Uninsured foreigners burdens Thai public hospitals

webfact

Just allow foreigner's to participate in the country's 30 baht medical universal coverage program by paying a fair fee. Most Thai's don't pay any income taxes and therefore don't provide funds to pay for govt services such as the free health care provides under the 30 baht program...as least a farang would be paying the fee which is more than a Thai pays.

I am 79 and am in the 30 bt scheme-------- never had to use it but according to you we (Farangs ) are not entitled---------------- Am I wasting my money ?????????blink.png

you are not entitled and if you have a Thai wife neither is she, told to me by the local hospital

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well isnt it just Tit for Tat?....How many thais that travel overseas get all that free medical treatment from most countries...they certainly wouldnt be adding up all the bills and whinging about it would they?...They just get on with looking after the Patient, payment or not...

Nonsense. Don't spew rubbish. Which most other countries provide medical free for foreigner including Thai????

UK

dream on, they haven't done that for a long time unless you a legally resident in the UK or A and E treatment

Wrong. I work in urgent care in Australia and if a patient presents themselves to urgent care and are from a country that does not have a respicale agreement and do not have money they are still treated and presented with a bill. If that biĺl is not paid the hospital has to cover it which of course in the end taxpayers money

Hang on a minute! blink.png

Do you all remember a year ago, there was a tax added to all travelers arriving in Thailand. (added to Airlines and cost passed to us)

Guess what it was meant t cover....???

Ta.....da...... Medical bills for foreigners without a insurance ....

So since this is coming up now.... wonder where or who's pocket that money went into.....

coffee1.gif

Links? That would be a good riposte for the OP. That, plus the TAT hospital fund. :)

So we can leave a Thai hospital without paying the bill ? Never heard about this ? Or maybe it's only private that lock you in your room until you pay ?

I find your post disturbing and very worrying, even if you did write it as a joke of sorts.

Most of these hospitals are grossly expensive as all of them love to overcharge.

You have to be kidding. I'll wager you are from some nanny state with social insurance and where you have paid little or no medical bills. Hospital bills are very expensive. Both my wife and I have used Thai hospitals and find the bills very cheap in comparison to what they would be in the West.

You want everyone to have "Valid travel insurance"? It's not that expensive here. I went to a their hospitals and the bills were 10,000 TOPS. That's $300 USA. I can't imagine they do surgery without proper downpayment... Plus most hospitals here are as good as a voodoo doctor. Antibiotics for gunshot wounds and all.

Where do you get those ideas from, Thai doctors in the hospitals i have been in are as good as they get,many have trained abroad, USA, UK, Norway, etc. Yes treatment can be cheap but an OP can top 100,000 Baht easily. A straight forward OP, appendix for instance cost my wife 53,000 Baht. She caught TB, the newest medication was so expensive ( the doc didn't say how much ) the doctor transfered the costs directly to the insurance after talking with them, an injection a day for 6 months with farang medicine can be ultra costly

How about 1000's of Thai nationals getting free or almost free health care in western Europe.

And the trillions of baht the foreigners bring into Thailand.

Please stop complaining.

The trillions of baht you refer to is for a holiday, which they recieve, not for free treatments in Thai hospitals.

What else do you think the Thais should throw in for free, free taxis? Free food? Free beer? Free bar fines? Free ladyboys? Why should hospitals be any different?

Reminds me of listening to an Englishman complaining he had to pay 20 baht for a beach chair. He complained that "They" should provide them for free and it was a rort. Who is "they" I asked him. The Thai taxpayer? Do "they" provide free chairs for all in England?

The only people who get caught out are those too stingy to pay for insurance. Som nam naa.

Edited by Roomuck

So you want to blame the hospitals because foreigners rip them off. It is not the hospital’s fault if a foreigner doesn’t have any money or refuses to pay his bill. This could easily lead to restrictions on the care of foreigner, which no one wants.

It also provides a good reason for Thailand to consider mandatory medical insurance for any visa or entry. That may be a good way to rid us of the freeloaders with no money. However, that may drive away some of those "quality tourists." Therefore, I suggest we'll see a waiver to sign upon entry to Thailand which says no money up-front, no treatment in hospitals--just die sucker.

Thai gov doesn't want to go into the insurance business as it would be too difficult for them to figure out a premium...

They could end up using a lot more costs than revenue taken in by premiums...

