Retirement

With all the different views expressed recently I find myself more than a little confused. :o

Would someone be so kind as to clarify the following for me please.

I am over 50, presently in UK and looking to get an OA (Extension based on Retirement)

As I understand it, I can get a single or multi-entry "O" from a UK consulate, travel to Thailand, transfer 800,000 Baht to a Thai bank and, 3 months later apply for the O to be converted to OA (Retirement). Am I correct so far?

Now a question:

Can I get a single or multi-entry TOURIST visa (not just an exempt stamp, a proper visa from a UK consulate) THEN travel to Thailand, transfer 800,000 Baht to a Thai bank and, 3 months later apply for an OA (Retirement)??

A subtle difference but at my stage this would be very useful to know as the tourist visa is easier to get.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike

Edited by VBF

I saw a similar thread recently from a retired farang couple who came here on a 3 month tourist visa with the view of doing exactly what you just said and the answer was a resounding 'no' you cannot.

You should come here on a non immigration O visa and then apply for the retirement visa.

With all the different views expressed recently I find myself more than a little confused. :o

I am over 50, presently in UK and looking to get an OA (Extension based on Retirement)

As I understand it, I can get a single or multi-entry "O" from a UK consulate, travel to Thailand, transfer 800,000 Baht to a Thai bank and, 3 months later apply for the O to be converted to OA (Retirement). Am I correct so far?Mike

No.

If, as you say, you want to go down the Non-Immigrant 'O-A' route, you will not have to show funds in a Thai bank until a year after you arrive on the 'O-A' and the extensions to which you refer do not apply.

Your funds will be confirmed in your home country (in Sterling) prior to visa issue.

An 'O-A' is certainly more time consuming and expensive, but it does mean that you will get a permission of stay for twelve months on arrival.

You will not need to worry about transferring funds in from abroad until your first renewal in the twelfth month following. your arrival.

No.

If, as you say, you want to go down the Non-Immigrant 'O-A' route, you will not have to show funds in a Thai bank until a year after you arrive on the 'O-A' and the extensions to which you refer do not apply.

Your funds will be confirmed in your home country (in Sterling) prior to visa issue.

An 'O-A' is certainly more time consuming and expensive, but it does mean that you will get a permission of stay for twelve months on arrival.

You will not need to worry about transferring funds in from abroad until your first renewal in the twelfth month following. your arrival.

Thanks Noel but I thought I HAD to get the "O" in UK and THEN convert to OA in Thailand?

Plus isn't a single entry O only good for 90 days?

At least that's what the UK consulates seem to be saying.......

No.

Thanks Noel but I thought I HAD to get the "O" in UK and THEN convert to OA in Thailand?

Plus isn't a single entry O only good for 90 days?

At least that's what the UK consulates seem to be saying.......

Not the case as far as I am aware.

'O-A' visas are only issued in your home country: the 'A' designates 'Approved'.

You can of course just get a single ebtry Non-immigrant 'O' and extend after 60 days on the grounds of retirement. That is when you would have to meet the financial criteria, although you would not have to provide a Police Report showing you have no criminal record.

'O-A' visas are only issued in your home country: the 'A' designates 'Approved'.

You can of course just get a single ebtry Non-immigrant 'O' and extend after 60 days on the grounds of retirement. That is when you would have to meet the financial criteria, although you would not have to provide a Police Report showing you have no criminal record.

Whilst appreciating your help Noel, you appear to be contradicting yourself! The UK is my home country so Yes that's where I'd apply for the "O". Then you say I need to show finance after 60 days - but I thought the "O" was good for 90 days not 60 (?)

But earlier you said "You will not need to worry about transferring funds in from abroad until your first renewal in the twelfth month following. your arrival."

Then again there's this thread Retirement visa from 30 day stamp which implies that one can convert a 30 day "Exempt stamp into a "Retirement" visa. If that's possible, surely a proper Tourist Visa may be converted?

Sorry but now I'm even more confused!!!

