about to clear my 2 years overstay

Level 4 thai airways first class check in row has comfy couches...i spent a night sleeping there once. No one disturbed me....they closed the counters and buggered off leaving me alone. Dont ask if u can use it...just wheel you luggage in and sit down and proceed from there.

Each couch had a reading lamp and even a charging socket.

Edited by JHolmesJr

Lets say he does get banned. Can't he just get a new passport and enter right away again?

After all, when you get a new passport you also get a new passport number and surely Thai immigration don't ban you based on your name.

Getting a new passport does not erase the records in immigration's database. They can and will do a name and date of birth search the first time a person enters the country with a new passport or one that does not have a history of previous entries in the database.

Two John Smiths could easily be born on the same day and year. Bit harsh to ban them all, because one overstay.

Have you forgotten about the photos taken on entry which are stored on the database alongside passport detail ?

What has the photo got to do with this? it will come up with the data keyed in?

• Like 1

Have you forgotten about the photos taken on entry which are stored on the database alongside passport detail ?

What has the photo got to do with this? it will come up with the data keyed in?

I do not know how the immigration system works, but very possibly. When details from a new passport are entered, the system might want the immigration official to confirm linkage of the new passport to an old one by reference to the saved photo from the old passport holder. Maybe.

I do not know how the immigration system works, but very possibly. When details from a new passport are entered, the system might want the immigration official to confirm linkage of the new passport to an old one by reference to the saved photo from the old passport holder. Maybe.

I think you are being too generous with your evaluation. Here in Thailand Akram is a guru.

It makes me laugh all this BS about facial recognition in Thailand.

People have been watching too many US shows, where everything is condensed or dramatised.

Even in First World countries with top end tech, it's takes a long time to match a face, assuming it is in the database in the first place!

Just think of all the pics on a database & then matching the features etc.

It will be many years before that is instantaneous.

• Like 1

and...is it possible to sleep in the airport the night before the 5:55am flight ??

will they let me do that ??

thanks

op

No problem to hang out in the airport waiting for your flight. Not sure you will get much sleep though.

There are a lot of cheap places to stay in the vicinity (i.e. within say 5-8 km) of the airport. Check on agoda or booking.com

Lat Krabang would be my suggestion.

Whilst you have certainly been negligent by overstaying I find it disappointing that you are receiving so much criticism here. Perhaps the critics have not erred in their lives in which case they have every right to criticize. I wish you the best of luck and hope you learn from your error and that the consequences are not too serious. I've been telling myself forever to make a note to myself to not procrastinate.

• Like 2

It makes me laugh all this BS about facial recognition in Thailand.

People have been watching too many US shows, where everything is condensed or dramatised.

Even in First World countries with top end tech, it's takes a long time to match a face, assuming it is in the database in the first place!

Just think of all the pics on a database & then matching the features etc.

It will be many years before that is instantaneous.

If they were using it it would be a limited database of top priority targets that would be matched against.... but then I don't see them currently having the computer terminals for properly displaying top matches and percentage match etc. It would likely be a list of near matches - not an exact match (fuzzy matching). So yes, if they did you would already have cleared the customs and immigration before an alert was issued.

Also, I would think that place of birth would be searched too.

This guy could have done a border hop a few weeks ago, a bit careless, to put it mildly.

Lets say he does get banned. Can't he just get a new passport and enter right away again?

After all, when you get a new passport you also get a new passport number and surely Thai immigration don't ban you based on your name.

Getting a new passport does not erase the records in immigration's database. They can and will do a name and date of birth search the first time a person enters the country with a new passport or one that does not have a history of previous entries in the database.

Two John Smiths could easily be born on the same day and year. Bit harsh to ban them all, because one overstay.

and...is it possible to sleep in the airport the night before the 5:55am flight ??

thanks

op

No problem to hang out in the airport waiting for your flight. Not sure you will get much sleep though.

There are a lot of cheap places to stay in the vicinity (i.e. within say 5-8 km) of the airport. Check on agoda or booking.com

I think he wants to deal with immigrations at the airport and reach the departure lounge before feeling relaxed enough to sleep.

Also, I would think that place of birth would be searched too.

This guy could have done a border hop a few weeks ago, a bit careless, to put it mildly.

it is usually name + date of birth and then list all those that match regardless of current passport. Relying on the stupidity of others (in this case immigration) is a fools errand....

Recently, when I have flown through either Phnom Penh or Penang, they take your fingerprints whilst the guy is stamping your passport. I would think that these might be recorded on one's biometric passport too.

Depends on the country. Biometrics include a digital copy of the photo in detail, and have space available for fingerprints.... but even with new Canadian biometric passports there is no fingerprints on there. Canadians are exempt from entry fingerprinting by the United States (special agreement) but then they do have a lot of access for searching RCMP database for outstanding warrants as well as criminal history. I was once asked why my fingerprints were on file but no information attached to them....

thanks

op

Whilst you have certainly been negligent by overstaying I find it disappointing that you are receiving so much criticism here. Perhaps the critics have not erred in their lives in which case they have every right to criticize. I wish you the best of luck and hope you learn from your error and that the consequences are not too serious. I've been telling myself forever to make a note to myself to not procrastinate.

