Don't miss solar eclipse tomorrow morning

webfact

Don't miss solar eclipse tomorrow morning

12795382_950830981633482_407789069231839

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will be among several countries in Southeast Asia and the Pacific region to be able to watch the solar eclipse that will start from 06.38 am to 08.32 am (in Bangkok) or an eclipse duration of 1 hour 53 minutes tomorrow.

But the solar eclipse will be visible only partially, over 50% in Bangkok, unlike in some cities of Indonesia, namely Palembang, Palu, Palangkaraya, and Ternate where total solar eclipse will take place and visible. Here the Sun will be completely hidden by the shadow of the Moon and the longest duration of totality will be 4 minutes and 9 seconds.

12745943_946513862065194_393547887536496

Partial solar eclipse will also be seen from Australia, India, China, South Korea, and Japan.

But in North America, South America, Europe, Africa and some northern and western countries of Asia, the eclipse won’t be visible.

A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between Earth and the Sun, thereby totally or partially obscuring the image of the Sun for a viewer on Earth.

The eclipse tomorrow will only be visible across an area of Pacific Ocean, beginning in Indonesia, and ending in the northern Pacific Ocean.

If viewed from east of the international date line – for instance from Hawaii – the eclipse will take place on March 8. The first people will start to see a partial eclipse at 23.19 GMT.

If viewed from west of the international date line – in parts of Pacific including Indonesia, Malaysia, and large parts of South-East Asia and Australia – it will take place on March 9. The last people will see it at 04.34 GMT, according to The Mirror.

The eclipse will be total in Indonesia and the Central Pacific, starting at sunrise over Sumatra and ending at sunset north of Hawaii.

Thailand, Myanmar and Cambodia will see about 50% partial eclipsed Sun. Australia, China, Japan, and Alaska will witness less than 50% partial eclipse.

Solar eclipse happen on average 2.4 times a year.

12801385_947419531974627_233654688657774

Thailand witnessed the last total eclipse on 24 October 1995 which lasted two minutes in several provinces, notably in Nakhon Sawan province.

The next total solar eclipse will be visible again in Thailand on 11 April 2070 or the next 54 years with the Moon shadow passing Prachuab Khiri Khan to the Northeast.

Here are some advice for safe watching of the dollar eclipse.

According to timeanddate.com, Never look directly at the Sun without proper eye protection as this will seriously hurt your eyes and even go blind.

Don’t look through the telescope’s eyepiece or side-mounted finder scope while projecting the Sun’s image to a screen.

Don’t use colour film, don’t use medical X-ray fim with images on them, don’t use smoked sunglasses, and don’t use ,CDs, IR computer floppy disks.

The only way to view the eclipse safely is to either project or filter the Sun’s rays.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/154028

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-08

Lots of local fools are going to flock to temples or Brahmin shrines and pray tomorrow, because whatever science says they are still convinced that a demon called Rahu is devouring the sun and that Rahu's appetite will spell doom for Thailand.

The face of the Moon on that video doesn't look familiar. I guess NASA, correctly, put the 'dark side' of the Moon to the animation.

I'll put alarm on and hopefully will be able to take some photos of the eclipse, when the Sun is close by to the horizon.

I once flew from Sydney to Cairns to watch a total eclipse, something that was on my bucket list - still on my bucket list as the eclipse was obscured by cloud.

Same luck to me.

11 August 1999, total eclipse over central Europe.

Quite cloudy in Germany.

Just dark and some glimpse through the moving clouds wink.png

At least I had no travel cost.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Lots of local fools are going to flock to temples or Brahmin shrines and pray tomorrow, because whatever science says they are still convinced that a demon called Rahu is devouring the sun and that Rahu's appetite will spell doom for Thailand.

How little you know about Thailand and its people.

What a stupid thing to say.

But since you are know for being a troll on Thai Visa; I forgive you.

I observed a near total eclipse a few years back when at Koh Phayam. The resort owner mentioned that it would occur that day. I asked him if he happened to have any electric arc welding masks and as it happens he did have one. So when the eclipse happened, a few of us guests and staff all took turns looking at it through the welders mask. Lots of oohs and aahs. That is the safest way to observe an eclipse: a electric arc welding mask or hood.

