Phuket Immigration mulls kids caught in overstay blacklist ban

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story about government officials taking the law into their own hands is not new. I've had this problem with my son, born in Thailand, of Thai mother, when Thai nationality was denied on them. Until he reached 15 years, each time we travelled they would ask for a visa when we re-entered the country and I had to go the the higher echelon immigration official to let my son in. Same at departure when they tried to fine him for overstaying. The officials all know the rule, but it's a way to shake the foreigners who don't know it. Expect a huge chaos now that the law has been enacted.

Quite so, but someone has to pay for the patronage it cost to get Immigration Officer Terdsak his sinecure, and Johnnie Foreigner is traditionally the one to front up.

I think it's time for all us farangs to move on , I have never overstayed in my 10 years of living here but every year I find the renewal of the extension of stay gets harder and harder, is it only me who think that the higher echelons of Thailand would rather see us all pack our bags !!!!!!

Explain why it is harder.

Actually non of this happens by accident. Slowly the screws are being turned. They are "making their moves".

The subtext to so-called "Farangs", "time to collect your dependents and go back to where you came from".

If you believe every thing on this forum,paranoia and fear will eventually set in.I would be happy for all the sad,hard done by foreigners to go back.Leave the country to me and a few happy souls that actually enjoy life here.

Kap Cheong immigration didn't want to give my daughter a new visa in her new passport (the old one had expired) they stated that she didn't need one until she was 15.

I am going to sort this out anyway, and get a new education visa, for a different reason, but this shows the unbelievable (almost) ridiculous variation between what various offices decide.

What is the law?

See post #6.

I'd believe UJ,before some report on TVF.

I think it's time for all us farangs to move on , I have never overstayed in my 10 years of living here but every year I find the renewal of the extension of stay gets harder and harder, is it only me who think that the higher echelons of Thailand would rather see us all pack our bags !!!!!!

well then, i guess this is goodbye.

it is so very rare that the sound of music is relevant to much of anything, but in this situation it seems strangely poignant.

i hope you move on with a song in your heart.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall

And the bells in the steeple too.

And up in the nursery, an absurd little bird

Is popping up to say, "Cuckoo cuckoo!"

Regretfully they tell us but firmly they compel us

To say goodbye to you.

So long, farewell,auf wiedersehen, good night.

I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.

So long, farewell auf wiedersehen, adieu

Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu.

So long, farewell, au revoir, auf wiedersehen.

I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne

Yes?

"no."

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye

I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye

I'm glad to go, I cannot tell a lie

I flit, I float, I fleetly flee, I fly

The sun has gone to bed and so must I

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye

(Adults)

Goodbye

No idea whether it's the immigration office in Phuket or the interpretation by P News:

it would not be the first time that groundless rumor or simple misinterpretation have been spread through this channel.

Immigration will not say if children will be included on a blacklist.

So what are children on overstay meant to do?

Oh dad we are on overstay, you stay in Thailand i am off, because i do not want to be on overstay.

I don't really read the story that way. The reporter apparently grabbed some random officer at Immigration (in Phuket?) and asked him if children were included, and he apparently replied something like, "What are you talking about? I don't know anything about it," and then the reporter wrote that he refused to confirm or deny that the report came from Immigration.

Why would kids under 14 care about being banned from Thailand for one year? If their parents are banned they aren't likely to want to make the trip themselves anyway.

I can't see the problem. Everyone adults and children should have the correct visa and leave before the visa expires. Children would normally be travelling with parents anyway, so parents would be responsible for making sure they have the correct documentation for them and the child. There should be no excuse on this overstay stuff and I can't see why so many on here complain about it. If you have a 30 day visa then you can only stay for 30 days. If you have a 60 day visa then you stay for 60 days and either extend for another 30 or leave. Are you seriously that stupid to think you can just stay longer?

My experiences with Bangkok Immigration so far have been largely positive. The only negatives have been mostly due to my own errors.
Exceptions; I was denied a non-immigrant visa when I went in on 29 Feb, with a visa expiring on 14 March. By my count I had fifteen days remaining, but it seems the last day is considered already expired, or some such. Might also have had something to do with my getting in to the officer at only ten minutes before her lunch break. One could see that she was definitely distracted.
I could have/would have gone in the week before had I known. Oh, yes, she mumbled something about my overstay....four days, which I had settled up on the previous extension.... I think she meant that if I had not goofed on that I would have had another four days.....
Anyway after a fairly interesting and not too expensive one day trip to Kuala Lumpur to get a thirty day exemption on return, my next experience was quite good. I will note something which I consider odd... I was required to leave the cubicle and go downstairs to get a copy of my embassy income affidavit.... not required to wait again, "Come right back...", then watch in suppressed amazement as she made copies of some other documents using her desk copier.
Anyway, most helpful, and smiling as she explained the next steps to papa farang, who is obviously no longer that sharp. thumbsup.gif

Wow.

This is very similar to what's happening in the U.S. Presidential campaign.

Stop, accuse, define.

Children are children.

But in Thailand, that only applies if you're right. Thai.

We all have the same problem.

We all love Thailand.

At times more than the indigenous.

The choice becomes, eat dirt.

But in the future....After all the dust settles....Not in our life time.

Thailand will become what Thailand advertising says it is;

Amazing.

I can't see the problem. Everyone adults and children should have the correct visa and leave before the visa expires. Children would normally be travelling with parents anyway, so parents would be responsible for making sure they have the correct documentation for them and the child. There should be no excuse on this overstay stuff and I can't see why so many on here complain about it. If you have a 30 day visa then you can only stay for 30 days. If you have a 60 day visa then you stay for 60 days and either extend for another 30 or leave. Are you seriously that stupid to think you can just stay longer?

