Birds in your garden

38 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Not exactly birds IN MY GARDEN but we're just back from our annual school holiday in (Soi Dao and) Ko Chang, where i got quite a buzz from watching two birds in particular, which to my non-expert eyes were White-bellied Sea Eagles and Brahminy Kites we saw often and in many places around the island.

I would love to see some Brahminy kites!  Apparently there were very common all over the country up unti recently.  Any know if there are any about in Chiang Mai area?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/16/2018 at 9:18 AM, jak2002003 said:

I would love to see some Brahminy kites!  Apparently there were very common all over the country up unti recently.  Any know if there are any about in Chiang Mai area?

I would be surprised to hear that there aren't. When I lived on a wetlands in Surin I saw as many as a dozen or more Brahminy Kites a day. I now live in Bangsaen, Chonburi - about half way between Bangkok and Pattaya - and see them very regularly here as well. And in my travels, I have seen them often but have not birded in Chiang Mai much. As for WB Sea Eagles, I also saw them when last in Ko Chang and occasionally see them here. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not rare in any way in fact flying rats are my least favourite.

Just liked the different colour of this one.

Focus a bit off because older camera/phone.

2018-05-24 14.05.40.jpg

Done a bit of googling and it does seem to be an unusual colour for here.

No doubt now someone will post a photo of 10/15 of them in their garden. ????

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not rare in any way in fact flying rats are my least favourite.

Just liked the different colour of this one.

Focus a bit off because older camera/phone.

2018-05-24 14.05.40.jpg

That's a strange colour.  Is it a feral pigeon or a native dove?  If its a native dove its very unusual colouration.  If a normal city pigeon it may be a fancy pet variety that has escaped.  

9 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

That's a strange colour.  Is it a feral pigeon or a native dove?  If its a native dove its very unusual colouration.  If a normal city pigeon it may be a fancy pet variety that has escaped.  

We are discouraging 'doos' ( Scottish ) from settling on/around the house but I wouldn't mind this one staying a while so I have time to get a closer look.

Didn't get a close enough view to see it was ringed or not.

Got 30-60+ of these undesirables (Rock Pigeons) in and around the patch here in BKK on daily basis. Got every brown, gray, black and white colors & variations, combos and patterns imaginable. This is a nice one, but have a few similar here.

One gentle white female with black spots is my fave. She is quite promiscuous too. Started watching her last year when she first appeared here and seemed small and young...AND she has had 3 regular "boyfriends" since!- Also quite the flirt when she has some solo time. 

A true Thai female thru and thru! :vampire:

Don't know what it says about the thread (and more importantly ME ?) reduced to posting pix of Rock Pigeons! But sticking with the latest by Overherebc, is (arguably haha) better than nothing. Do spend alot of my downtime on the lanai drinking coffee, reading, drinking beer, etc...so watch the goings on of the local flora & fauna. Can be quite dead during the "dog daze" of summer. Also keep a list of butterflies and moths in the patch too.

This is my "fave" RODO (Rock Dove) mentioned in previous post. 

1902804468_DSC04149(Medium).JPG.677b77be01ef0d4aa860a453b7b5dd85.JPG

1776715116_DSC04152(Medium).JPG.0f3deda999d468f9dbfd9f190d2107f8.JPG

Here's a couple unusual examples round here...

1858577841_DSC05118(Large).JPG.f18e31aa0867971c264eb6c1de7edb1a.JPG

1741725692_DSC05113(Medium).JPG.ac9ab16bf35ffb08b865ac35453225c3.JPG

1381273653_DSC05106(Medium).JPG.f64aadbde034c6306e388b60f708cf83.JPG

Much as I love pigeons when they are not defecating on my outside areas I thought I would share a few non-pigeon pics from the garden. Given the time of year when most birds are breeding these are all juveniles:

1. Coppersmith Barbet

2. Green Bee-eater

3. Oriental Magpie Robin

coppersmith.jpg

juvbeeeater2.jpg

juvmagpierobin.jpg

Only one definite summer visitor so far this season up here in Phetchabun, Cinnamon Bittern(resident Thailand,  but moves to my area in Summer).

No sign of Black Bittern yet(recorded 29 May 2017). Anyone clocked one yet?

cinnamonbittern (2).jpg

OK...ENOUGH with those HIGH quality pix of HIGH quality birds! Truly stunning to say the least...but time to get back to reality with crappy quality Pigeon pix! ?