I once flew from Sydney to Cairns to watch a total eclipse, something that was on my bucket list - still on my bucket list as the eclipse was obscured by cloud.

Been cloudy in BKK for weeks, I doubt tomorrow will be clear either.

The eclipse is caused by Sun plunging into Uranus, right?

Edited by DrTuner

You haven't seen them in the villages, banging pots and pans and letting off fireworks, have you? The eclipse wasn't all too obvious today so that didn't happen today. It did last time.

You haven't seen them in the villages, banging pots and pans and letting off fireworks, have you? The eclipse wasn't all too obvious today so that didn't happen today. It did last time.

yup. plenty of superstitious fools in Thailand. Everyone knows that.

it is an amazing experience - I watched the last one in the UK in Dartmoor and thought the day was cloudy it was unearthly as a stillness and quietness took over the land and the birds fell silent.

I think that happens only during the full or almost full eclipse. Unfortunately we'll not get that much of shadow tomorrow. Hopefully there will be something interesting to see.

Here is a video clip from Denmark?, where the solar eclipse fooled the chicken, which went back to sleep during the eclipse.

Here's an easy way to view the solar eclipse. Take a magnifying glass, face away from the sun, and watch the sun’s light eclipse on the surface of a white card.

Simple, remember never look at the sun directly or you will go blind.

post-145516-14574394419437_thumb.jpg

Edited by tukkytuktuk

I was in Tahiti in 2010 for the solar eclipse. Yes it was interesting but what was even more

interesting was the number of tourists who came to see it. We just happened to be there

on a sailing trip. Thousands flew in from around the world. To each his own. coffee1.gif

I was in Tahiti in 2010 for the solar eclipse. Yes it was interesting but what was even more

interesting was the number of tourists who came to see it. We just happened to be there

on a sailing trip. Thousands flew in from around the world. To each his own. coffee1.gif

Like dbrenn explained, it can be in an item in bucket list. Rare enough, that not all of us will ever experience total experience. It's also one of those things that words nor videos can't really describe the feeling, what is being there at the time. Social event, as most of the people who travel to the site, are interested about the same thing. Not to mention, who wouldn't like to visit Tahiti? :)

I'd like to experience the total eclipse someday as well. For me the main reason is to see with my own eyes, the Sun's active corona. It's just one of those things, to be able to see a bit further.

Funny, none of the Thais I know think that. They might go to the temple, but just because it's a fun social occasion. If you know Thai people who are telling you that I suspect they're pulling your leg and laughing at how dumb crazy farangs are.

Good points but the fact that he is mocking Hindu mythology in a mainly Buddhist country suggests that he either isn't very intelligent/educated or possibly lives in India and posted on the wrong forumclap2.gif

Good points but the fact that he is mocking Hindu mythology in a mainly Buddhist country suggests that he either isn't very intelligent/educated or possibly lives in India and posted on the wrong forum:clap2:

"Rahu is mentioned explicitly in a pair of scriptures from the Samyutta Nikaya of the Pali Canon. In the Candima Sutta and the Suriya Sutta, Rahu attacks Surya, the Sun deity and Chandra, the Moon deity before being compelled to release them by their recitation of a brief stanza conveying their reverence for the Buddha. The Buddha responds by enjoining Rahu to release them, which Rahu does rather than have his "head split into seven pieces"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahu#Buddhism

"Phra Rahu (พระราหู), as he is called in Thailand, is worshipped in Wat Traimit in Bangkok's Chinatown and also in Wat Yannawa, amongst other wats."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahu#Worship

"Rahu attacks Surya, the Sun deity and Chandra, the Moon deity before being compelled to release them by their recitation of a brief stanza conveying their reverence for the Buddha. The Buddha responds by enjoining Rahu to release them, which Rahu does rather than have his "head split into seven pieces"

That never happened. Believe me.

I hope that the4 sun chasers enjoy their Solar eclipse in Indonesia this year. A nice hot part of the

world to enjoy it from. In 2017 there will be another Solar eclipse across the USA. Come and be a tourist

as the USA could sure use the extra dollars that this event will bring in. Personally I like a Lunar eclipse better as

it lasts longer, and you can look at the moon during the eclipse and not wreck your vision.

Good luck to all and clear skies!

Geezer