PRD opens 'Trust me, We’re Thai' foreign media workshop

webfact

PRD opens 'Trust me, We’re Thai' foreign media workshop

SONGKHLA, 11 March 2016 (NNT) – The Public Relations Department (PRD) has opened the foreign media workshop to boost trust among international organizations and to enhance confidence in investment and business operations of foreigners in Thailand.

The PRD’s Deputy Director-General Charoon Chaisorn today officiated the foreign media network workshop “Trust me, We’re Thai” at Lee Gardens Plaza Hotel, Hat Yai, Songkhla, receiving participants from foreign agencies, international officials, and local officials.

He said that the Thai government intends to assure the confidence of international organizations on the basis of preserving national benefits, and to encourage investment and business operations by foreigners.

To achieve this goal, public relations procedures are required to pass on knowledge and create a good understanding among foreign countries on Thailand’s attempt to solve the ongoing issues, His Majesty the King’s Sufficiency Economy Philosophy, and the Thai livelihood and social cultural aspects. These messages must be represented with clarity through TV media, radio, the internet, social media, public relations events, infographics, the government’s picture journal, and the cooperation of media networks.

One of the attempts from the PRD to publicize government’s accomplishment is the establishment of the 24-hour English-language TV station “NBT World” to reflect “A Vision of Thailand” to ASEAN countries and to the international community.

NBT World broadcasts programs and contents which deliver Thailand’s attempt to solve issues such as the Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated (IUU) Fishing, the aviation standard issue, and other stories including important and accurate news to the world. To increase reach, NBT World also delivers online content through the NBT World smartphone application, on Facebook, and on YouTube.

The “Trust me, We’re Thai” seminar was held by the Pubic Relations Department’s Region 6 Office as part of the Thailand’s image improvement campaign.

PRD Region 6 Director Tatsanee Polchaniko has said this seminar aims to raise confidence among members international community about Thailand on aspects ranging from economy, social, tourism, and security.

The event was broadcasted live on Radio Thailand's Songkhla station.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-11 footer_n.gif

"Patriotism ... is a superstition artificially created and maintained through a network of lies and falsehoods; a superstition that robs man of his self-respect and dignity, and increases his arrogance and conceit."

Emma Goldman

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Please stop it, I'm not so young these days and this sort of official nonsense will do for me.

I however must thank the Thai govt, various agencies etc for ensuring I'm likely to expire with a smile on my face.

Is ' hysterical laughter ' permitted as Cause of Death on a certificate ? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Please stop it, I'm not so young these days and this sort of official nonsense will do for me.

I however must thank the Thai govt, various agencies etc for ensuring I'm likely to expire with a smile on my face.

Is ' hysterical laughter ' permitted as Cause of Death on a certificate ? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Absolutely, but the translation will read "suicide."

"Patriotism ... is a superstition artificially created and maintained through a network of lies and falsehoods; a superstition that robs man of his self-respect and dignity, and increases his arrogance and conceit."

Emma Goldman

..............and "...........the last refuge of a scoundrel"................Samuel Johnson.

"Trust me, we’re Thai" - I don't think that rather silly slogan goes down particularly well in the light of the recent introduction of much, much tougher media visa application rules that will see a huge number of foreign correspondents being kicked out of the country in the coming months as the new rules are difficult to fulfill even for the largest global media agencies.

It is quite clear from this article (and the seminar it describes) what type of foreign journalists are welcome: Those who are willing - and corrupt enough - to cover news "on the basis of preserving national benefits", who help "create a good understanding among foreign countries" [read: only presenting the sunny side], and whose writings "encourage investment and business operations [in Thailand] by foreigners".

Not needed (nor wanted) are those who follow the ethical standards of their profession and report truthfully, balanced but also critically on issues that may not always be conducive to "preserving national benefits".

As a foreign correspondent acquaintance of mine remarked, whose media visa renewal was recently rejected for the flimsiest of reasons after he had covered the country for his global agency for the past 15 years: "The new rules are exactly what you'd expect coming from a ...." (and here he used the dreaded d-word for a form of government; and no, it wasn't "democracy").

How are professional journalists supposed to believe in a slogan like "Trust me, we're Thai" under these circumstances? More importantly, will Thailand shoot herself in the foot by systematically culling the foreign media presence in the country?

One could imagine that this knee-jerk move is going to produce quite a few disgruntled correspondents who after having been kicked out and are forced to move to neighboring countries might in the future report much less benevolently on Thailand than they have in the past. They finally also can freely use words or phrases or touch topics they have refrained from previously for fear of prosecution (or out of courtesy to their host country).

Edited by Misterwhisper

A good exercise for this PR department would be to set up focus groups in Laos, Burma, Cambodia, and any other ASEAN neighbours. And run this slogan past them with Thai officials out of sight behind one way glass.

Oh, the things they would hear. gigglem.gif

'Trust me, we are Thai'

whoa, slow down, slooowly...You can not just come out with a bomb like that, trust (like respect) is earned. You need to ease people into this new sentiment to be believable. Try this:

'Trust Singapore, it's not far from Thailand'... and then nurture it and let it evolve from there. You always want everything right now...

WHen it is ok to use the term,

"trust me, We're THai."

• Moments before signing a document the police gave you to sign in thai and you cant read it.
  • Right after a lady boy tells you, hes a girl.
  • Right after you sign a document with the banks and lawyer regarding your business investment in Phuket.
  • After someone asks "is there MSG in this?"
  • A girl you just met at an after party night club, at 3 am, tells you shes a normal/nice girl.
  • Right after renting a jet ski, you ask the jet ski operator if your good to go.
  • Right before someone ask if it is against the law.

... i can do this all day guys.

have any to add?