fed up with smoke every day from bonfires cant open windows on such hot days

docspinoff

fed up with smoke every day from bonfires at this time of the year ,as you all know very hot,where i live lovely strong breeze. but cant leave my windows open due to people around burning stuff. and spoiling air quality .is there anything that can be done ? I live on an housing est but lots of farm land around . other people in the village must be pissed off but i assume they just put up with it . the other night there was hell of a fire people near by were watching it burn it looks out of control to me . i said or should i say tryed to ask if anyone had call fire brigade from there response looked like yes. but no one turned up. I know this is Thailand but are there any rules about bonfires? or would it be if we complain we would just get our house burnt down

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I commiserate, you chose to move into an agricultural and waste management situation that's been going on for hundreds of years.

We all hope it stops, but your opportunity to "do something" about your predicament pretty much ended when you chose to move in.

Unless, of course, you're renting. Then you can still do something- extricate yourself from an unacceptable (to you) environment.

Change the situation? May as well tilt at windmills.

Great cautionary tale about doing extra diligence (beyond what you'd need to do back home) before investing tons of money into the dream of living in paradise. For that, I applaud you.

Best of luck.

Edited by impulse

... agricultural and waste management situation that's been going on for hundreds of years ... Great cautionary tale about doing extra diligence ... before investing tons of money into the dream of living in paradise.

Words of wisdom from "Impulse".

Edited by PT4

I moved back to Udon...just could not handle the pollution/smoke/traffic of Chiang Mai. We are about 4 kilometers outside the city. The air is sooo much better. I really don't miss CM overly much....except our trips outside the city. Cool and windy outside this morning. but hot weather for 10 days this month.

Poster might build a fireplace in his home, to mask the smell of the outside smoke. (lol)

Edited by slipperylobster

going on for hundreds of years.

That's a common misconception because actually it's new in our generation. Traditionally Thailand grew organic because that's all there was. What used to be reused to nourish the soil is now called "agricultural waste" and burned in this era of chemical and poison farming. I ran across someone who has been in Northern Thailand since the 70's which was the time before farming methods changed. He described burning back then as seldom and the air as clean. Compare that to today where maybe 8 months out of the year the north is blanketed in heavy smoke pollution that is harmful to the entire population there. It's the same/worse every year. Nothing will be done about this in our lifetime.They give a little lip service to pass the time, blame others, and wait for the rains to start--works like a charm every time so why do anything? They already have the perfect solution in place.

As far as what you can do, leaving is probably the best thing for your health. Otherwise make an artificial atmosphere in your house with windows and doors always closed, AC always on, and high quality air filters running. Stay inside during the dangerous 8 months of the year. When outside always wear a face mask like the government warns residents to do. I sometimes wonder if the lungs of people in the north are worse than heavy chain smokers.

The problem with agricultural debris burning has definitely gotten worse in the past ten years. Ten years ago, people mainly planted corn in our area, along with some sugar cane, rice, peppers and sunflowers. Most of these really don't generate debris which requires burning. Now it is 90% sugar cane and manioac, both of which generate a fair amount of debris which is typically incinerated. The reason farmers have switched to sugar cane and manioac is because of climate change and the weather becoming less predictable. Both of these crops are year long crops which are less dependent on rainfall at any given time.

The sugar cane is burned to make it easier to cut. The fields cannot be set on fire when winds are high which is why there is a lot of early morning and evening burning. The rate for cutting unburned sugar cane is higher than the rate for cutting burned cane. It seems the only time it is cut unburned is when the cane is to be replanted. Manioac debris is also raked into piles and burned, but some farmers till it under for compost. Short of lobbying the government to outlaw this type of burning, I don't see this practice ending anytime soon.

As far as steps that can be taken to reduce the impact on your health, regular sweeping, mopping and dusting is a must during periods of heavy burning, and wearing a mask when you are doing this is probably a good idea. If you check with your neighbors, you will probably find that everyone sweeps their house at least once a day, sometimes more. Being lackadaisical about dusting and sweeping really isn't an option. I would also recommend paying close attention to your bedroom because of the amount of time people spend there. I would recommend keeping your bedroom windows closed except when you are occupying the room, and also covering your bed with a bedspread when you are not sleeping in the bed, and changing and washing your bedding regularly.

