Thai police visit Soi Cowboy to show they’re serious about tackling human trafficking

webfact

Thai police visit Soi Cowboy to show they’re serious about tackling human trafficking
Thaivisa Reporters

sc.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Tourists out for a beer in Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy were concerned to see a veritable army of police and public officials descend on them on Tuesday evening.

But their happy hour at the famed Sukhumvit Road entertainment districts was not spoilt - it was not a raid but a public relations exercise to make people aware of issues relating to human trafficking. And to reassure the public that the government is on top of the problem.

Public welfare officials and police from Lumpini and Thong Lor stations under whose districts the Soi 4 and Soi 21/23 areas come along with immigration officers made up the entourage that distributed leaflets and other information aimed to address the issue of being aware of "human trafficking in all its forms."

Leading the delegation Kornchai Khlaikhleung , from the organisation at the forefront of dealing with such problems, said that "many tourists showed a great interest in what we are doing."

"We want to show that the different agencies are all pulling together and acting on government policy to stamp out the trade in human trafficking."

The two districts well known for go-go dancing and bars, have around 80 different venues, he said, and many people in these were visited as part of the PR operation. People were reminded of the laws promulgated in 2008 regarding the illegal trade and encouraged to report violations to authorities.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-03-16

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any forigner who has invested into these bars (even as a silent partner) need to wake up and see that something is on the cards, IMHO i would be looking to get out before I was arrested for HT as we all know and so do the Military whats really going on with girls working in these places ..hostes, coyote or what ever name you like to call them they are mostly available for hire by customers of the bar, and under the UN terminology they are sex workers for payment and the bar takes a (bar finec, lady drink, ST room etc) which as we all know is illegal in thailand...be careful out there the knock is getting closer

Who's the lady in the clown suit?

Believe me when I say, you don't want to mess with her.

She is the Boss of Hillary Group including many other venues such as Morning and Night, Climax Disco and and and...and probably the whole Soi 4 and her Brother some high ranking Officer at Lumpini Police.

But indeed she is a very nice women and very friendly.

Any forigner who has invested into these bars (even as a silent partner) need to wake up and see that something is on the cards, IMHO i would be looking to get out before I was arrested for HT as we all know and so do the Military whats really going on with girls working in these places ..hostes, coyote or what ever name you like to call them they are mostly available for hire by customers of the bar, and under the UN terminology they are sex workers for payment and the bar takes a (bar finec, lady drink, ST room etc) which as we all know is illegal in thailand...be careful out there the knock is getting closer

Sex workers are one thing, human trafficking is something else entirely. If their logic dictates that it is the same problem, then it is marred from the beginning. Especially in the tourist areas. Yes, they do overlap at times, but not in the commercial areas. A public relations exercise off the beaten track would prove to be a different animal for this gaggle i could almost guarantee.

BTW, I think they would be better handing out their leaflets around the malls and temples, good chance there would be a little more interest in those areas rather than distracting the punters......................wink.png

I am glad that the RTP showed their team spirit in seriously tackling trafficking at Soi Cowboy, what is not mentioned is that they also showed a considerable amount of brotherhood spirit by not tackling human trafficking in police-owned, or police-protected brothels, night clubs, karaoke bars...

Sex workers are one thing, human trafficking is something else entirely. If their logic dictates that it is the same problem, then it is marred from the beginning. Especially in the tourist areas. Yes, they do overlap at times, but not in the commercial areas. A public relations exercise off the beaten track would prove to be a different animal for this gaggle i could almost guarantee.

BTW, I think they would be better handing out their leaflets around the malls and temples, good chance there would be a little more interest in those areas rather than distracting the punters......................wink.png

Oh I see, so all of the hookers around the tourist areas are "legitimate hookers". They are there of their own free will and no HT involved at all, they probably have a decent health and dental plan as well.

Phew, glad to know, I always thought that these streets were filled with exploited teenagers from remote parts of the country bought in by criminal gangs to fulfil the demand for locals and tourists alike who are looking to pay for sex.

Oh I see, so all of the hookers around the tourist areas are "legitimate hookers". They are there of their own free will and no HT involved at all, they probably have a decent health and dental plan as well.

Phew, glad to know, I always thought that these streets were filled with exploited teenagers from remote parts of the country bought in by criminal gangs to fulfil the demand for locals and tourists alike who are looking to pay for sex.

How many girls (or boys/3rd gender) in Cowboy or Nana do you believe are there against their will, being forced to stay there?

As stated earlier, off the beaten track is another story.

Soi Cowboy and similar areas familiar to westerners like in Pattaya and Phuket etc.... is one thing... and one type of sex trade. It's more or less out in the open and everyone knows about it.. the familiar scene....

But the REAL illegal stuff they are looking for is way down the back, narrow, dark streets that the westerners don't usually go to.

Chinese and other Asian sex customers are familiar with those places... I don't think the BIB's make it a habit of cracking down in those locations...

But that is exactly where they SHOULD be cracking down...

Try focusing on the brothels in Khon Khan were the girls are not free to leave the premises. Oh wait! Who are the primary customers? Thai men. I've seen it, although close to a decade ago. It was disturbing.

"But it's all different now. Trafficking only happens in farang venues!!!"

Dream on...(but we all make good targets and it refocuses the problem away from the source)