Chinese in campervans spark frustration in Thailand

rooster59

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade, when life gives you camper vans ........make attractive fully serviced camping parks.

Actually the north has many really great national parks.. All set up as campgrounds, showers and toilets, usually a good for food options in the popular ones..

To say theres no where for them is vastly misleading.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blows my mind how insular they can be..

They spend millions per year on promoting tourism.. Then when tourists come in a way they cant maximise the cash extraction... they cry foul..

Tourists come with negatives.. These tourists are perhaps not spending the way you want.. Get over it and yourselves..

What should blow your mind is how TAT is always emphasizing domestic tourism, which is misguided because Thais stay with relatives and spend little money, but let Chinese behave like the domestic tourist and it;s all pout and whine.

Drove by this location on Highway 1 about 3 weeks ago and this lot had 50 or so RV and campers for sale. The photos for GE is 3 year old but you can see a few in it at.

GPS 15.2526666547, 100.297313621

attachicon.gifRV.jpg

Here is their FaceBook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Classiccar-Caravan-1419398684945860/

Not the same outfit but thanks for the link of another.

Thailand will look like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Trying to get Chinese money. Everyone at TAT should be fired for being so stupid.....lol

many without capability-aptitude are hired based on nepotism and cronyism at the outset thus the benchmark is set and likely most are not even aware of any shortcomings. a takeoff on the saying "blind leading the blind"

every chef in the kitchen making "ineptitude soup"

Edited by atyclb

Thailand will look like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Trying to get Chinese money. Everyone at TAT should be fired for being so stupid.....lol

"In that month alone, 4,757 Chinese-registered cars entered the country through Chiang Khong,"

That's not just money that is serious money !!!! Chinese money? is money to if you didn't know it !!!

I went for a ride around northern Malaysia the other week, I saw signs to campsites on the main E-W highway. It made for a cheap weekend away.

I rode off road through a national park until it got dusk, I found a patch of grass, put up a tent and the local tribal people came out of the jungle and asked me for dinner, other than that it was normal behavior.

I was thinking at the time, this would be frowned upon in Thailand,

Edited by recom273

One thing that hasn't been addressed is there will now be an influx of Chinese tourists complete with their own version of ' driving ' skills. Also, these are people who are used to driving on the opposite side of the road. Put that together with the Thai driving habits of ' I am the King of the road ' and in a country with the second worst accident rates in the world, this should be interesting!

As many other posters have said, the Thai government should have been careful for what it wished for. These people are wanting to travel, view the place as cheaply as possible. Making their own food as they go, lavatories will be any nearby field,spending next to nothing and wanting to see Amazing Thailand.

Welcome to the ' real world ' Thailand.

Sorry got cut off....was saying, some people seem to look for reasons just to "bash" Thailand.....Is there any country in the world that would not prefer....high spending tourists. Why are things like this always protrayed as TIT alone?

What is missing in this panic is that these Chinese tourists will actually spend money in local businesses unlike the flag following brigade. They will need to buy fuel, food and water, then if there was actually the infrastructure they would camp in camping grounds.

The wont camp if it costs them money.

No sympathy really. Everyone wants Chinese money, what do we all expect. Aus is the same

No,No, this is not how its supposed to be,tourism on the cheap is not

what TAT wants,they want tourists to fly in with plenty of money and

stay in high class hotels,maybe thats why they are now turning to

S.Korea,these Chinese are causing too many problems.

regards Worgeordie

Well, no wonder TAT isn't happy with farangs, many farangs try to come here to live in on the cheap--remember, all those farangs who claimed to live on B5, 10, or 20k/mo

I think a bit of gloating is due to the fact that Thailand has been dismissing falling western spending and tourist complaints of not getting a fair deal with the all-encompassing broad statements they made, that it didn't matter as they had the new breed of tourist classes from China and that they would be concentrating on their Chinese and in fact, Russian tourists.

Much as though there may be low spending tourists from the West living on 10,000 baht - 20,000 baht a month as some poster mentions, I believe there are a lot more who have fuelled the economy well in terms of buying condos, houses for girlfriends and wives, the auto industry and generally the shopping, gold shops and phone shops included etc. Plenty of the houses in Isaarn and agricultural vehicles have been bought by westerners.

I do not feel either the Chinese nor the Russians will be as forthcoming in sharing their wealth.They tend to bring their wives and families with them.