Edited by VBF

As I understand it, I can get a single or multi-entry "O" from a UK consulate, travel to Thailand, transfer 800,000 Baht to a Thai bank and, 3 months later apply for the O to be converted to OA (Retirement). Am I correct so far?

Yes, you are correct so far.

Now a question:

Can I get a single or multi-entry TOURIST visa (not just an exempt stamp, a proper visa from a UK consulate) THEN travel to Thailand, transfer 800,000 Baht to a Thai bank and, 3 months later apply for an OA (Retirement)??

A subtle difference but at my stage this would be very useful to know as the tourist visa is easier to get.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike

If you wish to do as you describe, the answer is basically yes you can.

You can enter Thailand on a Tourist Visa or even a Visa On Entry if you wish. Then transfer 800K to a Thai bank. Better still, transfer 800K immediately if you already have a Thai bank account.

You can apply at Immigration office immediately on arrival in Thailand and receive a Visa-O (not an OA) with 3-month validity. This can be changed to a "Retirement Visa" i.e. extended to 1-year validity 3-months later when your 80K is 3-months old. Note that Visa-O issued within Thailand will generally be a single entry. If you need multiple entry you would be better off with the Visa-O with 1-year validity and multiple re-entry permit obtained from the UK.

I have been using 30-day Visas on Arrivals for years. I went to Jomtien Immigration last week and obtained a "Retirement Visa" without too much difficulty. Report HERE.

Note that I live in Pattaya. This is personal esperience and not heresay overheard in a pub. Hope it helps.

Edited by khunyae

Retirement visa from 30 day stamp[/url] which implies that one can convert a 30 day "Exempt stamp into a "Retirement" visa. If that's possible, surely a proper Tourist Visa may be converted?

A 30 day stamp or tourist visa can be converted to an "O" visa. The money at THIS time does not need to be in the bank acct for 90 days. This is expected to change around Nov 15th.

The extension of stay based on retirement (from the 90 day "O" visa you acquire) does require 800K in the bank for three months.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Whilst appreciating your help Noel, you appear to be contradicting yourself! The UK is my home country so Yes that's where I'd apply for the "O". Then you say I need to show finance after 60 days - but I thought the "O" was good for 90 days not 60 (?)

But earlier you said "You will not need to worry about transferring funds in from abroad until your first renewal in the twelfth month following. your arrival."

Then again there's this thread Retirement visa from 30 day stamp which implies that one can convert a 30 day "Exempt stamp into a "Retirement" visa. If that's possible, surely a proper Tourist Visa may be converted?

Oh dear, you do indeed seem to be confused if you believe I am contradicting myself. :o

Perhaps you need to take a breath and re-read what I have told you.

Before you do, please understand that a Non-Immigrant 'O-A' visa is a pre-approved extension issued in your home country.

A standard Non-Immigrant 'O' can be extended within the last 30 days of its 90 day vailidity, once you are in Thailand.

As many Thai say, they are 'same-same but different'... :D

Oh dear, you do indeed seem to be confused if you believe I am contradicting myself. :o

Before you do, please understand that a Non-Immigrant 'O-A' visa is a pre-approved extension issued in your home country.

A standard Non-Immigrant 'O' can be extended within the last 30 days of its 90 day vailidity, once you are in Thailand.

I think I see now Noel - the (my) confusion is that I asked originally if I could get an O in the UK and convert to an OA in Thailand. You answered thinking i wanted to get an OA in UK which is really difficult as consulates cannot issue them - only the embassy can! Would you please re-read my OP and see if that's where you/I/we got confused!!!!

I have been using 30-day Visas on Arrivals for years. I went to Jomtien Immigration last week and obtained a "Retirement Visa" without too much difficulty. Report HERE.

Note that I live in Pattaya. This is personal esperience and not heresay overheard in a pub. Hope it helps.

Thanks Khunyae - it was your report that got me thinking in the first place! :o

Retirement visa from 30 day stamp[/url] which implies that one can convert a 30 day "Exempt stamp into a "Retirement" visa. If that's possible, surely a proper Tourist Visa may be converted?

