Living Expenses In Bangkok

JayBird

Hello all, just throwing this out there in case anyone is curious:

Two people can live comfortably for about 60,000 THB/mo, with breakdown as follows:

Rent:

20,000 / mo (I rent a 2 bedroom 50sqm condo about 10 min walk from Airport Link). Brand new building, well managed. I converted the second bedroom into an office space, so can work during the day with a view (not great, but better than a cubicle)

Utilities:

Electricity: 2.5k/mo (I got 3-air cons, and 3 computers to keep cool).

Water: 1.5k/mo (I shower 4+ times a day)

Internet/TV: 900/mo (basic channels, True internet. I never watch TV, and stream Netflix as needed)

Mobile: 300/mo for True.

Food:

About 4k/week for groceries. I do most of my shopping at FreshMart/FoodLand and still have a lot of non-thai foodstuff (Lindt/Kinder chocolate, Cereal), but avoid the really costly stuff (no cheese or imported steaks). Lots of fresh vegs and chicken, as well as ground beef (local). (Good enough to make burgers or sloppy joes with)

Note: I don't drink alcohol, so save a lot of money from that.

Boots:

About 4k/mo for shampoo, toothpaste, Listerine, shaving cream, etc. (This stuff adds up!)

Hobbies:

Gym Membership: About 1.5k/mo

Vitamins/Protein Powder/Supplements (US Import): About 6k/mo

Eating-Out:

Eat out about once a week, roughly 1.5k/week (usually a good Thai restaurant in one of the bigger malls, and some awesome desert... Honey Toast... must have...) So about 6k/mo for that.

Misc:

A few hundred baht here and there for taxis, BTS/etc.

So, it is possible to have a pretty pleasant life style for about 60k/mo (this is for 2 people in a 2 bedroom flat).

If you wanted a 1bedroom/studio could save 10k/mo on that (next door to me is about 10k/mo, brand new as well).

If you didn't need foreign food/chocolate/protein powder/supplements, could save another 10k/mo there.

So quite possible to be happy on 40kTHB/mo (800 GBP/mo). You could go even lower, but (in my opinion) you might compromise on enjoying life in order to save a penny.

Note: I notice a lot of posts and web sites talking about condos being 30k/mo, 40k/mo or even 60k/mo. Unless you have a real specific reason to be in that type of a condo or high-cost location (Pathum Wan?), you could easily avoid the rent there and still have a good place. Where I am (Ramkhamhaeng) is only 20k/mo, but big and within walking distance of Airport Link, FoodLand, Mall, FreshMart, BigC. 60THB taxi to a Big Mall with all of life's needs, or 80 THB taxi to Paragon when no traffic (good luck if there's traffic!). And on the plus side, all the grocery stores here stock beef.

Hopefully this is of some interest or help to others.

Thank you.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bangkok is what you make of it. I have lived like the OP ( even with trips to villa market) and I live like I currently live with 120,000 baht/month rent which I wouldn't recommend for anyone.

Regardless of your income. I'd be happy to have never rented the unit but that's just one of those things I hopefully laugh about when I get old..

Edited by PomRakBKK

You are paying 20,000 a month in a "new, well managed building" in the middle of nowhere and you are also paying for a gym membership?

Where are you renting? The base or Chewathai?

Did I see you at FBT?

I do not understand 'FBT' :)

I think you are suggesting that the Gym Membership fee I pay is due to a shortcoming in facilities at the my building? Well that may be the case, but I have never seen a Condo or Hotel with enough Gym equipment for me. (I'm not just doing a bit of running and lifting a dumbbell, I need a wider assortment of equipment at high weights as I'm on a specific bodybuilding regiment). If your needs are not that specific, then the Condo gym might be sufficient for you. (I see lots of Thai guys in my condo gym lifting weights, but the dumbbells only go up to about 25kg and the smith only about 200kg).

