Birds in your garden

39 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I dont know what kind of bat they are but they are very cute.

Visited this place end of last year and was amazed at the masses of flying foxes in all of the Wat's trees. Here (Wat Pho Bang Khla) and Wat  Paknam Jolo a couple of kilometres away are well worth a visit (nice river trip available also from Wat to Wat) - on the Bangpakong river in Chachoengsao.

Wat Pho Bang Khla Flying Foxes

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pV6sAv5bKZG7xe2c7

line_83459779866930.jpg

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I was watching some of this guy's YouTube videos on sparrows nests he makes, when this one came up to remind me it's

brutal out there for chicks.

He later change the design by adding an entrance in to the coconut, made from a short length of pvc piping, to prevent bigger birds access in to the coconut nest and to the contents (chicks).

And this is why I hate those Asian Koels. They are brood parasites, vermin, cuckoos. It's what cuckoos do - they destroy the eggs and the young of garden songbirds. 

On 4/1/2021 at 7:27 PM, JetsetBkk said:
On 4/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, n00dle said:

<snip>

Also rarely seen but in obvious abundance is this <deleted>

Expand  

I bought an air pistol because of that "deleted" bird. I never hit it because it was always too high up in the trees, but I managed to scare it off a few times. I've no idea what the neighbours thought hearing this "deleted" Nok Gow-wow followed by a couple of rapid bangs.

I will keep my pistol at the ready if it/they ever return. 

• Sad 1

Was watching a good battle in my garden which lasted about 10mins.

Regularly have a coucal skulking around the garden. It was being attacked and chased from tree to tree by two fantails - they occasionally divebomb me if I'm in a part of the garden they don't want me in.

It got interesting when an adult squirrel (we have squirrel nests also - bloody things amuse me but eat a little bit of a mango before moving on to the next mango) started climbing to the top of the tree I think it or the fantails have a nest in. 

The coucal started making noises I haven't heard before.

This was all going on above my head in 3 trees as I struggled to get a picture or video - I failed.

Eventually the coucal flew off - it will be back.

• Like 2

Had a weird hour or so today.

Admiring the wife's new orchid in the garden, we spotted a pile of feathers from a dove right in the middle of the lawn: can only assume a cat had had it and not monitor lizard or snake.

Not long later we had a green tree snake somehow get in to the kitchen and behind the fridge. The fridge is next to the external door so I took the mosi screen door off, sprayed mosi spray at the snake (I could see it at the side of the fridge), seconds later it literally flew out the back door and away - it moved that quick it was like a flash of colour.

Not long later I went walking laps in the park. First lap saw this little fella in the middle of the footpath  - lots of cats around there. Second lap it was still there so I tried to pick it up as it didn't move quickly or far from me but it fluttered up on to a fence. As it was in a precarious position I tried again, it flew back past me to where it'd been on the ground. Knowing it could fly and seeing 4 birds adults in the garden opposite I made it fly in that direction on to the garden wall. Third lap it was inside the garden, with an adult, tapping beaks together. Days away from being strong enough to fly properly, will it make it?

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Had a weird hour or so today.

Admiring the wife's new orchid in the garden, we spotted a pile of feathers from a dove right in the middle of the lawn: can only assume a cat had had it and not monitor lizard or snake.

Not long later we had a green tree snake somehow get in to the kitchen and behind the fridge. The fridge is next to the external door so I took the mosi screen door off, sprayed mosi spray at the snake (I could see it at the side of the fridge), seconds later it literally flew out the back door and away - it moved that quick it was like a flash of colour.

Not long later I went walking laps in the park. First lap saw this little fella in the middle of the footpath  - lots of cats around there. Second lap it was still there so I tried to pick it up as it didn't move quickly or far from me but it fluttered up on to a fence. As it was in a precarious position I tried again, it flew back past me to where it'd been on the ground. Knowing it could fly and seeing 4 birds adults in the garden opposite I made it fly in that direction on to the garden wall. Third lap it was inside the garden, with an adult, tapping beaks together. Days away from being strong enough to fly properly, will it make it?

So cute. Looks like a magpie robin, and these kinds of birds leave the nest before they can fly. So long as it finds some cover and shrubbery to climb up onto it stands as good a chance as any. 

We've got a real noisy bird that seems to have settled on an empty housing plot down my soi this week. It makes the 'did-he-do-it' call and looks like a red wattled lapwing so that's what I assume it is. Noisy calling all day and night. Is it a native or visitor bird?

