Japanese investors concerned with Thai labor force

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having to train Thais at work on machines they have never ever seen,

or probably heard about, it is a two way street you so called trainers,

have to identify skills in each individual worker, move them around the organisational

operations as needed,

I have trained people all over the world, and Thai workers i have are treated with respect,

constantly praised, constantly shown the right way ,

gentle pushing of the safety and the correct

re enforcing of methods,

I have faith in the Thai fellows here that by the end will have many feathers and skills they can wear in their hat.

Now being able to leave some of these fellows alone and watch them work to the standards set is a pleasure, and it will

all re start again as more equipment rolls into the project,

Failing to teach some one or lift skill set is a failure on the teacher / imparted skill set.

Why is it that accidents happen because "The Brakes Failed", and the "Driver Fled the Scene"?

???? I hate to be argumentative, but whatever whoever has been imparting whatever 'skills' out there still cannot seem to prevent psycho drivers and brake failures.

I sent 75 RTA trucks to SUDAN on a UN mission that had brake calipers leaking and looked like peanut butter in the brake systems (mixture of DOT4 & DOT 5 brake fluid does that)......The RTA did not give a hoot.

If up to me.....1 month, skilled technicians & 1 million baht or so of parts....Quite simple stuff really.

2 million baht total......22 year old trucks mind you.

NOPE. NOBODY listened to me....no matter that they were PAYING ME to tell them this.

Quite maddening.

Quite rare for the japanese to expressing themselves so directly and strongly…the situation must be really troubling for them…an impediment to doing business.

On the other hand, where can they go where the labour is better?

Cant imagine vietnam, laos, indonesia, philippines being any better.

India has just mounted a massive campaign to carmakers highlighting their skills...

But is there a global market for a car built in India? Wheres the prestige factor?

Lets look the flip side of the coin, if Toyota didn't have a factory in Thailand, a Toyota would not be affordable for the average Thai

The affordability results from avoiding import taxes. It doesn't affect increased profit from lower labor wages. If Thai workers were not capable and competent in working in an auto factory, there wouldn't be any factories here at all. Your point addresses Thai workers in what manner? And how many cars are shipped to other markets?

Maybe try to consider why Toyota moved production of a few models already to Indonesia and Philippines, as did Samsung already, and probably more companies to follow.

I'm sure they don't invest billions building a new factory in those countries just because they can save a few quid, if any, on the salaries.

Mr. Cruncher, maybe you should crunch the labor costs in these other countries, I'm sure than just a few 'quid' are involved. There are a myriad of reasons that a company will move it's production facilities but profit is always the main motive. If you don't agree with that analysis, you don't understand capitalism.

You're absolutely right, but since we all know that the labor costs in Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines are not much different from those in Thailand we also know why the can't make the same profit here as in other Asian countries.

You can't run a profit with an incompetent workforce. Thanks for agreeing.

You're absolutely right, but since we all know that the labor costs in Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines are not much different from those in Thailand we also know why the can't make the same profit here as in other Asian countries.

I guess you haven't done much research on wages in ASEAN countries to make such a profoundly absurd statement. If companies are moving to other countries, there are 'probably' four main factors: 1) tax incentives, 2) investing in a new facility where even less labor is required than in existing production facilities, 3) the ability to use a precarious workforce with little or no benefits, and 4) lower wages. Why aren't these companies moving to the UK? Incompetent workers? The Japanese and Koreans moan about workers in every country in which they have companies. It could never be the fault of a flawed management structure.

Quite rare for the japanese to expressing themselves so directly and strongly…the situation must be really troubling for them…an impediment to doing business.

On the other hand, where can they go where the labour is better?

Cant imagine vietnam, laos, indonesia, philippines being any better.

India has just mounted a massive campaign to carmakers highlighting their skills...

But is there a global market for a car built in India? Wheres the prestige factor?

India.

Well I'm well aware of a European company opening a large manufacturing facility in India some 10 years ago employing perhaps 1,000 employees. Perhaps 5% were from Europe: managers, production and quality experts. The company wanted more europenas on site but the local government wouldn't agree.

Within about 15 months they closed the factory and paid the costs of dispersing the entire Indian workforce. No matter how many complex verbose meetings were held again and again, no gains were made at all on the very low production numbers and quality and on local management gains in terms of efficiencies, better / lower supply chain costs, on time delivery of raw material, meeting delivery numbers on time to customers etc.

At that time the company was very satisfied with production numbers / quality etc., from it's two large factories in China. They moved all the manufacturing equipment to a third factory in China and with very satisfactory results.

