Looking for familly car

Zendo

How can you actually find a good car when the only car you enjoy is a really bad vios?

Every car better than the vios disappoints you, your logic makes it so you won't be able to find anything under 1.5m

The avenza is pretty bad and unsafe just like a vios, there's nothing else in that range of bad except the proton minivan.

I do enjoy the ride on VIOS, the problem is security regarding this vehicule and also I need more space to carry bigger things whenever needed.

the Avanza is just not what I expect from a car...

In Laos they have the KIA Carens there.. looks like a good one for family but not available in Thailand... :(

Yes I got disapointed by those "suvs", the ratio "pleasure of driving / PRICE " is not as good as with a berline, so if loosing that pleasure better buy a TANK !

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the best plan would be to find the vehicle you want at a cheap charlie price you like in another country.

Import it to thailand, telling customs that you could not find a vehicle in Thailand that suited your particular taste and price range,

On checking their regulations they will see that, you are an exemption to the rules that apply to all other persons, they will then let you bring it in free of any duties

I will follow your advice and send the duty Tax bill to your home, in case that does not work like advised.

By the way, what do you drive now ?

I tried to think of good visibility cars with a bit of space and tech

Subaru XV

VW Tiguan

Mini Countryman

Used Audi Q5

Merc GLA

MPV in Thailand is not popular because the Toyota velfire van is not so expensive (by Thai standards) you could look at that too.

Zendo had a budget of 1M baht and already cut the Subaru XV.

VW Tiguan is a good suggestion. Way above budget when new but a used one might work.

The others will be above the budget. The Countryman and GLA are also a bit small for a family.

I tried to think of good visibility cars with a bit of space and tech

Subaru XV

VW Tiguan

Mini Countryman

Used Audi Q5

Merc GLA

MPV in Thailand is not popular because the Toyota velfire van is not so expensive (by Thai standards) you could look at that too.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Mme always dreamed about having an Audi, but unfortunatly my budget doesn't fit that size...:(

second hand might be good option but I am afraid it will still be high price for less than 2 years one, I'm gonna have a look on one2car

I just seen for the first time 2 Toyota vellfire, so I understand what you mean, this is a great huge familly car.. but I cannot find it on the Toyota main thai website.. and never seen that available on a Toyo show room... strange, where is that available and how much does it cost ?

Don't buy manual if living and driving in CM. After days of crawling through traffic with your left foot pounding the clutch, you'll switch to auto. Agree the Subaru disappoints on many counts. The best family car is a civic

thank you for this attention, but I don't live downtown, more than 20mn away.. pure countryside !

And for now.. (getting older might change that), I feel almost allergic to auto transmission.. specially CVT that DELETED and spoil any good feeling towards any engine, even good ones.

I think that is a question of habits.. European like manual much more.. DELETED

This is why I will buy a manual car, I have seen ford ranger with few models on it..

Edited by seedy
BASHING

Totally understand how you feel. I was in the same position a few months back and ended up buying the Ranger Wildtrak 2.2 manual. With a similar criteria to yours, it was the best vehicle I could buy for under 1 million. If you don't mind an auto then the 3.2 is still the best you can buy here at under 1.2m.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Thank you seedy for removing this car offering for sale... it was an HONDA with CVT transmission technology. just to be clear, this is the worst thing to buy for me.. It can kill even the best engine driver feeling, on my opinion.

JaseTheBass, thank you for your post, the more I think.. the more I am going into the same path .. but Sometimes I think CX5 mazda can make a good car to drive.. the price is still high, that's the main problem compared to a huge 4*4 Wildtrack Ranger, that I don't need.. just 2*4 XLT will be fine I guess !

Also I know a mazda seller from our village that works in CM, he said just pay the 25% and you can leave with the car and a discount, no need to investigate for credit approvement.. but still more expensive than the Ranger, and for petrol version that suck as much as a truck... difficult choice.

So yesterday I installed rearview cam and sensors + multimedia 7" screen on the vios.. that make me fell like it's "somehow" a premium car.. :P

For Subaru lovers.. the garage in CM has an XV 2015 version that they are selling for 1.098.000 with a credit available for everybody willing to pay the first 25% minimum.

