Thai woman claims she was hit by car belonging to British Embassy

snoop1130

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thai woman claims she was hit by car"

Looking at the video it seems pretty straight forward. The woman on the motorbike was driving without due care and attention. and the motorbike hit the car....

The car did not "abruptly" enter the junction, it was sliding slow slow out....

This is a attempted scam......

think this a case of Lady on motorbike don't have more than a 30K accident insurance.

Motorbike most likely not taxed or insured, meaning she would get nada from insurance even if other party is 100% at fault.

but because it is a farrang involved and even better embassy, she is just trying it on.

Well reading it at watching the clip, I would say that the motorcyclist is not blame free either, the VW is across the road for a good while before the collision showing that instead of slowing down to allow it to complete it's move, tried to overtake, which the driver was probably not expecting.

Taking a neutral view the driver is correct not to visit and not to accept responsibility/liability and let the insurance company sort it out, and has probably been advised the same by the embassy's lawyers.

Really there is no story here, other than the rider trying to force the issue via social media, or wouldn't even be published if it wasn't an employee of the embassy.

That said, it doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for her injuries or the situation she is in, but it certainly isn't as clear cut a case as is made out to be.

From the video the motorcycle was travelling too fast and instead of slowing down tried to pull out to the right.No-one from any Embassy is going to comment or admit guilt.

I felt nothing watching this video. The widespread lack of empathy by Thais to foreigners has done this to me, in addition to to having been the victim of violence by a Thai who I had never seen before and never had any interaction with at all. Even with the police taking this "person" into custody, and this person admitting that they attacked me, causing me to bleed, the police would not even press charges when we we're all at the police station. As a matter of fact, they would stop the discussion periodically to watch football replays on the television. I was yelled at when I demanded that charges be levied against the attacker. The police even went so far as to call a Frenchman who speaks Thai and English to tell me to give it up as they weren't going to do anything. Even after they sent me to the police hospital to be evaluated.

i would have felt something if it was a soi dog though.

Could be true. But, diplomatic immunity. So sad, too bad. Maybe some british philanthropist will anonymously donate money to cover the hospital cost. Or not.....

But then again, the motorcyclist could be 100% in the wrong. Try defensive driving Thailand!

Edited by connda

the video shows the bike hitting the stationary car at high speed plus the bike was on the extreme right of the lanes when they are supposed to be in the left lane by law, if she had been following the road rules she would not have hit the car. While the bike may have had right of way the car was blocked from turning by other cars/bikes that should have also given the car right of way(not unusual here as hardly anyone knows/obeys the rules). If the bike rider had of been obeying the law, not speeding, watching what was happening on the road she would not have hit the car, this is more than likely a 50/50 accident as the bike rider is also at fault.

130,000 Baht hospital treatment.

A bit pricey for a Thai motorcyclist me thinks. Maybe that's why she doesn't want to be named.

My girlfriend hit a motorcyclist who was hospitalised for 3 days with broken legs, cost 50,000 Baht.

Edit: After reading the full report, I take back my comment. I didn't realise she was hurt so badly.

A bit pricey me thinks? My leg operation at a government hospital was 95 K. And guess what? I was still on crutches after 6 months.

Do you really think broken bones heal withing 3 days?

You should have taken back your whole post, me thinks. Sorry, but it sounds so Anti Thai that it already hurts.

LOL, you complain about "Anti-Thai". Have you ever read any of your own posts?

The clip clearly shows the motorcyclist zoom in at a very high speed and slam into a car that appeared to be stationary as it waited for motorcycles to go past so it could turn. The car did not whip out of the soi and slam into the motorcycle, as the motorcyclist stated in the article. The reason the motorcyclist was flung so far was b/c she was going so fast. The car appeared to act in the normal way (for Thailand) by inching out into the road. In the US the car would most likely get most of the blame. But in Thailand there's an unwritten rule that motorcycles should steer out of the way of cars, just as cars have to steer out of the way of buses and trucks. Riding a bike at a very high speed in roughly the center of a busy Bangkok road is reckless riding.

Bet there'll be no comment from the high and mighty in the embassy.

The British Embassy says it is in the hands of the insurers and rightly so. Like myself, they don't susbcribe to this pathetic song sahn, krien jai rubbish either.

The British Embassy don't subscribe to anything much these days do they? I reckon they'd forward this problem to Liverpool too if they could.

I also don't subscribe to song sahn, krien jai but I'm an individual unlike them, they are an entity, backed and ruled by HRM. They should deal with matters like this in the proper diplomatic way.

It's not like they can't afford 2,500 quid, is it? 555

I've got no love for the British embassy, which is well known for its #%*# you attitude, but to be fair in this case it looks like the motorcyclist was at fault. Inching out into traffic to make a right turn is normal practice here. If you don't do it no one will ever stop to let you out.

Motorcycle's fault. 1.) The car was already blocking the lane for some time, motorcycle should have enough time to slow down. 2.) The motorcycle rode over the median line separating opposing traffic but rode too close to the car.

They should be blaming the Thai insurance company for handling it so slow, or the Thai driver for not being more careful (although it looks like the driver was careful from the very beginning). The passenger is not at fault. Their shaming video doesn't seem to be very effective.

