Chinese crane truck crash injury victims recovering in Phuket hospital

webfact

Chinese crane truck crash injury victims recovering in Phuket hospital
Darawan Naknakhon

1458184476_1-org.jpg
The crane driver, 32 year old Suttipong Promthong told police that he came out of the company premises onto bypass and was heading north when he heard a loud bang behind his truck.

PHUKET: -- Two of the three Chinese women injured last Saturday (Mar 12) when the taxi they were travelling in crashed into the back of a crane truck on bypass road are still in hospital recovering from their injuries.

Lt Col Sakchai Chunyong who was called to investigate the incident in front of Kittichai Yota on bypass road, and which left the taxi driver dead said, “Three Chinese women were injured in the accident and taken to Vachira Hospital along with the body of the taxi driver that morning.”

The three Chinese women were named as Miss Zhu Ting, 26, who suffered only minor injuries; Miss Zhao Chunyan, 26, who suffered a broken right leg, and Miss Yang Yulia, 25, who suffered a broken left leg .

“Miss Zhao and Miss Yang are still recovering in the hospital, while Miss Zhu was discharged last weekend,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-crane-truck-crash-injury-victims-recovering-in-phuket-hospital-56640.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-17

It would appear that the crane driver did the same as thousands of Thais do everyday, pulled out without looking.

Sad for the taxi drivers family. He was just doing his job trying to make a living.

Not looking, no care.

Indicators either off or laughable red "cat eyes" impossible to see in sunlight.

Cost a me a violent braking just some weeks ago.

It would appear that the crane driver did the same as thousands of Thais do everyday, pulled out without looking.

Sad for the taxi drivers family. He was just doing his job trying to make a living.

Look at the previous news report ...

Our initial investigations have revealed that the taxi driver tried to overtake a vehicle on the inside lane and crashed into the rear of a slow-moving crane, said Lt Col Sakchai Chunyong of the Phuket City Police.

- See more at: http://www.phuketgaz...sion#ad-image-0

We've all had idiots flying out in front of us from left side streets without looking to see if there was a gap.

But this time it wasn't a gaggle of 14yo schoolboys on a scooter, it was a large, heavy and presumably slow moving, crane.

It wouldn't have whipped out in front of traffic like a yaba dealer running from the police, by definition the maneuver would have been slow and cumbersome.

Other reports stated the impact was 40 metres from the place where the crane entered the road. The machine didn't just suddenly appear in front of the taxi leaving it with no stopping room.

For me, the most logical explanation was that the taxi was trying to pass another vehicle on the inside, before jumping back into the center lane. Either he badly misjudged the speed of the crane or the other driver wouldn't let him back in.

Crap driving either way.

No statements from the passengers?

We've all had idiots flying out in front of us from left side streets without looking to see if there was a gap.

But this time it wasn't a gaggle of 14yo schoolboys on a scooter, it was a large, heavy and presumably slow moving, crane.

It wouldn't have whipped out in front of traffic like a yaba dealer running from the police, by definition the maneuver would have been slow and cumbersome.

Other reports stated the impact was 40 metres from the place where the crane entered the road. The machine didn't just suddenly appear in front of the taxi leaving it with no stopping room.

For me, the most logical explanation was that the taxi was trying to pass another vehicle on the inside, before jumping back into the center lane. Either he badly misjudged the speed of the crane or the other driver wouldn't let him back in.

Crap driving either way.

No statements from the passengers?

Yes, could be he was overtaking on the inside lane, a legal manouver. And if the crane decided to merge onto the road while he was overtaking, lets say 100 km/hour (legal limit there 90?), he would be at the crane in no time, not giving him any time to take an evasive manouver.

I don't know what happened, but without some more information there are multiple possibilities.

I wasn't arguing the legalities of overtaking on the inside Steven.

My point is that such a large, slow moving vehicle, which came out of a right angle side road, not a merging road, 40 metres back from the impact point, would have been highly visible, would have completed it's turn, and been on the main road for a reasonable time before the impact.

In my opinion, the taxi would have had sufficient time to brake, or maneuver around.

Feel free to disagree.

I wasn't arguing the legalities of overtaking on the inside Steven.

My point is that such a large, slow moving vehicle, which came out of a right angle side road, not a merging road, 40 metres back from the impact point, would have been highly visible, would have completed it's turn, and been on the main road for a reasonable time before the impact.

In my opinion, the taxi would have had sufficient time to brake, or maneuver around.

Feel free to disagree.

Maybe, I'm just not sure. These things can go really fast, and if nowhere to go ...

And yes, he could have been speeding, he could have fallen asleep, quite a few other options as well. I'm just not discarding the possibility that the crane driver came onto the road without any regard for other traffic.