fed up with smoke every day from bonfires cant open windows on such hot days

docspinoff

While I commiserate, you chose to move into an agricultural and waste management situation that's been going on for hundreds of years.

We all hope it stops, but your opportunity to "do something" about your predicament pretty much ended when you chose to move in.

Unless, of course, you're renting. Then you can still do something- extricate yourself from an unacceptable (to you) environment.

Change the situation? May as well tilt at windmills.

Great cautionary tale about doing extra diligence (beyond what you'd need to do back home) before investing tons of money into the dream of living in paradise. For that, I applaud you.

Best of luck.

Burning the stubble in rice fields is a fraction of the problem. It's the a-holes who set fire to the forests in order to stimulate the growth of pak wan and mushroom. So much ecological damage and health risks for a few million baht of 'wild' produce. Wow! What a boon to the Thai GNP. <not>

Edited by connda

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I moved back to Udon...just could not handle the pollution/smoke/traffic of Chiang Mai. We are about 4 kilometers outside the city. The air is sooo much better. I really don't miss CM overly much....except our trips outside the city. Cool and windy outside this morning. but hot weather for 10 days this month.

Poster might build a fireplace in his home, to mask the smell of the outside smoke. (lol)

And you guys have cane fields all over the place up there. Ag burning isn't the problem. Burning forests is.

going on for hundreds of years.

That's a common misconception because actually it's new in our generation. Traditionally Thailand grew organic because that's all there was. What used to be reused to nourish the soil is now called "agricultural waste" and burned in this era of chemical and poison farming. I ran across someone who has been in Northern Thailand since the 70's which was the time before farming methods changed. He described burning back then as seldom and the air as clean. Compare that to today where maybe 8 months out of the year the north is blanketed in heavy smoke pollution that is harmful to the entire population there. It's the same/worse every year. Nothing will be done about this in our lifetime.They give a little lip service to pass the time, blame others, and wait for the rains to start--works like a charm every time so why do anything? They already have the perfect solution in place.

As far as what you can do, leaving is probably the best thing for your health. Otherwise make an artificial atmosphere in your house with windows and doors always closed, AC always on, and high quality air filters running. Stay inside during the dangerous 8 months of the year. When outside always wear a face mask like the government warns residents to do. I sometimes wonder if the lungs of people in the north are worse than heavy chain smokers.

8 months? Do you actually live here. Try 2 months, 3 on bad years.

I live in a mountain valley in Lamphun province. Most of the rice farmers don't burn, they plow the stubble under prior to planting. But the mountain forests??? They are on fire every day.

If you live in an urban center, you really don't understand what is going on with the burning. Get out of the city and look.

Edited by connda

going on for hundreds of years.

That's a common misconception because actually it's new in our generation. Traditionally Thailand grew organic because that's all there was. What used to be reused to nourish the soil is now called "agricultural waste" and burned in this era of chemical and poison farming. I ran across someone who has been in Northern Thailand since the 70's which was the time before farming methods changed. He described burning back then as seldom and the air as clean. Compare that to today where maybe 8 months out of the year the north is blanketed in heavy smoke pollution that is harmful to the entire population there. It's the same/worse every year. Nothing will be done about this in our lifetime.They give a little lip service to pass the time, blame others, and wait for the rains to start--works like a charm every time so why do anything? They already have the perfect solution in place.

As far as what you can do, leaving is probably the best thing for your health. Otherwise make an artificial atmosphere in your house with windows and doors always closed, AC always on, and high quality air filters running. Stay inside during the dangerous 8 months of the year. When outside always wear a face mask like the government warns residents to do. I sometimes wonder if the lungs of people in the north are worse than heavy chain smokers.

"8 months out of the year the north is blanketed in heavy smoke pollution that is harmful to the entire population there".

Rubbish nonesence and diatribe! I live North of Chiang Mai, I've lived in the province for almost 12 years,. Burning and pollution is bad for about six weeks from February through mid April, that's all.

The 8 months you quote is typical of somebody who has never even visited here for more than two weeks at a time, let alone lived here!

I'm guessing a typo and meant weeks rather than months otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Agreed.