33 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We've got a real noisy bird that seems to have settled on an empty housing plot down my soi this week. It makes the 'did-he-do-it' call and looks like a red wattled lapwing so that's what I assume it is. Noisy calling all day and night. Is it a native or visitor bird?

Red-wattled Lapwing is a year round resident throughout Thailand. 

• Like 1

Can anyone name this bird?

Got this bird with really loud annoying call that doesn't have any respect for social hours.

It will make it's call any time of day or night and it's so irritating and loud that it puts the local chickens to shame.

Never actually seen it so sorry no image but here soundbite of it's call.

• Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Can anyone name this bird?

Got this bird with really loud annoying call that doesn't have any respect for social hours.

It will make it's call any time of day or night and it's so irritating and loud that it puts the local chickens to shame.

Never actually seen it so sorry no image but here soundbite of it's call.

Plaintive Cuckoo 

• Like 1

The trees in my garden have grown too much (only had them trimmed in Feb 2020 - every few years we have to do it), a neighbour was moaning about them, they worry us in windy storms, so we had a company come in and REALLY trim them down to eaves level ????

My beautiful trees don't look too good right now.

Unfortunately we had lots of squirrels and birds in them trees, definitely birds nests with chicks, squirrels dreys but I think without young, and at 6pm after the work was done it was a sad sight of birds and squirrels going from decimated tree to tree.

Give it time, the trees will grow back, the nests will be back, the cycle goes on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The trees in my garden have grown too much (only had them trimmed in Feb 2020 - every few years we have to do it), a neighbour was moaning about them, they worry us in windy storms, so we had a company come in and REALLY trim them down to eaves level ????

My beautiful trees don't look too good right now.

Unfortunately we had lots of squirrels and birds in them trees, definitely birds nests with chicks, squirrels dreys but I think without young, and at 6pm after the work was done it was a sad sight of birds and squirrels going from decimated tree to tree.

Give it time, the trees will grow back, the nests will be back, the cycle goes on.

I have noticed that this year the people in my village seem to have gone a bit over the top with the tree cutting / pruning.  I have been here 16 years and this is the first time I have seen them go to such an extreme. I guess there must have been a thing on the TV or social media about the dangers of trees this year.

Many large rain Trees have been raised to the ground.  All the native trees with spiky white bark (don't know the name - get very tall have red flowers) have all gone from the area...even ones in vacant plots of farmland no one uses. 

All the roadside trees have been hacked back to just a trunk and neighbours have done the same to their fruit trees and chopped down and dug up the huge bamboo thickets.  Place looks like a nuclear bomb has been through it. Just hot and no shade from the sun. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a pair of Red-wattled Lapwings in my garden. Beautiful birds, but very annoying as they call day and night. Don't they ever sleep?

The Greater Coucal is a non-parasitic cuckoo. They are not very good at flying and seem more comfortable clambering around the under-growth. Really funny to see them crash land almost every time, though, they never seem to hurt themselves.

28 minutes ago, pjuk said:

Can anybody name this little guy?

A woodpecker for sure I think.

I've looked online and can't find a similar image.

is was taken in my garden in Koh Samui.

I think it's a coppersmith barbet. They're quite fun to watch. I got a similar video in central Bangkok a few years ago, in an area where there wasn't really much greenery but they'd come across a tree they liked. 

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

I concur. It's a Coppersmith Barbet; a common resident that is found all over Thailand. Have seen them in my garden in Phuket.

That explains why I couldn't find anything under woodpeckers.

Thanks for your input.

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Sad to report that a house close to mine has been caught with a cage in the garden, used to capture wild birds, specifically i think the red-whiskered bulbul which I've seen in that area. They've been told by the guards to remove it. I'll go have a nosey during my afternoon walk.

Screenshot_20210530-215011_LINE.jpg

Screenshot_20210530-214954_LINE.jpg

Is that illegal to trap them? I see those traps openly for sale in the pet shops in town.  

I also see many people have these bulbul birds in the wooden cages as pets. 

Red-whiskered are so sensitive in Thailand that the huge global bird reporting and info sharing network eBird keeps sightings of the species private and does not divulge location. For those not familiar with eBird, the free app was downloaded 100,000 times in 2019 alone. It's from the preeminent Cornell Lab of Ornithology. This excerpt from the full article below...

As of 2020, it has collected more than 860 million global bird observations from over 597,000 registered eBirders. By sheer numbers alone, eBird is one of the world’s largest citizen-science projects.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2419209/ebird-online-platform-app-birding#close