A 30 day stamp or tourist visa can be converted to an "O" visa. The money at THIS time does not need to be in the bank acct for 90 days. This is expected to change around Nov 15th.

The extension of stay based on retirement (from the 90 day "O" visa you acquire) does require 800K in the bank for three months.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt - Thank you too!!!!

So, the Tourist visa must be converted to an "O" and THEN the "O" to an "OA (retirement) - correct?

Would you please elaborate on what money you are referrring to - do you mean that after Nov 15 you expect that one will need money in a Thai bank just to convert a Tourist visa to an "O", or do you mean that I do NOT need to show money in the bank to get an "O" but that I DO need to show money in the bank to get the "O" converted to an "OA"? Am I correct in saying that this money needed to get the "O" converted to an "OA" must be in the bank for 3 months prior to application even for a first time applicant?

In other words, Sunbelt, paraphrasing my OP, and apologies for repeating myself:

Can I get a single or multi-entry TOURIST visa from a UK consulate, THEN travel to Thailand, then if I want a Retirement Extension must I convert the Tourist visa to an "O" ? THEN do I transfer 800,000 Baht to a Thai bank and, 3 months later apply for an OA (Retirement)??????

Oh dear, you do indeed seem to be confused if you believe I am contradicting myself. :D

I think I see now Noel - the (my) confusion is that I asked originally if I could get an O in the UK and convert to an OA in Thailand. You answered thinking i wanted to get an OA in UK which is really difficult as consulates cannot issue them - only the embassy can! Would you please re-read my OP and see if that's where you/I/we got confused!!!!

Errmm, no: I stand by what I said. :D

As I tried to explain (with a stellar lack of success it would appear), you can only get a Non-Immigrant 'O-A' visa in your home country and the only place that can issue same is an embassy or consulate in your home country.

You say: "i wanted to get an OA in UK which is really difficult as consulates cannot issue them - only the embassy can! "

That only proves to me that you are even more confused than I first thought or are just having a laugh. If the above is really the case (it is not) then perhaps you should go to the Embassy and not a Consulate...? :o

Oh well, it seems that all I have achieved is to confuse you all the more, so my work here is done... :D

Good luck in getting the answers you want to hear, right or wrong as they may be.

Sunbelt - Thank you too!!!!

You are welcome.

So, the Tourist visa must be converted to an "O" and THEN the "O" to an "OA (retirement) - correct?

It is converted to a "O" as it is inside Thailand. The "OA" is only given by a Thai Embassy.

Would you please elaborate on what money you are referrring to - do you mean that after Nov 15 you expect that one will need money in a Thai bank just to convert a Tourist visa to an "O",

After ( aprox) November 15th, You will need it in the bank and must of been in the bank for three months before you can do a change of visa.

or do you mean that I do NOT need to show money in the bank to get an "O"

If you apply for a "O" outside the country, some Embassies will want to see money, others will not ask.

Inside Thailand, they will always ask to see 800K unless you show a 65K pension per month or combination.

but that I DO need to show money in the bank to get the "O" converted to an "OA"?

Again an "OA" is only given outside Thailand so you never would of gotten a "O" in the first place.

Am I correct in saying that this money needed to get the "O" converted to an "OA" must be in the bank for 3 months prior to application even for a first time applicant?[/

No, see above.

Can I get a single or multi-entry TOURIST visa from a UK consulate, THEN travel to Thailand, then if I want a Retirement Extension must I convert the Tourist visa to an "O" ?

Bingo!!! By Golly, yes you got it !!! :o

THEN do I transfer 800,000 Baht to a Thai bank and, 3 months later apply for an OA (Retirement)??????

You were doing very good till you said "OA" Lets substitute "extension of stay based on retirement" for "OA" and this would then be a correct statement.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

the (my) confusion

VBF, your confusion becomes evident from line 4 in your original post, where you think that OA is an extension of O, and this confusion is confirmed by the subsequent two lines where you believe that after entering on an O you can convert in Thailand to an OA.