Edited by Scouse123

Its just to easy..

Yes to easy.

I have a friend who has been a member of Good Sam for over 30 years.He stays some places for a month or 2 and pays monthly rate usually around $400 a month.By the week can be $175 and the day $50.My rates by off a little I have not talked with him for 4 years. Great money to be made.Just put in hook ups and little maintenance especially in Thailand. Can make more money from Campers than a hotel with less up start costs and less maintenance costs.

With the help of police ticketing over night stops in public,,forces the campers to use camp sites.Either pay fines for illegal parking or pay to park in accredited camp grounds.

Great concept, but I'm not sure how the numbers shake out when you're in competition with hotel rooms for $10-25-50, sometimes even less.

Given that China is a huge place, I'd think that there's a business in renting RV's to the Chinese (and others) near major airports instead of having them drive in from China. Land, rent your RV in BKK, and that's probably a lot cheaper than renting one in China and driving it 500 or 1000 miles (or more) to get to the beach. They generally get abysmal fuel economy, and a lot of rental agencies charge extra for high mileage trips.

Makro, BigC, Tesco, etc, could use WalMart's USA model where they invite RV'ers to park overnight for free in their parking lots, knowing most of them will be shopping for something during their stay. I've done it, and it's a great way to stay enroute to an end point destination. Not very appealing in terms of scenery or activities, but it's a cheap and convenient way to get where you're going to end up. Then, I don't mind paying the big bucks for a genuine campground.

Edit: As an afterthought, when they return the RV, you can point out the damage they did to it and hit them up for millions gajillions...

Edited by impulse

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade, when life gives you camper vans ........make attractive fully serviced camping parks.

Money to be made here folks, just copy the west, and stop complaining.

regards Worgeordie

Actually, No. TAT would rather you stayed home and just wired your money directly. TAT would take care of distributing it among the needy (read Fat Cat Officials). cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

regards Worgeordie

Hmmm, let's approach this more broadly. Many come to Thailand for it's natural and exotic beauty. I have visited some of the beautiful national parks. Many tourists of various nationalities are familiar with camping and using caravans. Thailand could develop an outstanding park camping/ motor home (self propelled caravans) sites. Thus, Thailand can earn the money, attract a clientele, promote itself even more. The other business opportunity arising would be renting the camping vans. Yes, I can think of a series of hurdles to be overcome, not the least of which is cultural differences...but still. A thought.

Its just to easy..

Koa_logo.pngGoodSamClub.gif

Being an American(retired) trucker,I use to hate these people because didn't conceder other drivers on the road,so can you imagine what it will be like with the Chinese.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Conversely, having owned motor homes from 1980-2011... Yes, there would be growing pains. I am thinking here of camper vans rather than my last 38 ft diesel pusher that cost more than my house.

On the subject of being stupid that you raised, why should everyone in TAT be fired as a result of your reading a report that did not mention that organisation once? Get kicking.

Thailand want the tourists as it's neede for the country!

But they don't like to do anything for the tourists to make it comfortable in any way they are visiting Thailand, even with tents or campers. There is no infrasturcture at all!

And high quality tourists they can find if they turn around and make spots for these people. If i think on Cote d'azur or the Italien toruists sports at the ocean with bars and coffees , nice restaurants to dine out along the stretch of the beaches thats what i expect as a tourist destination that attracs me to go there and spend my money!

And if I want to visit National Parks i expect for that money they want to charge a toruist information system with some english flyers at least: they offer nothing but want 400 bath for what?????

So TAT first try to use your brain before you complain!

"So TAT first try to use your brain before you complain!"

Why don't you use yours? TAT hasn't complained, neither was it even mentioned in the report!

Reminds me of a story I was told by an Aussie athlete (para Olympics). He was playing AFL going to tackle someone when his foot came off. He still tackled the opponent and was awarded a free kick with only one leg.....

U only have to be present in a hotel lobby when a bus load of quality arrives , Armageddon comes to mind...................................coffee1.gif

You should see some of the yobs who turn up in Spain and Cyprus. That's when you notice that the locals would love to kick out certain tourists.

Been there, seen that, don't make me say f.i. Russian, Arabic or Israëli tourists are pleasant holiday neighbours, but Chinese from organised tours span the crown IMO, and alas far from only in the resorts where they stay...