What is the "Coolest" Bike Made in Thailand?

On 6/5/2018 at 12:33 PM, johng said:

How about the GPX  legend gentleman 200 ?   about 70,000 baht

1717103043_P_20180603_185842(Large).jpg.449393ef318b5a63039723e7d819c94f.jpg1183035552_P_20180603_190023(Large).jpg.01fa54cd33abe1ff628229b9cd25a5a0.jpg

Not 'orrible to look at, but...

200 or 230cc, 16 bhp and USD forks AND double discs with au fait radial 4 pot calipers. Jesus.

And what the HELL is that circular thing in silver below the rear of the tank on either side?

Some designer has been watching too many hipster YouTube videos and been let loose in the parts bin...

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, wcaldwell said:

I hear HD will be making bikes here soon... ?

Doesn't mean they will be selling directly as Triumph has been making big bikes here yet you still have to pay a big import tax on one.

Doesn't mean they will be selling directly as Triumph has been making big bikes here yet you still have to pay a big import tax on one.

No you don’t. That stopped about 2 years ago..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DILLIGAD said:

No you don’t. That stopped about 2 years ago..

Well tell me why a Bonneville T120 is 567,000 baht (about $17,700 US) and the price for the same bike in the USA is $11,800 (377,000 baht).

Well tell me why a Bonneville T120 is 567,000 baht (about $17,700 US) and the price for the same bike in the USA is $11,800 (377,000 baht).

I remember about 1/2 a century ago when cars/clothes/food/+++ were half price in USA, when compared to UK. I don’t know the answer to your question but believe the price (T120) here is very similar to that of UK

I remember about 1/2 a century ago when cars/clothes/food/+++ were half price in USA, when compared to UK. I don’t know the answer to your question but believe the price (T120) here is very similar to that of UK

10 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

5 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

The T120 is 10,300 pounds in the UK which equates to about 425,000 baht. Still over a 100,000 baht cheaper than here in Thailand. Still paying some kind of import tax on Triumphs made in Thailand.

Yep I don't know why the cash price of the 650 Kawasaki I just bought is approximately the same price as Australia and a 1200 Triumph Speedmaster here is 632,000 Baht, compared to 21K in Australia which is about 500,000 baht ATM.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:15 AM, DILLIGAD said:

I remember about 1/2 a century ago when cars/clothes/food/+++ were half price in USA, when compared to UK.

I think as my mother discovered on a holiday to Canada that the prices were very similar numerically but the local currency was worth less.   

On 6/22/2018 at 9:59 PM, Rdrokit said:

Almost all big bikes (Yamakawaondas) are more expensive here than back in the US.  Honestly, I can't pay what they want for them here .. I'd rather putt around on a 125 scooter.  Much more value.  

Honda at least has pretty reasonable prices and some bikes are cheaper than in the West. US MSRP prices are always misleading because they are missing taxes and "destination charges". If you can't afford the bike here then you also can't afford it in the US.

Of course a 125cc scooter will always have more value, they are extremely cheap here. Unless you also count fun into the value equation.

Litre bikes with their deep burble always gets me. I'm sure a nice 650 twin is best in Bkk traffic, but not good enough to upgrade the price from a 150...

The idea that the Litre bikes can sweetly spin up to insane speeds in the blink of an eye just gets me horny.

Isn't Kawasaki's H2 being made here? They had one with chrome-look body in a Megabangna shop window for 1,500,000 and I can't imagine anything more insanely cool than opening that throttle.

19 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Isn't Kawasaki's H2 being made here?

Highly doubt that. All the top japanese bikes are imports from Japan. They probably sell less than a dozen H2 in Thailand, not worth starting production here and there is 0% import duty. Plus the manufacturers want to make sure their flagship bikes get worked on by their best staff since it's a matter of reputation, not profit.

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

Litre bikes with their deep burble always gets me. I'm sure a nice 650 twin is best in Bkk traffic, but not good enough to upgrade the price from a 150...

The idea that the Litre bikes can sweetly spin up to insane speeds in the blink of an eye just gets me horny.

Isn't Kawasaki's H2 being made here? They had one with chrome-look body in a Megabangna shop window for 1,500,000 and I can't imagine anything more insanely cool than opening that throttle.

I think a 650 could be a handful in Bkk or just about any city I know the Vulcan S is a bit of a pain around Ubon -Warin .If you look at you Tube there's quite a few on the Vulcan  and they are quick.What are you riding at the moment ? My mate in Udon got rid of a Hayabusa a while back now.

28 minutes ago, findlay13 said:

I think a 650 could be a handful in Bkk or just about any city I know the Vulcan S is a bit of a pain around Ubon -Warin .If you look at you Tube there's quite a few on the Vulcan  and they are quick.What are you riding at the moment ? My mate in Udon got rid of a Hayabusa a while back now.

As a happy owner of a Vulcan S, I completely refute your claim that it is a bit of a pain, it is a joy to ride,

I got my first bike in the UK over 40 years ago, bikes I've had include Yamaha XJ750, XS750 and Suzuki GT750, none of which were a pain then and there nor would be so here and now.

I am very happy with my Vulcan S  although I do find it a bit of a pain in heavy traffic and as for your refuting my claim please  tell someone who may care I certainly don't.Get off your high horse and don't be so obnoxious  .I bought my first bike more than 50 years ago [a BSA bantam] and I've had many bikes too.As well as a Harley Yamaha and Honda previously, I own two  ATM my 4th Triumph and first Kawasaki  with probably another Triumph to be purchased when I return home .So what does this prove? Is this a urinating contest?I have watched this forum for years and refrained for making posts or reply 

because of pompous comments  such as yours.