I live in a town that is surrounded by sugar cane fields but for the past 2 years the air quality has gotten worse. Having said that, like may other parts of Thailand rainfall has been less than previous years which is probably part of the problem. However, local burning by residents has definitely increased. For me the most annoying part is not the smoke which is carried away by the daily winds but large deposits of ash covers everything and quite often washed clothes have to be re-washed. This too is a recent issue. Don't think there is much that can be done about it.

Sorry but I have little sympathy with those "bothered" by smoke

It's a strange comment because not many expats care about the smoke if the interest in these topics is any indicator. I wonder if you have sympathy for the millions of thai children who don't have a choice where to live. Not only does the smoke in their lungs effect every single one of them, but it also teaches and conditions them at a young age it is totally acceptable behavior to ruin the only air source for everyone else.

"oh the children! the poor children!" i have as much sympathy for the children as they have for me. why dont you move next to a big airport where the sound of aircraft annoy you? it will take your mind off the smoke.

Since my wife 'broke her family's rat,cockroach,and all other lovely creatures,infested' house and built a modern bungalow style house with all mod cons,my darling MIL(77 years and no sign of expiring yet) refuses to live in it.She sleeps outside and even still washes herself in the back yard.

In the mornings she squats over a wood and coal fire producing plumes of smoke which find their way into the new house.She sits on her haunches prodding the fire and glaring at us(epecially me) with a demonic eye.She looks like a witch doctor preparing a solution for curing boil's.We suffer this because she likes to eat some of the isaan crap that,just to look at gives me the shits for a week.We also suffer the smoke that invades the house because she is my wifes mother.I can sympathise with the op that has to put up with the smog produced by the fires that he complains about.We have this every day all year long.I tried toget my wife to explain to her about the Massetueses witch trials,but to no avail,(my wife just laughed)

Cest la vie.

Since my wife 'broke her family's rat,cockroach,and all other lovely creatures,infested' house and built a modern bungalow style house with all mod cons,my darling MIL(77 years and no sign of expiring yet) refuses to live in it.She sleeps outside and even still washes herself in the back yard.

In the mornings she squats over a wood and coal fire producing plumes of smoke which find their way into the new house.She sits on her haunches prodding the fire and glaring at us(epecially me) with a demonic eye.She looks like a witch doctor preparing a solution for curing boil's.We suffer this because she likes to eat some of the isaan crap that,just to look at gives me the shits for a week.We also suffer the smoke that invades the house because she is my wifes mother.I can sympathise with the op that has to put up with the smog produced by the fires that he complains about.We have this every day all year long.I tried toget my wife to explain to her about the Massetueses witch trials,but to no avail,(my wife just laughed)

Cest la vie.

Excellent post, from someone who lives in "the real Thailand"

Have a brother in law who comes down from upcountry and sleeps outside on the balcony rather than the a/c bedroom..

For me, thankfully I dont live in the real Thailand, moved to a gated community, none of this crap takes place.

None of the family live anywhere near us.

Was sat outside a Thai mom n pop place (Bkk) the locals were having a few beers and a few laughs.

A couple of tables down some upcountry ban nork type started setting fire to plastic bags to get the BBQ going.

The smell and smoke was rancid, he was told to ferk off, the locals even poured beer over the fire to stop it.

He honestly didnt know what he had done wrong.

Ban nork ban nork, even the Thais know about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOD97nANiQ

I moved back to Udon...just could not handle the pollution/smoke/traffic of Chiang Mai. We are about 4 kilometers outside the city. The air is sooo much better. I really don't miss CM overly much....except our trips outside the city. Cool and windy outside this morning. but hot weather for 10 days this month.

Poster might build a fireplace in his home, to mask the smell of the outside smoke. (lol)

Is Udon one of the few places in Thailand that does not suffer much from haze/pollution?

Sorry but I have little sympathy with those "bothered" by smoke !

These people should have undertaken "due diligence" before settling in an area known for "burning."

My late Father in Law a Dorset (UK) dairy farmer was extremely vocal in his condemnation of "townies" who moved into the village and then began complaining about countryside smells and noises ! Once such person who had a house which backed on to the FIL's land was once treated, accidentally, to the full force output of a muck spreader ! .

You quote a load of old farmyard manure, ahhhhh Johatong me lad.

