Warning ! No Joke !

LaoPo

This is NO Joke !

New rules for hand baggage at all airports in the European Union

Effective November 6, 2006, new rules for the contents of hand baggage will apply for all airline passengers throughout the European Union (EU). Passengers may only carry small quantities (max. 100 ml per container) of liquids, gels and aerosols in their hand baggage. The packaging of these products must also meet specific requirements. This applies for all passengers departing from or catching connecting flights at airports within the European Union.

http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/about/news...gnews/news7.htm

Although this is NOT for International flights, some of you might encounter the problems with these new rules if you make a stop-over in one if the EU-countries, coming from Bangkok.

You are not even allowed to carry WATER, LIPSTICK and other -small- items- like gels....see above link.

LaoPo

...and I always thought the US is leading the workd with idiosyncratic security measures...I stand corrected!

Yes, and it's interesting that just as the EU are coming up with these ridiculous rules, the US TSA have moderated to a much more sensible and less restrictive policy.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/9-25_u...r_guidance.shtm

Not that the new TSA rules make any sense either, if you consider how little they would incovenience a sophisticated would-be terrorist.

This is NO Joke !

Effective November 6, 2006, new rules for the contents of hand baggage will apply for all airline passengers throughout the European Union (EU). Passengers may only carry small quantities (max. 100 ml per container) of liquids, gels and aerosols in their hand baggage. The packaging of these products must also meet specific requirements. This applies for all passengers departing from or catching connecting flights at airports within the European Union.

Although this is NOT for International flights, some of you might encounter the problems with these new rules if you make a stop-over in one if the EU-countries, coming from Bangkok.

You are not even allowed to carry WATER, LIPSTICK and other -small- items- like gels....see above link.

LaoPo

Recently flew back from LHR. The young girl confiscated a bottle of water that I was actually drinking at the time and 2 jars of highly dangerous Branston pickle! I'm all for safer travel but thinking water is a threat, what next?

Next time you see someone with a bottle of water, be very very carefull! :o

This is NO Joke !

LaoPo

Recently flew back from LHR. The young girl confiscated a bottle of water that I was actually drinking at the time and 2 jars of highly dangerous Branston pickle! I'm all for safer travel but thinking water is a threat, what next?

Next time you see someone with a bottle of water, be very very carefull! :o

I have to add, that once past security you can buy water, other liquids like perfumes, in fact anything in the departures area and take it on the plane.

totster :D

I have to add, that once past security you can buy water, other liquids like perfumes, in fact anything in the departures area and take it on the plane.

totster :D

naaaa...you're not suggesting that the duty free shops are behind that scheme? :o

This is NO Joke !

LaoPo

I will hold my lipstick in my hand. hehe

typically over the top reactions coming out of europe

common sense is something that is becoming extinct these days.

stopping a 65 year old english grand mother, searching her hand luggage and confiscating her toiletries, and it was an internal flight from mainland england to the isle of white. :o

source news of the world

Yes, especially for Ladies who are carrying lots of make-up stuff it will be a 'drama'....since they wish to do their lips and face so many times a day... :D

For us men, it will be a 'drama' also.....since the ladies will look less beautiful :D (for the time it takes to travel within Europe.... :o )

Poor us. :D

LaoPo

What is crazy about these new rules about fluid, they talk about security and safty, but they have known for about 3 or 4 years about this new type of explosive,

The man that designed them managed to get on a plane, make the bomb, plant it get off and then the bomb went off.

The man was later caught in the Phillipines and was sent to America, he is now serving life in an American Jail in solitary confinement, (maybe the americans are trying to keep the bomb a secret) :o

So in the EU’s eyes this was only a recent problem even though the tech has been about a lot longer

I think Blair will get his ID cards after all :D

This is NO Joke !

LaoPo

Next time you see someone with a bottle of water, be very very carefull! :D

Since I was a young lad, i always kept a weary eye on people drinking water. Now that strange feeling about people drinking water, seems to justified.... :o

Yes, especially for Ladies who are carrying lots of make-up stuff it will be a 'drama'....since they wish to do their lips and face so many times a day... :D

For us men, it will be a 'drama' also.....since the ladies will look less beautiful :D (for the time it takes to travel within Europe.... :o )

Poor us. :D

LaoPo

....and this again we have to cope with higher alcohol intake... :D

(Singapore Airlines) Duty Free items purchased in the EU, packed in a clear and sealed plastic bag with receipt and content clearly visible will be allowed. Duty Free items purchased at non-EU airports and inflight may be confiscated.
:o

WARNING !

There are many warnings in the European press the past few days about the new rules for handluggage, starting November 6th.

(Expensive) perfumes, liquor and other liquids will be confiscated if you have bought such items outside Europe and if you are in transit. Even water bottles....

For instance: if you fly Bangkok-Frankfurt/Amsterdam/Paris (or other TRANSIT-EU AIRPORT) to your final destination these items will be confiscated

This does not apply if you travel directly (non-stop) to your final destination, leaving from BANGKOK or other airports.

LaoPo

Returning from the U.K. last week I paid GBP 1.55 for 500 ml of water in the departure lounge. Plus prior to that my hand luggage was really well searched. My disposable contact lenses, which come in 30 packs with tiny amounts of liquids were scrutinised, and an (empty) stainless steel hip flask was shaken (a few drops came out). A small tiger-balm cream was confiscated from my toiletries bag. The baggage checker also looked at my passport for a long time, flicking through every page.

