Are unlicensed teachers the key to solving Thailand's teacher shortage?

webfact

Are unlicensed teachers the key to solving Thailand's teacher shortage?
STAFF WRITER

unlicensed-teachers-thailand.jpg
Featured image is via Leaves From The Vine

BANGKOK: -- While the image of the gallivanting backpacker arriving in Bangkok to teach two terms of TEFL-style English is one of the most well-known tropes of Thailand, the Kingdom’s education system is actually suffering from a lack of teachers – qualified ones, at any rate.

Thanks to comparatively low wages, and a tendency for some government schools to only pay foreign teachers for part of the year worked, many qualified teachers are heading elsewhere in the region for better opportunities.

Teachers in the STEM subjects – science, technology, engineering and – are particularly thin on the ground.

The Education Ministry have resolved to tackle this by the unusual step of recruiting unlicensed teachers to fill the gap in STEM subjects in government-run schools, reports the Bangkok Post. This is in response to the PM’s ‘Preparing the 21st Century Workforce” initiative.

These teachers would still be degree-holders in a STEM subject, yet would not possess the usually-requisite teaching licence. Chaiyot Imsuwan, spokesman for the Education Ministry, says that the Ministry is still collecting data on the number of STEM teachers at the moment, and the number of unlicensed teachers that are needed to fill the gap.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/are-unlicensed-teachers-the-key-to-solving-thailands-teacher-shortage/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-03-11

The majority of Thai people have no use for the English language.

Those that wish to learn English should pay for private lessons and save the government money by not employing sub standard teachers.

This isn't news. A degree has always been required....or are they intending to 'let up' on the provisional licencing requirements for STEM teachers? Either way, there is a severe shortage of such teachers, even in schools paying 50K+ a month. And knowing a subject doesn't mean one can teach it, in a second language environment at that! Qualified teachers will come but the salaries and conditions, in most schools, are just not conductive to attracting and keeping them .

This has the ring of a quick-fix solution for something that has already been destroyed and needs replacing.

And here we go again, because someone has a degree in the subject does not mean that he/she can relay that information to somebody else in such a way that it is retained. That is not meant to put anyone down, it is a fact. Teaching is not an easy job, i don't envy anyone that does it, and respect those that do it properly.

I know several people who could tell me the cubic capacity of a jam jar, but only a few of those who know how to remove the lid.

Just sayin'..........................wink.png

I do not have a degree but I can quite easily teach a class with Thai students. I have met many people with degrees who come to Thailand to teach, they either get complete stage fright / clueless or just can not handle it.I know of one guy who had everything the Krusapa wanted in a teacher, so far I have know of said person bailing out without finishing the complete contract. So just because someone has all the bells and whistles does not mean they can actually survive in an environment/culture that is different.

"Teachers in the STEM subjects – science, technology, engineering and – are particularly thin on the ground."

Am I the only one who saw the oops here? This staff writer must be a quality graduate of the fine Thai educational system.

if people want to teach then let them teach.

You want to work, they should give you a green card.

Whoever hires you then great, you get to work.

You make what everyone else makes. Thai wages. This is Thailand.

If the school likes you, then great, you have a job for a while if not, they fire you

and the next person that comes along with a green card gets hired.

Being a great teacher has nothing to do with degrees, no one should make twice as much

as a Thai certified teacher for any reason, it wouldn't happen in your country.

Make it easy to work here and maybe people will enjoy the quality of life and security of not having to leave. wai2.gif

Unlicensed teachers and unelected officials go hand in hand in setting the standard for Thailand's future...

The uneducated become more so...and democracy becomes a distant memory...

The sad fact is that even an unqualified native english teacher is better than a qualified thai teacher. I used to have a business very close to a school that supposedly taught english, and I could not understand the teacher when he spoke english to me ! What hope does a student have under such circumstances ?

They need to remove all the teachers without degrees immediately.

It is an absolute joke to allow someone without a degree anywhere near a classroom.

Do you see any Thai staff without degrees? No.

How about in your home countries? No.

Native speakers

Accredited universities from NES countries

Subject or traditional liberal arts degree

Hard sciences, Math.

The Thai govt simply must rid itself of all these dodgy teachers.

It is an absolute joke to allow someone without a degree anywhere near a classroom.

Native speakers

Hard sciences, Math.

Thaivisa rules:

5) You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.

24) Multiple accounts by the same person are not allowed. If you have access issues contact support at http://www.thaivisa.com/contact

You continually press for changes in the Thai government's education policies using multiple handles (Rocketsurgeon and Mencken). Sounds like you are trying to gather support to effect changes. Very bad. Tut tut.

I have nearly 40 years teaching experience + degree + Certificate of Education. I offered to teach in a local school; part-time & for free. I was told I needed a Work Permit even for voluntary work. The school told me they would fix it up for me. When I turned up they had done nothing. Bearing in mind my friend had just been 'fined' 50,000 for making himself a coffee in the kitchen of his wife's bar, I walked away. Thailand deserves the teaching profession it has got.

