A 40-degree summer of suffering coming after Songkran

webfact

A 40-Degree Summer of Suffering Coming After Songkran
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14574281791457428207l.jpg
‘Exols’ shelter from the stifling heat Tuesday while waiting for their boy band idols to hold court at a Bangkok shopping mall.

BANGKOK — Tuesday was definitely a hot one. Now, instead of 33C, imagine the mercury shooting up to 40C.

While in a month the nation will prepare to get weird and wet during the annual Songkran Festival, the Thai Meteorological Department has warned the summer heat may break into the frying forties.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1457428179&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-09

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see how Thailand will fare with superhot temps and a shortage of water. This summer is going to be interesting. Especially reading the lame excuses as to why there was no water after everyone threw it at each other for so many days during Songkran. Of course! The farmers will be blamed.

Reaction to the issue will be an on going for many places in the world ,

Thailand has been gathering pace on solutions, They just have not been

quick enough, now if they the Government had a total commitment,

then maybe foregoing the new submarine and using that money to buy a

few desalination plants, that could elevate their standing

and hydrate the people.

Let's see how Thailand will fare with superhot temps and a shortage of water. This summer is going to be interesting. Especially reading the lame excuses as to why there was no water after everyone threw it at each other for so many days during Songkran. Of course! The farmers will be blamed.

Farmers or foreigners will be blamed?

Not so strange as farming uses 70% of the water and household and industry the other 30%. Reported is that households use around 10-15% of the water and songkran will double that. Its still far of the 70% that farmers used on the Songkran days.

Everyone knows that Songkran gives the economy a huge boost and will earn much more on the water those days as farming. For those that don't believe it check Songkran spending. Also its a huge morale boost, only those grumpy old songkran haters use this to ban Songkran.

I got my figures from news articles on Thavisa so no guesswork here. Both the doubling of water use and how much farming uses was reported before. So instead of blowing hot air like some members who live in the past do i rely on facts.

Yes in the past Songkran was different but no matter how much old dinosaurs want it we live in the present and Songkran has changed to the water throwing weather you like it or not. I can say for a fact that in my village on the suburbs of BKK Songrkan is loved and played with a lot of water trowing. So Thais changed Songkran not foreigners.

Not sure about the rest of the country, but we see temperatures of 40+ up here every year. Nothing new about that.

If however they are talking about average ambient temperatures (constant temperature attaining 40 over a 24 hour period or longer) then yes, that is going to be hot..................wink.png

Just to backup my post a bit because people might not believe it

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/rice-fields-in-ayutthaya-affected-by-water-shortage/130283/

Here you can see some numbers to see its true what I am saying about 70% for farmers and if its this way in Ayutthaya it will be similar all over the country big cities excluded.

Now my claim about the economic value of Songkran spending.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/104031 22.8 billion in Bangkok alone so its a huge economic boost and well worth the water compared to farming.

I hope we now put the myth of Songkran being a waste of water both economically and water wise to rest and let the GOM's move on with there strange arguments.

I know one thing going to get my aircon's serviced soon well before the true heat sets in.

overload on the electric net and no power from dams. Must get nasty.

It might be wise for all of Thailand to put aircos on low.

You hear bankers !!!!

Not to mention the cinema's, I need to take an extra T-shirt with me its often so cold there.

Im sure the Government are working hard to solve what could be a major crisis, I noticed Thailand has similar weather now to Australia its no longer a wet humid heat its a dry oven like heat , maybe its time to put in some trees.

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/rice-fields-in-ayutthaya-affected-by-water-shortage/130283/

Here you can see some numbers to see its true what I am saying about 70% for farmers and if its this way in Ayutthaya it will be similar all over the country big cities excluded.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/104031 22.8 billion in Bangkok alone so its a huge economic boost and well worth the water compared to farming.

I hope we now put the myth of Songkran being a waste of water both economically and water wise to rest and let the GOM's move on with there strange arguments.

I know one thing going to get my aircon's serviced soon well before the true heat sets in.

Yea you believe anything the spin doctors say! there is a water crisis not time for wasting it by throwing it around. Most Thais I know hate Songkran, or what it's turned into, as it's just a piss-up (mainly) for farangs these days.

I can't believe anyone would decry farmers who really NEED the water but as it's you I should not be surprised that you don't give a **** about farmers or the environment.

A bunch of us were only yesterday agreeing how much cooler its been this year in Phuket as opposed to last.

This season has at least had a few short showers , plus the sea breeze has been regular and welcome.

Yea you believe anything the spin doctors say! there is a water crisis not time for wasting it by throwing it around. Most Thais I know hate Songkran, or what it's turned into, as it's just a piss-up (mainly) for farangs these days.

I can't believe anyone would decry farmers who really NEED the water but as it's you I should not be surprised that you don't give a **** about farmers or the environment.

Unlike you I look at facts and economic value, you obviously don't like facts. The fact is that the water spend during Songkran has far more economic value as that spend on farming (meaning more Baht per liter water of economic value). So from an economics standpoint Songkran is important.

