Retirement Extension of Stay, New Form Required?

I have been here for a decade on a Retirement Visa, extending it every year, and the next Extension of Stay is coming up soon. This year, my Thai wife suddenly tells me that a new Immigration form is required, one from our household owner. Her father owns the house we have lived in Nonthaburi for 10 years.

So I looked around and found Thai Immigration form Tm30, “Notification from House-Master, Owner or the Possessor of the Residence where Alien Has Stayed,” a form with flawed English grammar and spelling but otherwise understandable.

But my Thai wife insists that this is NOT the right form, since it says “Must notify within 24 hours from the time of arriving at the residence.” But I have lived here for a decade with no problem. She says that I need a Form “Tm23,” which I am unable to locate.

Please tell me who is crazy here: me, my wife, or the system? (In this heat, maybe all three.)

• Some offices are asking for the TM30 form to be completed and are using it as a form of proof of address.
  • The TM30 form should have already been submitted (within 24 hours of you moving in) but even if it had the immigration office would still likely need it completing again for the extension.

I am guessing, like others, that it is the TM30 that immigration want. The filling out of the form 3650 days late, rather than within 24 hours, may result in a fine of almost 1,000 baht. Fortunately, the penalty for failing to satisfy this archaic and arcane regulation is as outdated as the regulation itself.

I reported 2 weeks ago I took all forms as usual they said to me next time all I have to bring is report form TM47 I think it is and my passport............................ I will take all form as usual cos if you don't have they ask you for, if you have, they don't want. better safe than sorry

• Like 1

Unless you have changed your address since your last extension without telling Immigration, you do not need to include proof of address in your documentation. They will already have your current, correct address on their records for checking against the address on your visa extension application.

Unless you have changed your address since your last extension without telling Immigration, you do not need to include proof of address in your documentation. They will already have your current, correct address on their records for checking against the address on your visa extension application.

That might be the case at some offices and it can also depend upon the type of extension you are applying for.

Jomtien Immigration wanted proof of my address when I extended my permission to stay (based on retirement) in August last year. They accepted my Thai driving licence as proof.

Alan

It still amazes me that people that have lived here for many years still dont know that almost every immigration office in Thailand practice the Immigration law after their own understanding of it. You can argue until youre blue but youll always be on the loosing side. The times i heard, yes but in Jomtien they do like this, Udon they do like this other places do like this, must be in the many thousands over the years. Its just a fact that it is like this, accept the system, its how it is, or dont accept and it will get you in trouble.This have nothing to do with TS, he had a legit question, it just came to me when i read som of the replies he got. Some, here they dont ask for this form. Yes what should he do, move up to your place because they dont ask for this form. Some offices ask for bank books some dont, some ask for special documents other dont, some offisers are friendly and try to help you through the process as smooth as possible, others are just a pain in the butt and like to make your stay in the immigration office as unpleasant as possible. One thing is for sure. Even if you have all the requiered documents for a visa or extension or whatever you are applying for, it is still up to the individual immigration officer to accept or deny your application there and then without any explanation. And that he or she individual officer can do, even when you have every asked for documents requiered by the Thai Immigration Law.

• Like 2

As affen02 points out one office does it this way and another something different. And even one office can change from one year to another. The best advice is to go to the immigration office and ask although even then things could change on the day. I went a couple of weeks early and was told 'same as last year' only to find out that on the day it wasn't the same. Fortunately in my case I had given them too much (for this year). I am currently on the 30 day 'under consideration' wait.

It still amazes me that people that have lived here for many years still dont know that almost every immigration office in Thailand practice the Immigration law after their own understanding of it. You can argue until youre blue but youll always be on the loosing side. The times i heard, yes but in Jomtien they do like this, Udon they do like this other places do like this, must be in the many thousands over the years. Its just a fact that it is like this, accept the system, its how it is, or dont accept and it will get you in trouble.This have nothing to do with TS, he had a legit question, it just came to me when i read som of the replies he got. Some, here they dont ask for this form. Yes what should he do, move up to your place because they dont ask for this form. Some offices ask for bank books some dont, some ask for special documents other dont, some offisers are friendly and try to help you through the process as smooth as possible, others are just a pain in the butt and like to make your stay in the immigration office as unpleasant as possible. One thing is for sure. Even if you have all the requiered documents for a visa or extension or whatever you are applying for, it is still up to the individual immigration officer to accept or deny your application there and then without any explanation. And that he or she individual officer can do, even when you have every asked for documents requiered by the Thai Immigration Law.

I agree-------- Scary eh?clap2.gif

• Like 1

Nonthaburi immigration made both me, my husband, and my mother-in-law do this form for the first time for our extensions starting over a year ago (caretaker extension then, retirement extension this year). Seems to be their requirement now - fortunately we have a landlord who lives here and who is pretty responsive on these things.

I finally submitted the TM30 to Sam Koke Immigration, Pathum Thani, last year, only 19 years late. No problem, no fine, gal just typed the details into the computer and stapled a receipt into my passport. Did this same time as doing a 90-day report.

Mac

Mac

I usually just have the gf go with me they take the usual forms and a copy of her information.

never had an issue.

usually in and out in 30 miutes including my 90 day report got to love living in PT

I've been here 30+yrs, last 12 Retired. Rule- Agree to everything, smile, and do what they say. Never contradict.

I went to Laksi yesterday concerning retirement extension of stay. . No proof of address was asked for.

Yes. Did my last extension in December at Jomtien. Brought along a copy of the condo deed and a recent monthly condo invoice, neither of which I've needed in the past 8 or 9 years when renewing my extension. They kept them without comment and did not ask for TM.30 or anything else.

The lady just ahead of me was sent away for some reason. I think I overheard the word "address" in what she was told.

As a poster above noted, better to bring along everything you can think of even if it's not required than to be sent away to get something you didn't carry with you.

This is definitely not true of Chiang Mai two days ago.

My wife and I have applied for retirement extensions for the last 11 consecutive years from the same address, without documentary proof. This year it was stated in advance by our Agent (an ex Immigration Officer) that proof of residence IS now required and this was proven to be completely correct when the application was submitted.

Edited by ChrisKC

I am guessing, like others, that it is the TM30 that immigration want. The filling out of the form 3650 days late, rather than within 24 hours, may result in a fine of almost 1,000 baht. Fortunately, the penalty for failing to satisfy this archaic and arcane regulation is as outdated as the regulation itself.

I have been in Chiang Mai for 5 years and have never been asked for the TM-30. Are farangs responsible for the owner's failure to know about the law and file the form?

I just did my annual extension last week. The only additional forms I had to do were a bunch of 'I acknowledge' the penalties for overstay, and two additional forms for my current address and income declaration.

None of these seemed to have a TM number, just some printed up declaration for signature

I just went this week for my extension of retirement visa and the new thing is that when its the first time, you need a contract or paper from compagny thats own the place where you live.for the rest is everything the same tm 7 and copy this and that ....