LG air cons

kevc

Hopefully they have much improved from when they first entered the Thai market. I have not bought another.

Same here. Had two that the house owner put in. One failed within 1 year, compressor. 2nd failed about a year after, remote control system stopped working. Current house has 5 Saijo Denki units and doing ok. Not top end brand but no problems.

I'd check Lazada, good selection and discounts

The problem with buying Air Conditioners from Lazada is they do not provide installation services which can cost a bundle if one must arrange through an independent contractor. Most major retailers in Bangkok include installation in the price.

I'd check Lazada, good selection and discounts

The problem with buying Air Conditioners from Lazada is they do not provide installation services which can cost a bundle if one must arrange through an independent contractor. Most major retailers in Bangkok include installation in the price.
True, cannot deny that, although could still work out cheaper if location of unit isn't too difficult etc.

I`ve just had 2 brand new air con units installed in my house. 1 is a Panasonic and the other a Mitsubishi. These makes come highly recommended in Thailand although they intend to be more expensive then the others.

The inverter is only a gimmick, I saved myself over 17000 baht by going for the basic models.

Heard only bad things about LG brand.

Years ago, when my first units were ready to be replaced, an electrician told me that Daikin was the best and most efficient in terms of energy usage so that's what I got and they have perfromed well. My electric bill did indeed drop noticeably with them, though now creeping back up as they are >10 years old now.

Just got an LG...12000 btu for 17000 from Tesco Lotus. They installed it for us, and it works better than expected. The temperature in Udon has been up to 42 almost every day this week, and this one kept my somewhat large bedroom very cool....even in daytime. We put shutters on the one window (with insulation), and insulated the door leading outside.

Never heard anything bad about LG...had some previous items from LG, and never was dissatisfied. However, it is too early to tell. I will let you know next year...if it is still working. The remote is a bit irritating, as I have to push the on button and let go just right, or it does not turn on. Same thing for the off. I can live with it though

I`ve just had 2 brand new air con units installed in my house. 1 is a Panasonic and the other a Mitsubishi. These makes come highly recommended in Thailand although they intend to be more expensive then the others.

The inverter is only a gimmick, I saved myself over 17000 baht by going for the basic models.

...can you explain more about the 'gimmick' re Inverters please...Im about to buy an Inverter and was told by the self employed electrician/technician that there is no noticeable saving with the running costs of an Inverter versus standard system.

Can anyone give more information about the two systems as I was under the impression an Inverter could save up to 30% and was quieter!

Thanks.

...can you explain more about the 'gimmick' re Inverters please...Im about to buy an Inverter and was told by the self employed electrician/technician that there is no noticeable saving with the running costs of an Inverter versus standard system.

Can anyone give more information about the two systems as I was under the impression an Inverter could save up to 30% and was quieter!

Thanks.

A normal AC turns on and off as it reaches it's set temperature while an inverter will just slow down and speed up, as required. This does make them quieter overall and should save electricity if you are running them to cool your room over a long period.

The last one I bought is a Panasonic inverter. About six months ago and it is great so far. I was originally going to buy a Daikin but the Panasonic has better efficiency numbers. I have an old Samsung in the bedroom. It is about nine years old and still is purring along and doing a good job.

Thanks.

an inverter can indeed save up to 30% electricity but that applies to specific cases only, e.g. when both heat load on the area to be cooled and cooling demand (different number of persons / heat producing electrical equipment) vary a lot.

being "quieter" applies only to the compressor / condenser unit located outside, an advantage which in most cases is irrelevant.

note: marketing claims by manufacturers as well as subjective experience reports by users are usually highly overrated.

Thanks.

an inverter can indeed save up to 30% electricity but that applies to specific cases only, e.g. when both heat load on the area to be cooled and cooling demand (different number of persons / heat producing electrical equipment) vary a lot.

being "quieter" applies only to the compressor / condenser unit located outside, an advantage which in most cases is irrelevant.

note: marketing claims by manufacturers as well as subjective experience reports by users are usually highly overrated.

Quietness also applies to the indoor unit, because since a inverter aircon keeps the temperature at a constant, there is no need for the indoor fan to run at high speed every time the compressor starts up.

A normal AC turns on and off as it reaches it's set temperature while an inverter will just slow down and speed up, as required. This does make them quieter overall and should save electricity if you are running them to cool your room over a long period.

correct, but it's worthwhile to mention that an inverter a/c slows already down before the desired temperature is reached and then approaches that temp gradually which might not suit impatient users.

the real reason for this gradual approach is to increase the anyway largely fake² EER/SEER ratings the marketing departments are publishing. it does not add any comfort.

correct, but it's worthwhile to mention that an inverter a/c slows already down before the desired temperature is reached and then approaches that temp gradually which might not suit impatient users.

the real reason for this gradual approach is to increase the anyway largely fake² EER/SEER ratings the marketing departments are publishing. it does not add any comfort.

If it is not comfortable to you when an inverter aircon slows down before, but actually only about 1°C, before the desired temperature is reached, then it will sure not be comfortable when a conventional aircon only starts up after the temperature has reached 2 -3° above the desired temperature, then runs till the room reaches 2°C below desired temperature. And this over and over again.

Thanks.

Quietness also applies to the indoor unit, because since a inverter aircon keeps the temperature at a constant, there is no need for the indoor fan to run at high speed every time the compressor starts up.

living more than 40 years in tropical countries i have never experienced a unit to increase fan speed when the compressor starts up except when set on the rather useless "auto fan" function.

in my home all units are always on the rather silent lowest two (out of six) fan speeds. but even on "auto" the fan of an inverter unit speeds up when cooling demand increases and the compressor runs faster.

Thanks.

living more than 40 years in tropical countries i have never experienced a unit to increase fan speed when the compressor starts up except when set on the rather useless "auto fan" function.

in my home all units are always on the rather silent lowest two (out of six) fan speeds. but even on "auto" the fan of an inverter unit speeds up when cooling demand increases and the compressor runs faster.

Since I have both inverter and conventional aircons installed in my house, I think I'm in a perfect position to notice the difference in operation between the both. Are you in the same position Naam?

There is a difference between increasing speed when demand increases and running at full speed start and stop like a conventional aircon does.

If it is not comfortable to you when an inverter aircon slows down before, but actually only about 1°C, before the desired temperature is reached, then it will sure not be comfortable when a conventional aircon only starts up after the temperature has reached 2 -3° above the desired temperature, then runs till the room reaches 2°C below desired temperature. And this over and over again.

that happens only when ignorant eggsburts calculate maximum cooling demand by adding 50 and more percent capacity and ignorant clients buy/install what was recommended.

that happens only when ignorant eggsburts calculate maximum cooling demand by adding 50 and more percent capacity and ignorant clients buy/install what was recommended.

Nothing to with eggsburts or miscalculating, it's the way a conventional aircon operates.

http://singapore-aircon-inverter.blogspot.com/

May it be new or old, as long as it is a Non Inverter, you will get the 'cut in' and 'cut out' of the compressor. In other words, everytime the room reaches the pre-set temperature, the compressor will stop working. And when it senses an increase in temperature, it will start running again. Thus through out the night, you will experience the 'start and stop' of the compressor. In addition to that, the temperature will fluctuate as the indoor unit changes from 'COOL' to 'FAN' mode accordding to the 'start - stop' of the compressors.

The LG aircon in the bedroom of my rented house self-destructed in the middle of the night. The fan blade disintegrated and scared the p*** out of me while I was sleeping. It made a hell of a lot of noise. It was only about 2 years old. The house owner wants me to pay for it of course.

Archived