​What is a polite way to stop question, “How much?”

PT4

​.

Thai people frequently ask, “How much?” What is a polite way to stop those questions? I’ve tried answering, “mai-bpen-rai”, but they just keep asking. Obviously not a suitable response.

There is precedent for this in Thai language: Another question Thai people often ask is, “Where you go?” If answer is, “bpai-tu-rah”, “I’m going to do errands”, they never ask for details. Now I’m looking for a similar answer to the question, “How much?”

​I’ve observed that when lower class Thai people learn what I pay for things, deep feelings of resentment often come to the surface. Has led to serious problems in the past. Trying to avoid that in future. Anyone else experience similar? How did you solve the problem?

what are they asking the price of, do you have a shop.

No shop, just ordinary conversation: "Where you come from?" I answer, "USA", and next question often is, "Go airplane, how much?" Carrying a bag from Villa Market, meet a Thai neighbor in the parking lot. She looks in bag, sees a package of something, asks, "How much?" I bought a new chair for living room. Next day, maid asks, "How much?"

​On the surface, questions are just innocent conversation, Thai-style. But I've observed that when prices are much higher than lower class Thais are used to, problems can arise.

Edited by PT4

​No shop, just ordinary conversation: "Where you come from?" I answer, "USA", and next question often is, "Go airplane, how much?" Carrying a bag from Villa Market, meet a Thai neighbor in the parking lot. She looks in bag, sees a package of something, asks, "How much?" I bought a new chair for living room. Next day, maid asks, "How much?"

​On the surface, questions are just innocent conversation, Thai-style. But I've observed that when prices are much higher than lower class Thais are used to, problems can arise.

I think you need to wise up, since the amount of money your happy to spend is more than your neighbours a white lie wouldn't go astray here, 50% of what it cost you fine?

Don't worry about them rushing down to buy one, Thai style is half truths and lack of details....try it.

this line of questions many times ends up with them claiming to have a brother, cousin, and so on from your home city, and if it gets that far some money or favor is in the works

​.

​No, its not that game at all.

What about 'mak geunbai' and leave it at that.

​.

​Thanks, Rob, for the suggestion, but I doubt it would end that line of questioning. I've tried, "glang-glang" (middle-middle price), but they keep asking, "How much? How much?" So I'm looking for something stronger, but still polite and respectful.

​When I've asked my Thai language teachers how to handle this situation, they were dumbfounded. They couldn't answer. As if, why wouldn't I want everyone to know how much I paid for everything, how much is my pension, how much in my bank account, Etc.!

Edited by PT4

Just give a politicians answer. Speak a lot but don't say much.

Example :

How much was the plane ticket ?

Well, funny you should ask but cheaper than I thought. Because of the fall in oil prices airlines have not put up their prices much since last year. Oil prices have fallen because as you know demand is at a low. This is probably connected to many factors such as shale production and a flooded market but also because cars etc are more economical than before. This is because when oil prices were high car manufacturers introduced more economical cars .....

just continue to waffle on and on ad nauseum until their eyes glaze over and they get bored listening.

If they persist and say but how much just joke and say...more than ten baht. Then ask them how much they pay for petrol compared to last year.

In the end they will give it up or else get that you don't want to talk about it.

just continue to waffle on and on ad nauseum until their eyes glaze over and they get bored listening. If they persist and say but how much just ... ask them how much they pay for ...

​Denim, that's the best answer so far! Especially if I waffle on IN ENGLISH! Thank you, I will definitely use your advice.

ลืม, Leum, forget. ไม่ทราบ, mai saap, dont know.

​Meh! Thais never forget the price of anything. They wouldn't believe me if I tried that response.

Edited by PT4

ลืม, Leum, forget. ไม่ทราบ, mai saap, dont know.

​Meh! Thais never forget the price of anything. They wouldn't believe me if I tried that response.

Try changing the pool you swim in, the above works with the Thais I know.

Do you want a soi or pasat talat answer?

