Thai tourists dump boxes of garbage at Swiss waterfall, netizens outraged

snoop1130

The Swiss driver certainly did not dump it; they usually stay with their coach, have a chat, smoke or a (soft) drink while the tourists are going their way - alone or with a guide.
But then, why should only Thailand be blessed with "Quality Tourists"? And, instead of trying local delights, they remain that uneducated and bring along their own junk food; in all honesty I wonder what these people are doing out of their country in the first place. Travelling should widen the horizon - well, it certainly did for everybody - except those travelling giggle.gif

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing how prim and proper the Swiss can be, and assuming the coach driver being Swiss, somehow cant see this being the driver somehow..

And sorry to say in Thailandthis MO fits, been to many tourist spots in Thailand and seen the locals just dumping stuff when finished with it

So with all things being equal, could driver have dumped this ?..yes but the higher probability sits with the tourists

The driver can be from any EU nationality i guess. Most Thai visit 7 EU countries in like 4 days. They sit in the coach ALL DAY long....And even bring their own cheap food it seems....maybe it's time for some attitude adjustment?

As this was a corporate trip from Thailand to Switzerland the driver would most likely be Swiss and not an EU driver.

I know of many foreign tourists who prefer farang food, I actually never have met a foreign tourist who traveled with a suitcase full of farang food though.

You will have to dig a little, but there have been posts by TV members bleating on about how much stuff (food) they have brought back to Thailand
Yes, like myself I bring back a suitcase full of food and other items maybe once or twice a year from my home country. That is much different than someone bringing their own food when they go on vacation. You really can't see the difference?

There is no difference, both you and those Thais like food from your own country, so you take some with you.

The difference is that you're a farang immigrant and they're Thais on a business trip!

The difference is that not once have I ever brought farang food with me on vacation or a business trip. I have never seen a western person do this in my entire life of business and personal travel. I have seen many Asian people do this from several different countries.

I eat the food that is available in the country I am visiting. That is part of the travel experience.

Imagine the absolute outrage if the tourists happened to be Chinese...

Visiting Thailand, you mean? Yes, when it comes to cleanliness being next to godliness, the Thais are towards the back of the queue. Another law, laid down by the BMA, is rarely, if ever, enforced - unless you're a foreign visitor. Then the fine for dumping rubbish in the capital is $100.

I also find it ridiculous that they evidently have to bring their own supplies of sticky rice and grilled pork from 8,000+ km away (the tag on the carton says BKK-ZRH), otherwise they probably would starve to death, because Swiss food is oh so terrible - not.

Probably because street food carts over there don't sell sticky rice and pork at the waterfalls. If they did, the Thais wouldn't need to take their own.

If you cannot survive on local food while on an overseas trip lasting a few days, you better should stay home. I think it's one of the great pleasures of traveling to explore and discover the local food.

You think.. ah cultural superiority raises its ugly head again. Different cultures different values, but of course white skinned people are always right. Thai religious rituals are ridiculed while Christians believed someone came back from the dead. All things that don't conform to OUR way of thinking is wrong. cheesy.gif Different does not mean wrong, shows actually that your quite inflexible yourself.

OK, let them be treated according to their own values and customs. Force them to apologise to the Swiss nation on television, surrounded by at least a dozen stern looking Swiss police officers.

Be fair Lads; every Thai 'leader' they have had in recent years tells them to go forth into the world and spread 'Thainess' in abundance. This includes chucking trash everywhere like you do at home, working on the dark side in Thai Restaurants and purposely overstaying your visa.

Knowing how prim and proper the Swiss can be, and assuming the coach driver being Swiss, somehow cant see this being the driver somehow..

And sorry to say in Thailandthis MO fits, been to many tourist spots in Thailand and seen the locals just dumping stuff when finished with it

So with all things being equal, could driver have dumped this ?..yes but the higher probability sits with the tourists

The driver can be from any EU nationality i guess. Most Thai visit 7 EU countries in like 4 days. They sit in the coach ALL DAY long....And even bring their own cheap food it seems....maybe it's time for some attitude adjustment?

As this was a corporate trip from Thailand to Switzerland the driver would most likely be Swiss and not an EU driver.

You might be right but the company was paying so why not also visit Rome or Paris?

In my building there is a garbage area with a huge plastic bin with a lid on it, and a sign in Thai and English saying Do not put trash on the floor. Put trash it in the bin.

I have seen a number of different Thai occupants put bags of rubbish in the corner of the room on the floor, as far as it is possible to get from the bin provided. Why?

It smells, it attracts insects and it looks bad. Yet they prefer to do this. Baffling.

its a face thing, they don't like being told what to do

kind of a mini rebellious act

or the thai explanation, its to give others less fortunate work to clean up after them

Thai girlfriend and myself went to Khonkaen to visit her relatives during a holiday, one of her nieces bought an ice cream and just took the cover and throw behind her, the move was so natural it's like a muscle train to do that all her life.

The sad and odd part she was wearing one of these.

customoko-save-mother-earth-tshirt-featu

I also find it ridiculous that they evidently have to bring their own supplies of sticky rice and grilled pork from 8,000+ km away (the tag on the carton says BKK-ZRH), otherwise they probably would starve to death, because Swiss food is oh so terrible - not.

Probably because street food carts over there don't sell sticky rice and pork at the waterfalls. If they'd did, the Thais wouldn't need to take their own.

If you cannot survive on local food while on an overseas trip lasting a few days, you better should stay home. I think it's one of the great pleasures of traveling to explore and discover the local food.

I agree with you, but I don't think they took all their food for their entire trip. They probably already knew that unlike in Thailand, that the waterfall street food in Switzerland wasn't as good as in Thailand, and probably unavailable so this was a snack.

