In Cm On Nov.6 - Will I Miss Loi Krathong?

boink

Originally thought the dates were 6-7-8 of Nov. So I arrive in the morning on the 6th. Will I miss everything? Will people still be launching the krathongs in the river that night? What about the balloon/lantern things (sorry I don't know what they're called) that rise up into the sky?

Thanks.

One of my employees says that she "thinks" the 6th is the last day, but she wasn't that sure. My Thai calender only has the 4th and 5th marked as holidays, but I know that is celebrated 3 days in Chiang Mai. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

The restaurant in our building, which looks out over the Ping River and many krathong launching sites, has been advertising a special Loy Krathong buffet for the 5th and 6th, so I think you will be able to see it on the 6th. Also, incidentally, according to my calendar, a previous poster is not right about the 4th and 5th being Friday and Saturday. It says that they are rather Saturday and Sunday.

6th is the main and final day of loy krathong in chiang mai.

How do you 'know'?

oppss i forgot the quote my source. been through that before on this forum. next time i wont forget to "quote".

some locals who work with us in the shop. say about 12 of them are all pretty sure thats its the 6th. (for what its worth) 5th. - loy krathong lek, 6th - wan loy krathong yay. thats the day they would have the krathong parade. so taken as the main event day for chiang mai.

the official loy krathong day for the whole thailand is however the 5th.

Edited by tigerbeer

6th is the main and final day of loy krathong in chiang mai.

How do you 'know'?

oppss i forgot the quote my source. been through that before on this forum. next time i wont forget to "quote".

some locals who work with us in the shop. say about 12 of them are all pretty sure thats its the 6th. (for what its worth) 5th. - loy krathong lek, 6th - wan loy krathong yay. thats the day they would have the krathong parade. so taken as the main event day for chiang mai.

the official loy krathong day for the whole thailand is however the 5th.

Sorry, I wasn't trying tarnish you, but having a credible source for info tells us if it is documented, or merely a translation of someone elses ideas...

The big parade through town will be on November 6th, Monday. You should be able to enjoy all the festivities and more when you arrive in Chiang Mai. Entertainment along with souvenir and food booths started today at Thapae Gate

Happy LK!

_ihop

Thanks for all the info. My CM friends are "pretty sure" things will still be going on then also... but isn't it odd that for such a major holiday, no one is exactly sure of when it actually begins and ends.

Boink, its not a major holiday. Major holiday would be Songkran, the thai new years. Loy Krathong is a festival. Different people around the country like to celebrate it according to their liking. Hence you cannot be sure when they plan to run a parade or when not to.

what cyberstar mentioned "Rule #2: Don't ever be sure of anything in Thailand ..." is exactly why none of us can give a definate answer. same same like visa

for what its worth. have fun mate :o time to celebrate............

tigerbeer is technically correct. Not that it matters. Halloween isn't a holiday in the U.S., but it sure is celebrated. Here's the link to public holidays at the TAT web site:

They are:

New Year's Day : Jan 1

Makha Bucha Day : late January to early March

Chakri Day : April 6

Songkran Day : April 13

National Labour Day : May 1

Coronation Day : May 5

Visakha Bucha Day : May

Asanha Bucha Day : July

Khao Phansa (Buddhist Lent) : July

HM the Queen's Birthday : August 12

Chulalongkorn Day : October 23