Now fairness standpoint.. farming uses 70%, normal households 10-20% so even doubling that would mean they use less water as farming uses all the time. So they have as much right on the water as the farmers. Now this is an important national holiday that generates loads of money and makes people forget their problems. That it is a water throwing festifal is what Thais made it. You as an foreigner can't complain about it as its Thais that choose it to be this and its their country.

Farmers were told not to plant.. they did anyway.. so why should the rest of the people suffer for the farmers greed ?

While you may be correct on the monitory aspects of Songkran you cannot argue against the fact that in Pattaya where the water throwing goes on for up to 10 days it is a little over kill on celebrations, therefore asking people to conserve water when so much is wasted on water throwing does not make sense in any form of statistics, and by restricting celebrations to 2 or 3 days would save quite a substantial amount of water. It would be false economy if people ended up paying substantially more for water.

Not so strange as farming uses 70% of the water and household and industry the other 30%. Reported is that households use around 10-15% of the water and songkran will double that. Its still far of the 70% that farmers used on the Songkran days.

Everyone knows that Songkran gives the economy a huge boost and will earn much more on the water those days as farming. For those that don't believe it check Songkran spending. Also its a huge morale boost, only those grumpy old songkran haters use this to ban Songkran.

I got my figures from news articles on Thavisa so no guesswork here. Both the doubling of water use and how much farming uses was reported before. So instead of blowing hot air like some members who live in the past do i rely on facts.

Yes in the past Songkran was different but no matter how much old dinosaurs want it we live in the present and Songkran has changed to the water throwing weather you like it or not. I can say for a fact that in my village on the suburbs of BKK Songrkan is loved and played with a lot of water trowing. So Thais changed Songkran not foreigners.

made you happy attacking common sense?

Unlike you I look at facts and economic value, you obviously don't like facts. The fact is that the water spend during Songkran has far more economic value as that spend on farming (meaning more Baht per liter water of economic value). So from an economics standpoint Songkran is important.

Now fairness standpoint.. farming uses 70%, normal households 10-20% so even doubling that would mean they use less water as farming uses all the time. So they have as much right on the water as the farmers. Now this is an important national holiday that generates loads of money and makes people forget their problems. That it is a water throwing festifal is what Thais made it. You as an foreigner can't complain about it as its Thais that choose it to be this and its their country.

Farmers were told not to plant.. they did anyway.. so why should the rest of the people suffer for the farmers greed ?

Most farmers have not replanted as they were told and will have to feed their families with less money for a second year in a row. This even though much of the water used for rice farming is returned to the river (at least in our community) Easy for someone to say not to plant, not so easy for farmers to then to earn money to feed their kids. What the government has failed to do is to place restrictions on water use by city dwellers other than to tell people to refrain from celebrating Song Kran in the traditional manner. They have placed all the onus on the farming community which produces the food consumed by those living in the big city. The pain must be shared in order to survive the coming water crisis .

made you happy attacking common sense?

Commons sense is giving more economical use of water (more baht per liter water earned) priority. That is what songkran is, als common sense is cutting the biggest users out first.. and that is farming. If they stopped the farming there would be plenty of water for households. 70%!!!!!!! farming 10-20% households.. so guess where the biggest saving is to be made.

Remember farmers were told NOT to plant a second crop. So they are at fault not the households.. and they would have to suffer because of farmers greed.. common sense my.....

You obviously don't live in a farming community, it's not greed, it's desperation.

Most farmers have not replanted as they were told and will have to feed their families with less money for a second year in a row. This even though much of the water used for rice farming is returned to the river (at least in our community) Easy for someone to say not to plant, not so easy for farmers to then to earn money to feed their kids. What the government has failed to do is to place restrictions on water use by city dwellers other than to tell people to refrain from celebrating Song Kran in the traditional manner. They have placed all the onus on the farming community which produces the food consumed by those living in the big city. The pain must be shared in order to survive the coming water crisis .

Wrong.. there is enough rice in stock.. so no need for the farmers to grow any now. You are right about the farmers needing to grow for their livelihood.. but the government was going to compensate them for not growing (and should do so).

Why put restrictions on city dwellers as the biggest savings is to be made at the 70%.. even if you ask the city dwellers to cut their use by 50% it will have less results as the farmers having to cut by 15%. Number don't lie. Farmers are the problem not city dwellers.

The fact for me is I'll eat my cucumbers and carrots and you can eat your baht.

It's all about the ongoing slash and burn, no trees planting and ill preparation. Digging water retainments early and using water in the dams wisely would've helped.

Songkran, whatever you think of it, depends on where it's happening. In Chiang Mai the focus is around the moat, that's where the water is pumped up from and flows back into. One of the many reasons I won't indulge. It's enjoyed as much by Thai as -mainly visiting- foreigners.

and hydrate the people.

...but?

and hydrate the people.

Desalination plant in Thailand? Your ignorance of both the drought situation and the geography of Thailand is astounding. ?