Birds in your garden

There was no doubt in my mind, as I've taken more than a few snaps of them.  Age & sex will alter their look just a bit, but they stay pretty similar.  Other birds, can look completely different in the different sex & age range.

Khun_LA

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

We were in the area so we did our annual visit to see the Gulls from Siberia, Mongolia, Tibet and China wintering at Bang Pu pier (they visit every November to April).

Chaotic but great fun feeding them bags of pork scratchings.

They are extremely agile, you feel you are going to have them crash in to you as they get so close, they are experts at carefully and gently taking the food from your fingers.

1637232278852.thumb.jpg.df164f4f6e1e03f0405cbbaf9ed7f43b.jpgIt's a popular attraction for the locals.

1637232285618.jpg

1637232285656.jpg

1637232267788.jpg

1637232260762.jpg

• Like 1

For the past few days the two chicks have been hanging around on our garden paved floor area. Today there's only one.

A bit like the adults, you can get really close to them.

Be interested to see if it's back in the morning. Plenty of cats use my garden as a highway, also lots of snakes (found a dead rat snake in the garden this afternoon - we suspect a bird had it), monitors - a python sometimes lives under the empty house opposite.

14 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

For the past few days the two chicks have been hanging around on our garden paved floor area. Today there's only one.

Pleased to see it's back to two youngsters again this morning (always come to the same spot in the garden - the area where I put bread).

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:35 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

A bit like the adults, you can get really close to them.

Be interested to see if it's back in the morning. Plenty of cats use my garden as a highway, also lots of snakes (found a dead rat snake in the garden this afternoon - we suspect a bird had it), monitors - a python sometimes lives under the empty house opposite.

Very cute 

I used to keep and breed zebra doves. Including rare pure while ones. They are so sweet and beautiful too...close up.

Mine were 'pedigree' ones, bred for their singing ability and quite pricy.  People could win big prize money from the best singing one in the bird competitions.

They got some tame as I interacted with them every day and handled the babies since they were young. I even could let them out to fly free and they would come back each evening to their sperate cages to go to sleep safe from predictors. 

I think they came from Australia and the ones you see outside in Thailand are feral birds. 

I released the last of my birds when I moved house many years back. But I still live the same area and when I go back to my old Street I often see a fee of my old birds (with rings on their legs) hanging about with the wild ones.

Hope your zebra dove family all grow up and survive well.  Thanks for the videos and pictures. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I live 18km outside of Udon.   Recently there's been a bird(s) in an area thick with bamboo.  I can hear them but can't see them.  Similar sound to doves......but definitely not doves.

I'm trying to identify by sound using an app on my android smartphone.  Can anyone suggest an app that works for birds likely to be found in this part of the world?

On 11/21/2021 at 11:25 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Pleased to see it's back to two youngsters again this morning (always come to the same spot in the garden - the area where I put bread).

Since worked out that there's 5 birds (2 adults and 3 young) and not 4 as i had thought. Only seen the 5 eating together once. 

I've also worked out why these greedy buggers are always first there when I throw out bread in the morning - they live in a tree in the garden about 15 metres from where I throw the bread ????

See them in the same tree every night. 

1641469550881.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I live 18km outside of Udon.   Recently there's been a bird(s) in an area thick with bamboo.  I can hear them but can't see them.  Similar sound to doves......but definitely not doves.

I'm trying to identify by sound using an app on my android smartphone.  Can anyone suggest an app that works for birds likely to be found in this part of the world?

Not aware of such an app for SE Asia. If possible, make a recording and upload it here. I can prob ID it for you. 

18 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not aware of such an app for SE Asia. If possible, make a recording and upload it here. I can prob ID it for you. 

