Poor handling of Pattaya Music Festival TRAFFIC

marmaduke

Another frustrating night in a row trying to navigate Central Pattaya with surprise street closings.

Ineptness with no bounds. The shortcuts were all closed so we had to go around again and again

which certainly added to the mess. Any comments?

(The Pattaya group, a Thai Facebook site has much discussion and complaints but its all in Thai)

What's the surprise? You already know there's a fest requiring street closures leading to the beach. End of.

It's also no surprise to the police force that there is a "fest", so they can plan the right measure years in advance, because this event runs for many years already.

Only a bunch of imbeciles are not able to direct traffic.

Because beach road is blocked doesn't mean all traffic towards that direction should be obstructed. At the roundabout traffic is supposed to go towards Naklua, but of course if you don't enforce traffic rules on Naklua road you will end up with a huge traffic jam there.

Edited by TheCruncher

It was obviously going to be a traffic nightmare. Sensible people just stayed away.

Sensible people have a traffic plan for an event that recurs every year. People lives go on, and all the everyday items they need are in that area.

It isn't rocket science that one has to clear roads from obstacles if one wants traffic flow.

By the way, Pattaya Nua isn't in central Pattaya, if you didn't notice yet.

One of the best moments when I visit Pattaya:

drive on the hotel parking lot, get my bags, lock the car and don't touch during the stay!

Scooter, Baht bus.

Big event on the beach?

Walk!!!

Only exceptions are some carefully planned early morning shopping trips to BigC extra and some other early opening shops.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Some amusing answers. Don't forget some of us have families and do what families do on the weekends. There are more families in Pattaya than people realize. Many answers may come from either single guys who just walk to the nearest bars when there bad traffic or they have motorbikes.

When the Pattaya police block routes that take us away from closed streets and force us back again into traffic its ludicrous. Yes simply staying home is always the solution. I just wonder after reading some answers how many people in the forum actually drive cars in Pattaya.

I just wonder after reading some answers how many people in the forum actually drive cars in Pattaya.

Other than driving to and from work (I live darkside so avoid Pattaya anyways) my only other driving (into Pattaya) is to Foodland on the weekends and I do this at 5am when the traffic is not a gridlock mess.

I hear a lot of people moaning here but no ne at all has offered an alternative way to direct traffic when beach road is closed, its simple there is not one.....so get over it

The alternative is to clear the escape routes from obstacles and don't close all exits.

For example, if you came from the roundabout towards Sukhumvit you were not allowed to turn to Big C but also not to 3rd road.

Tell me the purpose or efficiency of that.

I'm sure you can imagine how that obstructed traffic flow, since now drivers were using the u-turn that are for the other direction to get to big C or on 3rd road anyway.

The alternative is to clear the escape routes from obstacles and don't close all exits.

For example, if you came from the roundabout towards Sukhumvit you were not allowed to turn to Big C but also not to 3rd road.

Tell me the purpose or efficiency of that.

I'm sure you can imagine how that obstructed traffic flow, since now drivers were using the u-turn that are for the other direction to get to big C or on 3rd road anyway.

Well if people had proper discussions and brain storming sessions

Im sure all could be sorted out,

just the same as elsewhere giggle.gif

Edited by seedy
derogatory

As usual the wonderful members of Thai Visa somehow seem to forget that this town is not expressively run for the enjoyment of the Western visitors.

( oops I can't get to soi 6)

This event has been advertised for ages, it is hugely popular. Loads of people have come down from Bangkok.

Most residents know not to go into town for these few days.

The Thai youngsters really enjoy it.

As usual the wonderful members of Thai Visa somehow seem to forget that this town is not expressively run for the enjoyment of the Western visitors.

( oops I can't get to soi 6)

This event has been advertised for ages, it is hugely popular. Loads of people have come down from Bangkok.

Most residents know not to go into town for these few days.

The Thai youngsters really enjoy it.

Last time I looked lot of Thai people had business ventures in those areas that can'[t be reached now, frequented by Westerners and Thais alike.

Not sure if they agree with your rose colored views.

The traffic is not "expressively run for the enjoyment of the Western visitors" the majority of the cars are local people. Tour buses is a subject left out. The streets are not designed for larger vehicles. In fact many 2 way streets here are one lane wide. Only the main roads can really accommodate the buses. The buses drive nose to tail cutting off everyone in their path. I saw dozens and dozens of buses while stuck in traffic. The Pattaya growing pains are woefully apparent these days........ ...(OK Chang say something funny now,. Just joking bro)

How much do these events actually bring in to local businesses?

I only see the usual street stalls every time there's a 'fair' on the beach road, this year there seem to be commotion about police enforcing no unauthorized (paid) street vendor plying their trade in competition with the stalls that paid money to use the beach road during the concert.

Some hotels and restaurants and the minibus from Bangkok probably got some business, but my impression is that the Thai youths that visit these free concerts rarely spend.

And those that drove here there aren't enough carparks, Maybe Central appreciate having their carpark filled and people walking through... Just earlier this year when there was a privately held Maya music festival North of Naklua, they managed to find carpark and shuttle service to the event. The Annual music festival and the Christmas-Newyear concert seems to be that local businesses are supposed to 'chip in' and put up with disruptions and inconvenience

I'd be nice if city hall can justify how much they are spending in organizing these events and how much they think are bringing in to the economy.

/The promotion of the Concert seem to be less and less every year too, and It's become less 'international'

Why try to drive in Central Pattaya when you know its Music Festival weekend ?

I guess some just can't resist the urge for a whinge ?

You mean like peoples lives just stop for 3 days?

Life stops without a car? Really No just walk or maybe take a push bike out.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

Off topic one line Pattaya Bashing troll post removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Maybe I should have requested if you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation then don't.

As I mentioned earlier there were many complaints in the "Pattaya" webpage on Facebook but its all in Thai. Would love to hear what the locals were commenting on but can't read Thai. Saying, you should stay home, or don't drive, you should already know theres traffic are not considered constructive for those of you who do not understand. These silly answers are already known by anyone, they are useless.

Also I was hoping to hear from people who know local police, or anyone who knows what the police were trying to accomplish with the manner in which they diverted traffic. Even where a farang could post a complaint or just a point of view online which would be seen by someone controlling traffic.