Phuket Immigration mulls kids caught in overstay blacklist ban

webfact

Phuket Immigration mulls kids caught in overstay blacklist ban
The Phuket News

1458131792_1-org.jpg
Phuket Immigration has yet to announce whether or not children will be caught in the blacklist ban that will come into effect on Sunday (Mar 20). Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- Officers at Phuket Immigration next week will publicly announce whether or not they will include children in the blacklist ban on re-entry on all “aliens” who overstay in the country, which comes into effect on Sunday (March 20).

The news follows a notice – circulated via a Line group directly linked to Phuket Immigration – plainly stating: “it is not acceptable for children under 14 years old not to have a visa. If your child is under 14 years old and has no visa, you must apply for a visa by 20th Of March 2016.

“If they get caught without a visa, they will be banned from Thailand for a minimum of 1 year,” the notice read.

Phuket Immigration Col Sunchai Chokkajaykij yesterday and today (Mar 15-16) has been unavailable for comment on the issue.

A senior-ranking officer at Phuket Immigration, who specifically asked not to be publicly identified in this report, would not confirm or deny whether the notice was issued by Phuket Immigration staff.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-mulls-kids-caught-in-overstay-blacklist-ban-56628.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-17

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immigration will not say if children will be included on a blacklist.

So what are children on overstay meant to do?

Oh dad we are on overstay, you stay in Thailand i am off, because i do not want to be on overstay.

Oh dad we are on overstay, you stay in Thailand i am off, because i do not want to be on overstay.

Until now children on overstay were exempt from fines/punishment. Looks like that may change.

Strange though a local immigration office is mulling something like this in stead of a general directive being announced.

I dont see why kids should be exempt from overstay - they should have visa like everyone else.

However, for children under 18, it should be the parents that should be punished if they are not responsible enough to abide by Thailand's immigration rules and make sure their kids have the correct documentation.

I think it's time for all us farangs to move on , I have never overstayed in my 10 years of living here but every year I find the renewal of the extension of stay gets harder and harder, is it only me who think that the higher echelons of Thailand would rather see us all pack our bags !!!!!!

I think it's time for all us farangs to move on , I have never overstayed in my 10 years of living here but every year I find the renewal of the extension of stay gets harder and harder, is it only me who think that the higher echelons of Thailand would rather see us all pack our bags !!!!!!

I agree with your feelings, I do agree with these overstay laws finally as those who did the right thing had to spend more to do it than just pay a silly fine, but generally, things are getting harder.

Kap Cheong immigration didn't want to give my daughter a new visa in her new passport (the old one had expired) they stated that she didn't need one until she was 15.

I am going to sort this out anyway, and get a new education visa, for a different reason, but this shows the unbelievable (almost) ridiculous variation between what various offices decide.

What is the law?

Looks like the communication line with Thai Immigration had a 'brown out'

All countries have visa conditions. The problem in Thailand is not the rules themselves but inconsistency in interpretation, enforcement and the frequency of changes.

This reflects poorly on the system of govenance and the officials responsible.

They should just include dependent kids under the age of 18 to be considered to have a visa if their parent has a visa (visa waiver of the length of the parents visa). Overstay and penalties should be for the parents, and the parents only.

You've been living here for that long and you are only realizing the last part of your post now........ (re higher echelons)

I only visit very irregularly and I have found the aspect you speak of has been prevailing in many circles for quite some time.

Interpretation has always been very subjective. I remember many years ago when you could if married to a Thai get a 3 month visa. I went to apply for a visa at the Riyadh Embassy and asked the person behind the counter if they could give me a 3 month visa s I was married to a Thai. He almost went crazy to the point that his boss came out of his office. I explained what the situation was and his reply was "do you have a marriage certificate?" yes I told him but not with me, back in my apartment. "No problem, bring it tomorrow and we ill have your passport ready for collection". Even within one office they cant agree

Kap Cheong immigration didn't want to give my daughter a new visa in her new passport (the old one had expired) they stated that she didn't need one until she was 15.

I am going to sort this out anyway, and get a new education visa, for a different reason, but this shows the unbelievable (almost) ridiculous variation between what various offices decide.

What is the law?

See post #6.

This story about government officials taking the law into their own hands is not new. I've had this problem with my son, born in Thailand, of Thai mother, when Thai nationality was denied on them. Until he reached 15 years, each time we travelled they would ask for a visa when we re-entered the country and I had to go the the higher echelon immigration official to let my son in. Same at departure when they tried to fine him for overstaying. The officials all know the rule, but it's a way to shake the foreigners who don't know it. Expect a huge chaos now that the law has been enacted.

Edited by keskeseksa

All countries have visa conditions. The problem in Thailand is not the rules themselves but inconsistency in interpretation, enforcement and the frequency of changes.

Really? I thought the problem is that the rules are completely crap.

subject to change (daily) as with all directives, that why we don't know where the <deleted>> we are

where in the world do we hear of so many veriants

Not going to happen. Children under the age of 18 are exempt from the banning as stated in the Minister of Interior Order number 1/2558 See:

Immigration laws should be decided and enforced on a national basis...individual offices should not be making these decisions. The same thinking should apply to Thai embassies and consulates around the world. Rules need to be enforced on a consistent basis

Immigration laws should be decided and enforced on a national basis...individual offices should not be making these decisions. The same thinking should apply to Thai embassies and consulates around the world. Rules need to be enforced on a consistent basis

No doubt in my mind they will be decided and enforced on a national basis. I think this to be just a rumour.

What is the law?

doesnt matter what the law is its what the officer on the day decides.......nuts!