Noisy, rude Russian just moved in above. What to do?

you have not handled it well.

​What would have been a better first step? That might give me an idea of what I can do next to solve the problem.

I had a similar problem in Jomtien only it was with Thais. I tried for a long time to sort it but ended up moving to a house and letting the condo.

Now I just get the booming bass-heavy music from the surrounding villages and temple.

If anything makes me leave Thailand it'll be the noise.

Edited by jesimps

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. 2. If correct, what is the best way to do it?

You don't mention if he threatened violence in any way, but if he is deliberately making your life a misery, then pay three or four Thai guys to sort him out.

A word with the security guy and a brown envelope should sort things out.

Well I was in a similar situation I had to complain against French and British tennants, I don't want to talk about the nature of their behaviour - but they were outright breaking the condominium rules and as you all well know when it comes to Farangs the management is usually always slow to react - they just don't want to get involved - in a way that can serve as an encouragement for some foreigners to never change their behaviour even when it's completely wrong. So I approached them myself - but I wasn't stupid enough to try to humiliate them in front of their wives or girlfriends - that's ultimate stupidity and it's just really weird - just letting the author of this article know. Of course I specifically chose a moment when these "gentlemen" were all by themselves and I spoke to them in Public area - what I faced in the end was an extremely violent reaction with lots of insults and swearing, lol. Unforunately a lot of people who come here from western countries are often completely out of whack - and usually it gets worse the more time they spend in Thailand... It's almost pointless to try to talk any sense to them at all... they all have delusions of grandeur and entitlement issues - sounds a lot like the Author of this article also.

Since I wasn't born yesterday - the real problem for the author is that he feels a complete loser compared to this Russian because the Russian lives with a pretty white girl from his own group of people - normal healthy relationship, lots of sex and so on, so he's basically just a normal healthy man... So every step this Russian makes is another reminder for the Author of this article just what a loser he is. Probably just another weirdo who never managed to land a girlfriend or have a normal relationship with anybody.

In any case you are invading their privacy since they are a couple, and the fact that you would go and talk down to this guy in front of his wife/girlfriend inside his own home - I think you got some real issues and I think it's the Russian who should be calling the Police on you...

When I had temporary Russian tenants next to me and they were banging doors and stuff (they ONLY care about themselves and feel they have paid for the privilege) I used to just go outside and "charge the battery in the Harley" at stupid times. I paid for the privilege too (and been here 5 years) . Back in their home it would simply be "dealt with", probably not too discreetly!

Bad luck I hear this kind of story all the time about the Ivans - It will get worse when the Chinese start to occupy condos - Move - it will drive you mad. I live in a condo and will move if it makes me feel uncomfortable - in future rent do not buy - Whenever I view a potential condo I make it clear no kids, dogs, Russians or Arabs in the place. I say in this in Thai and am always understood and never judged. No doubt I will be on this forum.

There may not be Arabs or Russians when you move in, but people come and go in condos all the time, even Arabs and Russians.

Noisy, rude Russian just moved in above. What to do?

Do the exact same thing you'd do if a 'noisy, rude' America, or Thai, or Chinese, or African, or Afgani, or Indian, or Pakistani, or Israeli, or German moved in above. It's not like I've never had this same problem living in an apartment in the West. The offending occupant's nation of birth has about zero to do with anything. Rude and impolite transcends international borders.

You're welcome. Glad I could assist! thumbsup.gif

(I wonder if there is a Russian forum somewhere where some guy is complaining, "Cranky, overly-critical Yank living in apartment below"?) Hummm. ermm.gif

It could have been worse, ie. a loud mouthed Yorkshireman.

Well I was in a similar situation I had to complain against French and British tennants, I don't want to talk about the nature of their behaviour - but they were outright breaking the condominium rules and as you all well know when it comes to Farangs the management is usually always slow to react - they just don't want to get involved - in a way that can serve as an encouragement for some foreigners to never change their behaviour even when it's completely wrong. So I approached them myself - but I wasn't stupid enough to try to humiliate them in front of their wives or girlfriends - that's ultimate stupidity and it's just really weird - just letting the author of this article know. Of course I specifically chose a moment when these "gentlemen" were all by themselves and I spoke to them in Public area - what I faced in the end was an extremely violent reaction with lots of insults and swearing, lol. Unforunately a lot of people who come here from western countries are often completely out of whack - and usually it gets worse the more time they spend in Thailand... It's almost pointless to try to talk any sense to them at all... they all have delusions of grandeur and entitlement issues - sounds a lot like the Author of this article also.

Since I wasn't born yesterday - the real problem for the author is that he feels a complete loser compared to this Russian because the Russian lives with a pretty white girl from his own group of people - normal healthy relationship, lots of sex and so on, so he's basically just a normal healthy man... So every step this Russian makes is another reminder for the Author of this article just what a loser he is. Probably just another weirdo who never managed to land a girlfriend or have a normal relationship with anybody.

