk about actual, relevant Hong Kong experience.

(As an aside, not my main point, he said he uses a wheelchair "from the airline". This service is used by many mobility impaired passengers, but is intended to get them through the airport. The airline does not provide it for your use while a visitor in the country.)

Well, it has been only about six weeks since I last used the MTR, so I expect my knowledge is nearly as current as yours. My father was a paraplegic so I know something about the issues faced by wheelchair users. I agree some MTR stations, and the trains, are wheelchair friendly. However, weaving wheelchairs long distances through crowds of people is not as easy as you might suppose. Unless you have a companion to push, it is especially tiring for those who are elderly or are not regular users. A taxi will go directly from the airport to Fairmont House. Little walking is required at either end, though dealing with luggage could be an issue (as it would be on the MTR).

HEY ALL!

first of great post by the OP. I am going to hong kong in jan 2017 i arrive on a wednesday night and will be going to the consulate first thing thursday morning. I just want to confirm that it only is one day for processing the visa application and i will get my passport back on friday.. as my flight out of hong kong is on monday morning at 9am. ( i know im pushing for time its a bit silly).

Also i have several visa exemption stamps and 1 tourist visa which i obtained in Australia last month.. this will be a problem or not?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickster58 said:

HEY ALL!

first of great post by the OP. I am going to hong kong in jan 2017 i arrive on a wednesday night and will be going to the consulate first thing thursday morning. I just want to confirm that it only is one day for processing the visa application and i will get my passport back on friday.. as my flight out of hong kong is on monday morning at 9am. ( i know im pushing for time its a bit silly).

Also i have several visa exemption stamps and 1 tourist visa which i obtained in Australia last month.. this will be a problem or not?

Thanks in advance

Yes, one-day processing. I assume you have carefully verified that neither your proposed Thursday nor Friday is a holiday.

In my experience, the Hong Kong consulate is friendly, and previous stamps should not be an issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

This is the first time I will be applying for any type of visa outside of the UK so a big thank you to jellybunny for the original post, very useful information.

I am currently in Osaka, Japan and tried to apply for a Thai SETV here but they are very difficult to deal with and basically refuse to process applications from non-residents. I'm sure it's not official policy as there's nothing on their website about this restriction. Tokyo consulate seems to be worse from what I have read so I'm not going to bother.

I will spend a few days enjoying HK and apply there instead. Seems to be much more straight forward there. I've only been to Thailand twice before. First time for only 5 days about 4 years ago (visa exemption), and again last year for 2 months (Sept and Oct, visa exemption + extension). Hopefully I shouldn't have any issues.

Thanks again.

• Like 1