'In the middle of nowhere' may be an exaggeration, but I get your point: Yes it is definitely not in the heat of the action. And obviously if you do need to be right at the foot of it all you need to tailor your location accordingly. For me, I don't go clubbing or bar hopping, and spend most of my time in the Gym or working in home. And having access to Siam area in 30 mins or less is sufficient for me and might be for others as well.

Each of course to their own :) But I think the list I gave does serve as a good template if one does not have any specific needs. Then of course you must tailor to suit your needs :)

Bangkok is what you make of it. I have lived like the OP ( even with trips to villa market) and I live like I currently live with 120,000 baht/month rent which I wouldn't recommend for anyone.

Regardless of your income. I'd be happy to have never rented the unit but that's just one of those things I hopefully laugh about when I get old..

Anytime I eyeball a condo for 50M+ or rented out for 90k+/mo, I'm thinking somewhere in the back of my head:

These guys are specifically targeting foreigners (2 years ago, probably Russians) who have an abundance of money and can be easily taken for a ride. That alone is the reason I avoid them (it's not the money, it's the idea of someone laughing as they take advantage of me).

Obviously exceptions (huge size, ideal location, amazing facilities and services). My general rule of thumb is to compare it to what I paid in San Francisco, Zurich or Singapore: If it's more, here, there might be something wrong :P

Hopefully you are getting your money's worth!

Anytime I eyeball a condo for 50M+ or rented out for 90k+/mo, I'm thinking somewhere in the back of my head:

These guys are specifically targeting foreigners (2 years ago, probably Russians) who have an abundance of money and can be easily taken for a ride. That alone is the reason I avoid them (it's not the money, it's the idea of someone laughing as they take advantage of me).

Obviously exceptions (huge size, ideal location, amazing facilities and services). My general rule of thumb is to compare it to what I paid in San Francisco, Zurich or Singapore: If it's more, here, there might be something wrong tongue.png

Hopefully you are getting your money's worth!

Don't think I will ever understand the BKK condo market and it's insane pricing. London, Sydney, yes, severe shortage of accomodation and large amount of relatively high earners. Bangkok, vast excess of accomodation and limited amount of high earners. And yet if you were to judge by the classifieds on this forum (I don't) the reverse would be the case considering the asking prices. Recall a conversation with a Thai guy a year or so back who informed me his ownership of 4 condos could provide 300K monthly in rental, subsequent probing revealed that he hadn't managed to rent any of them. Supply and demand doesn't seem to be a consideration here. No different to driving up country and pass one stall selling pickled eggs, then another and another till you've passed 40 of them all with the same product and not enough customers for two stalls. La la land at times.

FBT is a big sports store and a gym on Ramkhamheang. I am surprised you never heard of it.

My comment was really about the rent. I think you are overpaying for 50 sqm in that area especially if you are not using the facilities.

Oh yes, the sports complex next to the university. Sorry, forgot its name :P I've been there a few times, not really what I need (they don't stock any real supplements, nor have much in the way for bodybuilding (no weighted vests for example), and I already have all the sports clothes I need). But it works in a pinch if you need to pick up some gloves or something.

Perhaps I am overpaying, the searches I could do suggest its fair, but after a few more on-the-foot explorations I start to wonder if I should have lived nearer The Mall Bangkapi for less and better facilities. Other bigger places for the same price would have me further out (Bang Na or far from the BTS/etc.)

4k a week for food? Seems high. I spend 10k a month for family of 5, and that includes soap, garbage bags, etc.

Is there a fair bit of foreign food in there? As well as meat? Maybe I just eat a lot tongue.png But I also chow down on Lindt choccies and that's a good 100thb/day a day alone O.o Plus Apples, and brazil nuts (not cheap).

Edited by JayBird

Why so many showers? 2 times a day is enough.

My gym is a 5min walk so I come home to shower, and I workout twice a day. So two showers JUST from working out, plus 1-2 if I actually go out for something other than a work out :P

This of course does not help the water/electric bill as I have my own laundry machine and tend to run it every other day :P

How is your water bill 1,500 baht a month? How much do you pay per unit? If you pay 20 baht per unit that's 75 cubic metres per month.

