More suspected corrupt Thai police transferred in continuing crackdown

webfact

It's ramping up!! Only a matter of time till it kicks off !

What is 'ramping up'?

What is going to 'kick off'?

Please do enlighten us, oh all knowing one.

"Ramping up" the purge on the opposition? "Only a matter of time before this kicks off" a backlash from the opposition? Maybe?!?

Exactly !!

And as for WhizBang I'm far from being a all knowing one but it doesn't take much working out that this constant purge on Police by the Army is not fostering good relations between both parties. They have never seen eye to eye for lots of reasons so resentment for the increase in bringing members of the RTP to task when there doesn't seem anyone from the other organisation being similarly charged is going to cause problems very shortly if not already. I hope it doesn't has both parties have guns!! And guns and Thais don't go together well...I would imagine the fact that the Army has more might be,shall we say, a calming influence but there's only so much that they will take as loss of face is going to come into the equation... Of course this might not happen but won't be surprised if it does....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I move rotting garbage from one corner of kitchen to another corner, somehow the stink still remains.

Not exactly true.

It's hard for them to go on scamming in a completely new place from scratch.

Especially when everyone has their eyes on them.

This makes as much sense as the crazy Indian who cut off one end of his blanket and sewed it on the other end to make it longer.blink.png

That, in actuality was a reference to an observation supposedly made by a "crazy Indian," during a vain attempt at apprehending the sense behind such concepts as, "Daylight Saving Time," among others. It went something like this, "Only the White Man would think you could make a blanket longer by cutting six inches from the bottom, and sewing it to the top..." or words to that effect.

Edited by Songlaw

A shame Uncle Too is too busy reforming the state lottery to do anything about the police!

No, he is busy deceiving Thai people about democracy, reconciliation, corruption, transparency and the role of the media.

Please stick to the facts.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are thousands of cops in Thailand who wakes up every single morning and the first and only thing they think about is collecting money from people, planning scams, setting people up, drug deals and other illegal activities, while almost every other cop do not focus on illegal activities, but still do something illegal everyday.

I doubt there are many percent of all the cops in Thailand who never or rarely gets involved in any wrongdoing.

Just imagine how different, how much better it would be in Thailand if all the cops were Scandinavian cops...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"but still do something illegal everyday".

I do something illegal every day, I really do.

If you want to make sure you obey every rule and law, you may as well just stay in your bed in the morning.

I don't know if Thailand's police force has an internal affairs dept,

I suspect not,and if they do,they are not doing a good job,they

need honest (i know,difficult) investigators,along with the tax man,

to run a fine tooth comb over these suspect coppers,starting at

the top,as thats where most of the corrupt money ends up,and

clean house,don't know who has the balls to do this,but it needs doing.

regards Worgeordie

Don't need such elaborate setups. Just look into cases of buying and selling promotions.

You think promotions are the problem? It's just a little bigger than that, we are talking massive corruption that allows; the theft of oil, people trafficking, drug smuggling and other such like, I think it would be a better idea to audit all the high ranking police, and army for that matter.

Fully agree. Its the top ranks that would be either setting it up or taking their cut. The little ones are only foot soldiers. Just disband the groups and split them up

The first thing to do to become a police man is bribe; they have to pay to get their job...same as teachers. ... "Thainess"...

I was a teacher and I never paid anything to get my job, if you are referring to the work permit,

the school paid for it.

What is 'ramping up'?

What is going to 'kick off'?

Please do enlighten us, oh all knowing one.

"Ramping up" the purge on the opposition? "Only a matter of time before this kicks off" a backlash from the opposition? Maybe?!?

Exactly !!

And as for WhizBang I'm far from being a all knowing one but it doesn't take much working out that this constant purge on Police by the Army is not fostering good relations between both parties. They have never seen eye to eye for lots of reasons so resentment for the increase in bringing members of the RTP to task when there doesn't seem anyone from the other organisation being similarly charged is going to cause problems very shortly if not already. I hope it doesn't has both parties have guns!! And guns and Thais don't go together well...I would imagine the fact that the Army has more might be,shall we say, a calming influence but there's only so much that they will take as loss of face is going to come into the equation... Of course this might not happen but won't be surprised if it does....

<snip - flame removed>

well i got to tell you, i went to the opening day ceremony of the Rajabhakti Park down here in Hua Hin. The security people were dressed in full SWAT team gear with rifles similar to a MP5 at the ready. Of course that is to be expected at large gathering of VIPs. (mostly military.) The "police" were sort of out in the parking lot. But for me, it was the first time I saw professional looking soldiers with real tactical gear and comms in Thailand, not a guy with a vest that says "security", a whistle and a parachute metal. smile.png so, when does the shooting start?

