New air con

northernjohn

When I replaced my 15++ year old 20,000 BTU AC (50 s/m room) with a new Samsung Inverter 18,000 BTU unit, my power bill went from B5,000-7000 p/m down to B2000-3000.

The old unit was in pretty bad shape at the time so your savings may not be as dramatic but the new unit definitely paid for itself in less than a year. I run it about 18 hrs/day

I would definitely change it. Start looking around and compare prices. If you do it now, you won't have to run out and buy in an "emergency" situation. You might get gouged if you want same day replacement. This way if you buy now you can schedule the installation ahead of time.

My old A/C was 12 BTU.

I replaced with a 18 BTU and I cannot remember the figures but my Electricity bill dropped considerably, a couple of thousand Baht/ month.

Folks have recommended in the past buy a larger A/C then the formula suggests.

john

If you go to HomePro they will suggest you double of what you need for double the price. There is a formula how to calculate the capacity you need, google it, then buy what you need.

Too small size will run nonstop, thus consuming more energy. Too big will make you sitting in a freezer. Right size is important.

Recommended brands are Mitsubishi, Daikin, Panasonic. Stay away from Samsung, LG and Haier, plastic parts will break regularly and cost you more in service in the long run.

Some 12 years ago I bought LG aircons

Today I buy Mitsubishi, I think they are better quality, and along with that more expensive

I am about to buy another with inverter model MSY-GM12VF,12000BTU's COST APPROX 24,000bAHT

With aircons, its about personal choice and cost!!!!!!!!!

your energy bill will drop with a new unit.

we had our guy here last week to clean our units and every year i always ask him which units are the most dependable. i may get another unit for a back bedroom if a friend comes next month and stays with us. his answer never changes from year to year; Daikin, Mitsubishi, and Saijo Denki. he says most of the others are not dependable, difficult to work on, threads strip in plastic parts easily, etc. he says NEVER buy Haier or Star Air.

If you go to HomePro they will suggest you double of what you need for double the price. There is a formula how to calculate the capacity you need, google it, then buy what you need.

Too small size will run nonstop, thus consuming more energy. Too big will make you sitting in a freezer. Right size is important.

Recommended brands are Mitsubishi, Daikin, Panasonic. Stay away from Samsung, LG and Haier, plastic parts will break regularly and cost you more in service in the long run.

Problem is these website calculators are geared to New York or Seattle or some nice hot state like that. Hardly useable in Thailand.

Problem is these website calculators are geared to New York or Seattle or some nice hot state like that. Hardly useable in Thailand.

Try again, or go to HomePro and use half what they tell you. Buy elsewhere.

Watsadu had recently some Mitsubishi promotions.

My old A/C was 12 BTU.

I replaced with a 18 BTU and I cannot remember the figures but my Electricity bill dropped considerably, a couple of thousand Baht/ month.

Folks have recommended in the past buy a larger A/C then the formula suggests.

john

Larger will cost more to run and not remove water well. But it is important to take into account how cold you need it - I am comfortable at 28c when not working so do not require recommended size - but if you need the freezer experience the larger size will often be required.

In my main bedrooms have two units each - one the old large size and second newer 9k units (which is all we need to run now - but have extra in case of failure of wanting colder).

Mitsubishi Aircons are also very quiet

Just be sure to select Mitsubishi Heavy and not Mitsubishi Electric. This was recommended by a couple of friends who are AC guys and I found out why. The external fan motor failed and it took weeks to get a replacement. He said if was a Mitsubishi Heavy he could have gotten the part right away.

I'd rather go for the smaller, matching size, for the bedroom. I hate it to wake up in the middle of the night when it is too cold and that's what happens every other night I'm not checking the remote and wife messed around with it :)

Consider the Electrolux unit, it provides heat also.

I believe all inverter units can heat, but they are more expensive to service. Electrolux is just another Chinese bought over brand. Perfectly ok if you drive a Cherry....Volvo car :)

Thank you for all the suggestions it narrows the field down.

Mitsubishi, Daikin, Panasonic. and Saijo Denki seem to be the most recomended

It would seem the Daiken invertor is the quietest followed closely by the Mitsubishi.

Can some one explain the invertor thing to me.

As I said the room I am going to put it in is only 32 sq. meters. Not sure how big I will need to get it. Hopefully I can find it in Google. Don't want one that is just barely adequate.

Thanks a lot guys any further suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for all the suggestions it narrows the field down.

Mitsubishi, Daikin, Panasonic. and Saijo Denki seem to be the most recomended

It would seem the Daiken invertor is the quietest followed closely by the Mitsubishi.

Can some one explain the invertor thing to me.

As I said the room I am going to put it in is only 32 sq. meters. Not sure how big I will need to get it. Hopefully I can find it in Google. Don't want one that is just barely adequate.

Thanks a lot guys any further suggestions are welcome.

Some topics in the DIY Housing forum. If you use advanced search in the DIY forum for inverter you will get quite a few hits.