...and if the parent doesn't have the money to pay overstay, does the kid get put in prison with Nigerian gang members awaiting deportation? Now do you see the problem?

The problem that most people have with it is not that they think children should not have a visa, it is that they are trying to apply adult Laws to children.

A country is going down a very slippery path when it starts applying adult laws to children. In any case this will not happen as large laws will have to be rewritten, as children below a certain age are exempt from any criminal prosecution and no caveats for that most serious of crime of overstaying your visa.

Civilized countries don't apply adult laws to children.

Well of course you are entitled to your opinion - but I'm not sure why you think 'all of us' should move on.... If you are unhappy with the situation and finding that your visa renewals are now so hard that it is a problem, then you shouldn't just be thinking about moving on - you should actually be making plans to do so. If you don't you will forever remain part of your problem rather than part of your solution.

I'm sure it is not only you who thinks that the higher echelons of Thailand would rather see us all go - there are plenty of paranoiacs here on TV who doubtless feel the same. Equally there are plenty of us who feel that the toughening of visa laws is not driven by xenophobia and bigotry - but simply an attempt to curb the numbers of people who currently either abuse the system, or simply ignore it completely.

Edited by Shadychris

This rumour originated with an "official" face book announcement in Chiang Mai ...................

The Phuket rumour seems to been kicked off using "Line" or some other so called social rubbish/muck spreading network

The amusing part is how easily these rumours are swallowed and eagerly regurgitated by the paranoid Thai bashers !

Why did you plan your flight to the very last day? ( interesting but so many people seem to do this). Also I hear many people planning to overstay one or two days. Why? Perhaps if a stiff fine alternatively a minimum sentence to Gaol was mandated they would not be so impudent.

Edited by arunsakda

...and if the parent doesn't have the money to pay overstay, does the kid get put in prison with Nigerian gang members awaiting deportation? Now do you see the problem?

The problem that most people have with it is not that they think children should not have a visa, it is that they are trying to apply adult Laws to children.

A country is going down a very slippery path when it starts applying adult laws to children. In any case this will not happen as large laws will have to be rewritten, as children below a certain age are exempt from any criminal prosecution and no caveats for that most serious of crime of overstaying your visa.

Read what I said again.... Children would normally be travelling with parents anyway, so parents would be responsible for making sure they have the correct documentation for them and the child. The parents would need to pay the fine. As for the rest of it, people know how long they can stay so there is absolutely no excuse for overstay. Book the holiday according to the length of the visa. If you are staying and living here, then get the proper visa. If you are the parent, you are responsible for getting everything in order for the child as well if not all parties will be blacklisted. When I take my family back to my country of nationality to visit family, they have the correct visa and we leave before it expires. If not they are in the country illegally and would face deportation. And yes if you have a look at the immigration detention centres in Australia, UK and US they all have children in there as well.

Edited by Phuketboy

Which countries do you know that do not require visas for "children" from visa-national countries?

Actually non of this happens by accident. Slowly the screws are being turned. They are "making their moves".

The subtext to so-called "Farangs", "time to collect your dependents and go back to where you came from".

The regulations, despite being confusedly applied or interpreted, state as being applied to all "aliens".

Nothing selectively implied about "farang".

would be nice to see a mass exodus and then see what the reaction is. Be similar to that when the tsunami hit Phuket. Before no one bothered if foreigners came or not until they didnt then they cared. Thailand does not deserve to be considered as a place for expats it does not give them any consideration at all except for taking their money

Which countries do you know that do not require visas for "children" from visa-national countries?

The problem is not what the law is but the fact that every official makes his / her interpretation of what they want it to be. The top man should issue clear instructions that theey are are required to follow. Go to a few consulates and you will find they all do as they want not what the law states

Oh dad we are on overstay, you stay in Thailand i am off, because i do not want to be on overstay.

That was a rather ill-conceived thought; yet it got several likes; hmmm?

It would seem if your child is on overstay it is your fault. If your child is not allowed into country; then I suggest you move on, since you ignored Thai laws.

Until now children on overstay were exempt from fines/punishment. Looks like that may change.

Strange though a local immigration office is mulling something like this in stead of a general directive being announced.

It has been in my experience working in immigration that some parents have been fined (usually 2000 baht) on behalf of their children's overstay at the point of departure from Thailand. Many parents in the past were informed from numerous (mostly ignorant) sources that children were exempt from fines and did not even require an extension of whatever visa they held on entry. This is simply untrue. All foreigners, adult or juvenile, who enter Thailand for long stay reasons need a non immigrant visa on arrival and also must report to immigration if and when required.

Until now children on overstay were exempt from fines/punishment. Looks like that may change.

Strange though a local immigration office is mulling something like this in stead of a general directive being announced.

It has been in my experience working in immigration that some parents have been fined (usually 2000 baht) on behalf of their children's overstay at the point of departure from Thailand. Many parents in the past were informed from numerous (mostly ignorant) sources that children were exempt from fines and did not even require an extension of whatever visa they held on entry. This is simply untrue. All foreigners, adult or juvenile, who enter Thailand for long stay reasons need a non immigrant visa on arrival and also must report to immigration if and when required.

A scaremongering post based on hearsay "evidence" .

pdf.gif overstayorderE_1.2558.pdf 40.82KB

Children are not subject to overstay fines !