Plus let's face it Thai food is one of the worlds great cuisines and popular all over the world. Not so many Swiss restaurants outside of Switzerland.

I live in Thailand, but not all my meals are Thai food. But I don't often eat Aussie food here, because like Swiss food, it is average at best, so no one really opens Aussie restaurants. And if they do, they usually fail. Because it isn't popular. Thai food is.

Edited by Roomuck

Probably because street food carts over there don't sell sticky rice and pork at the waterfalls. If they'd did, the Thais wouldn't need to take their own.

I agree with you, but I don't think they took all their food for their entire trip. They probably already knew that unlike in Thailand, that the waterfall street food in Switzerland wasn't as good as in Thailand, and probably unavailable so this was a snack.

Plus let's face it Thai food is one of the worlds great cuisines and popular all over the world. Not so many Swiss restaurants outside of Switzerland.

I live in Thailand, but not all my meals are Thai food. But I don't often eat Aussie food here, because like Swiss food, it is average at best, so no one really opens Aussie restaurants. And if they do, they usually fail. Because it isn't popular. Thai food is.

It seems like you're only one of very few posters on this thread that actually understood what happened.

Like I mentioned earlier, this food was specifically for breakfast as the flight landed at 6.50 am and the group went straight to the Rhinefalls. They would have had their "breakfast" on the plane at about 4 am and lunch would have been at 12.30 pm or so. Along the way from Zurich airport to the Rhinefalls, there would not have been any restaurants opened for them to have breakfast. The only realistic option for them to have breakfast would have been at a hotel near the airport but this is normally not practical for tour groups due to budget and timing reasons.

I can also assure you that apart from this sticky rice and grilled pork, the group would also be travelling with many, many boxes of cup noodles, Tom Yum flavioured as well as cans and cans of Thai chilli paste to make some of the "bland" European food tastier.

You might be right but the company was paying so why not also visit Rome or Paris?

It depends on whether this is a mono destination (Swiss) tour or multiple countries. If it is only Switzerland, then almost likely the driver would be Swiss due to cabotage issues. If however the tour incorporates either Italy or France (it would be one or the other and not both), then chances are that the driver would be of a nationality other than Swiss.

Is it any more rediculous than the posts i have read on TV were the all knowing farangs are bringing back suitcases of food to Thailand from their own countries ?

Can't get Vegemite in Mukdahan, or corned beef.

This might sound weird, but I have lived here 15 years and see almost no littering. I live in the sticks, but 30 km from a large city. No litter in either location.

Sounds weird to me. Sure your in Thailand? :-)

Some people are simply in denial, and see only what they want to see. 15 years and sees almost no rubbish... go get your eyes tested, either that or he's a liar.

This might sound weird, but I have lived here 15 years and see almost no littering. I live in the sticks, but 30 km from a large city. No litter in either location.

Some people are simply in denial, and see only what they want to see. 15 years and sees almost no rubbish... go get your eyes tested, either that or he's a liar.

Some city's/villages are very clean, they even can have wide clean perfect pavements without streetvendors.

In BKK that's hard to find though.

Some city's/villages are very clean, they even can have wide clean perfect pavements without streetvendors.

In BKK that's hard to find though.

deckape did say in 15 years.

I've said many times, my #1 complaint about Thailand is the littering. It's just awful.

That's because there are hardly any litter bins around.

When do you ever see litter bins in a market for example.

In our Isaan village there are NO trash cans available. What would be the point of that because there is NO trash pick up. So more burning of trash including plastic.

Maybe Thais don't even know what a trash can aka bin is or what to do with it. But the litter in Thailand is certainly appalling to most of us X pats. No "developed country" here.

kangaroo steaks and sausages aren't that popular outside of Australia. I have to bring them back with me.

I have scolded many a Thai, for leaving trash. Or deliberately picked up their trash, in front of them, and placed it is a bin. Their faces usually turn beet red! It is alot of fun to watch. It was as if they knew they had done something wrong, but they either could not control themselves, or did not care. Don't you care about Thailand, I ask? Do you not want your country to look beautiful? The looks on their faces is priceless.

Also, at least part of the issue is the extreme lack of bins nationwide. I have been walking in Bangkok for 15 minutes of more, with refuse in my hands, looking for a bin.

Eventually, Thailand will develop an awareness of environmental issues. As of now, most seem oblivious. When I ask them NOT to put my stuff into a plastic bag, they look at my like I am from another planet. When I ask them to use a plastic bag to put my to go food into, rather than a styrofoam box, which I detest, they also look at me like I am an alien from another planet. Why don't you want the plastic? Plastic is wonderful. And best of all, it is free! No, it is not free. The environmental price is very high!

Question: How did the Thai's bring in to Switzerland these food products?

The importation of goods of animal origin from other countries (e.g. Turkey) is generally prohibited.

I'm not surprised a Thai Financial services & products firm would be implicated. It's the nature of the industry isn't it?

In Thailand there are armies of sweepers going round cleaning up the litter. That's the system. People drop their rubbish, the ladies in blue come by and sweep it up. I don't see much litter left lying around. The place is reasonably clean.

Perhaps the Thai tourists thought Switzerland would be just as efficient...

Question: How did the Thai's bring in to Switzerland these food products?

The importation of goods of animal origin from other countries (e.g. Turkey) is generally prohibited.

I'm not surprised a Thai Financial services & products firm would be implicated. It's the nature of the industry isn't it?

Not sure where you got that info from but a lot of Swiss residents (particularly those living close to the German and Austrian borders) do their weekly shops across the border and are allowed to bring in a limited amount of meat products, either cooked or raw. I think the amount is about 500 gms - 1 kg per person. Reason is because prices are 30-40% cheaper than in a Swiss supermarket.