If the problem is household trash burning, in my area they started a trash collection program a few years back. There is a landfill, a large garbage truck for pickup, and large yellow collection bins as well. This service is coordinated through the OBT office here, but not sure if this would be the same where you live.

Hope this helps.

That's a common misconception because actually it's new in our generation. Traditionally Thailand grew organic because that's all there was. What used to be reused to nourish the soil is now called "agricultural waste" and burned in this era of chemical and poison farming. I ran across someone who has been in Northern Thailand since the 70's which was the time before farming methods changed. He described burning back then as seldom and the air as clean. Compare that to today where maybe 8 months out of the year the north is blanketed in heavy smoke pollution that is harmful to the entire population there. It's the same/worse every year. Nothing will be done about this in our lifetime.They give a little lip service to pass the time, blame others, and wait for the rains to start--works like a charm every time so why do anything? They already have the perfect solution in place.

As far as what you can do, leaving is probably the best thing for your health. Otherwise make an artificial atmosphere in your house with windows and doors always closed, AC always on, and high quality air filters running. Stay inside during the dangerous 8 months of the year. When outside always wear a face mask like the government warns residents to do. I sometimes wonder if the lungs of people in the north are worse than heavy chain smokers.

"8 months out of the year the north is blanketed in heavy smoke pollution that is harmful to the entire population there".

Rubbish nonesence and diatribe! I live North of Chiang Mai, I've lived in the province for almost 12 years,. Burning and pollution is bad for about six weeks from February through mid April, that's all.

The 8 months you quote is typical of somebody who has never even visited here for more than two weeks at a time, let alone lived here!

"8 months out of the year the north is blanketed in heavy smoke pollution that is harmful to the entire population there".

Rubbish nonesence and diatribe! I live North of Chiang Mai, I've lived in the province for almost 12 years,. Burning and pollution is bad for about six weeks from February through mid April, that's all.

The 8 months you quote is typical of somebody who has never even visited here for more than two weeks at a time, let alone lived here!

I'm guessing a typo and meant weeks rather than months otherwise it doesn't make sense.

In my observation burning ramps up a few days after the rains stop and that in turn causes visibility to diminish rapidly. This can be October. The situation worsens and peaks around February/March when it's the driest time and people know that and so burning becomes a frenzy. This is when the air becomes redline hazardous to human health and perhaps is the six week period you are referring to. Consistent rains may not come until May that will restore full visibility in the atmosphere. So in my observation, smoke pollution definitely can last 8 months out of the year.

I might be lucky, I live on 5 Rai, surrounded by a mix of small farms, high end villas, and a few small housing estates.

The locals burn stuff, and also on the land I live, but I always assumed they did it when the wind was favorable as to not disturb. It always fascinated me as one of the niceties of Thailand though I never inquired about it. Why would I, it seems respectful to the neighbors.

I've witnessed a big pile of whatever being built up maybe 30 meters from my house, sat for days, and burned in correct winds away from the local inhabitants.

Lived there for a decade before giving up on the terrible air quality & moved to Hua Hin. Burning season is one thing, the ambient year round pollution quite another. The increase in traffic, construction dust has changed the air quality completely in CM. I know .. I have asthma& could tell that the air was steadily worsening. Since moving have met several others here who have moved for the same reason - bad general air quality. Sad to leave but so glad we did. Our lungs are very grateful!

I might be lucky, I live on 5 Rai, surrounded by a mix of small farms, high end villas, and a few small housing estates.

The locals burn stuff, and also on the land I live, but I always assumed they did it when the wind was favorable as to not disturb. It always fascinated me as one of the niceties of Thailand though I never inquired about it. Why would I, it seems respectful to the neighbors.

I've witnessed a big pile of whatever being built up maybe 30 meters from my house, sat for days, and burned in correct winds away from the local inhabitants.