I have every sympathy for those that have to put up with other selfish people`s crap. The problem is that although there are laws against polluting the air we breath with toxic poisonous fumes, there are no ways these laws are ever going to be enforced until someone at the top decides to come down heavy on the culprits. In Thailand they believe the laws are only the laws until they decide to act upon them, the rest are stored under moth balls until they feel a need to dig them out and call them the law again. For the people that are being choked by smoke fumes every day or having their eardrums blasted by loud music during the evenings, there is sweet FA they can do about it other then declaring war on their neighbours fighting against the odds or just accepting the situation for how it is.

Happen to be in the process of cleaning exterior of house. Photo shows roof fascia board with exactly two year's worth of soot buildup. Entirely from agricultural burning, mostly sugar cane; no forest fire burning in the area. It should be noted that soot adheres unusually well to the enamel paint shown here, but, nevertheless, does give an idea of what's in the air.

post-215904-0-98905300-1459389424_thumb.

Edited by Gecko123

Happen to be in the process of cleaning exterior of house. Photo shows roof fascia board with exactly two year's worth of soot buildup. Entirely from agricultural burning, mostly sugar cane; no forest fire burning in the area. It should be noted that soot adheres unusually well to the enamel paint shown here, but, nevertheless, does give an idea of what's in the air.

attachicon.gifDSCN7312.JPG

More likely to be a combination of things, especially mildew which is seen every where here.

whistling.gif Burning of the Sugarcane fields is done before the Cane fields are cut.

Reason for this is because such things as Spiders, Snakes, and such live in the Sugarcane.

The fire drives these nasties out, but the Cane stalks do not burn easily and can be easily harvested.

The fire chases away all the dangerous nasty things.....and makes it safe for the cutters to harvest the cane.

Most of the cutters are probably third country migrants here in Thailand.....such as Burmese, or Cambodians.

A yearly thing.

My sources emphatically tell me that the burning of the sugar cane fields has nothing to do with driving out creepy crawlies. They tell me that there are typically very few snakes in sugar cane fields. The cane is burned for two reasons: (1) it is easier to cut without all the debris and leaves getting in the way, and, (2) because farm labor is scarce in many areas, the available labor can be used more efficiently (more cane can be cut per man hour).

More likely to be a combination of things, especially mildew which is seen every where here.

Gee, chiang mai, I wonder who has a better idea of what caused the soot buildup?

Me, who lives here and is up on scaffolding scrubbing it off, or you sitting at your computer looking at a picture?

Give me a break. LOL.

Was sat outside a Thai mom n pop place (Bkk) the locals were having a few beers and a few laughs.

A couple of tables down some upcountry ban nork type started setting fire to plastic bags to get the BBQ going.

The smell and smoke was rancid, he was told to ferk off, the locals even poured beer over the fire to stop it.

While the video definitely is making fun of the lack of sophistication about rural people, it is done in a very light-hearted teasing way, certainly not with condescending snobbishness. Not 100% sure about this, (andI'm not pretending I could make out the dialogue), but at the end of the video the woman who sees herself as above her country relatives, appears to be humbled by being reminded that deep down she's not that different from her kin back home. I don't think urban Thais harbor condescending attitudes towards rural people to the extent your post suggests.

Gee, chiang mai, I wonder who has a better idea of what caused the soot buildup?

Me, who lives here and is up on scaffolding scrubbing it off, or you sitting at your computer looking at a picture?

Give me a break. LOL.

Oooo, sensitive, maybe you don't have mildew where you live, most everyone else does!

While the video definitely is making fun of the lack of sophistication about rural people, it is done in a very light-hearted teasing way, certainly not with condescending snobbishness. Not 100% sure about this, (andI'm not pretending I could make out the dialogue), but at the end of the video the woman who sees herself as above her country relatives, appears to be humbled by being reminded that deep down she's not that different from her kin back home. I don't think urban Thais harbor condescending attitudes towards rural people to the extent your post suggests.

I don't think urban Thais harbor condescending attitudes towards rural people to the extent your post suggests.

My post suggested nothing, you of course can feel free to interpret any way you choose.

I only have to turn on the television every night to see the stereotypes being played out on these mind numbing Lakorns, opium for the people.