They don't give you discount but the credit is 0% up to 60 month payment.

This is "kind of" a good offer if you like this car, the color is BLACK !

You looked at smaller SUV's like the Mazda CX-5, Nissan X-Trail and Honda CR-V?

Honda has also the Modulo, the new B-RV and the Freed, all 7-seaters. Some of my foreign friends drive the Freed and they are quite happy with its space on that small footprint.

I also looked at the Freed, but it is underpowered for my and I don't like the CVT transmission. So we chose the Mazda CX-5 (2.2 l Diesel with AWD).

The new Nissan X-Trail with 7 seats seems to be popular. It's CVT seems to be better (less boring) than the of its competitors.

Hi... Can i ask how's the fuel consumption for your CX-5 ? Roughly how many KM per full tank ?

Thank you seedy for removing this car offering for sale... it was an HONDA with CVT transmission technology. just to be clear, this is the worst thing to buy for me.. It can kill even the best engine driver feeling, on my opinion. JaseTheBass, thank you for your post, the more I think.. the more I am going into the same path .. but Sometimes I think CX5 mazda can make a good car to drive.. the price is still high, that's the main problem compared to a huge 4*4 Wildtrack Ranger, that I don't need.. just 2*4 XLT will be fine I guess !

Also I know a mazda seller from our village that works in CM, he said just pay the 25% and you can leave with the car and a discount, no need to investigate for credit approvement.. but still more expensive than the Ranger, and for petrol version that suck as much as a truck... difficult choice.

So yesterday I installed rearview cam and sensors + multimedia 7" screen on the vios.. that make me fell like it's "somehow" a premium car..[emoji14]

The XLT is underspecced compared to the export version. Get the Wildtrak as you get so much more for your money.

Yes.. the Navara is nice, but I test drive it and I think it doesn't behave the same as a Ford Ranger.. I got the boat feeling so much.. hard to describe but It's not as good driving as the ford ranger, and I also dislike very much the automatic gear from the navara.

Also I was disappointed so much when I look at the rear suspensions... the Thai version doesn't include the new comfortable suspension, they stick on the old school truck suspension for Thai Market.. such a shame !

The Cruise control also was not like I expected : no dedicated screen for setting the speed clearly, but anyway it's not available on any brand here.

=> for the Ranger XLT and Wildtrack.. i don't see much difference between those 2 models...Except the color orange available only for wildtrack and a 8" screen...maybe also more airbags on wildtrack ?

but because of technicals details on their website are on thai.. i might being missing something.

Edited by Zendo

Reversing camera, rear tub lights, better seats, cruise control and maybe more plug/connection points. I think there are more but my missus isn't here to read the brochure to me.

I found the new orange a bit anaemic so went for blick.

[Edit] Auto headlights and auto wipers. Programmable ignition key.

Edited by JaseTheBass

Reversing camera, rear tub lights, better seats, cruise control and maybe more plug/connection points. I think there are more but my missus isn't here to read the brochure to me.

ok, reversing camera can be installed for real cheap later, with a premium screen as well, android, iphone compatible, 4khd screen....etc...Etc

cruise control is the same on XLT and Wild track.. plugs.. connections should be as weel, so I am really willing to see why the wiltrak cost more or less 100.000 thb than the XLT.. but i can't find why for now.

Number of airbags have to be confirmed.. and maybe some high tech tools like driving help / auto stop... who knows?!? are available only on wildtrack..

For EU the seats of the wildtrack can be heaten.. that is not relevant here i guess :)

[Edit] Auto headlights and auto wipers. Programmable ignition key.

Auto headlights and auto wipers. Programmable ignition key. > OK that is interresting, I got used to this geek gadgets... you make a good point, but it still expensive for few sensors^^

ok, reversing camera can be installed for real cheap later, with a premium screen as well, android, iphone compatible, 4khd screen....etc...Etc

cruise control is the same on XLT and Wild track.. plugs.. connections should be as weel, so I am really willing to see why the wiltrak cost more or less 100.000 thb than the XLT.. but i can't find why for now.