The principle you outline in those first few lines is correct, only the terminology you use is wrong, and this is not helped by the fact that subsequent posts use “visa” in place of “extension”, etc.

From those first few lines of your original post it is clear to me what you intend to do, and these are the various steps:

1. Get a single-entry non-immigrant visa, type O, from a Thai consulate in the UK. On the application form, purpose of visit: “investigate retirement possibility”

2. Fly to Thailand. You receive permission to stay for 90 days.

3. After arrival in Thailand, open a savings account, transfer the equivalent of minimum 800K Baht into this account.

4. At any time during the last 30 days of your permitted stay (best not wait until the last day), apply at any immigration office in Thailand for an annual extension of stay for the reason of retirement.

You see, with what you intend to do the “OA” – which would be an entirely different thing but would also lead to retirement – does not enter into it at all and any discussion of it only serves to confuse you.

---------------

Maestro

OK guys - the Satang has finally dropped!!!! :D:o

Thank you all for your patience:

Sunbelt - I shall look out for further announcements after November 15 and thanks for correcting my mistake regarding the difference between "O" and "OA" which was fundamental to my confusion.

Maestro - thanks for also correcting my mistake regarding the difference between "O" and "OA" - and for your clearly worded explanation

Noel,

Thanks to you too but you may wish to know that on the Cardiff consulate website it says:

"At present Consulates are not authorised to issue the special NON-IMMIGRANT CAT 0-A Visa but once the working of the current system is established, the position could be reviewed."

It says to contact the EMBASSY for "OA". (Sunbelt appears to confirm this)

That was where my information came from and why I queried your solution!

The Hull consulate site doesn't even mention OA just O

Thanks again guys! :D

Edited by VBF

OK guys - the Satang has finally dropped!!!! :D:o

Thank you all for your patience:

Sunbelt - I shall look out for further announcements after November 15 and thanks for correcting my mistake regarding the difference between "O" and "OA" which was fundamental to my confusion.

Maestro - thanks for also correcting my mistake regarding the difference between "O" and "OA" - and for your clearly worded explanation

Noel,

Thanks to you too but you may wish to know that on the Cardiff consulate website it says:

"At present Consulates are not authorised to issue the special NON-IMMIGRANT CAT 0-A Visa but once the working of the current system is established, the position could be reviewed."

It says to contact the EMBASSY for "OA". (Sunbelt appears to confirm this)

That was where my information came from and why I queried your solution!

The Hull consulate site doesn't even mention OA just O

Thanks again guys! :D

So it seems that the confusion has crossed borders and uncertainty prevails, even in the camps of those one would think should know. :D

Whatever, 'VBF', as long as you are now clear as to how to proceed, then that is all that matters.

Good luck, and please do let us know when you have successfully battled through this bureaucratic minefield doubtless formulated by the committee that was given the task of designing a horse and came up with a camel... :D

i wanted to get an OA in UK which is really difficult as consulates cannot issue them - only the embassy can!
It is converted to a "O" as it is inside Thailand. The "OA" is only given by a Thai Embassy.

FWIW, a friend got an O-A Retirement Visa this past week at the Royal Thai Consulate in Chicago. I also have heard of people getting an O-A Retirement Visa at the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles as well as at the Honorary Consul in Honolulu.

Maybe the UK consulates won't but other countries' will? <shrug>

Which says, if you haven't already opened a Thai account with 800k in it *before* last entering Thailand, your 90-day permitted to stay clock will run out before you can establish 3-months (90+ days) of the required 800k in the bank. I suppose Immigration could/would provide a temporary "under review" extension (like with a support extension) 'til your bank account matures. But the beauty of the retirement extension (vice support extension) was getting that one year extension stamp the same day.

As Sun Belt says, after Nov 15 you'll need the 800k in the bank before entering Thailand on a 30-day stamp, then getting a visa in-country, and finally your extension of stay. If Immigration won't give out "under review" extensions, opening a bank account early will also apply to your first retirement extension of your Non Imm O visa.