Well, we all know when the shooting will start. But we're not allowed to say it here.

My old Thai teacher predicted it some 20+ years ago (he must be dead now). I now realise how right he probably was.

Edited by Lannig

"National police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda said he had ordered that every unit transfer officers allegedly linked with influential people involved in 16 offences."

"The 16 offences include illegal money lending; bid collusion; illegal fee collection from motorcycle taxis; entertainment and service business establishments violating laws;

illegal goods (including gasoline) traders; gambling-den operators; prostitution; migrant worker traffickers; duping people with faulty promises of jobs abroad;

tourist exploitation; guns-for-hire businesses; illegal debt collection services; war weapons trade; encroachment on public land; bribe-taking on highways and public places;

and drug trafficking."

"He said the police officers who were involved in these offences would have the chance to return to their earlier posts if they come clean about their wrongdoings." blink.png

"We have to be fair to them too,'' he said.

http://www.nationmul...m-30281776.html

Every year we read about hundreds of officials being "transferred to inactive posts, pending investigation". But I can count on one hand the reports about such officials being convicted and imprisoned. This suggests to me, that the government either lacks the will, or the systemic integrity to effectively curb graft and corruption in its ranks.

Every Thai and farang knew this for years and now after the Junta in control for two years they finally figure it u out. Two years just in Bangkok but how many more years for Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Life never changes in Thailand!

This is a story of the two sides in Thailand. On one side you have the Military (the instigators of the coup) and on the other you have the Thaksin supporting police. With the Military in power they will try to break the police stranglehold and deep rooted corruption. After the next democratic election the police will re-take control and the witch hunt will be on for the military which also has it's fair share of corruption. This will continue until hell freezes over I am afraid

regards Worgeordie

Don't need such elaborate setups. Just look into cases of buying and selling promotions.

You think promotions are the problem? It's just a little bigger than that, we are talking massive corruption that allows; the theft of oil, people trafficking, drug smuggling and other such like, I think it would be a better idea to audit all the high ranking police, and army for that matter.

And who would run those forces then? Part of the problem is the corruption is rampant. You get rid of one and their are 10 more waiting to take over to do the same job.

As it stands there is rarely any real consequence and so the next in line will take that small risk and make themselves wealthy, but put them in prison for long sentences and then the next in command might reconsider. Taking their assets and locking them up, making examples of corrupt officials from the top down, is the only way to end this madness.

The first thing to do to become a police man is bribe; they have to pay to get their job...same as teachers. ... "Thainess"...

I was a teacher and I never paid anything to get my job, if you are referring to the work permit,

the school paid for it.

Some schools take bribes for jobs and promotions: your anecdote, which presumably refers to a TEFL job, is not relevant.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are thousands of cops in Thailand who wakes up every single morning and the first and only thing they think about is collecting money from people, planning scams, setting people up, drug deals and other illegal activities, while almost every other cop do not focus on illegal activities, but still do something illegal everyday.

I doubt there are many percent of all the cops in Thailand who never or rarely gets involved in any wrongdoing.

Just imagine how different, how much better it would be in Thailand if all the cops were Scandinavian cops...

You really believe that???

Obviously you have never followed the Julian Assange of WikiLeaks case and the Sweden judiciary. It is as corrupt as any other and not only Thailand. Thailand maybe worse than others but today start 21st century there isn't a judiciary anymore in the world that is CLEAN. Maybe you should enroll in a 3-4 -year Law course at a Law University to get your J.D. that stands for Juristic Doctor, it sure did open my eyes and my look at what goes on in the world has NEVER since been of the innocent kind believing what FOX News spiels the Jo Blow six-pack coach potatoes.

I have to wonder at the number of posters here whowere clueless as to the cooruption in Thailand but chose to live here any way but now spend hours and hours worrying about it

I have to agree with you.

20 years ago I was quite unaware of this magnitude of corruption, nepotism and injustice.

After 20 years, I know quite more.

You pay taxes and see your children sitting at the same school desks that existed 20 years ago.

You pay taxes and see exactly the same hospital equipment, like 20 years ago.

And you see the same corrupt faces, how they show up again and again to steal money from the public purse without even one is punished or put in prison.

Then you read about a list containing the names of more than 6000 mafia bosses.

Cops with links to mafia organisations, controlling drugs, gambling, involved in rackets including bribery in shops, entertainment venues, factories, offences related to immigration, extortion, trafficking, protection money, and so on.

And these corrupt officials can shamelessly show off their unexplained wealth.

These thieves and criminals have nothing to fear here.

No investigation, no police, no prosecutor, no court, no penalty, no jail, no tax audit, no confiscation of stolen assets.

If a society is not able to bring their criminals behind bars, it is a failed society.