I feel you are being rather overgenerous in describing a 2 year Overstay as "negligent" and an "error".

Patrick

I feel you are being rather overgenerous in describing a 2 year Overstay as "negligent" and an "error".

Patrick

There are probably a lot of hypocritical people on here.... I know that when going back to Canada that the MAJORITY of Canadians have committed a criminal act (as opposed to administrative violation) by underreporting or not reporting imported goods which is a considerable more serious offense than overstays are.

• Like 1

thanks

op

"I find it disappointing that you are receiving so much criticism here."

But you're not bothered by the relentless Thai bashing or negativity directed at virtually everything in Thailand in so many threads ? There are very few topics on TV that exist without engendering critical comments. Why should farang be exempt from some criticism too?

Yes, we all (even farang) make mistakes, but mistakes usually generate consequences, including a little tongue wagging. Some people may have reasonable explanations for overstaying, but it would appear that most who are surfacing now simply couldn't be bothered until the consequences became harsher and even though the warning about the harsher consequences has been out there for more than a year or two, getting their act together before the deadline was beyond them.

Considering all the posts on TV by those with overstays, and assuming those posting their experiences are a small percentage of the total, the mind boggles at how many people must have been in Thailand illegally. Is it any wonder the rules have finally been ramped up.

• Like 1

This guy is returning to a country where it seems just about anyone can walk in, even people from countries where a national would have to acquire a visa before travelling. What Frau Merkel did in Germany is the most stupidcrazy.gif thing that I have ever heard a politician do, in any country, or at any time in history!

Additionally, I have lived here since '98, and been visiting since '85, in all this time I have probably racked-up 5 overstays, usually a day or two. I've gone to a helluva lot of time, expense, and effort to stay within the laws of this country, I don't have any sympathy for people who do not.

• Like 1

And the mug shot taken after an overstay. Figured it was used to put the face to a name, so on your return, they plug your info, then your previous pic/overstay info pops up..

Arrive in Los Angeles, you get a hand scan, passport scan, and your photo taken..

Anyway... When they start using your finger prints to verify your arrival, a new passport won't work...

"I find it disappointing that you are receiving so much criticism here."

But you're not bothered by the relentless Thai bashing or negativity directed at virtually everything in Thailand in so many threads ? There are very few topics on TV that exist without engendering critical comments. Why should farang be exempt from some criticism too?

Yes, we all (even farang) make mistakes, but mistakes usually generate consequences, including a little tongue wagging. Some people may have reasonable explanations for overstaying, but it would appear that most who are surfacing now simply couldn't be bothered until the consequences became harsher and even though the warning about the harsher consequences has been out there for more than a year or two, getting their act together before the deadline was beyond them.

Considering all the posts on TV by those with overstays, and assuming those posting their experiences are a small percentage of the total, the mind boggles at how many people must have been in Thailand illegally. Is it any wonder the rules have finally been ramped up.

On what possible grounds could you suggest that I "am not bothered by the relentless Thai bashing or negativity directed at virtually everything in Thailand in so many threads"? I don't think I've made any comments to that effect on any post. If I have it was unintentional. I generally do not respond to those threads. Perhaps I shouldn't have posted to this one. Guess I just had a little wave of compassion. Cheers. Andrew.

Patrick

Yes.

My feeling is that the whole "good guys in - bad guys out" and enforcing any ban is impractical with the current 30 days "visa on arrival" system.

When John Smith arrive with a crispy new passport, the immigration officer have 30-40 seconds to process him, because there are 31 million other tourist right behind him.

When I cleared my 2 years plus overstay on the 16th at Mukdahan I was told next time I would get banned. They were very nice and polite but clearly explained that next time they wouldn't be that lenient with me. I don't know if it was because that they are more strict at Mukdahan or what - but I will for sure never overstay again.

And don't bother asking why I overstayed - I made a choice and I paid for it - I am not sure I would do it again but at the time it was my only option.

Of course not. Otherwise all sorts of criminals and miscreants would just get a new passport and "walk". Even before photos and face recognition, there were ways of referencing back to previous passport numbers and other methods for making a positive ID. Occasionally people with same name as someone on a watch list used to get detained by Immigration until the matter was sorted out. Very inconvenient for someone who just happens to share same name and birthdate with a "bad guy", but sort it out they did until they were satisfied. May still happen, but not as lengthy a process nowadays.

try to go earlier to pay up as sometimes might need more time to find your overstay records or maybe some documentation. i overstayed once. and they lost all records of me coming into the country and so they took some time kinda checking on me and whatever they could do. immigration was very polite n nice to me. all in all it took for me 15-20mins to clear n pay the fine. that was last yr. No banned. But now i dont know with the new overstay rules.

Best of Luck.

5555,they certainly do,plus birth date,country etc.If you write down you have never been to Thailand,you are perjuring yourself as well.

Yeah,but unless they are identical twins,with unimaginative parents,one will be let in and one will not.