The Impermanence Of It All.

the swagman

Here I was coming home all smiles and generally feeling pretty good.

Earlier I had had my visa extended for a year, it took me 2 hours and I didn't have to say a word or talk to anyone. Got back to work and the afternoon class was a wipe out and I was also told my class size would be about 10. The top ten.

I had bought some things to take home and I was going to have a nice salad sandwich on good real bread.

Life was starting to turn?

Tonight I would sleep sound.

The taxi driver and I had a bit of a conversation on the way home and when we got to my place he didn't have any change. No biggie there i said as i fumbled in my pockets. Sorry a couple of baht short. Just a moment I will pop inside and get the right money. Sweet. I actually gave him a couple of baht extra.

So far so good.

Make a cup of tea, turn on the com, and read some.

Ah, yes, I'll ring my friend and have a chat. Phone. Where is it? Pockets? no, Bag? no.

Oh no. I've done it again. Old Magoo has done it again. I left the bloody thing in the cab. I can remember it falling between my legs as I fumbled around for change. I must not have picked it up.

I've been know to lose a phone or two before, but this time I wasn't drunk or drugged.

From a good day to a sad ending to a good day.

The impermanence of all feelings!

Edited by the swagman

Two thoughts:

Better visa renewed and phone lost than the other way around!

This is your opportunity to find a new phone that you like ( hope you saved your phone data somewhere so you can contact your friends).

Just looking for a positive spin to your problem. I lost a phone too not that long ago. Bummer.

:D I have lost more phones than I can remember which is a pain in the bottom :o . I did begin to copy the numbers down as I added them to the memory but became lazy andhave lost touch with lots of people :D . You never know, the driver may bring it back, I have actually had two returned to me. :D

I lost a couple 2....

We know we should back up nos, but getting the right cables/software/blue tooth Etc. can be a bit of a hassle.

A little trick: Save nos only to sim card (if you have more than 300 then it is maybe time to clean up...). Then occasionally do a "copy all nos from Sim card to telephone" on your phone. Take out your current sim card.

Then grap one of your old sim cards(can be expired/from other country or whatever - they are STILL memory chips) pop it into the phone and copy from telephone to the card. That way you have a copy of your nos should you lose the phone (and original sim card) again.

Cheers!

A little trick: Save nos only to sim card (if you have more than 300 then it is maybe time to clean up...). Then occasionally do a "copy all nos from Sim card to telephone" on your phone. Take out your current sim card.

Then grap one of your old sim cards(can be expired/from other country or whatever - they are STILL memory chips) pop it into the phone and copy from telephone to the card. That way you have a copy of your nos should you lose the phone (and original sim card) again.

thats what baldrick would have called "a cunning plan !"

excellent idea.

Cheers for the condolences.

I did try and ring the phone and suggest there is a reward but of course the phone has been switched off. I guess that kind of means something eh?

I also tried to write down all my mates numbers but then I lost the list.

It is a bummer losing the ###### things. Most of the time it is our own fault and so losing the phone is instant karma i suppose. But what irks me is all the information one loses in those ###### things. Now I have to wait for friends to call me before I can get their number again.

Its a hassle.

it happened today right, or yesterday ?

So not so long ago. maybe... Juuuuuuuust maybe, the cabbie will swing by next time he passes your neighbourhood.

It has happened before you know?

Anyway, if not... just stick on Led Zeppelin's Kashmir loud, and forget all your worries.

tw, i like the way you phrased your op, and then your instant karma comments.

T'is the way...

...The taxi driver and I had a bit of a conversation on the way home and when we got to my place he didn't have any change. No biggie there i said as i fumbled in my pockets. Sorry a couple of baht short. Just a moment I will pop inside and get the right money. Sweet. I actually gave him a couple of baht extra. ...
Let me guess, you were thinking this guy is trying the "I have no change"- scam on you to get an extra fat tip and you felt very smart to go in the house to get the exact money plus "a couple of baht" for him? :o

Wen Gum at it's best :D:D:D

...The taxi driver and I had a bit of a conversation on the way home and when we got to my place he didn't have any change. No biggie there i said as i fumbled in my pockets. Sorry a couple of baht short. Just a moment I will pop inside and get the right money. Sweet. I actually gave him a couple of baht extra. ...
Let me guess, you were thinking this guy is trying the "I have no change"- scam on you to get an extra fat tip and you felt very smart to go in the house to get the exact money plus "a couple of baht" for him? :o

No, not at all. I know how much it is and I don't pay any more. It was 50 and I only had 42 or 100. I thought I would do the right thing.