I can't complain, but when the trial comes up of these British guys/gals, who were planning a 'liquid attack' I hope it really was all worth it.

Incidentally, years ago at Narita airport water and liquids were routinely scanned by some kind of magic scanner that could tell the difference between H2O and H2O2.

New security rules hit European flyers

BRUSSELS : Strict new security rules have come into force at European airports, causing no major disruptions but leaving unprepared passengers infuriated after their liquid belongings were confiscated.

Some airports reported longer than usual lines at check-in desks as travellers familiarised themselves with the new regulations Monday.

The measures were drawn up after British authorities in August announced that they had foiled an alleged plot to blow up US-bound airliners using liquid explosives smuggled aboard in drink or other containers

Liquids are only being allowed onboard planes in small containers with a maximum capacity of 100 millilitres - about as much as a small cup of coffee.

These liquids - the rules cover creams, hair gels, pressurised containers and mascara among other items - must then be packed in a transparent resealable plastic bag.

Medicine and baby foods are exempt, as are drinks and perfumes bought at airport shops before boarding.

At the entrances to the airport in Brussels, passengers were given leaflets on the new measures and "a little plastic bag for putting any necessary liquids in",said airport spokeswoman Jan Van der Cruysse.

Waiting times at security checkpoints were still only between five and 10 minutes at peak time in the morning.

The awareness operation and the distribution of bags at the airport would carry on for a few days but "eventually, it will be up to the passengers to follow the new rules", the spokeswoman added.

Officials at Rome's Fiumicino airport said passengers faced a 20-minute wait at security gates.

"We are asking passengers to come a little earlier than usual if they can, for there are a few small delays," said airport director Vitaliano Turra.

Coldiretto, one of Italy's main farming associations, said the new rules were having an adverse effect on wine and olive oil sales, favourites with tourists.

French airport operator Aeroports de Paris had brought in 500 staff members to try and help passengers.

But both Paris airports, Charles de Gaulle and Orly, said passenger confusion caused an average delay of 30 minutes to morning flights before the situation returned to normal in the afternoon.

"It's a nightmare. Most passengers are not up to speed on the new measures and they are shocked when we confiscate the products they can not take into the cabin," said the coordinator of a team of ADP hostesses monitoring carry-on luggage as one of her colleagues threw a can of deodorant into a bin.

"We had to confiscate some chocolates from another passenger because they contained liqueur," she added.

At her feet lay a large bag full of similar items, along with bottles of alcohol and perfume which were to be destroyed later in the day.

Some yards away John Singer, a businessman from London, was slowly emptying his bag of toiletries to put them in a clear bag provided by Air France.

"In England, we have had to put up with all these stupid measures for several months. But there, we are not allowed any liquid in the cabin. At least here you can take a little bag," he said.

But every cloud has a silver lining and the new measures could provide a major boost for makers of plastic freezer bags in Germany, which have found an unlikely new market for their products.

"This will be a boost for sales," said Barbara Wildt, spokeswoman for Melitta, makers of coffee filters and freezer bags. - AFP/de

:D:D:o

This just came from Air France-KLM:

New EU-legislation for hand baggage at all airports in the European Union

The new rules apply for liquids such as water and other drinks, but also extend to gels, pastes, lotions, and the contents of aerosols. This includes toiletries such as toothpaste, shaving cream, hair gel, lip gloss, facial creams, mascara and liquid lip balms.

These are the rules for liquids in your hand luggage:

You can only bring on liquids and gels in containers of no more than 100 millilitres.

These containers must be carried in a transparent plastic bag.

There is a limit of one transparent plastic bag per person.

The volume of the transparent plastic bag may not be greater than 1 litre.

The transparent plastic bag must be re-sealable.

You may bring a suitable plastic bag from home. During the introductory period, free transparent plastic bags will also be given out at all concerned airports.

There are two exceptions to the above rules:

baby food needed during the flight;

medicines needed during the flight.

Purchases in duty free at the airport:

If your trip includes a transfer in a European Union country (including French overseas territories), the retailer must place your purchases in a bag. This will be sealed and must remain so until the end of your trip. This bag must be accompanied by a proof of purchase that will be checked when you transfer at the screening inspection point.

In Paris, if you are transferring between Paris-Charles de Gaulle and Paris-Orly airports, you are authorized to carry these duty free articles in the cabin of the following flight only if you retain your bag sealed, accompanied by the corresponding proof of purchase.

If your purchase occurred in an airport located outside the European Union, and you are transferring to a European Union country, you will not be authorized to carry your purchases onto your next flight. They will be taken away from you.

Onboard purchases:

If your purchase occurred onboard an aircraft belonging to a European airline departing from an airport located outside a European Union country, it will be accepted when you transfer in a European Union country, as long as it is placed in a sealed bag accompanied by the proof of onboard purchase.

Separate presentation of contents

When passing through security control, you will be required to present all liquids separately. The transparent plastic bag should accommodate all containers and be easily sealable. You are also required to separately present your coat, jacket and larger electrical equipment, such as laptops, when passing through security control.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't guarantee any of this is correct. Just a Flying Blue bulletin.