And you may have to shop around for a bank that allows you to open an account with only a 30-day stamp, as some, like Bangkok Bank, can be picky.

Sounds like having sufficient retirment income and a letter from your embassy has become even more attractive. (Now lemme see -- when the baht reaches 20-to-1, I'll no longer qualify....... :o )

i wanted to get an OA in UK which is really difficult as consulates cannot issue them - only the embassy can!

FWIW, a friend got an O-A Retirement Visa this past week at the Royal Thai Consulate in Chicago. I also have heard of people getting an O-A Retirement Visa at the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles as well as at the Honorary Consul in Honolulu.

Maybe the UK consulates won't but other countries' will? <shrug>

Houston won't and they are known to be liberal. Just comes down to each Ambassador how they interpret the rules.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Hello Sunbelt, I am very confused as to what I need for retirement visa. Do I need proof of 40,000bht, Or just 800,000bht in thai bank for three months? It may have already been answered but if it was I didn't see or understand it.

I am married to a thai lady for 4 years now, but I thought the retirement visa would be my best choice, as I plan to move to thailand within the next 2 years. I will not not have 40,000 bht per month, but I can deposit the 800,000 in a thai bank.

Thank you Lopburi3. I have three studio condos in view talay 6, I had planned on renting two for awhile and when my social security kicks in ,use two to make aone bedroom and rent the other. I am just trying to figure out all my options.

Let's see if I can offer some clarification or just more confusion. :o

First, regarding consulates not being able to issue an O-A visa: If you substitute consulate with "honorary consulate" then I believe this is (or at least was less than 1 year ago) a correct statement. I checked with most US honorary Thai consulates and two British honorary Thai consulates at this time. The above statement about an honorary Thai consulate in Honolulu issuing an O-A seems to me to be incorrect heresay though I admit that I did not check with this specific office and the may have some special authorization that others do not.

Now to be real technical in terms of wording, as many in this forum seem to enjoy, would it not be correct to say that an Embassy per se does not issue visas at all and that it is actually the Consulates (Honorary or Royal) that issues visas (usually or perhaps always in the same compound with an embassy if it is a Royal Thai consulate). Just for fun question.

Now here is an important point regarding the money which only came clear to me after visiting both immigration and the US consulate in Chiang Mai today. Sunbelt touches on this in an earlier post here. You do not need to transfer 800 K and have it in a bank here in Thailand at all!!! There is the 65K income option. And what this means is what finally came clear today. Immigration requires you to obtain verification of your income from your consulate. And what does your consulate require? I can't say for any but the US consulate, but what they require is for you to fill out a form stating how much income you recieve monthly "from government or other sources". It does not need to be only government or even private pension income apparently. You put in your monthly income figure and then you raise your right hand and swear to the truth of what you put on the form. It does not require some tedious gathering of tax forms or bank statements or any other such thing that I previously suspected. But for me the key point was that your 65,000 baht monthly income could be from dividends or interest or royalties or whatever. Anyone else surprised by this or was I the only one in the dark on these points? Or was something in the above that was told me me incorrect or perhaps misunderstood? Is this the same with other consulates?

There is the 65K income option...It does not need to be only government or even private pension income apparently...could be from dividends or interest or royalties or whatever. Anyone else surprised by this or was I the only one in the dark on these points?

Not surprised at all, and the recent Police Order No. 606/2006 spells it out very clearly:

(3) Having evidence showing the monthly income not less than 65,000 Baht or,

(4) Having the records of saving money in the latest 3 months of account book of any Bank in Thailand not less than 800,000 Baht or,

(5) Having annual income combined with the saving money in the Bank not less than 800,000 Baht from on the date submitting the application.

No limititation whatsoever regarding the source of income.

---------------

Maestro

There is the 65K income option. And what this means is what finally came clear today.

Did you get a retirement extension, then, based strictly on having 65k income? I ask because another poster went the income route at CM Immigration, but they also wanted to see money in a Thai bank account (at least 200k was the 'recommended' figure, 'tho I doubt this is hard and fast, since technically you don't need *any* money in the bank).