Air Con - damn it's getting hotter. LG air cons Aircon how many BTU needed to cool down room 3,5 x 4 x 2,4 Air conditioner recommendation

I believe all inverter units can heat, but they are more expensive to service. Electrolux is just another Chinese bought over brand. Perfectly ok if you drive a Cherry....Volvo car smile.png

The Electrolux unit is the only one we've found in the Thai market that incorporates a heat pump, none of the other brands can also heat a room, inverted or not.

I believe all inverter units can heat, but they are more expensive to service. Electrolux is just another Chinese bought over brand. Perfectly ok if you drive a Cherry....Volvo car smile.png

The Electrolux unit is the only one we've found in the Thai market that incorporates a heat pump, none of the other brands can also heat a room, inverted or not.

for the record: every aircon and fridge is a heat pump extracting heat from one medium "pumping" it to another one.

the heating function is achieved by reversing that cycle. this is not done by an additional "pump" but by a 4-way solenoid valve which does this reverse. the difference between a normal aircon unit and a "heat pump" is that both evaporator and condenser must be able to perform the required two jobs.

for the record: every aircon and fridge is a heat pump extracting heat from one medium "pumping" it to another one.

the heating function is achieved by reversing that cycle. this is not done by an additional "pump" but by a 4-way solenoid valve which does this reverse. the difference between a normal aircon unit and a "heat pump" is that both evaporator and condenser must be able to perform the required two jobs.

Perhaps my post should have read, "the only one we've found in the Thai market that incorporates a reverse enabled heat pump".

"for the record: every aircon and fridge is a heat pump extracting heat from one medium "pumping" it to another one". - I agree.

"the heating function is achieved by reversing that cycle" - finding an aircon. unit that has this facility enabled is the trick, many have the capaility technically, less than 1% are enabled.

Perhaps my post should have read, "the only one we've found in the Thai market that incorporates a reverse enabled heat pump".

"for the record: every aircon and fridge is a heat pump extracting heat from one medium "pumping" it to another one". - I agree.

"the heating function is achieved by reversing that cycle" - finding an aircon. unit that has this facility enabled is the trick, many have the capaility technically, less than 1% are enabled.

none of the conventional units have the capability to reverse the cycle. it's not a matter of enabling the function because (as mentioned) evaporator and condenser must be designed and produced to carry out both functions plus the unit requires a rather expensive solenoid valve which switches the function between the two parts.

there is of course the possibility of mounting the outside unit inside and vice versa when heating is required gigglem.gif

Our Mitsubishi Electric 'Mr Slim' models at work can be used as a heater. Very nice it was too.

12000 BTU'S would be okay for your room, I am about to buy the Mitsubishi Mr Slim

Model MSY-GM12VF,12000BTU's COST APPROX 24,000 Baht

I already have one in another bedroom, they are very quiet

Well I am not rushing into this today but I did stop in at Siam and they had an 18 BTU with invertor at about 26,000 baht. I told him I had about 30 sq. Meters and 2 1/2 meters high and he tried to tell me I needed a 35,000 BTU. Now I have read a lot of different posts from the ones recommended and have yet to find one that can say this is what you need per cubic meter in one room. One I followed to the last page where it gave the sizes and al of a sudden it changed to Thai.

I noticed about a 7,000 baht difference in the convertor and non convertor. Not in the least interested in heating with it.

The closest I have been able to figure is 18,000 BTU

Edit

It was a Mitsubishi I was looking at.

12000 BTU'S would be okay for your room, I am about to buy the Mitsubishi Mr Slim

Well I am not rushing into this today but I did stop in at Siam and they had an 18 BTU with invertor at about 26,000 baht. I told him I had about 30 sq. Meters and 2 1/2 meters high and he tried to tell me I needed a 35,000 BTU. Now I have read a lot of different posts from the ones recommended and have yet to find one that can say this is what you need per cubic meter in one room. One I followed to the last page where it gave the sizes and al of a sudden it changed to Thai.

I noticed about a 7,000 baht difference in the convertor and non convertor. Not in the least interested in heating with it.

Edit

Another topic - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706053-what-size-ac-for-50-sq-mts-and-15-sq-mts/

600BTU/sqm is often a quoted rough gauge which would be 18,000 for your room size. So many other variables such as how much glass is facing the sun, insulation, etc. From my personal experience I feel 18k BTU will be fine.

35,000 BTU? Fine if you want a walk in refrigerator. biggrin.png

Edit

Another topic - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706053-what-size-ac-for-50-sq-mts-and-15-sq-mts/

600BTU/sqm is often a quoted rough gauge which would be 18,000 for your room size. So many other variables such as how much glass is facing the sun, insulation, etc. From my personal experience I feel 18k BTU will be fine.

35,000 BTU? Fine if you want a walk in refrigerator. biggrin.png

Thanks for that. I face east and in a condo so insulation is OK. I should have mentioned that earlier. Me badsad.png

Archived