The ban norks from Issan living in Bkk piss themselves laughing at it.

The irony of it all.

Why don't you grow a pair and tell them to put out the fires. Complain to them not us. We at Thai Visa need to worry about more important things.

Now, why can't I send my 8 year kid, to buy me beer at 7/11 ?

Where do you live? My 8 year-old has been bringing my beer for a couple of years already. Now he's 8, he can use the motorbike too. Bonus!.

Why don't you grow a pair and tell them to put out the fires. Complain to them not us. We at Thai Visa need to worry about more important things.

Now, why can't I send my 8 year kid, to buy me beer at 7/11 ?

Where do you live? My 8 year-old has been bringing my beer for a couple of years already. Now he's 8, he can use the motorbike too. Bonus!.

If your 8 year old has been bringing home "5 packs", I've got some bad news...

4 packs you say? There's a 12 step program for that.

If it really is as hot outside as you say, why would you want to open the windows in the first place? My house is nice and cool (well maybe not 'cool' but at least it's tolerable) in the morning. I measured it to be 26° inside and 30° outside. As the day passes, it can get up to 35-37° outside while inside it stays at or under 30 - if the windows stay closed. Opening the windows is the best way to let all that heat (and smoke) into your house.

Keep the windows closed. I know not everyone can afford it, but if you can, invest in some insulation (stud walls) for the perimeter walls and maybe consider turning on the a/c during the hottest part of the day. In a properly constructed and insulated room, you'll be surprised how little energy it takes to be comfortable.

If it really is as hot outside as you say, why would you want to open the windows in the first place? My house is nice and cool (well maybe not 'cool' but at least it's tolerable) in the morning. I measured it to be 26° inside and 30° outside. As the day passes, it can get up to 35-37° outside while inside it stays at or under 30 - if the windows stay closed. Opening the windows is the best way to let all that heat (and smoke) into your house.

Keep the windows closed. I know not everyone can afford it, but if you can, invest in some insulation (stud walls) for the perimeter walls and maybe consider turning on the a/c during the hottest part of the day. In a properly constructed and insulated room, you'll be surprised how little energy it takes to be comfortable.

Exactly, almost identical to my house, insulation and roof ventilation are key.

Tip: open windows and doors around 5pm to let the cooler air in as the heat that's accumulated in the walls and roof starts to penetrate the living space, easy peazy.

Gave up on the filthy air in CM - not just the burning - the year round bad air & moved to Hua Hin! Wish I had done it sooner. Of course I miss many aspects of CM but definitely not the bad air. It's only when you get away from it & live in a non polluted area do realize just how bad the air in CM really is

Gave up on the filthy air in CM - not just the burning - the year round bad air & moved to Hua Hin! Wish I had done it sooner. Of course I miss many aspects of CM but definitely not the bad air. It's only when you get away from it & live in a non polluted area do realize just how bad the air in CM really is

Not many will agree !

Most love the place because it provides them with opportunity to moan endlessly about the "air quality" and "immigration"! smile.png

Enjoy Hua Hin and hope the moaners do not follow ..............

I stayed here a couple of years and then did the same as you but for me it was Phuket, after a few years I realized that the six or eight weeks of burning each year was a small price to pay for living here hence I moved back. I suspect you may also get to that point.

I very much doubt it. Grew up in a small village in Wales near the sea, lived for 23 years in Hong Kong - near the sea & have realized I am so much happier living near the ocean. It's not the buning alone, it's what CM has become in the past decade. It's turning into a dust bowl. And sorry, but hua hin is not Phuket - never cared for Phuket personally. Happy as a clam!

I very much doubt it. Grew up in a small village in Wales near the sea, lived for 23 years in Hong Kong - near the sea & have realized I am so much happier living near the ocean. It's not the buning alone, it's what CM has become in the past decade. It's turning into a dust bowl. And sorry, but hua hin is not Phuket - never cared for Phuket personally. Happy as a clam!

Cool, so you didn't actually move because, of, "the filthy air in CM - not just the burning - the year round bad air", you moved because you want to live near the sea and have always done so, why didn't you just say that in the first place! We further note that you don't like Phuket and that Hua Hin is tops, which is also nice!