So where did you think the smoke eventually ended up? Maybe not in the gardens of the immediate neighbors, but it has to go somewhere. It doesn't matter if the land is full of burners considerate to their immediate neighbors, they're still burners, polluting the atmosphere.

Sorry but I have little sympathy with those "bothered" by smoke !

These people should have undertaken "due diligence" before settling in an area known for "burning."

My late Father in Law a Dorset (UK) dairy farmer was extremely vocal in his condemnation of "townies" who moved into the village and then began complaining about countryside smells and noises ! Once such person who had a house which backed on to the FIL's land was once treated, accidentally, to the full force output of a muck spreader ! .

Edited by johnatong

Sorry but I have little sympathy with those "bothered" by smoke

It's a strange comment because not many expats care about the smoke if the interest in these topics is any indicator. I wonder if you have sympathy for the millions of thai children who don't have a choice where to live. Not only does the smoke in their lungs effect every single one of them, but it also teaches and conditions them at a young age it is totally acceptable behavior to ruin the only air source for everyone else.

Sorry but I have little sympathy with those "bothered" by smoke !

These people should have undertaken "due diligence" before settling in an area known for "burning."

My late Father in Law a Dorset (UK) dairy farmer was extremely vocal in his condemnation of "townies" who moved into the village and then began complaining about countryside smells and noises ! Once such person who had a house which backed on to the FIL's land was once treated, accidentally, to the full force output of a muck spreader ! .

When the smells and noises of the Dorset farm start to kill people as far away as Scotland, I suspect you may become more sympathetic and your father in law more responsible!

As for due diligence: anyone who did due diligence on this subject ten years ago would have been convinced the air in northern Thailand was perhaps a little dirty in March but nothing more, such has been the fight to get the true extent of the pollution, into the public domain. Even today, the true extent of PM2.5 pollution in the North is not fully and accurately understood, I mean, it's not as though we could call the EPA or DEFRA and ask them to stop by and check, is it!

Edited by chiang mai

Why don't you grow a pair and tell them to put out the fires. Complain to them not us. We at Thai Visa need to worry about more important things.

Now, why can't I send my 8 year kid, to buy me beer at 7/11 ?

... agricultural and waste management situation that's been going on for hundreds of years ... Great cautionary tale about doing extra diligence ... before investing tons of money into the dream of living in paradise.

Words of wisdom from "Impulse".

Aside from the obvious point that you decided to live there; it seems a logical workaround would be to close your windows and turn on the a/c.

"as you all know very hot,where i live"

Excuse my ignorance....but why do you think we should all know where you live.?..

When I was drinking I didn't know where I lived myself half of the time. 555

Edited by dotpoom

Why don't you grow a pair and tell them to put out the fires. Complain to them not us. We at Thai Visa need to worry about more important things.

Now, why can't I send my 8 year kid, to buy me beer at 7/11 ?

Because he will drink it?

That's absolutely perfect. Better your neighbors will have the pollution, dirt, smoke and health problems. Congrats!1zgarz5.gif

Like many things here Id call it "The Lazy way"

whistling.gif Burning of the Sugarcane fields is done before the Cane fields are cut.

Reason for this is because such things as Spiders, Snakes, and such live in the Sugarcane.

The fire drives these nasties out, but the Cane stalks do not burn easily and can be easily harvested.

The fire chases away all the dangerous nasty things.....and makes it safe for the cutters to harvest the cane.

Most of the cutters are probably third country migrants here in Thailand.....such as Burmese, or Cambodians.

A yearly thing.

Like many things here Id call it "The Lazy way"

-----------------------

I lived in Puerto Rico for 5 years back in the 1970's.....that is the cheapest way to clear the Cane fields..

Edited by IMA_FARANG

So where did you think the smoke eventually ended up? Maybe not in the gardens of the immediate neighbors, but it has to go somewhere. It doesn't matter if the land is full of burners considerate to their immediate neighbors, they're still burners, polluting the atmosphere.

Typical NIMBY.