Although I understand their grievances, as they don't have enough money to pay the bills which is the main reason why they release the video. But it should be directed at the insurance company instead.

I don't normmally have a good word to say about the Brit Embassy but in this case if the car was fully comp insured then it's up to the insurance company to cough up. Unless of course the driver was drunk or something.

Well reading it at watching the clip, I would say that the motorcyclist is not blame free either, the VW is across the road for a good while before the collision showing that instead of slowing down to allow it to complete it's move, tried to overtake, which the driver was probably not expecting.

Taking a neutral view the driver is correct not to visit and not to accept responsibility/liability and let the insurance company sort it out, and has probably been advised the same by the embassy's lawyers.

Really there is no story here, other than the rider trying to force the issue via social media, or wouldn't even be published if it wasn't an employee of the embassy.

That said, it doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for her injuries or the situation she is in, but it certainly isn't as clear cut a case as is made out to be.

The car has slowly moved out to cross the double wide lines. The motorcyclist collides with the car as it is moving slowly in this area or just after it has exited the area, both of which mean the motorcyclist is either overtaking in the yellow zone or in the oncoming lane.

Interestingly, in Thai traffic law this is a grey area. once a vehicles have entered yellow zone OR even if they are exiting the zone but have not fully exited this zone the police will not assign blame. Insurance companies will tell both parties to sort it out themselves. They advise the driver to not go to police but to claim their own insurance or pay it themselves. Particularly if there is only exterior body damage to the vehicle. Each claims their own insurance as a no fault accident.

I know because I have been in such situation. I can only surmise the reason for this is that body work in Thailand is so cheap that it is cheaper for the insurance company to let a person make the claim to their company AND get a mark in the record for the claim, eventually enjoying higher rates. This is of lower cost to the insurance company than having a person claim the other party is at fault and going to bat to make the claim in support of their client. That seems costly. Body work is cheap in Thailand.

I was pulling out of a HOSPITAL and was in the yellow X zone and turning right and waiting for an opening to merge with the traffic, which was very light. A car traveling in the lane I was trying to merge into hooked past me to the right and turned right into the Hospital. I stopped my car. Authorities came. When my front bumper hit his right rear end he was half in his lane. The guards standing out front and several others watched. There was CCTV. The insurance strongly encouraged me not to call police and get a ruling on culpability on the spot. I did. The police said that when an accident happens in yellow zone like this - one car pulling out and traffic passing, it is never clear who has culpability and therefore it is considered "no fault" collision. I filed with my insurance company and they paid to fix it.

We are fortunate Thai body work on typical cars - Honda Toyota etc is quite cheap.

Also, it is interesting to note that Insurance companies do not share records. So if you have excessive claims with one and rates go up, just cancel and go to a new one and start fresh.

Having said all this, I suspect that since the motorcyclist was injured, the insurance and authorities may handle it differently. It is common in Thailand. Reminds me of 10 years ago when motorcyclist with her daughter (both without helmets) T-boned me running a red light. I broke right ankle but after it was all sorted out they had me paying to have their bike repaired and cover my own expenses! Why? It was an opportunity for me to Dtam Boon, and make merit as I am (so they think) rich and therefore have the opportunity to do something gracious and good for myself. I paid it. And I have better merit now, thank you very much.

I can believe it. There is a culture at the British Embassy in Thailand that denies responsibility for anything. It's procedures are illegal, it asked the British journalist being sued for defamation (for exposing human trafficking) to sign a form of indemnity before it would even consider offering help. The Consul, Ms Joanna Roper, is a liar (there, I've made myself open to a defamation suit) and the entire embassy is a waste of time and money.

Makes you proud to be British.

But their car was insured in accordance with the law for which they paid good money. I don't see where the problem is.

When you pay upwards of 20000 baht to insure your car, would you then pay damages out of your own pocket even though it's the insurance co's responsibility?

It isn't even certain who's at fault here. The insurance liaise with each other and sort it out.

I normally knock the Brit Emb but in this case they're 100% in the right.

Edited by jesimps

It looks like proper procedures were followed by getting the insurance companies involved.

I do wonder if it had been a taxi that had been involved, instead of the embassy employee, whether there would be any follow up?

You mean a motocy taxi right? or any other 'government job worker' for that matter. That indeed would've made this story 100% different. First of all it probably wouldn't have reached the news and secondly the embassy would've been forced to cover all costs and damages, including lost income due to injury/recovery time. Embassies have a fund for cases like this. It's normal practice in 'tropical nations'. Normal procedure would be to sweep stories like this under the carpet asap. Very unprofessional on their side. For 5000 quid there never would've been a story

weeks ago I was pulling into a car space ...angle parking...,blinker on and was just crawling along,turned into the space and a bike with an old guy tries to overtake me on the inside ....runs straight into the side of my car ...I get out and help pick up his bike and he is saying is my fault ...called insurance company and the insurance guy looks at everything and says the old guy was at fault ...wants me to clean up the problem and pay the old guy a few thousand bht for the problem to go away...Bullshit ain't paying for someone to run into my car and I have to pay....mentioned to insurance guy that I am off to local police station to report accident ...old guy up and off he went no money and I did the police report and now have the car back from repairer

The majority of the comments on Panthip (Thai Forum) present the opinion that the Motorcyclist is to blame.