20 million over 8 years is nothing. Those are the charges but my guess the true costs are much less..

as far as i know ,we have a big cold and this morning i went to the public hospital and like for the thais, we have to pay the bill before we get the medecine ....it is not expensive anyway ..in relation with the treatment and assistance you get in thoses places... hard coconut matresses, always full rooms , relatives from sick people sleeping on the floor all night every where, etc etc ...be strong enough to live or die is the lema.... but nobody run away without paying ...and to avoid this problem, if you need surgery or a special treatment who is not taking by the thai government or your insurance , you have to pay before you get operated.... they let you there until the family get the baths....... so i just dont beleive that new.

How about 1000's of Thai nationals getting free or almost free health care in western Europe.

And the trillions of baht the foreigners bring into Thailand.

Please stop complaining.

So now Thailand owes you medical care?

What moron goes to Thailand without travel insurance?

I used to pay about US$60 for a single trip

I think they should be locked up after their treatment till the family or someone else pays.

Thats what would happen if they didnt pay their hotel bill, whats the difference?

UK travel insurance policies are limited to 30 day episodes of foreign travel. It isn't always a lack of forethought that's the problem, its the lack of an available product.

The insurance is available - if you look back a few posts......

I really wish people would at least scan the thread for the answers before they post,,,,,,,,

Travel insurance or health insurance ? Travel insurance policies( of UK origin) are normally restricted to periods of no more than 30 days. Health insurance, setting aside the prohibitive cost for older age groups and the restrictions on pre existing medical conditions, is generally sold as an annual policy. There is no suitable product for those who come here for periods of more than 30 days but don't reside here on a permanent basis

If you go out with a bunch of people and one guy continually does not buy his round and never chips in...does it not annoy you ? If you expect to live in a country and enjoy the facilities, pay for it. Put in something. Its the same issue that is causing so much angst in Europe with people who have put nothing in, but getting all the benefits they do not pay for at the expense of those that do. Its fundamentally not right. If you go to a foreign country have insurance and I think one learns this at aged 18 or before. If you can afford the ticket, hotels and drinking and eating...why can't you pay for adequate insurance and not expect others to pay for you. It ain't rocket science and and sure as hell is not unfair. Why should hospitals pay for people who do not take out insurance. I think its time people took some responsibility and grew a set. Acted like adults not kids who take everything for granted. Get insurance, it is hardly difficult or expensive when coming on holiday. If you can't afford it, then don't come.

Not a very good comparison at all.

A lot of people go out drinking as a bunch, and everybody pays their own way. That way you get what you pay for.

If you pay for treatment in a hospital here, you are not subsidising other patients, you are paying for the treatment YOU received.

I always figured that my Bt 800,000 VISA qualification money was to cover any debts I incurred while in the Kingdom. Why should I have to have insurance + Bt 800,000 in the bank?? If they want to force insurance on incoming tourists it should not be forced on the people with "Retirement" VISA who already have Bt 800,000 up front.

What moron goes to Thailand without travel insurance?

I used to pay about US$60 for a single trip

I think they should be locked up after their treatment till the family or someone else pays.

Thats what would happen if they didnt pay their hotel bill, whats the difference?

UK travel insurance policies are limited to 30 day episodes of foreign travel. It isn't always a lack of forethought that's the problem, its the lack of an available product.

The insurance is available - if you look back a few posts......

I really wish people would at least scan the thread for the answers before they post,,,,,,,,

Travel insurance or health insurance ? Travel insurance policies( of UK origin) are normally restricted to periods of no more than 30 days. Health insurance, setting aside the prohibitive cost for older age groups and the restrictions on pre existing medical conditions, is generally sold as an annual policy. There is no suitable product for those who come here for periods of more than 30 days but don't reside here on a permanent basis

Long stay travel insurance is available from within the UK. Open the link for detail of one such product.

http://www.staysure.co.uk/travelinsurance/longstay

Be aware that these policies are not cheap and are likely to be totally invalidated if riding motorbikes/scooters or indulging in any other "hazardous" pursuit.

Since Thailand is such a dangerous country, just make it compulsory for every visitor to produce proof of travel insurance upon arrival or else just put them in the next flight back! End of the story!

Since Thailand is such a dangerous country, just make it compulsory for every visitor to produce proof of travel insurance upon arrival or else just put them in the next flight back! End of the story!

Brilliant idea !