In any case you are invading their privacy since they are a couple, and the fact that you would go and talk down to this guy in front of his wife/girlfriend inside his own home - I think you got some real issues and I think it's the Russian who should be calling the Police on you...

What treatment did you get when to spoke to them in public area and when they were on their own.

Its face it folks - we can just leave the nationality out and complain about condo living. If you had said there was a nice couple above you for 3 years then this happened, well that is one thing. But you said it was unoccupied and quiet.

How about do like I did - buy a house on the beach in your wife's name with a 30 year mortgage in your name and if anyone is stomping on the floor or ceiling you can shoot them!.

Look like a problem with the condo construction , if he is only young what type of visa is he on living in BKK ? You could always give immigration a call but he will know it was you as you tipped your hand early in the piece. Is it a tiled floor ? Carpet or a rug with an underlining would help cut down the noise. Maybe he is boom booming his Rusian GF on the floor hence the noise. Good luck.

The are only a few "right" mature things you can do and many, many despicable things that would cost him money and make him pack up and move... but, he's on to you now so it could come to blows.

I feel your pain...I have lived your story already...waking up at all hours of the night with heavy footsteps and chair sliding across the floor...

Resolved problem by moving to the top floor of the condo...better views and no pesty stomping across the floors at night...

Good Luck!

I feel your pain...I have lived your story already...waking up at all hours of the night with heavy footsteps and chair sliding across the floor...

Resolved problem by moving to the top floor of the condo...better views and no pesty stomping across the floors at night...

Good Luck!

knock on the door, when he opens it put a 45 in his eye. problem solved.

discretion is the better part of valor..or something like that ....you are stuffed, unless you want to hear the sound of crutches for the next 3 months and then hes' coming to get you....

move on ...next pad will leave this one for dead, perhaps then you could drop back with a few mates for a quiet drink ?

edit>typo

Edited by jhonnie

I lived in an apartment where you could hear the neighbours and the people below talking

I guarantee the people below could hear me walking about.

It's all about the construction and non insulation properties.

Nothing you can do but move.

You keep asking the same questions despite the advice of a few.

Your beginning to come across as a bit of a 'Frank Spencer'.

Good Luck!

knock on the door, when he opens it put a 45 in his eye. problem solved.

Life is not a Clint Eastwood movie.

What treatment did you get when to spoke to them in public area and when they were on their own.

It was nothing good, it's best to forget about it. They berated me in every way imaginable( I didn't return the favour) and I could see by their jumpiness, quickly changing loud tone, body language that they were getting ready to attack me - they lost control of their emotions and I was outnumbered - they weren't small guys, French and British in their early to mid 40s in their football shirts and with tattoos. I tried to calm them down and continue to talk about the issue but then I just wisely and quickly withdrew. I couldn't say a word really, the conversation didn't go as I planned at all. The next day they went and complained to the management that I attacked them or whatever... In the end it's their word against mine :) And if police did get involved, if you don't have a video - there's nothing you can prove - all they see is a bunch of Farangs, they are not familiar with any countries outside of Thailand to be able to tell or even care who's the good guy and who's the bad guy, even when you think that's it's glaringly obvious.

The thing is I did complain about this gang to the management at least twice before and they were in complete agreement with me, they promised to act and in fact probably did speak to these guys, but in the end that didn't change their behaviour, so I thought I could reason with them myself - but it was a mistake...

Nobody is saying that Russians are angels, but you could easily meet a foreigner from US/Britain/France or whatever with tattoos and probably even former prison sentences or who knows what else and completely out of touch with reality, who will be 10 to 100 times worse - go and deal with that - I meet these people every day in Bangkok. Of course this anti-Russian drivel by the Author is a bunch of nonsense...trying to take advantage of the typical anti-Russian presumed guilt, typical of western low-life trash who come to this country...

I used to work for the government in Europe and US - I used to be a bureaucrat, so there's nothing wrong with my judgement when I look at somebody - I've heard every story, if I see a problem - it's because there is one. But try to prove that it this country when you all these crafty foreigners who think they can get away with anything... a lot of hustlers or who knows what else who believe they can scheme their way through anything by pretending to be the proper western gentlemen because nobody knows any better around here, though it's usually a piece of trash that you are dealing with, lol... Good luck with that, and it's usually not the Russians :)

You have two choices, maybe three. First and least risk to you is to move, assuming you are a renter and not the owner. Next, you can go see the police and be sure you are carrying a brown envelope with the appropriate amount in order to get someone to assist you with your situation. Last, try to make friends with the Russian, but it will be difficult. I moved twice in the last five years because of noise from neighbors. One of them happened to be a Russian couple who went out nights and returned home in the wee hours. The wife would "heel walk" around their condo while loudly berating her drunk husband. Damned near every night. The condo was great with a beautiful sea view, but the noise was more than I could take. Even with ear plugs. Most condos built in the last ten years have paper thin walls and ceilings and no effort was made to soundproof or insulate any of it except in the very high end developments. In retrospect, it was easier to move than to expect civility from some of Thailand's "quality tourists" and expats or to find any help from condo managers or police. Thailand is a noisy country and we need to get used to it unless we have enough money to insulate ourselves from the auditory assault. While the Russians were trying to destroy their floor tramping around on the tiles in the middle of the night, my GF slept through the whole thing. Her advice ? Jai yen yen, mai bpen rai.