The Injured motorcyclist is seeking funds for loss of earnings over the forthcoming months as she is unable to continue working. She has a family to look after.

I believe the Insurance (of the Car) would take care of her medical bills. However, I don't believe that the insurance would provide compensation for loss of earnings unless taken to court.

If there is precedent for this I guess the lady may stand a chance. However, blame / fault would first need to be established and I suspect that this incident would be classed as 50 : 50 which means that the lady (motorcycle rider) is herself culpable and unable to Sue for loss of earnings.

Motorcyclist was 100% at fault, the car driver edged out slowly, and waited to join the flow of traffic, the bike drove into the car.

An easily avoided accident on the part of the motorcyclist, the rider simply had to look ahead and slow down WHEN YOU SEE A CAR BLOCKING YOUR LANE!

I look at it and you are 100% right the bike should have miss the car slowly coming out I would say the bike rider was not looking ahead.

The British Embassy says it is in the hands of the insurers and rightly so. Like myself, they don't susbcribe to this pathetic song sahn, krien jai rubbish either.

The British Embassy don't subscribe to anything much these days do they? I reckon they'd forward this problem to Liverpool too if they could.

I also don't subscribe to song sahn, krien jai but I'm an individual unlike them, they are an entity, backed and ruled by HRM. They should deal with matters like this in the proper diplomatic way.

What utter blx. The embassy car was insured. It's the insurance co's problem. That's why you pay this vast sum to them each year. Knock the embassy for many valid reasons, but this time you have no case.

I wonder how the diplomatic immunity works in Thailand. When I lived in Nee York it was a nightmare. The UNbtypes would get in an accident and get off scott free - police could not even give them parking tickets

It is an International convention, specifically The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961) which Thailand ratified on 23 Jan 1985. As such they are obligated to follow the convention the same as any other signatories.

One thing to be aware of is that not every Embassy/Consulate employee has the same degree of immunity and are broken down into various categories and even within a category may have other levels of limitations. So depending on this individuals position will determine any legal consequences that can occur.

What utter blx. The embassy car was insured. It's the insurance co's problem. That's why you pay this vast sum to them each year. Knock the embassy for many valid reasons, but this time you have no case.

Let me just say it differently then. If matters like this happened under Labour governments it was settled silently, but as everyone knows this horrible Tory government don't like giving money away that they can pocket themselves clap2.gif

Looking at the physics of the situation I would say that she was going way to fast to avoid the incident. The rate of car movement is much too slow to have contributed significantly to her being propelled forward at such fast rate. Secondly, the cars position is such the it's vector representation is almost 90% to that of the woman which is almost continuing ahead. Also the motorbike, weighing much more than the woman, is also deflected forward but at a much smaller angle. However whether the car driver should have waited longer for traffic to allow the turn is much better answered by those who know the road because I don't live there.

Motorcyclist was 100% at fault, the car driver edged out slowly, and waited to join the flow of traffic, the bike drove into the car.

An easily avoided accident on the part of the motorcyclist, the rider simply had to look ahead and slow down WHEN YOU SEE A CAR BLOCKING YOUR LANE!

Exactly,

I have download the video in the best available resolution.

From the cars perspective:

The car wants to turn right (indicators on).

It moves very carefully and slowly onto the first lane and almost stops before the dividing line to let pass another motorcycle from the left.

At this moment the Thai woman coming from the right crashes into the front of the car even though there would be enough room to pass safely.

From the video it looks as she crashes into a stationary car.

Obviously more than enough time to realize, slow down and pass.

The usual blind brainless speeding of our beloved Thai motorcyclists.

As if they are alone on the road.

In the west she would have a considerable joint guilt.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I look at it and you are 100% right the bike should have miss the car slowly coming out I would say the bike rider was not looking ahead.

why look ahead when the phone or ones ugly mug is way more important, sometimes i watch the motorbikes going past and am always amazed at the length in time they dont look at the road 5-6-7-8 seconds normal,combined with "lets remove the mirrors and pull straight out of side roads without a thought" its no wonder more arent dead

What a stupid question from big....must be something in the water...being German do your broken bones take longer to heal?

The question was about the anti-Thai comment, not the time it takes for bones to heal - try reading slowly if you are finding comprehension difficult.

Just reread the report:

The woman says the car abruptly came out of Soi Pridipanomyong 20/1 and crashed into the motorcycle she was riding, flipping the bike over and sending her flying about 20 meters across the road.

A blatant lie which can easily be proven wrong with the video.

Even in this "time-lapse" video the car is creepily slow and the motorbike crashes into the right front corner of the car.

But well, it's a British embassy car (very rich farang) and we are in Thailand. So all will be well compensated.

Would be surprised if it comes out any different.

flying about 20 meters

After about 4m she lands on the road and then skidding maybe 20m.

Helmet or not? Can't tell for sure from the blurry video.

Edited by KhunBENQ