Must be my lucky day!  When I took our dog out for her morning run, I spotted a pair of hoopoes on the ground at our entrance gate.  One flew off right away, but the other stayed while I stood motionless for a few minutes.  We saw a hoopoe in the yard several years ago.....but not recently, until today.  I found a hoopoe mp3 on the internet, and that's the bird that I've been hearing.  The name in Thai is นกกะรางหัวขวาน - ax head hoopoe      Thanks for the offer to id~

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to have a queue of birds waiting for me to throw bread out the kitchen window. This morning I had this little family visit.

We put out over ripe bananas we can't eat (i slit them wide open) which are very popular and every bit of the fruit is eaten. Same with the mangoes that fall from the tree above.

You'll see a small orange on the floor I put out to see if any takers - NONE!

22 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

What a good idea! Now why didn't I think of that?

The 'more interesting birds in my garden' eat the bananas/mangoes, the 'least interesting birds' eat the bread (and the broken bits from the bottom of my muesli container that i put out when i want to clean the container).

• Like 2

We also have a lot of birds in the garden ,no cats and the dogs are taught to leave them alone.

The last few years we also have a lot of squirrels and they also come to eat fruit everyday.

I was camping in E-tong Pilok a few weeks ago and i heard a bird sound that

i have never heard before,i should have made a recording but it was in the middle

of the night and i just forgot to do it.

The sound is as some one using a small rattle drum.At first i thought that is what it was but i heard

an answer from three different sides.

I assume it was birds ,does any one has any idea what kind of bird it could have been?

39 minutes ago, jvs said:

We also have a lot of birds in the garden ,no cats

I "have" 2 cats (don't know where they came from, but I fed them and now they appear every day), but they are too lazy to chase the birds, or too well fed - they love Aro Tuna chunks!  ????

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

OK so this is :offtopic:cuz it's nowhere near my garden. HOWEVER, do believe all following this thread will find very interesting. Went to Khok Kham Conservation Area & Salt Farms in Samut Sakhon the other day in search of the extremely rare endangered (since 2004) and critically endangered (since 2008) Spoon-billed Sandpiper. They breed in Russia and winter in SE Asia. It's numbers are estimated to be down by 88% since just 2000. Had 2 individuals and managed a few decent snaps. 

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of shorebirds feeding here of 15 different species. More are certainly possible, but we had 15. 50 painted storks too. 

1646721480013_copy_1479x1356.thumb.jpg.1fcbf3b8268aef9a0cab5a530ba42b1b.jpg

1646721480048_copy_1499x1637.thumb.jpg.4fd53d42d59fde1b3a6f50433280cddb.jpg

1646721480123_copy_1046x1377.thumb.jpg.1dd4776d357dafdb4fc7fb13f83a99eb.jpg

PSX_20220305_140753.thumb.jpg.fa32891a9dd6c86a56573583c76fab51.jpg

PSX_20220305_140932.thumb.jpg.6b1f8432b59180c46d9c35f406fb5ee0.jpg

PSX_20220305_140036.thumb.jpg.f0c6eb079b2d3f0b677ce080c2447246.jpg

PSX_20220305_135847.thumb.jpg.f702e1e02d509a57429d367c3ad1e70e.jpg

PSX_20220305_140224.thumb.jpg.51f83ee3dc5c0beb0327d32f4da5f632.jpg

PSX_20220305_140612.thumb.jpg.cf823e7a56eca0fd02bc0670f8b508bf.jpg

Wow....that is amazing!  I would have loved to shave seen those.  Great photos..

I read that one major contributing factor to the birds decline is that they are caught in nets and eaten by people in Burma when the birds are migrating through there.

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Wow....that is amazing!  I would have loved to shave seen those.  Great photos..

I read that one major contributing factor to the birds decline is that they are caught in nets and eaten by people in Burma when the birds are migrating through there.

Yeah saw that too. They are basically avian "bycatch". A term used in drift net fishing where nontarget species are collateral damage. They are so small, wouldn't make much of a meal tho larger shorebird species are the prize. Habitat loss due to humans and climate change are also major factors. Sadly their future looks very dim indeed. Glad I got to observe and photograph a couple. 

• Like 1