is this even possible ?

speedtripler

Just been to true complaining last week but they say there is no fibre hooked up to my building yet

and the fastest they can give me down the phone line is 13/1 because the old copper wires are crap

and cant do more speed than 13/1

this is where it gets interesting ........

we was shopping in a mall this morning and the gf stopped at a 3bb stall and told him the problem

he entered the address into the computer and we picked our building off their service map

he said yeah ,cannot do fibre ....but

can do ADSL /VDSL no problem........free router and 8% off if pay 1 year in advance........

3BB_RegisterPage-update_20160328-03.png

would 3BB be able to deliver 30/5 or 50/10 over the same crap phoneline as true can only manage 13MB/s??

sounds like sales rep bullshit but who knows if they use the same constrainsts ?

The magic word is VDSL vs. ADSL.

Indeed in Germany e.g. they still try to get the most out of the old copper wires.

It all depends on how long the copper wire goes to the next connection point.

I agree with the previous post.

The high rates are achieved with local/regional sites.

Very rarely for real overseas content.

13 MBit/s down would server most needs.

20 / 4 MBit/s for 590 via VDSL sounds very tempting.

Even if they reach half of these rates for 590 Baht I would not think a second and book it.

Paying more for 30 / 5 is not worth for a typical expat use (single user, mostly international connections).

VDSL:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line

Top of the pops, VDSL with "vectoring".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line_2#Vectoring

Thanks for this topic, i just called them and asked if my old 50 /30 would be upgraded and they said it would be in about 1 month. It would be automatically.
i am paying the 2500bt and I love the speed but more speed is always good. I am on the 2500 because I also like the upload speed i need that too.

I do get the 50Mbps down contacting newsgroup servers in the USA.

Sounds like "content delivery network" to me.

Similar like cnn.com (as an example).

Very fast, actual content is mirrored in the region (Singapore or the like).

Same for most of Google, youtube, Microsoft, Facebook and many more.

Not much data actually traveling overseas (cable).

Your read a US or European PC magazine, click on a download.

Download is lightning fast -> because it does not come from overseas.

Also true for the mass updates like Flash update, Java update etc. pp.

Sounds like "content delivery network" to me.

Similar like cnn.com (as an example).

Very fast, actual content is mirrored in the region (Singapore or the like).

Same for most of Google, youtube, Microsoft, Facebook and many more.

Not much data actually traveling overseas (cable).

No it is not as you think it is.. the reason why i get those speeds is because of multiple connections. They certainly have no Asian servers. I always get these speeds from them, I actually get good speeds overal but here the trick is in the multiple connections.

I am extremely happy with the connection and happy to pay the price

is 3BB still enforcing FuP? (Fair use policy)

I remember it was limiting download speed to 1mbit after downloading more than 10-20 gb in same day.

Yes it does.. this starts at 17:00 till 24:00. I hate it of-course but that is how it is and I do most of my downloads outside that time anyway.

is 3BB still enforcing FuP? (Fair use policy)

I remember it was limiting download speed to 1mbit after downloading more than 10-20 gb in same day.

That isn't unreasonable imo

Anyone who uses the entire neighborhood bandwidth to watch HD TV all day is really a blight on the system

They should be forced into paying a bit more for the higher packages

OP,

Maybe 3BB meant the wires in your building/residence are crap...not up to stuff for higher speeds of xDSL.

Now I'm on high speed True DOCIS (cable) now but years back my moobaan only had TOT ADSL....I was originally on a 2Mb plan...OK I got that 2Mb. Later they increased the speed a little to 4Mb to my moobaan, I upgraded to 4Mb but couldn't get 4Mb inside the house to the modem. The wiring from the telephone pole to my house ran underground in a PVC conduit (installed by the house builder) and was just regular electrical wire; not telephone wire.

The TOT technician connected the phone/DSL wire to a digital analyzer where it hooked to that wire going underground and showed me a steady 4Mb speed readout. He then disconnected the analyzer , hooked together the phone line wire and the line going underground into my house, took the analyzer inside the house where it came in, and the analyzer would display an unstable approx 3Mb speed.

Summary: the plain old electrical wire the house builder had used from the telephone pole underground into the house could not deal with a higher speed ADSL signal...the line was fine for a telephone call and up to 2Mb ADSL speed. TOT then ran a new phone/DSL line from the pole into my house--problem solved.

Archived