How would Millions of tourists from many parts of the word "prove" they had travel insurance ?

You can volunteer for screening all Chinese incomers I am sure you speak and read Chinese and are able to determine a Chinese travel insurance policy from a Chinese library card ! smile.png

Hang on a minute! blink.png

Do you all remember a year ago, there was a tax added to all travelers arriving in Thailand. (added to Airlines and cost passed to us)

Guess what it was meant t cover....???

Ta.....da...... Medical bills for foreigners without a insurance ....

So since this is coming up now.... wonder where or who's pocket that money went into.....

coffee1.gif

Links? That would be a good riposte for the OP. That, plus the TAT hospital fund. smile.png

Sorry, dont have any links.

But it was for sure on TV News i read about this.

One of these many taxes added to the Airlines to pay. (and collect back from us the customer)

But i do remember specific that it was meant to cover foreigners medical costs (as some kind of health insurance)

Hmmmm, something is not adding up.......

But, hang on... i forgot where i was....

TIT

coffee1.gif

Real tourists who intend to stay here for up to 2-3 months should not be allowed to travel without an insurance .

A simple check could be done at the airport , no insurance and you're not allowed to enter the plane.

For the rest of us living here without insurance, stupidity comes first in my mind.

You say that but my reserve fund is almost 5 million baht currently and it's off my spending radar, a combination of avoided premiums and investment returns, I can get a lot of sick treated for 5 mill.!

You belong in the elite group. 95% of us do not have that kind of reserve fund available.

As my post does not reveal 1% about my real ideas you would be so much disturbed if you knew what I really think !!!

Anyway you must be a weird person to be disturb for such little.

So we can leave a Thai hospital without paying the bill ? Never heard about this ? Or maybe it's only private that lock you in your room until you pay ?

I find your post disturbing and very worrying, even if you did write it as a joke of sorts.

I always figured that my Bt 800,000 VISA qualification money was to cover any debts I incurred while in the Kingdom. Why should I have to have insurance + Bt 800,000 in the bank?? If they want to force insurance on incoming tourists it should not be forced on the people with "Retirement" VISA who already have Bt 800,000 up front.

If your "retirement Visa" costs 800,000 I am not surprised because there is no such Visa ! smile.png

If you really mean have an "extension of stay" there is no requirement for 800,000 to be kept in the bank for 12 months to "cover debts" you may incur.

Foreigners a cost burden to hospitals.......foreigners overstaying....foreigners attacked by ladyboys............<deleted>......reading all this stuff I can only say that we really are a blight on this country.........

I'm moving to China!!

It should be a law that travel insurance must be presented upon arrival, if you travel without insurance you should be given the option to sign an insurance contract at the airport , maybe a lump sum of 2000 baht or just return home.

Edited by balo

My friend died from cancer in a certain hospital in BKK.His brother came over and paid 16000 quid to the hosp in question.His daughter who has never even been to Thailand was landed with a bill for another 25,000 pounds.she never signed a liability form or any such promise of payment.The brother left the kingdom after giving the hospital a bogus address.They have made threats to repossess her house at home.They even have some,and i use the word loosely,lawyer bombarding her with emails and telephone calls every day.She went to see a lawyer at home who told her she had committed no crime in her own country.When she went to the dads bank,telling them that his girlfriend had drained his account of some 625.000 baht,they said they couldn't do anything about it.

the lawyer said that she would be sued and found guilty in absentia,This makes her a debtor to a country that she has never been to.She was told by a friend at home to forget it and cut contact,because it was unlikely that she would be extradited or arrested on her home soil.

it goes on,but that is too exhausting to write here.

What a mess.

The cost of doing business,the charges they levy,will cover any shortfall

when people don't pay their bills, I am sure, If the Government forces

retirees to have health insurance,while it is virtually impossible or horrendously

expensive to get cover over 70 years of age, that will effect a lot of people here.

regards Worgeordie

This is true! I was married to a Thai nurse and therefore did not need health insurance. (I didn't burden the hospitals at all and in 18 years used their services just once). However, I was 71 when we divorced and now cannot get insurance within my income. If it does become a requirement, and there is no offered solution, then obviously I won't meet extension of stay requirements. No doubt there are others here with similar experience.

There are a number of companies that will issue travel insurance for periods longer than that.

World Nomads will insure for up to one year, so will many others - including AXA UK

BUPA UK's single trip policy covers up to 91 ays