Either your cost per unit is extremely high or you are using 75,000 litres of water a month. That's about 2 large tanker lorries worth.

FBT is a big sports store and a gym on Ramkhamheang. I am surprised you never heard of it.

My comment was really about the rent. I think you are overpaying for 50 sqm in that area especially if you are not using the facilities.

Oh yes, the sports complex next to the university. Sorry, forgot its name tongue.png I've been there a few times, not really what I need (they don't stock any real supplements, nor have much in the way for bodybuilding (no weighted vests for example), and I already have all the sports clothes I need). But it works in a pinch if you need to pick up some gloves or something.

Perhaps I am overpaying, the searches I could do suggest its fair, but after a few more on-the-foot explorations I start to wonder if I should have lived nearer The Mall Bangkapi for less and better facilities. Other bigger places for the same price would have me further out (Bang Na or far from the BTS/etc.)

Bangkapi is a good cheap location if you don't mind taking the riverboat into town.

Very useful, JayBird, thanks for posting. I am wondering though about health insurance which seems to be mandatory in this country especially for foreigners. I know you work out but that's not quite insurance against the proverbial rogue bus.

I didn't include costs of Health Insurance (almost pointless as it will be different for everyone). But I would check with the online free quote places, and BUPA to get an 'estimate' of the upper bound you will pay.

Then you can start doing some bargaining. I got a 10% discount for paying yearly, and a 10% discount for getting a policy for me and my GF at the same time. I also opted out of out-patient (doctor fees are cheap enough if you only need to see once a year or so). I had no priors and am in perfect help, so opted only for coverage in case that baht bus hits me :P

Btw, I *DO* recommend you get HIGH coverage (5M per incident up to 20M/year). Despite the lower medical bills here, it can end up costly if you get a bad accident and end up in ICU. A lot of policies (esp. thai ones) seem to cover only 300k o.o

How is your water bill 1,500 baht a month? How much do you pay per unit? If you pay 20 baht per unit that's 75 cubic metres per month.

Either your cost per unit is extremely high or you are using 75,000 litres of water a month. That's about 2 large tanker lorries worth.

I'll check the cost next time, I'm not really sure what the unit price is :P But I do run the laundry machine every other day or so and take lots of showers, so I expect it does add up. Plus my GF takes at least 2-3 showers a day as well (she works out daily)

The company I work for owns apartment buildings. In one building there are 4 communal washing machines and a 1 baht water machine. The water usage for these machines last month was 60 units or 1,200 baht.

That is with a building with about 200 tenants.

Seriously, 1,500 baht is a phenomenal sized water bill for 2 people.

The company I work for owns apartment buildings. In one building there are 4 communal washing machines and a 1 baht water machine. The water usage for these machines last month was 60 units or 1,200 baht.

That is with a building with about 200 tenants.

Seriously, 1,500 baht is a phenomenal sized water bill for 2 people.

He and is gf 'work out' daily i think he mentioned.....

Good info. OP.

I think you left out a few things like medical insurance. But, I know many do not carry it.

Anyway, here are my expenses. In January I rented a place near Nana.

It is a studio in an older quiet building, but totally new remodeled. Many older people and families. I can walk to the skytrain, restaurants, bars, massage. Everything is close I really like this place.

Rent: 16,000 b

Elec: 1,000 b

Water: 80 b :)

TV/Int 900 b

I am from California so just a quick comparison this life style would be triple my current costs. Easily triple, maybe more.

Anyway, I am paying 7500 b a month for a very good medical insurance policy. Being older I need the security of this.

For food I spend about 500 b a day. You can get by with much less. I have experimented and can do it for about 200 b. Eating 7-11 meals or what have you. But I like to eat decently.

Misc. expense: Toilet paper, soap, paper towels, etc. about 3000 b per month.

So for a basic life for me round it off at 50,000 b per month. I don't have or want a GF. I think it is a pretty good price for a decent life.

