THE England thread

rijit

20 minutes ago, wilai said:

^That was a complement to Kane, not a pop! Keep going Alfie, you'll be at Trigg's level soon you dope!:cheesy:

To be fair, there's always plenty of scousers having a pop at him so i just thought this was another one, my apologizes ! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kadilo said:

According to something i read this morning (BBC i think), Vardy and Linguard declined to take one.

I did see Vardy clutching his right groin area at the end of the game, so perhaps there's a pointer...……..and as regards taking penalties, well, there are those who have the nerve and belief that they can slot one away and those who have misgivings at the time, so better to let those who want to have a go, do so.

In addition many players train at taking penalties whereas others don't (much) and confidence in one's belief has to take precedence at these times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

In addition many players train at taking penalties whereas others don't (much) and confidence in one's belief has to take precedence at these times.

Hopefully they have all been practicing.. because if it goes to sudden death they might all have to take one!

Was very impressed with the pens vs Columbia, even Henderson's needed a spectacular save.

• Like 1

vardy needed an injection for his groin just to make the bench apparently. so no shame in not taking a peno if he's carrying a knock.

and southgate said they've been practicing penalties a lot, it's just good management and preparation. pickford said he knew which way each of the colombia players would go and only falcao went differently from predicted.

england do seem a lot more prepared and professional for this world cup than usual. minus all the hype, egos, WAGs, marketing crap and traditional circus. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Hopefully they have all been practicing.. because if it goes to sudden death they might all have to take one!

Was very impressed with the pens vs Columbia, even Henderson's needed a spectacular save.

Ospina was cheating to his left before Henderson took that PK. You have to wonder if he had an idea Hendo was going that way.

4 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Ospina was cheating to his left before Henderson took that PK. You have to wonder if he had an idea Hendo was going that way.

Didn't spot that but as said all national teams will have the goal maps which show where players have put their past pens... not sure Hendo has taken that many previously though?! 

Even if you do know where somebody has shot previously, they can always bluff or double bluff ?

And if you hit them like Kane, I'm not sure they are possible to stop even if you know where they are going!

17 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Didn't spot that but as said all national teams will have the goal maps which show where players have put their past pens... not sure Hendo has taken that many previously though?! 

Even if you do know where somebody has shot previously, they can always bluff or double bluff ?

And if you hit them like Kane, I'm not sure they are possible to stop even if you know where they are going!

If a penalty is hit well enough the keeper won't stop it even if he guesses right.  A perfect example was the the 1990 semi when Shilton guessed right more than once but the German penalties were all spot on.

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

If a penalty is hit well enough the keeper won't stop it even if he guesses right.  A perfect example was the the 1990 semi when Shilton guessed right more than once but the German penalties were all spot on.

i seem to recall shilton just being old and not athletic enough to even make a dive at any of the german penalties in 1990. he seemed to just sit down on all of them.

55 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Sure there will be practice but even then there will be those with confidence who will be preferred (or ask to be) and others not so much...……..anyway a great end result!

26 minutes ago, StevieH said:

i seem to recall shilton just being old and not athletic enough to even make a dive at any of the german penalties in 1990. he seemed to just sit down on all of them.

Bit harsh mate!!  I saw a sports science doc on the subject that highlighted that shoot out.  They basically said that no one was stopping any of them but i would agree that Shilton was a senior citizen in footballing years!!

I am a bit dissappointed with Ashley Young. He is 2 footed but won't or can't get past people using his left foot. We need crosses coming in from both wings. Time for Rose or Delph? Who would you prefer?

23 minutes ago, champers said:

I am a bit dissappointed with Ashley Young. He is 2 footed but won't or can't get past people using his left foot. We need crosses coming in from both wings. Time for Rose or Delph? Who would you prefer?

Personally i think Rose showed enough when he came on to start on saturday.  No bias here, he just looked the more dangerous of the two going forward and i expect Sweden to sit quite deep and frustrate us.

If Rose gets anything back like the form of a year ago before his injury he's be nailed on to start anyway.  He really needs a good world cup too.

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, champers said:

Just now, carmine said:

Personally i think Rose showed enough when he came on to start on saturday.  No bias here, he just looked the more dangerous of the two going forward and i expect Sweden to sit quite deep and frustrate us.

