Birds in your garden

On 8/17/2022 at 12:56 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Have a dove or doves (zebras I think) that love sitting on the window ledge of the window which is right behind my bed, so they’re a bit annoying waking me up with their cooing as soon as dawn breaks. Had a look and saw they’d just started building a nest on the window ledge so I removed it hoping that would make them go away.

A week later their noise was back – found they’d built the nest again and had laid 2 eggs. One chick is now left.

The nest is totally exposed to sun, wind and rain – it’s on the south elevation so gets the worst of the sun – so it’s hard to believe that they build a nest which is so exposed.

20220802_120012.jpg

20220802_120007.jpg

1660653335761.jpg

1660653335925.jpg

1660653340672.jpg

Chick is still on it's precarious nest. Mum or dad still checking in the chick

1661220739304.jpg

1661220739537.jpg

1661228085507.jpg

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, masonp001 said:

Birds will be encouraged to visit your garden for shelter, nesting and to feed if you plant trees such as rowan, holly, hawthorn and honeysuckle and shrubs such as cotoneaster, berberis and pyracantha.

I doubt any of those plants / trees will survive in Thailand ????

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 7:41 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Chick is still on it's precarious nest. Mum or dad still checking in the chick

1661220739304.jpg

1661220739537.jpg

1661228085507.jpg

Back in August, had the nest on our (upstairs) bedroom window sill. One of the 2 chicks fledged and joined all the others that live in our garden (they sleep in the tree furthest from the house and are always first to arrive when I throw bread out).

We have 2 more chicks. This nest is precariously perched on top of a light fitting, again on the south elevation (super hot), and is just above head height on the ground floor. Bird on nest doesn't seem too bothered when we walk past.

1667121367172.jpg

1667121378601.jpg

1667121385858.jpg

Edited by Bredbury Blue

It's really interesting to watch the coming and goings. I've got the wife interested over the years, my lads no so.

The nest in my cycling helmet (has had chicks in it on 2 occasions) was really interesting. The nest was right next to the car driver's door when the car was parked. The adult birds would sit in a bush next to the car passengers door waiting till it was all clear to return to the nest. Kneeling on my sofa and looking out the window I could look in to and watch all the nest action.

Weirdest I've had was a large monitor lizard (we live next to a klong) that dug a hole in the wife's bedding plants right next to the car. It didn't want to move and it was too close to walk past without worrying. I'd make it move though with a sweeping brush. 4th day it didn't return.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

2 or 3 eggs, but the squirrels got them.  Sad few days of mourning chirping for the birds.  Emotional little things.

Very few chicks make it at my place over the years. Squirrels, tukae or green snakes I'm not sure

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 2

Seasonal birds starting to visit.  Saw quite a few more Bee-eaters around the house.  Obvious some, like myself, prefer being a resident after visiting TH, as here everyday.

Saw my first Drongo near the house, while walking the dog.  Of course didn't have my camera.  A few of them hang out all year also, though not nearly as many as the Bee-eaters.

Note to self:  take your damn camera with you

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Not so ugly now ????

1667995300335.jpg

1667995303898.jpg

They will be lovely then they grow up. I used to keep and breed these zebra doves for the bird singing competitions....they were 'pedigree' and could get a good piece for them.  I even bred pure white ones, which are very rare and expensive!!!

They are such gentle and cute little things. 

• 4 weeks later...

Squirrels or 'tree rats as they are affectionately known are the worst enemy of all garden wild life. We have bulbuls that regularly nest in our shrubs but the tree rats find them just as the chicks are ready to fledge. Anybody know how to get rid of the squirrels?

12 minutes ago, maddermax said:

Squirrels or 'tree rats as they are affectionately known are the worst enemy of all garden wild life. We have bulbuls that regularly nest in our shrubs but the tree rats find them just as the chicks are ready to fledge. Anybody know how to get rid of the squirrels?

Cut their nuts off!!   ????

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, maddermax said:

I don't think you can. We regularly trim the trees in our garden which means occasionally a squirrel drey will come down with the branches we trim. They just go build another one. Buggers eat our papaya and mangoes (they nibble a mango and then move to the next and the next). They can also be very nosey, particularly the young ones. I don't mid them in the garden as they are entertaining but the wife (the gardener) hates them.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1

Was thinking the other day how I haven't heard any Koel calls in recent times around my house. One of my favourite sounds; THE sound of southeast Asia for me. Never understand why people dislike or get upset by koels calling each other. Doesn't bother me at all, in fact I like it, when I hear them calling in the wee hours.

Any reason they might move moved? Nothing particularly has changed in my area. Might they return? Are they only noisy during mating season?

Edit: my wife says she hears them, must be me switching off.

My wife's favourite is the bird that sings "I didn't do it, I didn't do it"  - lapwing 

Edited by Bredbury Blue