But, now comes more. I like to drink, meet and take ladies, go to movies, get foot massages, etc.

This adds up to another 30-40,000 b per month for me because I am pretty active. I go out 3 nights a week. Maybe four.

So now I am close to 90,000 b per month.

Still good for me. I have a decent pension so no worries compared to the USA high cost of living and pergatory existence.

60,000 baht a month??? You're spending way too much. I rarely spend more than 15,000 baht a month and I live in a 38 sq. m. apartment and eat out every day and enjoy the company of a lady of the night 3 times a week.

60,000 baht a month??? You're spending way too much. I rarely spend more than 15,000 baht a month and I live in a 38 sq. m. apartment and eat out every day and enjoy the company of a lady of the night 3 times a week.

@ Bt.500 per day total spend is a tight budget. That Condo and those ladies must be real quality.

@ Bt.500 per day total spend is a tight budget. That Condo and those ladies must be real quality.

I guess it is possible depending on where someone is.

It is possible in Pattaya. You can get a dump of an apartment for 3k with noisy Ladyboys and traffic. Then take the low end skanks from BR for 500.

So in his life example he is now at 9000 b. That leaves 6000 b or 200 a day for food, etc. There are some cheap buffets and street food for that to total the 15,000 b.

OK for some I guess, but not the lifestlye I would want.

Quite Ok spending.

I Spent about 45K/mth + (15k/mth as savings for travel and unforeseen circumstances) without that much of comfort . Maybe because i have a wife and Kid.

On weekday we take Thai Food & Home Cooking.

Insurance about 4K (2 person)

School fees about 5K/Mth

No Rent only utilities about 5K Include phone bills and internet.

Fuel about 5K

Daily expenses takes up the rest.

But still we are able to go out for movie & dinner over weekend and once in a while travel to province near Bangkok for short Holiday.

But for a foreign Expat in Bangkok to spent 15-20k / Mth is nonsense. It can be done but that way you're not Living life. You are spending days waiting for the day you die.

Do you know? A Motorcycle Taxi Driver can earn up to 1400/day Deduct the fuel and maintenance for his bike lets say 400/day

He can earn 25k/Mth for him working only 25days. So as an EXPAT or Even Tourist, How possible is it to spent 15-20k Per Month?

Edited by iamjack

Seems excessive. one can live a decent life on 10k per month.

no problem at all if the 10k are €URos. not sure if they are Dollars gigglem.gif

HA. I think he means Baht.

But some people think sleeping on the beach with the rats and eating food from the garbage is a good life. Unfortunately, it is a sad life.

Seems excessive. one can live a decent life on 10k per month.

no problem at all if the 10k are €URos. not sure if they are Dollars gigglem.gif

For me it is USd, For you it would have to be euro thumbsup.gif

Those that are ok with baht I can only imagine how depressing that must be.

Edited by Don Mega

Quite Ok spending.

I Spent about 45K/mth + (15k/mth as savings for travel and unforeseen circumstances) without that much of comfort . Maybe because i have a wife and Kid.

On weekday we take Thai Food & Home Cooking.

Insurance about 4K (2 person)

School fees about 5K/Mth

No Rent only utilities about 5K Include phone bills and internet.

Fuel about 5K

Daily expenses takes up the rest.

But still we are able to go out for movie & dinner over weekend and once in a while travel to province near Bangkok for short Holiday.

But for a foreign Expat in Bangkok to spent 15-20k / Mth is nonsense. It can be done but that way you're not Living life. You are spending days waiting for the day you die.

Do you know? A Motorcycle Taxi Driver can earn up to 1400/day Deduct the fuel and maintenance for his bike lets say 400/day

He can earn 25k/Mth for him working only 25days. So as an EXPAT or Even Tourist, How possible is it to spent 15-20k Per Month?

Good for you for managing your budget. Sounds like you have a pretty good life.

With a wife and kid it must not be easy.

Edited by bkk6060