The current issues seems to be having to have an "education" degree, as opposed to just any degree. makes sense on the surface, but an education degree does not actually mean the person is a good teacher, and an unrelated degree does not mean a person cannot teach well. I have met several "proper teachers" in Thailand with teaching degrees, that were so dysfunctional I wouldn't let them walk my dog,much less teach my children.

if people want to teach then let them teach.

You want to work, they should give you a green card.

Whoever hires you then great, you get to work.

You make what everyone else makes. Thai wages. This is Thailand.

If the school likes you, then great, you have a job for a while if not, they fire you

and the next person that comes along with a green card gets hired.

Being a great teacher has nothing to do with degrees, no one should make twice as much

as a Thai certified teacher for any reason, it wouldn't happen in your country.

Make it easy to work here and maybe people will enjoy the quality of life and security of not having to leave. wai2.gif

Does your country of origin hand out "green cards" to anyone who wants to work?

I If so I want one ! Where do I apply?

IMO this is not a black & white issue... there are no absolute right and wrongs.

In underprivileged area's where children face little opportunity to learn English I would suggest that any opportunity is better than none. i.e. any Native English Speaker - Degree educated or not, Qualified to teach English or not provides some benefit.

While this is not perfect, under the guise of 'better than nothing' I can see value where none would otherwise exist in having unqualified English teachers.

However, this issue if far more multifaceted - I would be furious if I found out that my Children were to be taught by unqualified teachers.

Why? I once helped out a Thai friend who owned a language school. His qualified English teacher had deserted him at the last moment, he required someone to step in at the last minute, so I helped out and earned a beer !...

I am not a qualified English teacher and could see where these students were being short changed.

Ironically enough, having grown up with English as my first language I lack explanation for many of its nuances.

What is second nature to me as a Native English speaker needs detailed explanation to those learning English. Part of the education of English Teachers gives them the skills and understanding of the English language to explain away these nuances.

So, to answer the question 'Are unlicensed teachers the key to solving Thailand's teacher shortage?'...

Is there actually a shortage?

I would offer that where possible Educated and Qualified teachers are a must, however, where this is not possible the Gaps could be filled.

Of course, offering Work Permits to Educated and Qualified teachers and simplifying the process for Schools could make things much easier.

How can there be a shortage when there is a waiting list for vacancies, you do not apply for them you have to take an exam to get on this list. I think for Bkk it's every 2 years and you have to have an education degree to take the exam, many teaching in the private sector take the exam for the bonus on security and a pension etc. in a govt job.

My mrs took it last about 4 years ago, out of over 2,000 sitting the exam only about 250 passed, they projected 500 vacancies in the next 2 year period, The exam is very odd rather like an IQ test and also there is a paper of law and education, some of the questions have more than one right answer! Of course some bribe there way onto the waiting list, the higher up you are the better your chances of being called in for a job. If you pass one year but are not lucky being called in for a job you have to do it all over again. If there is a shortage it will be the idiotic exam stopping people from getting on the list, there certainly are more than enough qualified teachers.

Edited by thai3

Native speakers

Hard sciences, Math.

# documented factual evidence shows many a thai university degree produces an average graduate that varies from mediocre to nearly useless

# it is no joke indeed that a multitude of mediocre to nearly useless degreed teachers are near and inside classrooms

# thai staff without degrees?? see above

# quality of graduates is a world of difference in many other countries

# i cant argue having a degree is a bad thing

# what are "hard sciences" physics, chem, bio ?? some people find these easier than soft sciences

a normal IQ NES person without a degree if properly motivated and capable (TEFL) can teach english as well as many a degree holding person, some better.

have you never how many dodgy degreed teachers there are out there? even in g7 countries

Edited by atyclb

Teachers of STEM subjects are also in short supply in the West.

If Thailand wishes to attract STEM qualified graduates the some thought must be give to the employment package offered.

In the UK Chartered Engineers quite often help out with STEM

It takes a lot more than having a degree to stand in front of a room full of students.You have to a personality as well.Also you need to smell nice and have the ability to get the kids interested in the subject.You also have to realise that these kids do not want an hour a day solid teaching.Sometimes they want to play a game,or just have a lesson where they can ask you questions,about anything and everything.If you don't get the kids on your side on your side,you might as well say goodbye to your job.Thai kids can be the best behaved students,but bore them and you are out on your arse.And of course all Thai teachers have got a degree,they bought them.Teaching in this country is nothing like Europe.The kids want you to be a friend as well as a teacher.(which is a relationship frowned upon in the UK.)

It is said here, that once you are a students teacher you are their teacher forever.I regularly got the odd bottle of Vodka from my Russian kids parents at Christmas.And whenever i was in the shopping centres,many of my students would come over and introduce me to their parents,even the ones in classes i didn't teach.

Its a vocation,not just a job.And of course you have to love kids.