I guess you haven't done much research on wages in ASEAN countries to make such a profoundly absurd statement. If companies are moving to other countries, there are 'probably' four main factors: 1) tax incentives, 2) investing in a new facility where even less labor is required than in existing production facilities, 3) the ability to use a precarious workforce with little or no benefits, and 4) lower wages. Why aren't these companies moving to the UK? Incompetent workers? The Japanese and Koreans moan about workers in every country in which they have companies. It could never be the fault of a flawed management structure.

They are moving from Thailand to Indonesia, Vietnam and Philippines.

Why don't you just post the wage differences in those countries instead of resorting to simply claim I don't know what I'm talking about?

Tax incentives, A new factory cost billions, and tax incentives are reduced from the profits, so first that particular factory has to make billions of profit before the tax incentives can pay off.

I personally know someone who is at senior level in the Thailand Samsung factory, and he tells me how the Korean executives talk about the Thai workers in their factory when they visit.

Hint : they are not praising them even remotely.

Let's look at the flip side of the coin for a moment. Japanese companies build factories in third world countries for one reason and one reason only - cheap labor to enhance their profit margins. Why do you think Apple outsources the manufacture of its phones to China - Foxconn is a major producer. (Workers at Foxconn often work 14 or 18 hour shifts standing all day!)

Once built, the Japanese owners will use will hire their workers through a 'contractor' to prevent any hint of union organization. The contracts for workers under such arrangements are for one year and renewable if you are judged to be a 'good' employee. The companies, for the vast majority of cases, do little to foster good employment relations with solid job security and good pay and benefits. Most workers in developing nations suffer under precarious work relationships.

As the old saying goes - "You get what you pay for!"

Unless and until major foreign corporations deal with its workforce from a standpoint of dignity and respect (Japanese and Koreans being some of the worst), they will always moan and groan about the quality of their workers. Man up! Give the workers job security and a good future for their family!

Your last sentence, I wish was how it is in Thailand and everywhere but it is dying out all around the world.

What have we become greedy and without a thought for the welfare of future generations, despicable!

Why don't you just post the wage differences in those countries instead of resorting to simply claim I don't know what I'm talking about?

Tax incentives, A new factory cost billions, and tax incentives are reduced from the profits, so first that particular factory has to make billions of profit before the tax incentives can pay off.

I personally know someone who is at senior level in the Thailand Samsung factory, and he tells me how the Korean executives talk about the Thai workers in their factory when they visit.

Why don't you do some research before you make outlandish statements? As for Korean executives, I've known my share over at least three decades. For the most part, they have a huge chip on their shoulder and treat workers of a different nationalities ( no matter if they are Filipino, Indonesian, Vietnamese, or Thai) in a very degrading manner. I can't believe that you would condemn the entire Thai workforce on the basis of one Korean executive's statement. Rings of racism and bigotry to me.

Why don't you do some research before you make outlandish statements? As for Korean executives, I've known my share over at least three decades. For the most part, they have a huge chip on their shoulder and treat workers of a different nationalities ( no matter if they are Filipino, Indonesian, Vietnamese, or Thai) in a very degrading manner. I can't believe that you would condemn the entire Thai workforce on the basis of one Korean executive's statement. Rings of racism and bigotry to me.

You're talking in circles mate. I said it was due to incompetence, in fact the OP says it literally

Automotive suppliers and car makers expressed their concerns as they attempt to build an Asean hub in Thailand. Investors state that Thais fail to meet their needs.

Mr. Shiro does note that Thailand has a policy to improve labor standards and skills in the country, but the skills are not up to standard as of yet.

You decided to rebuke my comment with some rose colored yakete yak, so it's you who should provide links to research that confirms your drivel.

By the way http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/900238-is-there-something-to-see-in-my-profile/ ?

Edited by TheCruncher

Yes, but take Toyota as an example

They have four plants in Thailand, only one in Russia, three in China.

The japanese ambassodors little spiel, just a kick up the bum talk

Anecdotal stories from others, just that

But if the most well branded Japanese car maker sticks more plants in Thailand than it does China, well, thats closer to the reality

Seems you overlooked the Toyota factories in Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam for some reason.

Indonesia makes some 110,000 vehicles a year. Both the Philippines and Vietnam plant assemble CKD vehicles from parts mostly made in Thailand.

Toyota Thailand produces some 800,000 vehicles a year.

TH

You're talking in circles mate. I said it was due to incompetence, in fact the OP says it literally

Automotive suppliers and car makers expressed their concerns as they attempt to build an Asean hub in Thailand. Investors state that Thais fail to meet their needs.

Mr. Shiro does note that Thailand has a policy to improve labor standards and skills in the country, but the skills are not up to standard as of yet.

You decided to rebuke my comment with some rose colored yakete yak, so it's you who should provide links to research that confirms your drivel.

