The 2016 Songkran FAQ & discussion topic

JSixpack

Idiots already soaking Baht Bus passengers on Soi Buakhao at 11.00.

Discovered that Kasikorn is closed 13 & 14.

Has anyone found out for sure when Jomtien Immigration is open please?

I thought they'd be starting up there soon. It looks like getting to Central dry will be impossible until the 20th.

Harbor Mall should be easy as I can get there without passing beer bar areas.

Walk/bike down Klang and along 2nd road to back of Central & you won't get wet. Park your bike near Pattaya Memorial, if necessary. No probs whatsoever going this way last year. You can see people chucking water down 7/8 but no one was throwing water on 2nd road. Or. ... come down south Pattaya road & along 2nd. No need to go via Buakaow.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought they'd be starting up there soon. It looks like getting to Central dry will be impossible until the 20th.

Walk/bike down Klang and along 2nd road to back of Central & you won't get wet. Park your bike near Pattaya Memorial, if necessary. No probs whatsoever going this way last year. You can see people chucking water down 7/8 but no one was throwing water on 2nd road. Or. ... come down south Pattaya road & along 2nd. No need to go via Buakaow.

Thanks! That's a great idea coming from Klang and parking your bike. You'll likely get wet coming down Pratumnak when you reach the bar areas adjacent Walking Street though, but I'll go 3rd Road and then come back on Klang.

Well hidden question.

And no question at all.

Reopen on Monday 18th as all government offices.

Many threads on that and a well maintained calendar in the forum.

I was there yesterday.

The sign on the door indicated that they will be closed for 2 days only, open again on the 15th.

Thank you Sir.

Bet against.

Songkran is a three day official holiday.

The "holiest" of the holidays.

All government offices closed.

I was there yesterday.

The sign on the door indicated that they will be closed for 2 days only, open again on the 15th.

Thank you Sir.

Bet against.

Songkran is a three day official holiday.

The "holiest" of the holidays.

All government offices closed.

Suggest first calling and asking on the 15th: 038 252 750.

That's indeed a good idea, but in past years you had water throwing on 2nd Rd from the corners of Sois 7 & 8. Is this no longer the case? You do have the New Plaza beer bar complex across from Soi 8 (where Mick's is) but the bars don't directly face the street..

Back in 1999 before I knew what Songkraan was I walked from Phuket town to Villa 5 I think it was during Songrkaan, about half an hours walk. Not a single drop of water but was stopped every couple of mins and offered drinks with no strings at all, including homemade coconut "wine" which was awesome. Quite tipsy by the time i got home. Magic. Thats how it should be!

Walking around Phuket was more pleasant then!

Then the village folk had the sense to spot a whitey, realise they may not appreciate the Thai custom, but instead the global custom of drink and be merry.

Today even waiing your water opressors wont cut you any slack.

Edited by bodunchar

That's indeed a good idea, but in past years you had water throwing on 2nd Rd from the corners of Sois 7 & 8. Is this no longer the case? You do have the New Plaza beer bar complex across from Soi 8 (where Mick's is) but the bars don't directly face the street..

Not really anymore. Like I said, last year & few years past apart from the main day never really noticed people throwing water on 2nd road, even at New Plaza. I'm away for a couple of weeks, so can't test it is year but like I say most years, Songkran in Pattaya is nowhere near as crazy as years before & you can pretty much go about business as usual if you stay away from bar areas.

If there are any plonkers on the corners of 7 & 8 then you will be walking on the opposite side anyway!

Edited by DMC1

Not really anymore. Like I said, last year & few years past apart from the main day never really noticed people throwing water on 2nd road, even at New Plaza. I'm away for a couple of weeks, so can't test it is year but like I say most years, Songkran in Pattaya is nowhere near as crazy as years before & you can pretty much go about business as usual if you stay away from bar areas.

If there are any plonkers on the corners of 7 & 8 then you will be walking on the opposite side anyway!

There is always a bunch of people throwing water on Pratumnak Road in the area of Soi VC, Soi 16. It's impossible to get to the start of 2nd Road dry.

Songkraners, don't forget to protect your phone

attachicon.gifSongkran toll April 13.jpg

These stats never take into consideration the average number of deaths on non-Songkran days, or other big holidays - giving the impression that people only die on the road during Songkran.

Yes, I've heard it's actually a lower death rate over Songkran & that Thailand averages around 60 road deaths per day anyway - need someone to come back with some correct info on that.

So far it sounds like fewer hooligans but much more traffic this year compared to last.

I think the cause of that is the ever rising number of tourist buses on the streets. It will make all baht bus passengers sitting ducks. On motorbikes you can use the buses as shields LOL. I have nothing to report today as I didn't go anywhere.smile.png

Making this phenomenal sticky thread certainly makes Songkran quiet on the forum. We're already half way there and hardly a complaint heard. I'm almost missing all the aggressive posts anyone who didn't like Songkran used to endure...

Making this phenomenal sticky thread certainly makes Songkran quiet on the forum. We're already half way there and hardly a complaint heard. I'm almost missing all the aggressive posts anyone who didn't like Songkran used to endure...

Hooligan posts would be strictly off-topic and so reported. One of the purposes is to get rid of the GI Joe posturings and other nonsense.

It has nothing to do with facilitating, liking, or celebrating Songkran water-throwing. The FAQ is all about how Pattaya residents and normal tourists may best cope with the long disruption. We are

• venting legitimate complaints about the 10-day length of Pattaya's Songkran,
  • exchanging timely information about avoiding it, and
  • discussing how best to survive it.

They always just say the same things and all is already answered in the FAQ Q&A.

I recall your getting kinda annoyed with one of the trolls last year, tropo.

It saves the mods so much work and we are very thankful for that smile.png

They always just say the same things and all is already answered in the FAQ Q&A.

I recall your getting kinda annoyed with one of the trolls last year, tropo.

LOL. I used "almost" because it's so quiet on here. I should have realized there's a lot of deletions going on behind the scenes. It's a good job!

Is it not over yet ? I wouldn't know, I leave the bulding after 10 pm , it's safe and quiet outside , only a few "drunk" drivers on the road.

But my friends in Bangkok tell me Songkran is over...

Pleas fill in the missing town dates below:

Pattaya 11-19, 19 being the big day

Ban Saray - 20 is the day

Shtahip - 17 is the day

Ban Chan?

Rayong?

What days do they throw water in Ban Chan and Rayong?

Thank you

I've been delaying a visit to check on my vacant Jomtien condo. Is everything over on the 20th in Pattaya/Jomtien?