Number of airbags have to be confirmed.. and maybe some high tech tools like driving help / auto stop... who knows?!? are available only on wildtrack..

For EU the seats of the wildtrack can be heaten.. that is not relevant here i guess :)

The reversing camera on the WT is connected to the electric steering and shows you where you're going to end up. It works very well and as my 5ft nothing wife drives the truck 99% of the time and has yet to reverse it into anything, I guess it proves its value (to me at least).

If it helps, look at the differences between the XLS and the XLT Aussie spec models and its pretty close to the Thai XLT / WT models.

Caradvice.com.au have comprehensive lists of features. If my car was in CM now you could take a look.

Edited by JaseTheBass

Hi... Can i ask how's the fuel consumption for your CX-5 ? Roughly how many KM per full tank ?

The average diesel consumption after 50,000 kilometres is 6.7 l/100 km (14.9 km/l). The tank volume is 58 l, so about 850 kilometres. We newer drive at the end, normally fill-up after about 650 kilometres. The longest trip was 740 kilometres and we had still enough fuel. The fuel gage and the trip computer are quite accurate and you can trust the range values.

The fuel consumption depends on traffic situations and your driving style. We drive the CX-5 around Hua Hin, about 50-100 kilometres a day. About every month there is a trip to Bangkok and 4 times per year a trip to Roi-Et province.

We try to drive «moderate» and «smooth» (fuel economical) and seldom with speeds of more than 120 km/h on the highway. Every SUV or pick-up tends to be a fuel guzzler above 110/120 km/h. The CX-5's engine is very powerful and «seduces» to use its capabilities.

We just got the new CX-5 where you have more detailed information on fuel consumption. I could reach values just above 5 l/100 lm on smooth rides on the main road at a speed of around 85 km/h.

If it helps, look at the differences between the XLS and the XLT Aussie spec models and its pretty close to the Thai XLT / WT models.

Caradvice.com.au have comprehensive lists of features. If my car was in CM now you could take a look.

Fords Thai website comparison page can detail the difference between models in English.

https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models?intcmp=vhp-module-model&itemid=1249158960275#step=2

Bit off topic - but have always filled the tank when gauge reads 1/2 full. Most have an intank fuel pump, and running the tank near empty means that the pump is not covered with fuel, so runs hotter and shortens pump life. Plus - it is cheaper to buy 1/2 a tank !!!

Fords Thai website comparison page can detail the difference between models in English.

https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models?intcmp=vhp-module-model&itemid=1249158960275#step=2

Thank you for the link, so here are the main differences between those 2 models XLT and Wildtrack 2.2L , both with manual transmision ( I skiped design and furnitures as well as chromes change that don't change anything about comfort ):

Locking Rear Differential

Air Conditioning - Dual Zone Climate Control

Cooled Console

230V Invertor

My Key

Front Side Airbags and Side Curtain Airbags

ESP with Traction Control System

Hill Launch Assist

Trailer Sway Control

Roll Over Mitigation

Emergency brake - hazard warning

Volumetric Burgular Alarm System

Changeable 7 Colors Ambient Lighting

So.. it's quite a lot of cool gadgets to enjoy on the wildtrack , for a bit more than 100.000 thb it seems to be a fair deal.

Of course, the Hill Launch Assist is only on the automatics (unless it's a new name for a clutch).

The WT has partial leather seats.

The Wildtrak is also a little softer sprung, so it rides better but has a slightly reduced max payload (too complicated for the Thai or Aussie website to explain).

Of course, the Hill Launch Assist is only on the automatics (unless it's a new name for a clutch).

The WT has partial leather seats.

The Wildtrak is also a little softer sprung, so it rides better but has a slightly reduced max payload (too complicated for the Thai or Aussie website to explain).

Yes I understand about the Hill launch assist.. but in EU it is available for manual gear box as well so you think they make a mistake by putting it a the wildtrack manual technical description ? I won't be surprised.

and for the little softer sprung, where did you got that info.. it's not written anywhere .. can you provide a link maybe ?