By the way http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/900238-is-there-something-to-see-in-my-profile/ ?

http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/unctad_asean_air2015d1.pdf - For your reading and edification. You might find this enlightening to your rather narrow views and total reliance on Mr. Shiro. When your done reading this, let me know.

http://www.aseanbriefing.com/news/2013/04/16/minimum-wage-levels-across-asean.html

As for wages, you can digest this along with your drivel.

But if the most well branded Japanese car maker sticks more plants in Thailand than it does China, well, thats closer to the reality

Seems you overlooked the Toyota factories in Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam for some reason.

Indonesia makes some 110,000 vehicles a year. Both the Philippines and Vietnam plant assemble CKD vehicles from parts mostly made in Thailand.

Toyota Thailand produces some 800,000 vehicles a year.

TH

That are figures of the PAST, but if the OP is of any value that may change in the not so distant future.

have to identify skills in each individual worker, move them around the organisational

operations as needed,

I have trained people all over the world, and Thai workers i have are treated with respect,

re enforcing of methods,

I have faith in the Thai fellows here that by the end will have many feathers and skills they can wear in their hat.

Now being able to leave some of these fellows alone and watch them work to the standards set is a pleasure, and it will

Failing to teach some one or lift skill set is a failure on the teacher / imparted skill set.

+1 So, so true...

They are capable of learning, just like everybody else, it's just finding the right way to communicate with them.

I've noticed over the last few years that some of them turn out to be very reliable, honest and professional and are really proud to do a good day's work.

Training and praise go a long way.

Yes

The Japanese, those generally brilliant and super hard working folks, who have been in Thailand training Thais for hundreds of years, have got it all wrong. They just need to learn how to train the good Thais better.

I wonder if your anecdote is statistically significant against the Japanese industry in Thailand with hundreds of thousands of data points and millions even over the years... I wonder

Japanese investors have raised concerns that Thai workers are not able to meet the needs of major companies.

Not exactly a bombshell here, is it?

10 people to do the job of one person, and they still can't get it right.

Shiro Sadoshima, Japanese ambassador to Thailand, has called on the government to invest in education.

LOL.

Doesn't the ambassador understand that "face" is more important than education?

In a culture where deficits and mistakes can't be acknowledged, education is impossible.

Thailand is a feudal culture. So while an educated work

force / peasants sounds like a good idea to foreign investors,

it is about the last thing the lords here want.......So the current

system will stay firmly in place..

Concerns of Japanese investors regarding concerns that Thai workers are not able to meet the needs of major companies comes as no surprise to the Prayut government.

Just last month Minister of Labor Gen Sirichai Distakul held a seminar on how to improve an automobile personnel training institution to satisfy demand for labor in the auto-manufacturing and auto-parts sectors.

So no face lost from the comments by Japanese investors.

Why does Toyota have 4-plants in Thailand???? For the simple reason like myself, Toyota had faith in the Thais as a workforce the same as I had faith in the Thai workforce a half century ago, but that faith the Thai workforce has let it slip out of their hands by not performing.

Example, In the Middle East put a Thai and a Pilipino on the same type Komatsu frontend loader, ran both through the same training program and put them on the job. A month later it took the Thai scooping 3-loads to fill the hauling Hino Dumptrucks while the Pilipino by that time had it down to scooping 2-loads to fill the Hino Dumptrucks. Do you wonder why the Hino Dumptruck drivers who were paid by the number of hauls they did in the 8-hour workday were not happy with the Thai Komatsu frontend loader operators?????

Example - 2 The company operated a major hospital in Dhahran were the complete nursing (male and female) were 99 percent Pilipino the remaining 1 percent were UK Matrons and shift supervisors.

Several times company recruiters tried to hire Thai nursing staff but all Thai applicants at the several Bangkok interviews miserable FAILED the English test for nursing staff. After a few years of trying the company just eliminated Thailand to recruit Thai nursing staff.

Yes the company did have Thais working in the company 120 Thais vs. 1500 Filipinos. Why the disparity in hiring number? If you don't get it yet, ENGLISH language comprehension, that's why and it is not much better now since I retired in 1994 that is 22-years ago. Well I better stop here, I can write a book about the subject, if I want, but I don't want.

Hang in there with LOS

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Samsung recently close a large facility in BKK?

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Samsung recently close a large facility in BKK?

It was in Korat last July. Made hard drive motors, actually owned by Seagate as Samsung sold their hard disk business to Seagate in 2011. Hard disk sales are at a all time low worldwide. Motor driven HD's are rapidly becoming obsolete.

TH

At my Honda-dealer they even can't pump a tire, also they don't have a manometre in the shop...They have 3-400 new Honda's though and loads of "engineers".

Also they even can't tighten a nut properly, it will come loose within a day.

When they repair or change a tire they use screwdrivers to put it on the wheel.