Here I was coming home all smiles and generally feeling pretty good.

Earlier I had had my visa extended for a year, it took me 2 hours and I didn't have to say a word or talk to anyone. Got back to work and the afternoon class was a wipe out and I was also told my class size would be about 10. The top ten.

I had bought some things to take home and I was going to have a nice salad sandwich on good real bread.

Life was starting to turn?

Tonight I would sleep sound.

The taxi driver and I had a bit of a conversation on the way home and when we got to my place he didn't have any change. No biggie there i said as i fumbled in my pockets. Sorry a couple of baht short. Just a moment I will pop inside and get the right money. Sweet. I actually gave him a couple of baht extra.

So far so good.

Make a cup of tea, turn on the com, and read some.

Ah, yes, I'll ring my friend and have a chat. Phone. Where is it? Pockets? no, Bag? no.

Oh no. I've done it again. Old Magoo has done it again. I left the bloody thing in the cab. I can remember it falling between my legs as I fumbled around for change. I must not have picked it up.

I've been know to lose a phone or two before, but this time I wasn't drunk or drugged.

From a good day to a sad ending to a good day.

The impermanence of all feelings!

Been there myself.. called the phone, it rang but no answer, then it was switched off.. I've actually forced myself into a habit of getting out of the taxi before i pay.. I check I have my phone and wallet.. Then I pay the guy. I also only buy crappy old phones now incase I do loose one. I must have lost a thousand pounds in lost phones over the years :o

Been there, done that,

That's why I buy the cheapest cell I can find,

because I know it's just a matter of time before I ....

I also don't buy expensive sunglasses anymore,

Good tip from Firefan, also there's software utilities you can use to store, edit and upload same,

:o

Edited by cobra

The Dude bought his 1st phone when he moved to BKK 4 years ago. He had it all of 2 days when a biatch he met in the Thermae ripped it off from his hotel room. The Dude was majorly pissed off but could do nothing about it. The Dude has seen the biatch many times since and no he never did hand her a shovel.

Cheers!

GOOD IDEA

You can also copy all numbers onto your sim, then pop the sim into a second phone (prehaps a cheap one, or an old one) copy all the numbers onto the backup phone, then put the sim back in the main phone, when and not if you lose your phone in the futur, purchase a new sim and all you numbers are on the backup phone..... ready to go. You can pick up a new Nokia here in thailand for less than 2000bht

Thanks for the compliments on my idea! :o (and yeah, I actually got the idea myself).

Softwares, 2nd phones and those back-up gadgets all cost money (and the back up gadgets run out of battery just when you need the memory - happened to me). The sim card does not require battery power to hold the data.

The Sim card method I mentioned usually costs nothing as most of us probably have a stack of them lying around anyway.

Also; softwares/cables/sync backup gadgets Etc. all require more energy and manuel reading (and where is that sync cable when I need it!?) - with the sim card method we already have the knowledge/tools as right in the phone menu.

Oh, and if one pick a different brand new phone (or even just newer model) the sync software might not work or cable not fit (both happened with my Siemens). The sim card fits anytime.

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

Hey swag,

My condolences.

You can't really blame the cabby either because there is a good chance he didn't even know your phone was on the floor.

His next fare could of seen it, picked it up and turned it off quickly and said nothing to him.

The info about storing phone numbers reminds me how technology is making us mental cripples in a lot of ways. Ten years ago I had over a hundred numbers in my head. Now I don't know anybody's number and can't even remember my OWN half the time.

And so it goes.

'nuff said

~

No, not at all. I know how much it is and I don't pay any more. It was 50 and I only had 42 or 100. I thought I would do the right thing.

To save 50 baht you forfeit a phone. oh the irony.