20 hours ago, findlay13 said:

I am very happy with my Vulcan S  although I do find it a bit of a pain in heavy traffic and as for your refuting my claim please  tell someone who may care I certainly don't.Get off your high horse and don't be so obnoxious  .I bought my first bike more than 50 years ago [a BSA bantam] and I've had many bikes too.As well as a Harley Yamaha and Honda previously, I own two  ATM my 4th Triumph and first Kawasaki  with probably another Triumph to be purchased when I return home .So what does this prove? Is this a urinating contest?I have watched this forum for years and refrained for making posts or reply 

because of pompous comments  such as yours.

Wow, that escalated quickly, no offence was intended and having re-read my post I can't see quite what got you so worked up. I thought exchanging opinions was what this type of forum is about.

5 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Wow, that escalated quickly, no offence was intended and having re-read my post I can't see quite what got you so worked up. I thought exchanging opinions was what this type of forum is about.

I can see how saying "I completely refute your claim ...." could be seen as an unnecessarily aggressive response, then listing bikes to demonstrate your experience could be taken as trying to demean the other poster.

Yes it's a discussion forum, but if you we're having a chat in a bikers bar, and someone mentioned a 650 cruiser could be tough in traffic, and you replied with "I completely refute your claim", you'd end up in the 'Billy no mates' corner with the old duffer who talks about the unusual tyre wear on his Panther sloper outfit.

And let's be honest, a 650 long wheelbase cruiser in Bangkok traffic is not everyones idea of heaven, so respecting another posters personal opinion is just being polite, even of you went on to say that your experience differs.

8 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

I can see how saying "I completely refute your claim ...." could be seen as an unnecessarily aggressive response, then listing bikes to demonstrate your experience could be taken as trying to demean the other poster.

Yes it's a discussion forum, but if you we're having a chat in a bikers bar, and someone mentioned a 650 cruiser could be tough in traffic, and you replied with "I completely refute your claim", you'd end up in the 'Billy no mates' corner with the old duffer who talks about the unusual tyre wear on his Panther sloper outfit.

And let's be honest, a 650 long wheelbase cruiser in Bangkok traffic is not everyones idea of heaven, so respecting another posters personal opinion is just being polite, even of you went on to say that your experience differs.

Yes exactly Sir.Thank you .

Instead of " I don't find the same on my 650 Vulcan " or what ever "I completely refute your claim" is pompous IMO and the whole post smacks of attempting to talk down to me [not a good idea] and. "you know nothing.Look at the bikes I've had" not a discussion .

On 7/19/2017 at 10:25 PM, Familyonthemove said:

Ah, ironic.  Kwasaki meant the new Ninja H2, but Ben thought about the original H2 two stroke 750 triple from the 1970's.  Both very cool bikes, and the original H2 gets extra cool points for being damn scary to ride.  (not that I'm old enough to remember......  ahem!)

But neither made here I'm sad to say.

I had one of them 750 triple H2's in the early '80's. Scary doesn't begin to describe that unstable death ride!!

3 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I had one of them 750 triple H2's in the early '80's. Scary doesn't begin to describe that unstable death ride!!

A mate had one of the original 500s [with a drum brake if I remember correctly] in 1970-71.He moved up from a BSA 441 single! He was insane and could ride but he came to grief and busted his arm on it.

1 minute ago, findlay13 said:

A mate had one of the original 500s [with a drum brake if I remember correctly] in 1970-71.He moved up from a BSA 441 single! He was insane and could ride but he came to grief and busted his arm on it.

I would have kept the Beezer!

19 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I would have kept the Beezer!

Yep,I'd like one now.[and someone with a strong leg to start it for me ].Back in those days  Brit.bike manufacture was dying,the bikes were unreliable. People started buying the jap bikes 650 Yamaha and a bit later the Honda 4 were all the rage.

10 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

Well as I said previously I didn't mean to cause offence, however imy earlier post seems to have come across in a different way to that which I intended, so appologies for that to findlay13.

Interesting that you mention having a chat in a bikers' bar, that so much easier than typing on a chat page, you can convey and pick up each others tone straight away.

I only listed some of the bikes that I had in my youth to give perspective to my feelings about riding my Vulcan, not to brag about them in some silly way or to denigrate anybody, firstly I'm not like that and secondly how would I know anything about f13's biking history.

BTW, the point about the Vulcan being a pain was not made in relation to Bangkok traffic but in the wilds of Ubon province "I know the Vulcan S is a bit of a pain around Ubon -Warin." That was later qualified by "I am very happy with my Vulcan S  although I do find it a bit of a pain in heavy traffic".

Anyway, I don't want to drag this great thread down to a petty squable so once again I appologise for any offence that my earlier post unintentionally caused.

Just to mention Ubon - Warin are almost constantly jammed  with Traffic these days. Two blokes I know here have 650 Hondas and they both bought 150cc bikes for getting around and through town.The ring road is a jam packed race track .

I was in Khon Kaen for quite a few years and I never imagined I'd  see worse driving anywhere. I was wrong.This is worse.

I am sorry I qualified my previous answer with "bit of a pain".It  IS a pain, but less of a pain than if I drive my car and I Am very happy with the Vulcan S best bang for the buck on the market in my opinion, especially for me needing forward controls to accommodate my wrecked knee

This will be the last I say on the matter.

Archived