I can understand the Japanese get tired of that.

My woman bought herself a nice new E Sport Toyota and insists that the technical staff in the dealership (in Korat) told her to switch off the accessories, especially the aircon, before switching off the engine. So we have this weird routine happening each time we stop.

I'm given a sad face when I drive and switch off the engine without any of that nonsense.

It's a little bit like whan she cleans her teeth before breakfast . . . don't know where she got that from.

Well technical staff at Toyota know more than the all knowing farang then calling things nonsense...switching the aircon off before switching off the engine dries out the evaporator, preventing mould build up and possible smells

So on this "nonsesnse"

Thai Toyota staff - 1

All knowing farang - 0

Only for that to happen you should switch off the aircon at least 15 - 30 minutes prior to switching off the engine.

The Chruncher - 1

Bobotie - 0

That would require thinking about and understanding what is actually involved. Which goes back to the education process: rote learning or learning how to think for yourself.

Regarding education in Thailand: there is two systems: the rich, high quality system akin to Western education and state education system which has very low standards. Thus you could blame the establishment for fostering such a low quality system to keep the general population uneducated and under control.

Edited by MaiChai

I grew pretty much every gray hair I have, and lost a lot of it (I was tearing it out) working with Thai folks.

They just couldn't grasp so many things.

NEVER AGAIN.

Well........ if there not trained what can you expect?

Toyota has a comprehensive plan worldwide to recruit good people and it works. When I take my Vigo in for service I can sit in the lounge and observe everything the technicians do. They are well trained, thorough and professional. How other companies train and recruit staff is a reflection on them not Thai people in general. Raise your expectations and standards, pay wages that attract employees and encourage them to stay.

japanese have only themselves to blame. They open factories in a third world country, and then they wonder why somchai dont even know how to lace his shoes.

Why would Somchai need to know how to lace his shoes when he wears flip flops ? Do you know how to put a Kimono on properly ?

nonsense,

you mean thai dont wear shoes?

i dont wear a kimono, but i do have a master degree in science, what about you?tongue.png

Suspect you have a "Masters" Degree in BS from the University of Kho San Road

operations as needed,

re enforcing of methods,

+1 So, so true...

They are capable of learning, just like everybody else, it's just finding the right way to communicate with them.

I've noticed over the last few years that some of them turn out to be very reliable, honest and professional and are really proud to do a good day's work.

Training and praise go a long way.

Last sentence....Sounds like you are training a golden retriever.

Try it sometime and compare the results with those of your current approach. You'll be positively surprised.

japanese have only themselves to blame. They open factories in a third world country, and then they wonder why somchai dont even know how to lace his shoes.

Why would Somchai need to know how to lace his shoes when he wears flip flops ? Do you know how to put a Kimono on properly ?

nonsense,

you mean thai dont wear shoes?

i dont wear a kimono, but i do have a master degree in science, what about you?tongue.png

Suspect you have a "Masters" Degree in BS from the University of Kho San Road

"Kho San Road"

hey dummy, its khao san road, not kho san road. This is a street not an island in the middle of bangkok.

This is what happen, when people like Bobotie spend to much time in pattaya, their brain meltlaugh.png

Edited by Bender

Let's look at the flip side of the coin for a moment. Japanese companies build factories in third world countries for one reason and one reason only - cheap labor to enhance their profit margins. Why do you think Apple outsources the manufacture of its phones to China - Foxconn is a major producer. (Workers at Foxconn often work 14 or 18 hour shifts standing all day!)

Once built, the Japanese owners will use will hire their workers through a 'contractor' to prevent any hint of union organization. The contracts for workers under such arrangements are for one year and renewable if you are judged to be a 'good' employee. The companies, for the vast majority of cases, do little to foster good employment relations with solid job security and good pay and benefits. Most workers in developing nations suffer under precarious work relationships.

As the old saying goes - "You get what you pay for!"

Unless and until major foreign corporations deal with its workforce from a standpoint of dignity and respect (Japanese and Koreans being some of the worst), they will always moan and groan about the quality of their workers. Man up! Give the workers job security and a good future for their family!

So are you saying that GM and Ford here has better workers than Honda? I know as a fact that it is not true but other way around. Also all companies in automotive industry use outsource service in order to accomodate for volume fractuation. In this case, Thais are not affected so much because most of the workers hired by outsource are workers from neighboring countries.

The Japanese should start technical schools in Thailand. I would be happy to pay extra for a Japanese educated technician servicing my motobike or house.

Today i changed Honda dealer for the motobike, it took 3 hours to do small maintenance and the "change oil" light is still burning, they couldn't turn it off. I finally did it myself at home.

We especially need Japanese educated electricians in Thailand. It would save many lives and much time.