Which brings up England's main deficit. The defense has been surprisingly good, but there is little creativity from the attacking mids. Few touches from Kane as he has not been getting adequate service. Much written about this in The Guardian today. Could be worrisome against Sweden.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Iv'e always said it, if you hit them anywhere in the top half of the goal no one's stopping em, only chance might be  if you hit it straight down the middle and the GK just stands there !

Edited by alfieconn

4 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Which brings up England's main deficit. The defense has been surprisingly good, but there is little creativity from the attacking mids. Few touches from Kane as he has not been getting adequate service. Much written about this in The Guardian today. Could be worrisome against Sweden.

Every team will sit deep against England after watching how their attack operated with ease in their first two games.

Southgate needs to find the key to unlocking this....and getting a full 90 mins of concentration because all I've seen from England so far are 45 min performances....not good enough to win the world cup so far!

1 minute ago, alfieconn said:

Iv'e always said it, if you hit them anywhere in the top half of the goal no one's stopping em, unless the GK stands up straight and thats where you put it !

Where's your scientific statistics to back up such a huge claim?? :tongue:

58 minutes ago, champers said:

Rose

39 minutes ago, carmine said:

If Rose gets anything back like the form of a year ago before his injury he's be nailed on to start anyway.  He really needs a good world cup too.

Agreed, he gives us some creativity in attack.

35 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Every team will sit deep against England after watching how their attack operated with ease in their first two games.

Southgate needs to find the key to unlocking this....and getting a full 90 mins of concentration because all I've seen from England so far are 45 min performances....not good enough to win the world cup so far!

That was a highlighted issue at the start.  We lost the Ox and Lallana was out of sorts, which left us short of players with end product.  It's really up to those players out there to conjure up a bit of magic- I'm really surprised Alli can't do anything.  

The only thing I can think is to get Rashford and Loftus Cheek on, though I'm not sure that will solve much.  Putting Rose on would boost left attack options.

Walker at right back always provided real potency coming forward, but for obvious reasons Trippier can't be moved.

It all boils down to not having a decent naturally creative midfielder.

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

That was a highlighted issue at the start.  We lost the Ox and Lallana was out of sorts, which left us short of players with end product.  It's really up to those players out there to conjure up a bit of magic- I'm really surprised Alli can't do anything.  

The only thing I can think is to get Rashford and Loftus Cheek on, though I'm not sure that will solve much.  Putting Rose on would boost left attack options.

Walker at right back always provided real potency coming forward, but for obvious reasons Trippier can't be moved.

It all boils down to not having a decent naturally creative midfielder.

oli kay of the times was talking about that today. kane's scored 6 goals but they've come from 3 pens after corners, 2 poacher's efforts from corners and 1 deflection, and he's scored them from only 9 shots. he's also only received 79 passes in 273 minutes, and not really had a chance from open play. england really lack midfield creativity.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, StevieH said:

oli kay of the times was talking about that today. kane's scored 6 goals but they've come from 3 pens after corners, 2 poacher's efforts from corners and 1 deflection, and he's scored them from only 9 shots. he's also only received 79 passes in 273 minutes, and not really had a chance from open play. england really lack midfield creativity.

I said this yesterday, you didn't need to read Olli Kay ?

In fact i can only think of two  goal's that have come from open play, one being Lingard's and the other one being the deflection from H which doesn't count , although one was a nicely worked free kick.

The problem is that the 3 so called creative players, Sterling, Dele and Lingard ain't creating, in fact none of them are doing too much at all apart from running around !

Edited by alfieconn

2 hours ago, champers said:

Rose has given us more both times he’s come on. He looks in good nick and should start ahead of Young. 

4 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

Not a huge fan atm  but thought we Could have used his 'muscle' against columbia 

Same here, but every soften he turns it on and looks good, and then...……..goes awol.

3 hours ago, jellydog said:

Which brings up England's main deficit. The defense has been surprisingly good, but there is little creativity from the attacking mids

That's been my main concern all along because England doesn't have a midfield maestro, someone who conducts things, runs the middle of the park and creates and takes chances. The ones who come to mind are the likes of De Bruyne, Hazard etc, but English creators...……..??

As below...……….I am a Man U fan but really can't see Young there in place of Rose. Anyway, lucky to still be available because he went "over the top" of the ball in a block tackle with a Columbian and it should have been a yellow, perhaps more. 

And as champers has said, he needs to take people on down that left side and get crosses in or get into the box. Rose deserves a run.

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Rose has given us more both times he’s come on. He looks in good nick and should start ahead of Young