And if you like this country, that makes you even worry about the children and their future prospects,

and these are not rosy for many.

Edited by tomacht8

You really believe that???

Obviously you have never followed the Julian Assange of WikiLeaks case and the Sweden judiciary. It is as corrupt as any other and not only Thailand. Thailand maybe worse than others but today start 21st century there isn't a judiciary anymore in the world that is CLEAN. Maybe you should enroll in a 3-4 -year Law course at a Law University to get your J.D. that stands for Juristic Doctor, it sure did open my eyes and my look at what goes on in the world has NEVER since been of the innocent kind believing what FOX News spiels the Jo Blow six-pack coach potatoes.

Cut down on the heroin dude.

Norway, Sweden and Denmark is as corrupt as Thailand? Have you ever been to Thailand before? Have you been to any Scandinavian country before?

Because Sweden have had this Assange rape case, doesn't mean it reflect the whole Swedish justice system.

Assange is wanted for questioning about the rape accusation, he is not charged of anything. He do though risk getting extradited since he is also wanted by the US, a country Sweden has an extradition-agreement with.

I'm with you. It is fishy. In my opinion we should thank Assange for the great work he has done, not send him to the US where he risk being imprisoned for a long time.

Norway too, has recently been involved in some big corruption scandals in Asia (Yara International and Telenor/VimpelCom/Beeline) and if you read Wikileaks then there are more corruption cases then what the media talks about...

... but you really think the Scandinavian countries are as corrupt as Thailand?

Not even close.

But anyway, I was talking about the police, not the justice system, the gov or corporations.

The Scandinavian police can't be compared to the Thai police. Very kind, rarely involved in any wrongdoing, friendly, helpful, they encourage the public and the gov to criticize them to improve the little there are to improve...

There was a police chief in Norway who has an ongoing case about him helping a business man/criminal smuggling 24,000 kg of hashish and there was another policeman who killed a woman by throwing her over a bridge 2 years ago. While these cases are really bad, they are very rare. If you think you can bribe the police and ask them to protect your criminal activities, then you obviously don't know anything about the Scandinavian police. There's no crime-culture problem in the Scandinavian police. In Thailand it is a big crime-culture within the whole police sector, from bottom up to the top.

Thai police are crooks in comparison. They're even more criminal than the very most criminals in Scandinavian. The Scandinavian police are considered the kindest and most loved police in the world, as well as very professional.

Hold on.... celebrations and kudos are a bit premature I think. This is what I read:

"... policemen of several ranks had been identified as "blacklisted" and would be transferred for 30 days to government departments in the region while investigations into their activities take place."

"A special committee has been set up to review whether the officers should face criminal charges. "

Is this more "pie in the sky" Thainess? Or will there indeed be some ACTION/follow through/arrests/ incarcerations etc? lol From what I've seen of Lack of Sanctions.... just talk talk and more talk.

Your selective reading ignores SOP in every police dept I have knowledge of. To wit, suspected officers are suspended with pay while investigations are carried out; then if sufficient evidence is found they are charged. Only then may their pay be suspended, otherwise every crim in town would be laying false charges.

Here suspension doesn't involve a holiday, they are expected to report to work daily away from the investigation so they cannot impede it.

A shame Uncle Too is too busy reforming the state lottery to do anything about the police!

After repeated calls for police reform, when some reform appears to be happening you can't offer encouragement or suggest further steps? Instead a weak denial with an attempt to divert the topic.

regards Worgeordie

There are hardly any Thais in Thailand who value honesty as a character trait. They are by culture loose with the truth. There really is little hope for the society until there is something of a cultural revolution here. The entire societal fabric functions on lies and deceit.

After repeated calls for police reform, when some reform appears to be happening you can't offer encouragement or suggest further steps? Instead a weak denial with an attempt to divert the topic.

What reform is happening? Come on spell it out?

"...when some reform appears to be happening..."

Again, your naivety seems to be endless. I guess window dressing is all it takes for you. Don't you remember Uncle Too saying that reform of the police will be left to the next government?

"....you can't offer encouragement or suggest further steps?"

Offer encouragement...are you serious??? WRT further steps I have suggested them many times already:

Starting at the top do a full investigation of senior members of the police, armed forces and the judiciary, and prosecute to the full extent of the law any crimes. There won't be many left but that's OK since the rotten apples don't do much anyway.

"Instead a weak denial with an attempt to divert the topic."

I'm not diverting anything. There is window dressing going on but pointing out that it's just that is definitively on topic.

Are they being replaced by cops with ties to OTHER influential figures the government deems proper?

Yes of course. These transfers are only shifting the goal posts a little i.e. inactive police transferred to fill those posts that have been vacated by police moved to other inactive posts.rolleyes.gif