​Noisy & aggressive Russian just moved in above my room. What to do?

How would you handle this problem?

I rent a pleasant condo in Bangkok suburbs. Been here a year. No desire to move again. Room above vacant for the past year. Beginning of this month, new tenant moved in up there. Three days now, loud, pounding footsteps back and forth overhead. Very loud, as if jumping up and down or doing aerobics, but I'm sure is just ordinary walking with heavy footsteps.

This evening I went up, knocked on the door, introduced myself as neighbor below. Russian man, age about 28, tall, heavy build. Speaks a bit of English. Very aggressive attitude from the beginning. I wont go into details, you can imagine. He kept saying, If you want to go to Police, go! I can live here! Zero attitude of conciliation. And he has Russian girlfriend/wife with him, so acting extra manly in front of her.

Next, I went down to lobby and security guard came back with me a second time. Again, aggressive attitude. I live here! What you want from me? Walk all time on toes? Russian doesnt speak any Thai. Security guard doesnt speak any any Russian.

Friends whove encountered Russian problems tell me only way to handle them is to hit em hard and fast. The only thing they understand is overwhelming power, immediately applied.

• Is that correct?
  • If correct, what is the best way to do it?
My personal inclination is the Thai approach: soft-soft, one step at a time. But that won't work with this Russian. Of course I will complain to Ne-te condo management, but, being Thai, they certainly will avoid all conflict. So I dont expect any help from there.

I dont know any policemen, but if I did, Id invite 3-4 of them to visit some evening after their shift, and we could go up for another chat with the Russian. But if he continues with the pounding footsteps, what then? Its not a crime. And, really, I dont want to get involved with the police in any way.

I'm willing to put some money into a solution, if that's what it takes. I certainly won't depend on any sense of "fair play" from the Russian.

I will be grateful for any practical suggestions of how to handle this Russian problem.

​Noisy & aggressive Russian just moved in above my room. What to do?

How would you handle this problem?

I rent a pleasant condo in Bangkok suburbs. Been here a year. No desire to move again. Room above vacant for the past year. Beginning of this month, new tenant moved in up there. Three days now, loud, pounding footsteps back and forth overhead. Very loud, as if jumping up and down or doing aerobics, but I'm sure is just ordinary walking with heavy footsteps.

This evening I went up, knocked on the door, introduced myself as neighbor below. Russian man, age about 28, tall, heavy build. Speaks a bit of English. Very aggressive attitude from the beginning. I wont go into details, you can imagine. He kept saying, If you want to go to Police, go! I can live here! Zero attitude of conciliation. And he has Russian girlfriend/wife with him, so acting extra manly in front of her.

Next, I went down to lobby and security guard came back with me a second time. Again, aggressive attitude. I live here! What you want from me? Walk all time on toes? Russian doesnt speak any Thai. Security guard doesnt speak any any Russian.

Friends whove encountered Russian problems tell me only way to handle them is to hit em hard and fast. The only thing they understand is overwhelming power, immediately applied.

• Is that correct?
  • If correct, what is the best way to do it?
My personal inclination is the Thai approach: soft-soft, one step at a time. But that won't work with this Russian. Of course I will complain to Ne-te condo management, but, being Thai, they certainly will avoid all conflict. So I dont expect any help from there.

I dont know any policemen, but if I did, Id invite 3-4 of them to visit some evening after their shift, and we could go up for another chat with the Russian. But if he continues with the pounding footsteps, what then? Its not a crime. And, really, I dont want to get involved with the police in any way.

I'm willing to put some money into a solution, if that's what it takes. I certainly won't depend on any sense of "fair play" from the Russian.

I will be grateful for any practical suggestions of how to handle this Russian problem.

Bad luck I hear this kind of story all the time about the Ivans - It will get worse when the Chinese start to occupy condos - Move - it will drive you mad. I live in a condo and will move if it makes me feel uncomfortable - in future rent do not buy - Whenever I view a potential condo I make it clear no kids, dogs, Russians or Arabs in the place. I say in this in Thai and am always understood and never judged. No doubt I will be on this forum.

I judge you to be an intelligent pragmatist.

...NeverSure, let's turn that around. He's already got an enemy. I'm posting here seeking ideas for tactics. Tactics suitable for Thailand.

Moderators, OP is deliberately and knowingly soliciting an extralegal solution to his self-created problem. His posts should be removed and the thread locked, IMHO.