Crash on bypass road leaves Phuket taxi driver dead, three tourists injured

rooster59

Crash on bypass road leaves Phuket taxi driver dead, three tourists injured

Darawan Naknakhon

post-247607-0-88156700-1457767471_thumb.

The crash happened in front of Kittichai Yota Co on Chalerm Prakiet Rd.

PHUKET: A taxi driver was killed and three tourists injured when the vehicle they were in crashed into a crane truck on bypass road this morning (Mar11).

Lt Col Sakchai Chunyong of the Phuket City Police arrived at the scene, in front of Kittichai Yota Co on Chalerm Prakiet Rd northbound, with Kusoldharm rescue workers to find a wrecked green plate taxi in the road. Not far away was a crane truck and it’s driver, who was waiting for police to arrive.

Lt Col Sakchai said, “We were told that the taxi was heading north to drop off tourists at the airport when it collided with the truck that had just come from Kittichai Yota.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/crash-on-bypass-road-leaves-phuket-taxi-driver-dead-three-tourists-injured-56577.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-12

Someone was not wearing the seat belt to leave a hole on the windscreen...

I have seldom had any luck using seat belts in taxis in Thailand, as they are usually tucked under the seat back and difficult or impossible to access. I remember a couple of years ago heading to the airport in Bangkok to catch an overseas flight and digging behind the seat to find the belt while the driver was driving like a madman. When I pulled my hand out it was full of dirty grease bah.gif . It was a challenge to get that cleaned off before checking in for my flight.

This is something they should focus on here to improve road safety is to require taxis to maintain operational and accessible seat belts for all passengers. But I won't hold my breath on that one!

I have seldom had any luck using seat belts in taxis in Thailand, as they are usually tucked under the seat back and difficult or impossible to access. I remember a couple of years ago heading to the airport in Bangkok to catch an overseas flight and digging behind the seat to find the belt while the driver was driving like a madman. When I pulled my hand out it was full of dirty grease bah.gif . It was a challenge to get that cleaned off before checking in for my flight.

This is something they should focus on here to improve road safety is to require taxis to maintain operational and accessible seat belts for all passengers. But I won't hold my breath on that one!

They are not tucked under the seat. THey are not there. They sell them for money. I can't believe the tourists survived since it's pretty much guaranteed they were not wearing the non-existent seat belts.

Well ... I certainly the passengers don't get fined for overstaying their visa if they have been hospitalized.

I heard of that happening before. One would think Immigration would have provisions for extraordinary circumstances.

Well ... I certainly the passengers don't get fined for overstaying their visa if they have been hospitalized.

I heard of that happening before. One would think Immigration would have provisions for extraordinary circumstances.

Immigration does have those provisions.

The article doesnt specify whose fault it was. Why all the harsh pre-judgements?

The taxi piled into the rear of the crane on the road shoulder.

Yes, but apparently the crane just turned onto the road.

You may have "heard" of it before from someone making it up but it certainly isn't true. Immigration do have procedures for those in that situation who can prove it. That means a doctors letter. I know because I have in that situation and immigration went out of their way to help.

still the impact looks more like he rammed into it. No way to ram into something that hard in the left lane unless your making an illegal overtake at speeds that are way too high.

Multable times I've had to slam on the brakes while a driver pulls out in front of me that either didn't look or didn't care knowing his top speed was only 30 kph.

I have seldom had any luck using seat belts in taxis in Thailand, as they are usually tucked under the seat back and difficult or impossible to access.

On buses too. It is impossible for us foreigners to understand the mentality of Thais who actually make the effort, go out of their way, to disable seat bealts. Why? What is the point?

Edited by Jai Dee
Profanity deleted

Seat belt situation won't change because there is no way of enforcing it. I clearly remember growing up Australia as a kid that nobody wore seat belts and slowly over the years severe fines were being handed out and even then most were reluctant.

Won't be change here for another 20 years

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The article doesnt specify whose fault it was. Why all the harsh pre-judgements?

NO !!!

Tourists fault !!!

If they not have come to Thailand, accident would not have happen !!!

It's not clear whether the crane had warning lights around it, as so many construction machinery/large holes don't.

still the impact looks more like he rammed into it. No way to ram into something that hard in the left lane unless your making an illegal overtake at speeds that are way too high.

Multable times I've had to slam on the brakes while a driver pulls out in front of me that either didn't look or didn't care knowing his top speed was only 30 kph.

Everyone drives way too fast here. Farang and Thai. What's the rush .. Speed number 1 killer.

NO !!!

Tourists fault !!!

If they not have come to Thailand, accident would not have happen !!!

Please stop with this stupid line, that is only mentioned on a forum like this, but never after a real accident.

Taxi passengers recovering after fatal crash on Phuket bypass road
Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-249866-0-48170800-1457956131_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Three passengers travelling in a taxi that collided with a crane on the bypass road on Saturday are recovering in hospital and expected to be discharged later this week.

Police are still investigating the circumstances of the collision, which resulted in the death of the taxi driver.

The three Chinese passengers, each of them aged 25 years old, were on their way to the airport when the collision occurred.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Taxi-passengers-recovering-fatal-crash-Phuket-bypass/63420?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-14

Further, how do these cars / taxis / deathtraps ever pass any form of taxi inspection?

Edited by scorecard