No shop, just ordinary conversation: "Where you come from?" I answer, "USA", and next question often is, "Go airplane, how much?" Carrying a bag from Villa Market, meet a Thai neighbor in the parking lot. She looks in bag, sees a package of something, asks, "How much?" I bought a new chair for living room. Next day, maid asks, "How much?"

I just say "mai bok kap" and laugh. Or I tell them.

those kind of questions really are annoying...!

For people I don't care, I tell them:

"it's none of your business" , which works great, cause they will never ask you any question again.

Option two: (polite one)

Pralaya chai mod - or "Fan kep tang!" while you say that you have to lift your eyebrows up repetitively and smile,

works for me.

I can't remember.....

Now of course you can and of course they know you can.... But it's a face saver, usually the person asking will recognize this and drop the question.

This has worked for me in the past. Politeness is a two way street, someone asking how much is innocent but socially clumsy, dealing with the question in an equally socially clumbsy manner is acceptable in my opinion.

I can't remember..... Now of course you can and of course they know you can.... But it's a face saver, usually the person asking will recognize this and drop the question.

I didn't think of that. Yes, indeed, its a very "Thai way" to reply. Thank you, Richard, for explaining to me.

For people I don't care, I tell them: "it's none of your business" , which works great, cause they will never ask you any question again.

When I asked my Thai teachers how to say, "none of your business" in Thai they were shocked and warned me, "It's not polite to say like this." But they couldn't think of a better way to deflect the never-ending series of questions, "How much?"

I just say "mai bok kap" and laugh.

​I've been saying that recently (except I don't say "kap" in this situation). However, the response from the Thai is usually a frown/scowl, and conversation often ends right there. So I posted here looking for a better alternative.

As a fluent Thai speaker who's lived here for more years than I care to remember I regret to tell you that you're seeking the impossible. You cannot respond in a way that will stop those questions. The best that you can do is avoid answering them.

I usually attempt to be evasive in such situations - "I don't remember precisely how much", "My wife paid", or better still "I'm not the one who paid", or "That wasn't something that I took a great deal of notice of", or even in a gently confrontational vein "Why do you want to know?" "Why does that interest you?" "Why does that matter to you?".

If the enquirer's line of questioning continues I respond by displaying bemusement, without actually replying verbally.

Good luck!

​I respond by displaying bemusement, without actually replying verbally.

​Thank you, Horatio, for suggesting a very "Thai" way to respond to unwanted questions. I certainly will use that.

Edited by PT4

The "where you go" - which is nosey for Westerners is just a greeting and can be answered with "hello" followed by sabai dee mai? or anything else - sort of as Westerners ask "how are you" - we are not looking for a detailed health report...

If in a joking mood I might answer "mais mee bpai nai - mee bpai nah maa"

As to asking how much, yes, that happens more than back home and can feel intrusive, especially when it is used as a gauge of wealth. I will usually be able to brush it away - with a mais bpen rai or if persistent, I might whisper "too-ra eng" which usually will be well understood. If it is something of value, like a car, they usually know.

The greater problem to this is that it can lead to requests for loans. It is surely quite obvious that I have more than most in the village and that I have made loans to family members [currently all paid back as my family understands and appreciates a no interest loan] The way it is mostly handled is through my wife. She has a better idea of who will pay it back - and who will not. Still it can lead to some uncomfortable moments, though rarely.

good luck.. and try not to let it bother you.

Thank you to those who have posted practical suggestions here -- enough good ideas to solve the problem. I'm going to un-follow the topic now. Anyone who wants to discuss more with me is welcome to send a message.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find one single response which will work in every situation. Some of the suggested responses are quite rude and far too abrupt in my opinion. If you are new to the language deflection can be difficult. The important things is to avoid being rude.

Smile, change the subject, ask a question, say you are not sure, ask if they would mind terribly if you didn’t tell them, say not much, say probably too much, say your embarrassed to say, if they offer a guess which is way too low say they are close, if they guess too high just laugh and say I wish I had that kind of money.
Sometimes it is better just to tell the truth but sound like you are embarrassed to admit that you spent that amount. It all depends on what it is and who you talking with. Again, the important thing is to not show any sign of irritation or make the other person feel like you are putting them down.