Though infrequent here, best bird in the patch for a while...Red Turtle Dove (aka Red Collared Dove). Seen at least a half dozen times...usually flybys in pairs...managed some even crappier pix a couple years ago when a single bird was preening atop a fairly distant tree. This evening right before sundown and overcast skies...a pair flew by and lit in a tree about 50 m off. One was briefly visible and managed to get a grainy snap. It's possible they may even nest around here, as last year saw them a time or 2 with nest material. 

DSC05124e.jpg.7c393199bbbd1d170c02331ae2db76f4.jpg

2 hours ago, thetefldon said:

No sign of Black Bittern yet(recorded 29 May 2017). Anyone clocked one yet?

Only ever seen 1 here...early morn fly thru a couple years ago around this time, if memory serves. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Keep seeing a pair of these birds. Very nervy birds so can't get close to them. Similar to mynah bird in size but have a white head. Anyone know what they are?

20180608_170311.jpg

16 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Black-collared Starling. Mynas in the Starling family. 

Posted this pic way back on page 17...much to the chagrin of the late, great Isanbirder! 

post-216783-0-04675200-1468441522_thumb.jpg.b417ff1a97a02ecfabe0d432cdc8afc5.jpg

Couple of new garden birds yesterday which now puts my yard total to a none too shabby 110. Pics not my normal standard but OK for records.

1. Tickells Blue Flycatcher

2. Oriental Turtle Dove

Also first sighting of Black Bittern 2 days ago.

unid-2.jpg

orientalTD (2).jpg

Nice. You just surpassed my Surin Yard List of 109, though I did a keep at least a couple off that list that I saw literally steps away from my yard. Stickler for the rules, I suppose. Surin was 109 yard and 176 surrounding area (about 25 square kilometers). 

My current Bangsaen, Chonburi list is somewhere around 90, but I would have to go back in this thread and check. 

What is your location again? Love to see the location and the full list. Keep it up. 

19 hours ago, AjarnNorth said:

Nice. You just surpassed my Surin Yard List of 109, though I did a keep at least a couple off that list that I saw literally steps away from my yard. Stickler for the rules, I suppose. Surin was 109 yard and 176 surrounding area (about 25 square kilometers). 

My current Bangsaen, Chonburi list is somewhere around 90, but I would have to go back in this thread and check. 

What is your location again? Love to see the location and the full list. Keep it up. 

My rules are a bit less strict, basically anything I can see(photograph) from the house.

I currently have a figure of 153 for surrounding area which includes Tat Mok NP, Khao Kho and one visit to Nam Nao which was cut short when I got leeched!

Find attached links to my website:

Map of area

Species List

6 hours ago, thetefldon said:

My rules are a bit less strict, basically anything I can see(photograph) from the house.

I currently have a figure of 153 for surrounding area which includes Tat Mok NP, Khao Kho and one visit to Nam Nao which was cut short when I got leeched!

Find attached links to my website:

Map of area

Species List

Nah, same rules. There were just a couple I saw just a few steps off my property that I may not have seen from my property so I didn't include them. One was a Siberian Rubythroat and the other was a Verditer FC. Photos of both and just steps awy, but definitively not from my property line which was well marked off with a low wall. That was Surin and I think I sent you that information. 

33 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I have bul-buls nesting in our banyan tree and I see one in and out near the top and another lower down. Do they nest close together ?

I don't want to go sticking my nose in and end up scaring them off.

They can nest close together.

The bulbuls in our garden always seem to choose the most stupid and dangerous places to make a nest.  Its a wonder any chicks survive.  At the moment there is a nest in a small shrub less than a meter above ground.  The chicks are making so much noise that I am surprised no predator has heard them yet.  At least there are no cats in our garden because our 2 small dogs chased them all off when we first moved here.. and now they are scared to venture back!  

I also have a pet bulbul that I hand raised when a nest blew down in a storm. The other chicks were dead, and he was getting eaten alive by ants... but he did well.  The wild ones come and sit on top of his cage and steal his food through the bars.. and he gets really mad!  I wanted to release him but he is too tame and has no fear of humans, dogs or anything.  He will not even move out of the way if he is sitting on the floor and would be easy to step on. He will fly to me or my partner and want his head tickled, and even land on the dogs backs for a ride.   He seems very happy though and sings nice which cheers me up in the mornings.  

Archived