Birds in your garden

As I went in a restaurant yesterday I noticed this crow picking up and moving stones and leaves in the big jar. 

After eating I came out and the crow was still busy.

I crounched down to put my drink and glasses case down so I could video the crow and it came right over to me, hung around me for a minute then moved to the big jar in front of me, picked up a stone and took it back to its favourite jar and went back to sorting its stones.

Not very often I see a crow here and I've never seen one so close.

• Like 1

Corvids are really intelligent, curious, playful and possibly even self aware. Most people don't realize this. Here's a snippet from Google. A simple search will reveal so much more.

Scientists compare the intelligence of crows to that of a seven-year-old human child. Crows, ravens, and other corvids are the only non-primates that make tools. Crows are capable of abstract reasoning, complex problem-solving, and group decision-making.Jun 22, 2562 BE

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Can anyone ID this beautiful guy, there are a pair of them in my garden.

CB6BF1B9-AAB1-4DD6-B93B-397E651B976E.jpeg

Indian Hoopoe.

Sometimes they lie down, spread out and look dead.

They are sun-bathing to get rid of parasites.

I see them a couple of times a year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Just for accuracy, it's technically a Eurasian Hoopoe (aka Common Hoopoe). Very cool species. 

I LOVE these birds!

We have a pair nesting in a coconut palm just over our back fence.

The same area is frequented by a Golden Oriole as well. Birdie heaven!

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 12:39 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Corvids are really intelligent, curious, playful and possibly even self aware. Most people don't realize this. Here's a snippet from Google. A simple search will reveal so much more.

Scientists compare the intelligence of crows to that of a seven-year-old human child. Crows, ravens, and other corvids are the only non-primates that make tools. Crows are capable of abstract reasoning, complex problem-solving, and group decision-making.Jun 22, 2562 BE

The following non-primates also make tools-

Tool manufacture and use are virtually non-existent among non-human primates. However, gorillas, common chimpanzees, bonobos, orangutans, long-tailed macaques and capuchin monkeys are notable exceptions. Some of them use very simple tools to help in acquiring food and water.

There are some good details on National Geographic tv series about chimpanzees using stones to open nuts.

Bottle nosed dolphins in Australia, elephants, sea otters etc. use various tools to catch food or cool them selves.

What about army ants that build bridges from their own bodies to get to where they want to go safely ?

I am sure if we think carefully we will have seen various animals / insects use tools of some kind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, G Rex said:

same area is frequented by a Golden Oriole

Birds, bird ID and photography are my passion, so not being pedantic nor derisive, but again rather just for accuracy...there's no Golden Oriole in Thailand.

There's a "Silver" and a "Maroon" and even a "Black and Crimson", but no Golden. India has one and Europe has one, but not Thailand. Assuming yours is likely the most widespread yellow oriole here, Black-naped, but depending on your location...there are other similar possibilities. TMI for sure, but there are more than a dozen subspecies of Black-naped, of which 2 occur here in Thailand.

555 Apologies for putting u thru all that! ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Which is the best one/your go to? I just have the one at bottom left side.

None are great "field" guides mainly due to size, weight being hardback or just rudimentary, as in the one you mentioned. Out in the field, the Craig Robson is the best...bottom and second from left because it's paperback, as well as being very thorough and only slightly cumbersome. For 25+ years my fave was top and second from left P Round/B Lekagul Birds of Thailand. Recently, the top far right Lynx Birds of Thailand, which just came out in 2018, is now my fave "go to" at home or back at the car or reviewing photos. 

Recommending ONLY one...based on size, detail, price and portability, the Craig Robson paperback. The Round/Lekagul has been out of print for years and extremely hard to find. The new Lynx book is superb, but extremely pricey at around B2600 and up. 

Edited by Skeptic7

3 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

None are great "field" guides mainly due to size, weight being hardback or just rudimentary, as in the one you mentioned. Out in the field, the Craig Robson is the best...bottom and second from left because it's paperback, as well as being very thorough and only slightly cumbersome. For 25+ years my fave was top and second from left P Round/B Lekagul Birds of Thailand. Recently, the top far right Lynx Birds of Thailand, which just came out in 2018, is now my fave "go to" at home or back at the car or reviewing photos. 

Recommending ONLY one...based on size, detail, price and portability, the Craig Robson paperback. The Round/Lekagul has been out of print for years and extremely hard to find. The new Lynx book is superb, but extremely pricey at around B2600 and up. 

Thanks, well worth knowing. I have seen them all around over the years except the Keith Taylor one (bottom middle).

• Like 1

For about the past 10 days, I've had a family of 3 pied fantails (one of my favourite birds here) very active on my garden fence about 2m in front of my window/work desk. They spend most the day going back and forth along the fence. There's a juvenile that never stops calling out for food; it's very successful. ????

Lovely entertainment when I'm working.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

The following non-primates also make tools-

Tool manufacture and use are virtually non-existent among non-human primates. However, gorillas, common chimpanzees, bonobos, orangutans, long-tailed macaques and capuchin monkeys are notable exceptions. Some of them use very simple tools to help in acquiring food and water.

There are some good details on National Geographic tv series about chimpanzees using stones to open nuts.

Bottle nosed dolphins in Australia, elephants, sea otters etc. use various tools to catch food or cool them selves.

What about army ants that build bridges from their own bodies to get to where they want to go safely ?

I am sure if we think carefully we will have seen various animals / insects use tools of some kind.

Yes...my dog is often using the computer and my cat playing the piano.  

Edited by jak2002003

On 3/28/2022 at 6:48 PM, KarenBravo said:

Indian Hoopoe.

Sometimes they lie down, spread out and look dead.

They are sun-bathing to get rid of parasites.

I see them a couple of times a year.

Already stated, Eurasian hoopoe - Upupa epops, is the only one visiting and hanging out in Thailand.

May want to browse ebird or ThaiNatPark site before guessing species of birds.

https://ebird.org/explore

https://www.thainationalparks.com/list-of-birds-of-thailand

For those using FB, there is a Thai ID group, part of ThaiNatPark site: 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thai.species.id

They actually verify sightings, unlike eBird site.  No photo, it never happened, so range mapping is more accurate. ????